Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

Well here is the update. Met with both ID and OS. I am on the doxycycline until March 3. The ID was a little concerned about a slow healing spot on the incision. Ortho was not worried about it. The knee is not swollen but is squishy (is that a real word?). The tendon is not good. They were talking about grafts. The big issue is whether the infection is gone and we won't know that until next month when I finish the antibiotics. So there will be another surgery just don't know which one yet. I am still taking my trip to Las Vegas next week and will meet with the OS on Feb 22nd. They have a new sports medicine Doctor that they want to consult with and have me meet. Never a dull moment


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been doxy since I went off the IV and rampafin. My white count was so low they kept me off everything for a week or two, then went on 200mg of doxycycline. After a year and half of 200mg she took me down to 100mg and I've been on that since. I know my leg felt very wobbly and weak coming out of the imbolizer, which is why my pt started strength training around month 4.
 
Hi Peggy, I am new to your thread and just finished reading your story and @KarriB as well. I am going through a similar issue but I have an infection with the hip, not the knee! I just came on board last week! Boy is this forum a 'life saver'! I feel so relieved knowing I'm not alone with this and after reading your journey, feel a little calmer, more at peace. I think it's from reading the warm, supportive exchange between you and @KarriB. That human exchange is so necessary to the healing process.:console2:

What bad luck you have had with the knee surgery! I followed your highs and lows from the beginning and laughed at your sense of humor. Thank you for that! I needed a good chuckle! I wish I was on this site back around the holidays because I couldn't get myself out to shop either so ended up online doing my Christmas shopping for the first time - love Amazon. Boy was that easy as you found out! I love your dogs! I'm a cat person, had cats all my life up until recently. Lost my 'Buddy' a few years back and he ended up being my last pet. I also foster care kittens and enjoyed my last litter this past summer when my hip got so painful, I had to stop. I really miss having a furry friend near by.:meow:

You sound like a woman with strong constitution and someone who keeps moving forward no matter what. I am praying that in the end, all will be resolved with your infection and you once again have your full life back!

I head back to the Drs today for a six-week check up, my PICC line comes out Monday, but I still have another 6 weeks or more with this spacer until my bloodwork comes back clean.

Please enjoy your trip to visit your sister! A change in scenery will do wonders to lift your spirits!:)
 
@KarriB Good morning! Feeling better than I did last night:) I am taking 200 mg a day of the doxy and I don't think it would bother me so much if I have to keep taking it...add it to my cholesterol pills:) I know a surgery is definitely coming so I can prep for that - it is so much better when I am in the right "mind set" and have the husband de-stressed. It just so frustrating not knowing if it is just the tendon repair or the revision because they talked to me about both...grrrr. (Not my timing - will leave it in His hands) You know what I am most thankful for? I have had very little pain after a couple of weeks of post - op with each of the surgeries. After reading so many threads on pain issues I have been very lucky. It may get a little sore or achy but nothing where I have to take meds.
 
@keepmovin Hi Debbie! Nice to meet you and I hope your appointment goes well. It will be really nice to get the PICC line out. I can't imagine having these problems with the hip. I have bursitis in my hips and I know when I have a flare up any movement hurts...it's like everything goes through the hip. I look forward to talking more to you.
 
@keepmovin hips or knees, we infection people try to keep each other going. I'm two years out, but not a day goes by that I don't remember my infection and everything that came with it. I thank the Lord everyday that I'm walking and living my life.
 
Dressing up for fun! Vegas on Monday
[Bonesmart.org] Finally Finishing Up



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I love the fancy decorations.

Have fun in Vegas.
 
Thank you @Celle . Have to work with and have fun with what we have. I know I will have the brace for at least another 3 months.

Off hand does anyone know how long after you stop the oral antibiotics will it take to see if the infection is gone?
 
I went straight from oral and IV to s different oral, so I'm no help. I did have a friend with a spacer who went about three weeks to a month before they removed the spacer. I wonder how long @Steve4kids waited.
 
Wow, that is some brace! You should get the VIP treatment through the airports. I did something unheard of after my first hip surgery back in 2011. I went to Bermuda with my family 5 days after surgery! :SUNsmile: I left the hospital on Thursday, we headed for the airport on Friday morning! VIP all the way - airports, hotels, restaurants, everywhere we went. It was crazy but it all worked out. Had so much fun - of course, the pain meds helped!

Regarding the watch on infection after antibiotics, I think it depends on your Drs course of action. I go off my antibiotics on Sunday. Originally, I was told I would go through a series of blood work for a number of weeks and they would watch the levels, esp. the SED and CRP rates. Now I am have to go back into the hospital in two weeks time to have an aspiration done on my hip joint, they watch it for two weeks to see if the bacteria grows back. If not, they will then schedule my final surgery. Might depend on what you are having done to your knee.

Have a great trip!
 
@keepmovin Hi Debbie, This is a new brace but I have been in a similar one since September. With the tendon repair I have had to immobilize the knee for 6 weeks (twice) and then it controls the flex and extension.
Thanks for the info on the antibiotics. I went conservative when they found the infection. They were not sure if had gotten to the hardware. I completed the 6 week IV and am on the oral until March 3rd. Then I get to wait and see if the infection is gone. That will determine which surgery I am having, the tendon repair or resection.

I bet you had a blast on that trip. I want a nice warm beach:)
 
@PegGar16 I was just catching up on the post op depression thread and saw you are going to have a grandchild! Congratulations!! Nothing better than being a grandma or 'nonna' as mine call me. We are expecting two more, one in May and the other in August and that will make 7!! So blessed.
 
@ New England Librarian Thank you! My sister from Middleton is flying out to meet me in Vegas. She is very happy to be getting into "sunny & 70" weather. May actually hit 80 on Wednesday.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom