TKR Finally found a new surgeon

Definitely use your knee for normal activities, but be aware it is not unusual to still have to pace yourself for 7, 8 months or a year.
 
@kneeper
Thank you for responding to me, I’m just a little worried, a few of my friends tell me that it has gone too far now, it will be stiff forever.:bawl:
 
It is so hard to tune out those words but you must try very hard to do that.

Early in my recovery my sister said something about the knee freezing and not progressing. Even though I knew that wasn’t true I can still hear it! Mine did not freeze. I am one year post op and still slowly improving.

Have these friends of yours had replacements? Have they researched knee replacement recovery? If not then they seriously don’t know what they are talking about.

You have been on Bonesmart a while. To me that equals research! We are much more informed because of Bonesmart.

You will probably never change these people’s minds as they are not open to any other opinions, no matter how close a friend they are.

Try really hard to ignore them!

I once told one of my best friends that I wished I’d had a total replacement rather than a partial. Right away she told me I was too young for a total. (I was 61 when I had mine done) See? There are many members on Bonesmart in their 40s and 50s and younger who have totals. My friend didn’t know the truth, only what she thought was the truth.
 
Hello. When I have tried to force my knee to bend, it swelled even more and refused. Forcing it only makes it worse. I hope you can get some peace. It won’t be stiff forever.
 
Never force your knee to bend and cause yourself pain. That causes swelling and makes you stiffer. There's no reason for you to have to worry about having a MUA in August. You are just 1/2 through healing your knee. Even now, if I have a lot of extra activity I'll swell some. At 6 months it's perfectly normal to still swell. Your knee isn't even a preteen yet! You are worrying way too much. You are doing the things you need to do. Sure, you'll have some pain afterwards. That's what icing and elevating is for!

Even if your OS wants to do a MUA in August, you don't have to if you don't want to. It's your body, your knee and your say so! He is your employee. You are his boss, not the other way around. He can't force you to do anything! Please just chill out and enjoy what your new knee is allowing you to do. In 3 months, you'll be doing even more, and in 6 months you'll be happy to have your year of healing behind you and using that new knee!
 
My first knee would feel stiff after standing for a while and I was pacing myself a bit still at a year. Now I don't even really think about it.
 
@sistersinhim
I need your help again, I have been pretty active the past two weeks. As soon as I stop for the day , my knee gets so stiff I can hardly bend it. I had more ROM 3 months ago than I have now.
What should I do? Feel like I’m going backwards. Very little pain, and I can walk, and no one could tell that I had a knee replacement, I walk that well.
 
I have been pretty active the past two weeks.
This is the key. Are you icing and elevating after a busy day? Stiffness is caused by swelling. You might not see it on the outside, but it is there on the inside. That swelling is uncomfortable, but it also hinders your ROM. Try to slow down some and let that swelling go down. Start taking notice of your actions and then your knee's reactions. You'll see it's cause and effect.
 
@sistersinhim
I need your help again, I have been pretty active the past two weeks. As soon as I stop for the day , my knee gets so stiff I can hardly bend it.
How is it a few hours later? The next day?
 
@Mr Gary , hopefully a few days later, your knee is somewhat more flexible. Try not to worry too much and experiment a little to see what works for you. I find a combination of heat and ice alternating work to loosen my leg up. I don't have a lot of swelling, but when I do (rarely), I use ice to reduce that and deal with any pain. When there is no swelling, but I have an achy painful quad/IT band, I use heat. Today I took a warm Epsom Salt bath and oh, my leg felt wonderful in the water. It didn't last long, but it gave me some relief. I hope you can find what works for you soon.
 
Just checking in, I will be at 8 months post op on the 9th of April, I am staying very active very little pain, however my ROM is still no better than 90 degrees. The stupid knee just won’t bend any further.
I walk every day, mow my yard, climb stairs and ladders, do my HandyMan work. Still I am frustrated with the progress.
Any thoughts on what’s going on ? :shrug::unsure:
 
I wish we had an answer for you!

I find it amazing how different all our recoveries can be. You have no pain, can do many things, but have low ROM. Others have “excellent” ROM but still have a fair amount of pain. Then of course there are those who have both no pain and good ROM.

I wish there was a answer.
 
Keep on with what you’re doing. Climb those ladders. Work in the garden. Keep using your knees. You aren’t having pain, which is great! People continue to gain ROM even after a year —or six years— so your knee can also do so.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom