THR Finally On The Recovery Side

I had a tiny crack in my hip so they want me.to do 50% weight bearing. I guess I wasn't sure she that was.
 
Ahhhhh @Mersada Then stick to what your surgeon says - 50% weight bearing until your surgeon says it's healed well and you can go to full weight bearing. I hope they showed you in the hospital exactly how to do the 50%!
 
Happy to hear positive vibes so soon after surgery. Love hearing how your family is stepping up too. Makes me realize I should try to be more attuned to people who may be in need of a little help. I go Wednesday and have insomnia already, but you are an inspiration.
 
It's day five. Today they said to expect a lot of swelling. That was right, this leg is feeling stiff and tight. I'm icing so not too bad. I'm doing the five exercises that they told me to do in bed. I am still just in my recliner. I don't have much to report. I'm taking 5mg of oxy, not sure if I even need it. The leg just feels tight today.
 
I hope that the “crack” heals quickly. For me, My doctor told me weight bearing as tolerated. At first I was probably only 50% but now I can stand on one foot while balancing on the walker. I wonder why things are so different? Thank goodness for this site! It helps me to find a balance.
 
Yes because of the crack the os said 50% and I would have to stay on the walker a month. Seems like a long time but I would rather be safe than sorry.
 
How was your overnight, Mersada and how is today going so far?
Hopefully you’re getting some decent sleep and your pain is well managed.
Wishing you a good afternoon and evening! :ice:
@Mersada
 
Hi @ Layla,
My night went well. I am sleeping on the recliner. My pain is minimal. Its mostly swelling and stiffness. I am using my gel packs.
I have my next virtual PT session tomorrow. I would imagine she is going to have the standing exercises for me to do. The side and back kicks. I haven't even looked at the booklet yet. I feel like those exercises will be too much considering my leg is stiff feeling stiff and heavy.
Can't complain though, I am able to sleep and nap ok with pain level a zero when in my chair.

My sister was just by today to bring me cake and coffee and clean up after and feed the dogs she also brought me my mail.

All in all. Recovery has been 100% better than I thought it would be. I guess all that pre anxiety was for nothing. Lol
 
Hi there,
I slept well in the recliner also. Surprised me actually. It’s wonderful to hear you’re only dealing with minimal pain because I know that was a great concern of yours. It sounds like your family is really attentive, Mersada. You’re lucky. I think once you get beyond one week post op you’ll feel more confident and have a routine down. Getting the shower routine down while someone was around was high priority for me since I believed I’d feel unsettled if I wanted to shower and was hindered in any way.

Good luck with virtual PT tomorrow....sounds so weird, I can’t imagine it, lol.
@Mersada
 
I have my next virtual PT session tomorrow. I would imagine she is going to have the standing exercises for me to do. The side and back kicks. I haven't even looked at the booklet yet. I feel like those exercises will be too much considering my leg is stiff feeling stiff and heavy.
If you feel those exercises ae too much, just don't do them. Say "My hip isn't ready for those yet. I'll try them a bit later." It's your hip and you are in charge.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
I definitely don't think my hip is ready for those side kicks and backward knee bends. My leg is still.pretty heavy. He also cut a tendon in my groin area, I think, some kind of release of some sort. Will see what she suggests tomorrow. I think these virtual PT sessions are a waste of time.
 
I definitely don't think my hip is ready for those side kicks and backward knee bends

Then consider dropping them for now. Reflect on the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I know you’ve been around long enough to have read of many success stories via the BoneSmart way. Can PT be helpful and does it work? Of course it does for many, but not all. You can always take it up at a later date if you find there is something you need to work on.

Swelling lasts for months for some, normally not to the degree you’re probably experiencing this early on. Ice any / all areas that are causing discomfort and Elevate also. At only six days post op, swelling is uncomfortable, but normal. Also make sure you’re getting up to move during the day per the instruction in the Activity Progression For THR in the Recovery Guidelines.

I hope today is a good one for you!
@Mersada
 
Thanks @Layla ,
I'm going to continue to do the five bed exercises they gave me to do. I'm going to skip the others for now.

The swelling seems worse at night. Very tight. The groin area hurts a bit when I'm walking....that tendon he cut, hope it heals quickly

My PT called.out sick today so they are giving me.a.different. PT at 530 pm. Lets see what she has to say.

I have been sleeping in the recliner. Its where I feel most comfortable. for now. Hard to elevate in the recliner. I might try the bed later.just to elevate for a.bit. I definitely want to get rid of the swelling.

All in all my energy and spirits are.good. I'm surprised, I would.have thought the blues would.kick.in earlier .

Also, the os must have really pulled.at my knee that is where most of my swelling is
 
the os must have really pulled.at my knee that is where most of my swelling is
They grab your knee to dislocate your hip. Most new hippies have more pain and swelling in the knee than in the new hip. Ice that knee as well.
 
I had my virtual PT. She just had me walk to the kitchen. I told her I wasn't up for much. That groin muscle he cut is giving me a hard time walking. It feels so heavy and tight. Thankfully, it doesn't hurt while sitting. Getting comfortable in the chair takes a bit of effort. I usually have to help my leg along with my hands. The PT didn't push me to do anything. She said these first two weeks are hardest and just focus on routine bathroom and kitchen walks... That is good.enough. I took.5/ mg oxy. I have six left. The PT was going to.pass a.note along to the nurse for a refill. Hopefully, pain and swelling doesn't escalate.
 
It’s really too bad that the opiod crisis has made it so they won’t even give you enough pain meds after major surgery. I’m sure you will get a refill without a problem, but it would just be easier if they gave us enough to begin with. I would think most people need them for at least two weeks. I just had to get a refill for another weeks worth.
 
Back
Top Bottom