Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

@Threads yes same OS. Well slept for a few more hours than the night before, this time woke up to not being able to move my right leg, realized the thirty pound Maine coon cat was laying on my leg and no amount of wiggling was going to get him to move. Thank goodness it wasn't the left leg, he has stayed away from that leg, so he must know it is off limits. Of course now that I am awake. Oh well I have slept for almost five hours straight. I think that fairy dust helped a bit.

The hip has decided to just hurt all the time now no matter what I do. Cannot wait until Monday, I suspect that I will have to make another appointment so he can discuss the hip as they can talk only one joint at a time. Must be an insurance thing.
 
@fiberlady - hope today was better. Wish I could help more than the occasional shipment of fairy dust! Most animals are amazing - they seem to just sense that certain areas are a no-no. Not being a cat fan - I'm soooo allergic to them - I just looked up what a Maine Coon cat was. Wow, no wonder yours is 30 lbs. - the largest cat breed around??? Beautiful looking though, as long as one of us was in a glass cage. It's funny, one of my weaving buddies has a Siamese (with Personality) and I'm not allergic to him.

I'm sure your OS will talk to you about your hip, but probably you're right - it will have to be another appointment for x-rays and plans. Please keep me posted.
 
Actually had a pretty good weekend, despite the terrible weather we have been having. Snow and freezing temperatures. The knee has been a little stiff, but as long as I keep it moving every so often it does okay. My hip has been pretty good the last two days, so I am hopeful. Doctor appointment tomorrow afternoon and hopefully some answers.

@Threads I was able to get the mug rugs off the loom, it was fast weaving even on a table loom. Been working on a knitted cowl and sent home one of my wheels with a friend that wants to learn how to spin. A group of us on Saturday ventured out to a small weaving yarn warehouse about an hour away. It was my first long all day outing walked around and then sat in front of the wood stove to keep warm as the warehouse was cold while the others shopped and then went to, lunch, came home and took an hour nap. It was a great day. I purchased a 5 lb cone of 8/2 cotton that I plan on using for a dye workshop this summer. I will have a lot to work with. I am hoping that by summer I will be in tip top shape. Will definetly let you know what the OS says.
 
@fiberlady - it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! Wandering around a yarn store and then lunch with friends, what a perfect day. A 5 lb. come of 2/8 cotton???? Do I see warp painting in your future?

I'm getting closer to winding the warp for my table loom, but I have to skein and set the yarn I've plied before I can do that. I've got my spreadsheet made up and my draft in PCW - so now to find the time. I'm out everyday this week, that's a first since surgery.

I've been thinking of you today and trust you had a successful appointment with your OS.
 
@Threads i went to my OS this afternoon and he is arranging for me to have an injection in the hip. It is an outpatient procedure I am just waiting for them to get clearance from my insurance and then set the date, he agreed that this would help me get through the therapy and until I can have the surgery. He said my knee was good and to continue therapy for the next month. I go back in a month. I feel good about this. He said that the hip looked bad from the X-ray almost a year ago and said it was probably worse now, he was not even going to X-ray it again, just said lets do the injection, so hopefully it will happen within the next week or so.

We talked about the slow progress of this knee compared to last time and he said as I already knew each knee is different. This knee has become my problem child, but I think once I get the pain in the hip under control it will be better.

I just came home from our guild meeting, we had a speaker in to talk about weaving Mongolian saddle bags. As well as a talk about camels and spinning of the camel fiber. Normally this months meeting is not very well attended and we had every member but one show up. I was so happy for such a great turn out.
 
@fiberlady - that's positive news from your OS - something to relieve your pain now and a plan to go forward when the time is right. I'm glad you have another appointment in a month.

My right knee is the good one in most ways except extension, my left leg is weaker as is my knee, for whatever reason, and yet they both have the same birthday - both times ;-) I drove to visit with a friend today over tea. I can climb into the van and drive because my right side is good. No two are alike!

Sounds like an interesting Guild meeting and I'm glad you had a great turn out. Ours is Thursday and I'll be going with a friend. We have a textile conservator coming to speak to us. She suggested that members could bring textiles to show her, if they had questions. I'll bring my great-grandmother and my grandmother's handmade lace to get some idea on how to clean it. Mom had it wrapped in Saran Wrap!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't' know if it was therapy on Monday or sitting through a guild meeting for 2 1/2 hours or both, but my hip was really bad when I got up this morning. So today ended up with me sitting around and doing nothing. I could barely put weight on my hip it hurt so bad. I took some pain meds and that helped a bit but still feel very sore walking. I will be glad when they call me and let me know when I can go for the injection in the hip. My knee on the other hand is doing just fine and I am working on bending the knee when I walk so it doesn't look like I have a tree trunk. As I walk I say bend it, bend it.
 
I lucked out and had the more difficult knee first. :wink: Talking to the knee is not unheard of. :)
It sounds like the rest of your body is acting up now. :(
 
In rehab, my PT would walk behind me and tap the back of my knees, to remind me to bend them. We've gone so long not doing it, you have to retrain your knee and your brain into the normal way. Sorry to hear today was a bad day. Hope the phone call comes soon.
 
@Threads and @fiberlady
Just popped across to catch up on this thread. Thank you both for a lovely read...so enjoying your to and fro conversation about life fabrics and knees. Great tonic girls...cheers Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
I hate waiting and waiting and waiting. Have not heard from the OS office yet, I called and left a message asking them to please let me know where I stand. Today wasn't too bad, but I am getting a little tired of this, I want to be able to get back to doing the things that will help my knee. I have been doing all the exercises that don't involve my hip.

It is so cold here and wonder if this is just adding to my discomfort today.

:gaah:
 
Sorry you haven't heard from your OS - hopefully you'll get an appointment for the shot for your hip tomorrow. It would be good to get it settled before the weekend.

I went to my first post-surgery Guild meeting today. It was good to see familiar faces and have a few seconds to chat. Our business and announcement portion of the meeting took far too long today so visiting time was short. Our speaker gave me some ideas of how to wash and possibly mount some of the antique lace. I was worried about washing it but apparently Orvus is the best being ph neutral - and I always have that around to scour stuff prior to dyeing.

I certainly hope tomorrow is a better day for you. You are still buried in snow and our cherry trees are putting out blossoms. I just hope that we don't get a deep frost, it's still possible and then we'll have some very unhappy blueberry growers. The blueberries are putting out buds too! It's been a crazy winter for everyone, weather wise!
 
It has been so cold here, it is -7 this morning, windchill is well let's say it is really cold. Schools are closed for the second day in a row and tomorrow we are expected for a warm up and of course snow!!!!

When I went to ice my knee the other day my husband suggested I just go stand outside for a while, my knee will freeze and feel so much better.:rofsign: We have to keep a sense of humor it doesn't look like next week is going to be much better.

@Threads I certainly hope I hear something soon. I so want to get on with everything. I am headed up stairs to make a couple of warps, I have a vertical warping mill that I can sit while I make warps. I bought it just because I could no longer stand to make warps. I will have so many warps ready when I can get back to my looms that I will be a busy weaver forever. I am headed out on Saturday to go look at a 12 harness mechanical dobby loom. It is apparently one of the original AVL's. She is practically giving it away. I cannot afford a compu dobby so this will have to do. I want to do some echo weaves. Take care and I hope you are doing well.
 
@fiberlady - did you hear anything from your OS today? Boy, this weather system that has you buried in it sure has to move out, move on (but I wouldn't wish it on anyone else) and generally disappear. Spring has got to be around the corner but I remember the dirty, grey slush of my childhood. Hopefully you'll get a great summer and by then the pain in your hip will be controlled while you wait for it to be replaced.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do on your "new to you" AVL. I tend to not be fond of complex structures but like the simpler ones with lots of colour. I'm also planning to get my warping mill up this weekend and get, at least, one warp wound.

Have fun tomorrow!!
 
Waited all day heard nothing from my OS office, I will call again on Monday and this time try to get a person instead of a machine.

I got up Friday morning to a swollen knee, it actually felt good all night long, so don't understand why it would be swollen. So I sat and iced when I first got up, a lot of pain below the knee, a lot of soft tissue pain. Finally at lunch time decided I had enough of the discomfort so took a pain pill.

I have been able to finally do heel slides with out having to help my leg along. It has been seven weeks and just now can do them without help. This is so frustrating, I was able to do heel slides since the first day with the right knee. I know, I know, but it is just so frustrating on how much slower this knee is than the last one.

I am wondering if this cold weather we are having is causing some of my problems, I guess I was also walking more last time than I am this time. I need to find a place to go walk. I told my husband I was giving up winter for lent, he wants to know how that is working for me. :snork:

@Threads I managed to make two warps, the first a dummy warp for the rug loom and the second for the huck lace towel workshop. I had signed up for this workshop when my surgery was scheduled for the November date. I have been able to weave on my table loom, I just hope I can manage all day. I am going with a friend so she will be able to help me manuver if I need help. I am excited about this 12 harness loom, I cannot wait to work up a bunch of cool patterns in PCW and use them on the loom. I especially am fond of the more complex twill patterns. I cannot wait to get back to weaving.
 
@fiberlady - is your workshop a Round Robin? If it is, and you have other friends taking it, maybe you can ask them if you can weave off your sample on their loom, after the workshop. That way you can concentrate on the samples on looms you won't have access to afterwards. It's worked for me - particularly at a Summer and Winter Workshop where we had to do 13 samples in 3 days! I'm a slow weaver in a workshop situation.

I'm impressed that you got your warps wound even though your knee was really acting up. You probably have "hit the nail on the head". You aren't as mobile this time, due to the weather. Walking does help!
 
@Threads no round robin and we are not sharing samples so I can weave at my own pace which is nice, I can just finish it at home. Since I am bringing a table loom it weaves slower than the floor looms so I will be weaving when I get home.

I picked up my new to me loom and can't wait till it gets in the house tomorrow morning. It is so easy to use and since I don't have to lift or move my leg I can easily use it now. So glad I got it. Now that I am retired I can spend more time doing the things I love.

Just wish this knee was like the other one, I was in the car for a good three hours and then stood for about five minutes and the knee did not want to bend going up the stairs. We are going walking tomorrow, I hope that will help. The weather was a lot warmer today and will be again tomorrow, then the cold weather returns for a few more days.
 
That's great that the workshop is one where you can do your samples at home, without pressure! I always feel that I'm being pushed in a round robin, but the samples are nice. What is your workshop?

How exciting to get the new loom and I look forward to seeing photos of what you've woven on it. I've just added your blog to my Feedly app, so I'll be able to see photos there when you post them.
 
Had a busy weekend. Spent two hours one way in the car as a passenger. Wasn't too bad. We were running a long distance errand (I was purchasing a new to me weaving loom, crazy I know to go such a long distance, but it was a good deal). I had to stand for about fifteen minutes, which I managed with my cane, but when I tried to go up the stairs my knee did not want to bend. My knee was very stiff all day.

On Sunday we went to the Henry Ford Museum and walked around for about 45 minutes. I had no problem at all, did not get tired and had no pain. Later on during the day I was having some pain below the knee. Still today my knee feels very stiff. I thought maybe with some walking my knee would feel better.

This has been a very frustrating eight weeks.

@Threads the workshop is with Rosalie Nielson "Huck Lace Towels". Using 8/2 cotton. Three sections of huck lace with each section a different color. About 13 inches wide on my Leclerc 8 harness voyager table loom. Warp is made and will spend the week threading the loom, not too bad about 230 ends.
 
What an interesting and fun weekend you had! I saw the photo of the loom on your blog. It looks great and should give you the shafts you want to use to explore echo weave structures.

I thought if you were not doing a round robin, then it must be a single threading and ways to change your results. Huck should be fun and interesting. The warp I'm waiting to wind (why I'm waiting, I don't know) is huck. I've progressed as far as bringing my mill upstairs from the basement - does that count as progress???

Hope you hear from the OS tomorrow.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom