Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally found a new surgeon

Hey Gary....I'm 11 months out on second knee. In fact it's my birthday today! 71..,I' m so grateful that I can hike again. Been a long time.

This second one has been slow as molasses. I have great ROM but stiffness and some soreness has hung on. I can do everything I want but it lets me know everyday it AIN'T DONE YET!!

What I really wanted to share with you was that the first knee randomly continued to gain flexion between year one and two.
When I say random I mean unexpectedly.. Get up one day and lo and behold more bend!!

So happy you're enjoying life. I believe you will continue to get more bend.
 
@Hopetohike
Thank you so much for the encouragement it’s always been hard for me to “JUST BE PATIENT”
I’m 66 and hopefully still got a way to go but with comments from Great people like yourself, I feel so much better. I’m just going th have to be patient.:yahoo::thumb:
 
Just reporting in.
I am at 9 months Post Op, and it seems I am going backwards. For the past two or three weeks now, my knee is starting to give me pain that I haven’t had for several months, and also starting to swell, and my ROM is back to where it was at two or three months Post Op. I have been very active doing my regular activities. When I go to Church there is just no way I can kneel.
Can anybody relate? “I am Icing and elevating”:scratch::beg::shrug::what:
 
Hi Gary. Sorry to hear you're having some swelling and soreness. You're icing and elevating... but have you been resting? Resting gives your knee the time it needs to settle down. Once we get active again, it can be really hard to slow down for a spell. It's probably activity that is causing your knee to act up.

Have you done anything new lately? A new exercise or activity? Sometimes when we introduce a new activity into our routine the knee will be unhappy at first. If that's the case, back off the activity for a few weeks before trying it again. Your knee may be more accepting of it after a bit more healing.
 
@SusieShoes,
Thank you for always getting back to me, I haven’t done anything new, however I haven’t been resting much ether, been going pretty hard, trying to make up for lost time I gauess. I will “try” to slow it down and let my knee rest a bit. Just got concerned when it started to hurt again and swell, and get stiff as a board again. You know me, it’s just so hard to be patient.
Thanks again .:dancy:
 
I haven’t been resting much ether, been going pretty hard, trying to make up for lost time
You have your answer right there! Your knee is still healing and needs rest.
 
@sistersinhim
Today is Memorial Day and I think that I am going to have to call my OP Dr tomorrow and make an appointment to see him. I have been resting for the last three or four days, my knee is getting much stiffer a d it is swelling more and really hurting me quite a bit. Don’t know what is going on, seems to be going backwards.:shrug::sigh::what:
 
Ut oh, now is the time to call him and get checked out. It should be improving with rest.
 
Sorry to be a nuisance but as I am a newbie here I am unfamiliar with the acronym ROM. Could you please explain what it is. Also, Mr Gary you said that you are getting 90 degrees on your knee bend after 9 months. I do not know if that is good or not but just before I left the hospital after my surgery last week the physiotherapist pushed my leg to obtain a measured 89 degrees. Try as she might she couldn't get the 90 degree bend. Now I am at home though I do not try to get a 90 degree bend as the pain was plain awful. To be honest I guess I would be at a comfortable 80 degrees now. Great news about the hiking from yourself as it is a passion of mine and one that i am most looking forward to getting back to. Besides driving of course, but I plan to try that when the swelling goes down a bit further.
 
@MrFymie
Thank you for the reply, I had my total knee replacement on 8/9/17, had it real rough the first 4 months, I had excruciating pain and swelling, things started getting much better. I took the advice of a lot of people on here and stop the P T, the pain and swelling went almost to zero, I just went on with my everyday activities like before the knee thing. My ROM ( Range of Motion) never has gotten better than 90 degrees, everyone on here tells me not to worry about it, that it will come eventually :shrug:
However the past two or three weeks l am starting to have a lot of pain and swelling, about like it was around 3 or 4 months after surgery. I’m going to call my Dr tomorrow and make an appointment with him and see just what’s going on with my knee, seems like I’m going backwards.
I wish you well and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
 
I’m sorry to hear you have increased pain and swelling.

The discomfort I’ve been having all along is starting to move into a pain level. :blackcloud: I have contact info for 2 surgeons for a second, and maybe a third, option when I’m ready to make that phone call. I’m not quite ready yet.
 
Sorry to be a nuisance but as I am a newbie here I am unfamiliar with the acronym ROM. Could you please explain what it is.
ROM is Range of Motion/ Movement. It includes both bending (flexion) and straightening (extension).
Here is an article that lists the abbreviations we use most frequently:
abbreviations and acronyms

Most surgeons don't expect a bend of 90 degrees until about 6 weeks post-op.
 
@Celle
Well, here I am at 10 months post op, and my ROM has not gotten any better, I am very active, walking a lot,mowing my yard with no problem ( walk behind mower), can only bend my knee 90 degrees. So is this about as good as it’s going to be ? :scratch: :shrug:
 
hi @Mr Gary ~ on your may 28th post you mentioned you were having "a lot of pain and swelling" ~ is that still the case? i hope that 90 degrees flexion is NOT as good as it's going to be ~ you deserve to have more improvement. have you been back to your dr. to look into this? i think you should push for answers and a solution. sorry i can't offer any advice. my flexion took a leap at the 7 month post op point when i could finally ride my city bike.

it's great that you are so active and it's a mystery that your flexion hasn't improved ~ perhaps it's just taking longer than most. are you still icing and elevating after a strenuous day's work? hope you can find answers and a solution. don't give up.:fingersx:
 
@liam2015
I am icing and elevating quite often, just don’t understand, is this something I should be concerned about?
Just don’t know if a MUA, is going to be necessary, I see my Dr in August, which will be my 1year mark, he is going to think I haven’t been exercising it enough. I have never been lazy in my life, like some would just set around and do nothing. What do you think about my situation? :what: :shrug: :sigh:

Don’t want to go through that pain after a MUA.
 
Are you still having pain, @Mr Gary? If you have no pain, or it is minimal, you could try some gentle exercises such as those in this thread by one of our forum advisors: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-and-extension-stretches.13159/

Although you are active — I doubt anyone will ever be able to accuse you of being lazy! — your activities may not require much knee bending. Some gentle bending might help your flexion.
 
Hi @Mr Gary
It is possible that you will still gain more ROM, because ROM can continue to improve for well over a year.
But your ROM does seem to have been stuck for quite a while now.

Try doing the exercises that SusieShoes recommended. If you've seen no improvement by the time of your august appointment with your surgeon, maybe you should consider having the MUA.

If you do have the MUA, yes, there will probably be some pain, but nothing like the original post-op pain.
The other thing to remember is that after an MUA you need to treat your knee gently. Don't do lots of exercise for it, but just keep it moving gently.
 
@Celle
@SusieShoes
I have been trying to force bend my knee this whole 10 months. I sit on my chair and do the slide bend until it is very uncomfortable, then I hold it for about 1 minuet, then I do it again, about 5 or 6 times.

I don’t really want to go through the MUA, but I may not have any choice, the MUA, or just live with a stiff knee.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom