Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

Tomorrow! Whoa! Make sure you know a doc to call if there's a problem. What time?
 
@old goat ..Oh my gosh Ann, tomorrow. I hope everything goes well. Do you know who will be covering for him while he is out of country? I am happy you are getting it done so quickly...I think less stress then waiting for the end of the month:)
 
Hi All! Has anyone ever used the forearm crutches? With the PICC I can not use the regular crutches and the walker is driving me nuts. It is OK for around the house but going out anywhere the walker is very cumbersome. I just wanted to find out how easy the forearm crutches were to use.
 
His partner I am sure plus my ID doc will be around all the time. Yes, I am already here getting all the preliminary tests done. He has done research, developed some kneeparts, and even worked with the Spurs. His attitude is so positive. He really seems to know a lot. I am allergic to codeine so I hope I can deal with this pain. At home it was tramadol and lots of ice. I cannot wait to go to sleep. Thanks for any prayers and positive thoughts. I know this will go fine because the nurse and I have the same Asics, and the EKG girl had the same birthday. Lol, good karma. Don't know when I will write again. They have nice wifi here. Staying positive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
My PT did not think crutches helped the overall picture. Yes, the walker is a bother. We worked on a lot of upper body exercises. I put tennis balls on it, anything. When I am tired my upper body strength goes out the window. But do use something. Best to you


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
Good news from my appointment is that my CRP went from 70 down to 27:) Shows the antibiotics are working. Unfortunately I have the serous fluid seeping again from part of the incision and I can feel a lot of fluid and soft tissue in the area where the patellar ten should. Hoping this is all from the antibiotic beads that are there. The OS did order me a set of the forearm crutches for me. It will be a lot easier for me to get around with them than the walker and won't mess with the PICC.
And as if there isn't enough drama with my knee...My husband went to get some pre-op work done for a procedure at the end of the month and ended up getting admitted with new onset A-Fib. He has been in the hospital since Monday. They had to put him on an IV to slow his heart rate down and he has to start with the Warfarin. I feel aweful because he has been so stressed out with everything that has been going on with me.
 
Oh my goodness @PegGar16 I hope your husband will be home soon and with a clean bill of health. Thank goodness for pre-op testing!
That's great news about your CRP level going down, I really believe your positive attitude is a big part of your healing!

Was wondering how the "big guy" has been doing (aka the Rhodesian ridgeback)
We now have three dogs with my daughter's 18 month old German shepherd thrown into the mix. Our 13 year old Shepherd keeps giving us this look that says 'what have you guys done to my once peaceful existence?' Poor ol' gal.
 
Peggy, I had a lot of fluid after my washout. So much that I was changing the dressing two or three times a day. It felt like the infection was running out of my body. At one point I had a huge bubble on my knee (it was a weekend or I would've gone to the OS) that went down after a day or two. I started taking photos of the dressing when it came off and dating it. It finally stopped a month after the washout. Definitely obsessed with the drainage!
 
Hi All! Has anyone ever used the forearm crutches? With the PICC I can not use the regular crutches and the walker is driving me nuts. It is OK for around the house but going out anywhere the walker is very cumbersome. I just wanted to find out how easy the forearm crutches were to use.
Here in New Zealand, we don't use walkers much at all. The first day after surgery, I used a walker but the following day I was shown how to use crutches. We don't use the underarm crutches, because of the danger of doing nerve damage if you lean on them with your armpits.

So, yes, I used the forearm crutches, and was discharged home with them. They don't give quite as much support as the underarm ones do, but you soon get used to them. You do need to be shown how to use them, though, particularly when negotiating stairs .
 
Thanks @Glamg1979. Looks like the hubby may get some stents tomorrow and be home Saturday - it has been a long week. My big guy is going great. I think he is having the same issue as yours. My son and daughter-in-law are staying here while they look for a house so we have a couple of extra pups here. I get this look from him like "when are they leaving"?? I am happy you are feeling better:)
 
@KarriB I know what you mean with being obsessed with it..I just keep checking that it is clear:) With as many gauze pads and wraps that I have been getting I should buy some stock in these medical supply companies.
 
I'm glad to hear that you are doing better and I hope your husband is home soon and on his way to good health.
 
Even months later I would think my knee was seeping in bed and wake up to feel the knee and sheets. Crazy!
 
So wonderful to hear! I'm glad the infection is being knocked down successfully. Are your bandages still seeping any fluid at all? How is your husband doing?
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom