Guest viewing is limited

TKR Finally found a new surgeon

What does your current knee degree prevent you from doing?
 
Stop trying to force your knee, Gary. It obviously isn't helping and it just might be keeping your knee a bit irritated. In fact, stop dong the heel slides too, and just use your knee in your daily living.
 
The only thing I can’t do is kneel down on my knees to pray, and go “down” stairs.

Sometimes getting out of thr drivers side of the car gives me trouble, “ I had my right knee replaced”.
 
@Mr Gary
Prepare your self for the word surgery. Most Dr's don't want to do a MUA this far out. They want to do it early on while there is still time to get your ROM and the knee hasn'tfully set in place. They may recommend removing the scar tissue via surgery, if scar tissue is what you have. Not trying to scare you or diagnose you, just saying what the Dr's I dealt with have mentioned to me. Good luck!
 
@MyTest
@Jockette
Thank you very much, I am scheduled to see mt Orthopedic surgeon in August, so I will see just what he has to say. I am 66 years old now and I don’t want to seem like a Little kid about this whole thing, but I’m just very disappointed about the progress of my knee. I have always done well with all kinds of injuries and surgeries, I have tried my best to do what I was told to do with my knee. I have talked to people that have done very well with TNR, so talking to others and seeing how they have done, just makes me feel like I have failed with this whole thing. :bawl: :cry::sorry:
 
@Mr Gary
Please don’t feel that YOU have failed. This is not something you have control over. Your body has a healing rate and capabilities that God programmed into you when He made you.

First of all, you have often said you have little to no pain. That is a huge plus. Many of us, including me at 15 months, still have pain and discomfort.

You are able to do just about everything you want to do. I’m sorry you are unable to kneel to pray. Is that mostly at church, or do you like to pray like that at home? I know God understands, He knows your situation.

It would be nice to do stairs normally, I can’t do them either, it’s very painful for me.

I finally broke down and went for a second opinion. The surgeon I saw came highly recommended. He is a world wide speaker and has even designed his own replacement implants. He knows his craft! One of the first things he told me was, not everyone gets a good outcome, that’s just the way it is, and he said sometimes doing it over makes it worse. He thinks, in my case, my nerves around the knee are damaged and he prescribed gabapentin to see if that helps. I just saw him on Friday so I haven’t picked up the prescription yet.

I hope as time goes on that you and I will continue to improve. Others have done that who were further along than you and I. Time is always on our side.

But if not, we may just have to accept where we are and do the best we can with the outcome our particular body came out with.

If the gabapentin does not work for me I will try one more opinion, but I will not go from dr to dr looking for a solution that may not be out there. Not after one of the best surgeons tells me not everyone gets a good outcome.

Best wishes to you.
 
Church is my life, and prayer at home and in church, and I thank the Lord for what I am able to do.

@Jockette
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.:thankyou:
 
It's understandable that you feel disappointed. But you haven't "failed." If you can do all the things you want to, in a sense who cares what the number is?

I found that just by using the knee to the full range I had, I gained a couple of degrees over the first year without even being conscious of it. I just realized certain motions or activities were easier.
 
And I think a lot of people can’t kneel after replacement.
 
Because you've had this problem consistently for 10 months, I think you should make an appointment now to see your surgeon. I wouldn't wait until your regular August appointment. It is possible that your early aggressive therapy may have caused enough inflammation to result in some scar tissue that an MUA might take care of. If that is the case, you'd be smart to just get it done as soon as possible so you can move on. You say that you can't kneel....is that because your knee hurts or "feels funny" or because it doesn't bend enough to allow you to kneel. If it's the latter, that's another reason to be talking to the surgeon now.
 
Last edited:
@Jamie
My knee just won’t bend enough to kneel.
I think your right, I’ll call my Dr and make an appointment.
 
Good for you. I think you'll be happy you didn't just wait it out. :thumb:
 
I think you've given your knee a fair chance and I agree with Jamie that now it's time for some intervention.
 
There is no “window of opportunity”, you can continue to gain ROM for a long time yet. There are members on here that have proved that.
@Jockette I wasn't saying I was in agreement that the MUA had to be completed within a certain timeframe. I was outside of the timeframe. I was simply stating what the Dr might tell him so he may want to prepare himself for what he will hear
 
hi again @Mr Gary ~ you've been given some good advice above. i agree that you shouldn't think it was anything you did or didn't do as you don't have complete control over the healing ~ you did not fail and you are very active despite your flexion. i think it's important for you to be able to walk down the stairs without pain and other activities requiring a better flexion.

as for kneeling, i don't think i can kneel either, not that i've given it a good try. when i make my bed, which is low to the ground, i kneel on the unoperated leg and extend the other leg to tuck in the sheets; same if i have to retrieve my dog's toy under a chair. it just doesn't feel right for me to kneel. sorry i can't really explain; maybe i'm just afraid it will hurt.

good luck at your surgeon's appointment. your disappointment is understandable ~ let him or her know that you want improvement, that 90 degrees flexion is not acceptable.:flwrysmile:
 
I find that I can kneel easily at communion, but during the rest of church I just scoot forward and sort of sit/kneel for prayer. I am positive that god does not care what position we take for prayer!! And "forcing" your knee is really counterproductive. If you force it and cause additional swelling and inflammation, you are going backwards, not forwards.

I agree that checking with your doc sooner than later is the best answer for now.
 
Okay, Mr Gary.....we'll be waiting to hear what your surgeon has to say!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom