Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally!!! The second new knee!

What a day, my knee was so stiff, it felt like if I moved the wrong way it was going to break. The pain has been awful today. I have been icing and elevating about 20 minutes four times already today. In between time, I would go for a walk around the house, I can't stand for too long as the pain gets unbearable. I finally took a pain pill because I could not stand it and the motrin did not touch the pain.
Of course the hip pain is bad today too. Kind of felt like crawling back in bed and not getting out for a few days.

@Threads well I did it, I ordered my new table loom today, I decided on the Jane. I thought about it and kept tossing it around and reading reviews and decided why not. I just hope it gets here before the next workshop at the end of April. I am taking Diaper Weave with one of our local teachers. We have 12 of us in the workshop.
 
@Threads - at least you had a positive note in your day!!! My friends that have Jane looms love them. They are easy to fold up with a warp on and take to workshops. I still would keep my Woolhouse (even though I covet a Jane) because it has 12 harnesses and I can do Summer and Winter on it, plus lots of other options. Check out the section on Jane Stafford's Helpline that gives questions owners of Jane Looms have asked - so far. We only put up real questions and Jane answers them - broken link removed: https://janestaffordtextiles.com/weavinghelp/?page_id=345 Did you get a 4 or an 8?

I've re-washed my sample in the washing machine on gentle, dried it in the dryer and then ironed it. I needed it to full a bit more and that did it. I'm going to reduce the height of the blocks, I think but I'll sleep on it. I have a friend coming tomorrow and we're going to work on the theory of Blocks - I've printed out a lot of graph paper for us to work on. I'll get her opinion on the scarf sample.

I hope tomorrow is a better day!
 
I did not have time to think about my knee pain today, our granddaughter spent the day with me, we played all day. The knee is stiff and hurts, at least i was able to keep it elevated a lot though.

Finally got the time for my injection in my hip. 8 am on saturday. Boy do I hope this makes a difference.

@Threads I made up my mind after visiting Jane's website and reading the discussion that you sent me to a few weeks ago. I ordered the 8 harness 27.5. I wanted it to be comparable to my baby wolf yet something I could get into the car without help. I have a flat cart that I can put it on. Now just wondering if I should get the stand. It was definetly more than what I had wanted to spend, but figured I would be happier in the long run. Now I need to decide if I want to sell the baby wolf. Hopefully I can spend the day weaving tomorrow and hoping I have a good knee day.
 
The shot will make a difference - don't even question it @fiberlady! You don't have long to wait. Does it normally give you relief right away or does it take a few days? I did an exercise my left knee didn't like at aquafit on Friday and Monday I think I figured out which one it was. I'll avoid it tomorrow and see if it helps.

I'm glad you decided on the Jane, it's so nice and compact when it folds down. My Woolhouse needs a cart to move it, that's why it's never leaving home again. I have one friend that has the stand and leaves it set up permanently (unless it's going to a workshop) and another that has it set up on a table that's a good height in combination with a bench or chair. Both use their Janes as an active loom in their lives. One of them has a second Jane (the smaller one) that she takes to workshops. Do you use the Baby Wolf at home or just for workshops? Don't sell it if you might regret it - that's what I did with my Lendrum.

I sometimes smile at our weaving posts. Our language is one that other BoneSmarties, if they read it, must wonder whether we're on weird drugs! Speaking of words - a friend came over today and we spent a couple of hours working on understanding units and blocks so we could weave a sample for our Block group. My head is still spinning.

Hopefully tomorrow is a good day.
 
Our grandaughter was here again today. She has not been feeling well so her and I laid around today, my knee seemed to like the day off and has been behaving. My hip is another story and I can't wait until Saturday for the injection.

@Threads I really don't know that much about the injection, other than it being done in the hospital and is cortisone. I opted not to have the injection in my other hip and did the replacement, but my hip was so far gone that they did not think it would give me any relief. I do know that if it works, it only lasts about two months. Then I will need to make a decision, either another injection or replacement.
 
Somehow I got into my head that you had had a shot before you went through with your last hip replacement. I was looking at cortisone shots for my hand after an over use injury a couple of years ago. You just reminded me about the incident which is a totally different situation from yours. If I recall correctly, I was told that I could only have 3 cortisone shots in the same place during my life. The cortisone eventually damages the area if done too often. Maybe that would be a question to ask.

Three more sleeps until you get some relief!
 
@Threads Yep only 3 is allowed. I had two in the right knee and one in the left knee and was told the same thing. I am just hoping this will hold me over until I can get through the summer and then get the hip done. This is beginning to be boring. I need to go get my park pass so I can walk at our park. It seems walking so far is the only thing that doesn't bother either the hip or the knee. They have an exercise room that I will check out and when June comes the pool opens and I can use it to do some walking exercises in the water. Sorry to hear about your back, I hope it gets better, I have arthritis in my back from an injury years ago and I spent a month in traction. I don't even think they do that anymore.

On a good note, I had ordered the Louet Jane from the Woolery and they were out and it had to be back ordered, I would not get it until May sometime. Well Paradise Fibers had one in stock and I should be able to have it before the next workshop. I am very excited about getting it. My poor husband just shakes his head. I have been weaving the huck towels and I had my husband help me wind on because I ran out of my winding on material I used some paper and he cut it I didn't realize this and now I am having tension issues. Yikes. I almost feel like cutting it off re-winding it back on and weave off another towel. Looks like by the time I get this off I will only get two towels out of a four yard warp. I did learn a lot and will weave these towels again.

I laughed at what you said about other bonesmarties reading these posts and yes they probably think we are overdoing the meds.
 
I don't understand why you have to get a park pass to walk in the park. We have to buy park passes to park in National Parks or feed the meter in some parking lots but to just walk? Anyway, the Tylenol kicked in and I've been careful to take it on time today. It was very sore this morning until it eventually kicked in. Tomorrow I see the chiropractor again and I'll tell her about the pain. However, today we twin sat after school and they walked with me to Granville Island which is a little over a km. from their place. So, there and back was about 1 1/2 miles. My back and knees felt good!

I'm glad you were able to get your Jane and I'm sure you will have it in time for your workshop. I'm curious - what winding on material do you use? I always use paper and wind on back to front, on both looms using a raddle.

Two more sleeps.
 
@Threads where I live we have private city parks that are on lake St Clair, each year we must go to the city hall and pick up our park passes. We have a very nice walking path and an olympic size pool, and an exercise room. There are several metro parks and state parks that we go to throughout the year which require paid passes. Our city park is about two miles from our home, so it is close and offers many amenities. Before it became so hard to cross the border we frequented many of the parks along the Canadian border. One of our favorite places was Point Pelee. Going there in September for the migration of the monarch butterfly. We were able to catch one splendid day when the park was full of the Monarch. It was truly a sight.

I can only hope that my body will one day be without pain and I can once again walk long distances. How lovely that you were able and capable to walk 1 1/2 miles. Traveling to parks in our neighboring state of Ohio was one of the other things we loved to do. They have many State and Metro Parks that require no admission fee and we have explored many. It will be nice to continue to do that.

Oh my, I normally have a nice roll of paper for all of my looms but apparently I did not have a roll large enough to accomodate the warp I was putting on, normally I warp back to front, but lately I have been warping front to back ever sense I took a Kathryn Weber of Blazing Shuttles workshop last June. I then was using some sheets of wrapping paper and asked my husband to make sure they wound on straight while I held the tension from the front, I had no idea that he cut the paper shorter than the width of the warp and he was not consistent either. I have been messing with it and making it work, and have a towel half woven. I am hoping this will come off the loom by Monday. Once I get past what he put on I should be okay. I don't have much further to go.

How is your study of block weaves coming along? I took a block workshop from Robyn Spady a couple of years ago, I know what you mean by your head spinning. I actuallly cannot wait until I have all of these commitments out of the way and I can put on my loom a warp with tablets. I took a class with Inge Dam last summer and have been itching to put a warp on one of the looms with a section of cards, the prep for getting everything on the loom was terrifying and Inge was so patient with all of us, but once we got the warp on the loom and started weaving, I was hooked. If you have ever seen some of her work, it is amazing, she said that a piece she was working on took nine months to weave and she only wove so many inches in eight hours.
 
I guess your parks are somewhat the same as our rec centres. The pool we go to is in a rec centre and we buy an annual pass to use it. We used to by monthly passes but decided that we would save more money with an annual. That pass gets us into any city of Vancouver Recreational Centres - so, if I decide to walk down to the one closest to me to do some core work in the fitness centre, my pass gets me in. However, walking in the parks is free - it's parking that costs money in our biggest park. It's Stanley Park and we rarely go there because of the crowds. I'm lucky that we have a big park close by and I can walk there. I plan to do that now that I know I can - but today was a breath of sunshine in a sea of rain! When you mentioned Point Pelee, my heart did a little sad jump. When we drove across Canada I so wanted to go to Point Pelee. We were in Toronto in September but we had been away from home (and Mom, who was still living at 99) for over three months, and we just didn't have the time. I had a commitment in Vancouver on the third Thursday in September and I felt I needed to be there. It was our Guild's AGM and I was President at the time. So there was a whole section of Ontario that we missed, saying that we could get back there some day. We were living in ignorant bliss and had no idea what was happening to our retirement fund - it was 2008! We really didn't find out until we got home - which was a good thing!

I used to warp front to back until Jane came into my life. Now I warp back to front for almost everything and I do it by myself. I found some good paper at Michael's the other day and Doug cut 10 inches off the roll to fit the 23" table loom. Have you ever watched her Louet Warping videos on YouTube? The first one seems to be missing but you can get that information from the Helpline under broken link removed: https://janestaffordtextiles.com/weavinghelp/?page_id=854 Warping has never been so easy and pleasant since I started doing it this way.

If I can' they my head around blocks - how on earth could I get my head around combining tablet weaving with shaft weaving! I'll look forward to seeing what you produce. I've got some quiet time this weekend so I need to work out a 6 block sample to bring to our next Block meeting. I'll have to do it on the Woolhouse which means I need to get weaving the scarves that I have on the loom!

I'm starting to fall asleep. Hope tomorrow is a better day!
 
Had a really bad day on Friday, the knee behaved but the hip was awful had wished the injection was right then and there. I did have the injection this morning. Not sure if it is working or not, they have me just resting today, we will see what tomorrow brings, we are going out to a fiber festival and there is a little walking, thank goodness it is not a real large one. The whole procedure only took a few minutes, it took longer to prep me and have me wake up in recovery than it did to do it. I guess I will never know unless I try.

@Threads I have actually watched those videos of Jane's warping method. I am so excited, the loom will be here on Tuesday. Hope you are having a pain free weekend.
 
Fingers crossed that the cortisone is going to help and that you wake up tomorrow with less pain. :fingersx:

I wish I could say I'm having a pain free weekend, however my back is quite sore and it certainly doesn't like sitting, unsupported, on the weaving bench. I've looked at the chairs I have with backs, but they are too low and I would be weaving with the shuttle literally under my nose. However, I've woven a bit, rested a bit, and so on.

How exciting about your Jane's arrival. That's really quick! Are you going to put a warp on it to test it out before the workshop?
 
@Threads I too have my fingers crossed I am hoping this will work. I think I am coming down with a cold. I took a nap when I came home and awoke to watery eyes and a runny nose. Yikes. I believe I caught this from my granddaughter, again.

My husband bought me a desk chair that could be raised and lowered. So now I have wheels, a back and can raise it to the height I need. It helps with my back something that I have been dealing with for over 30 some years, so I know your pain. A weaving friend of mine tells all of us to weave for 15 minutes at a time and then come back to it.

Yes a warp will go on this loom that is already done and sitting here for me to weave two scarves, it is a silk warp that I bought years ago from Karen Selk with silk chenille. I took it out and said this will be the first thing I weave. It is not very wide and should weave up pretty quick.
 
Good idea about the chair! I have one in my loom room and one in front of my computer. I'll ask Doug to bring the one in the loom room down to the living room. It sure sounds like I've got my stuff spread all over the house - and I have! Is it possible you have Hay Fever rather than a cold? I don't know how far the pollen producing plants have progressed in your area but I've been taking antihistamines for about 2 months because spring came really early here.

That warp sounds wonderful. I've got cones of white chenille in my stash - one of these days I should paint a warp with it, that would be fun.

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new Jsne with a warp on it on your blog!
 
Well I got a walk in today, it actually felt pretty good, the knee seems to be doing better, just experiencing a little pain on the right side of the knee, that same pain, haven't had it in awhile so was surprised tonight when it started up again. My hip is actually behaving itself, so maybe the injection was a good thing. But now both my husband and I have colds, I guess I am going to hibernate for a few days. Need to get a good book and some chicken soup.
 
I'm glad the cortisone seems to be working but sorry that you both have come down with colds. Take it easy and rest up until your parcel arrives ;-)

The office chair seems to help a bit at the loom, thanks for the idea. My knees are no longer sore and it's annoying to have a sore back.
 
Wow! who could have guessed that the hip pain was causing so much of my other pain. I am having a pain free day. I am at the 3 month mark as of yesterday and I actually feel almost normal. I know that the hip injection is just a band aide but what a great band aide for right now.
 
Such great news, Cindy! You are waaaaay overdue for a pain free day. Make sure to catch up on some sleep while you can and hope the colds are on the mend.

I've got 1/2 the scarf woven by weaving in little bites of time do my back doesn't scream too loud at me.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
 
This all seems so unreal, I am so glad that this injection is working as I cannot believe how good I finally feel. Having pain every day tires one out. I actually feel like doing things again instead of being a log on the sofa. My poor hubby keeps reminding me to slow down, I know he is right, but so many things need tending to. I guess they all will have to wait there turn, it is just a great feeling not to be in pain.

@Threads wow, wow, it came today and I only got to take it out of the box. We have our granddaughter for a couple of days as mom is in New York on business and dad has to work nights this week, so we are busy with our little sweetie. The loom will have to wait until either Friday or Saturday to be put together. I can't wait to use her. I am delivering the Voyager to her new owner on Thursday and was able to weave off 3 towels. I need to wash and hem them. Have been putting on 10 yards for samples that go to the state guild (Michigan League of Handweavers) in a overshot name draft pattern. Luckily I don't have to do all the weaving myself, just the loom prep. It feels good to get back to weaving, hope your back is not bothering you too much, I am knocking on wood as mine has not bothered me in a while. I have a ruptered disk, happened over 30 years ago with a pinched nerve that has caused nerve damage in my left leg. I don't want to go down that path for surgery on my back, having two knees, a hip and another one in the near future is all I can handle. Happy weaving.
 
Grandchildren trump looms anyday! The loom will wait patiently until you have time to put it together and really get a good look at it. Have fun with your granddaughter.

It's such good news that the shot is working and giving you pain free days. I'm weaving but need to take breaks. My back is still bothering me and I can only weave for a bit, and then rest it. I have about 20” to go on the first scarf and after slow going, I've finally memorized the pattern repeats. It's so frustrating to have gone through the surgery on both knees and have them doing so well, to have my back give me grief now!

You've gone through so much already and have more surgery in your future - no, you certainly don't need to deal with a back issue.

I gather the colds are better!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom