Glad for you things are looking up. After my next surgery I will probably be on antibiotics forever. Since there was about 19 months between MRSA flair ups I don't want to take a chance.
As your infection gets under control, you are going to be surprised how much better you will feel. So rest rest now. Just view it as your part if killing the infection.
@waitingtogarden Thanks! It is affecting the whole body this time (or feels like it). I am so worn out, probably the combination of surgery and infection.
I was totally exhausted after surgery and infection. Your body is using so much energy to fight the infection and heal from surgery. Sleep, sleep and sleep some more for at least the next few days.
Hello! It is natural to feel worn out and tired! Infection saps you to your core. Your body is fighting to get well so be good to it. I am glad to hear you are at home!
Hello! Thanks for all the encouragement! I am still feeling very worn out. I think all the surgeries and infections has taken its tole:( I nap on and off on the recliner during the the day but have an awful time trying to sleep at night. I just can't get comfortable. There is not a lot of pain but I just can't get the leg in a position that doesn't irritate it. Then when I finally get to a point of comfort I have to go the bathroom and start all over. I had lab work taken yesterday and the ID called me because my WBC was up when it had been great Saturday when I left the hospital. I have no additional symptoms to account for it. I will try to push more fluids I can't wait to start feeling better.
@PegGar16
It was about 2 months after my knee surgeries before I could sleep beside my husband. He snores - he's deaf and he doesn't hear it, but I sure do - and he has restless legs. I was so scared one of his leg movements would hit my poor knees.
I was totally wiped out for about 3 weeks. Hopefully once the infection is kicked out of your system you'll have a bit more energy. Just remember you're just a bit over a week out.
I was wiped out as well! Infection and surgery takes a toll on your body! I was talking w a woman who noticed my scars. She had a knee replacement, and she said a friend had a knee replacement that got infected. I talked to her about the toll on the body. She is going to let her friend know it is normal.
Hi @KarriB ! It's funny that I have to keep reminding myself that this is surgery and infection that I am recovering from I have been opened up so much the last few months it is like a permanent state with the knee.
@RestAssured Hi Sonja! Did you have an antibiotic spacer? I am curious about some of the feelings & sounds I am getting. I am using a walker and was told weight as tolerated. At times it feels like parts are rubbing together and I am getting popping sensations like when you pop your joints or something is getting back into place. I feel that mostly when I have the leg up and straight like on my recliner or bed.
Pretty sure @Steve4kids had an antibiotic spacer. I had a friend who had to go the spacer route and had a lot of pain, so I'm hoping that's not the case for you.
Hi @KarriB I thought about Steve but have not seen him on line for a while. I can't say it "hurts" just feels strange. I'll have the leg up relaxing it and a muscle will twitch and I will feel something move with some grinding. With the kneecap not being attached to the patella tendon I figured there may be some movement there also.
No, I never had the antibotic spacer. Dr. Maale puts antibotic beads in the cement. We waited until all of the infection was gone and also I did not want to be the 1st to receive the knee he helped create. I was #50, so I wore a brace to keep the bones aligned. The fibula had broken loose from the cement.
When my knee was infected they did washouts and replaced plastic parts. The metal parts in my replacement are extra long to protect my bones and cannot be removed/ risk of breaking my bones. I went through six weeks of iv antibiotics, blood tests and limited pt because there was so much soft tissue loss. Each case is so very different. I will be on antibiotics for life.
@old goat & @Coppernob Thank you both for responding last night unfortunately they are part of the lost. I was glad to hear that the grinding and movement is normal I notice it especially when I am in bed with the leg straight out. With every muscle twitch there seems to be movemen especially when I move to get up. I see my OS tomorrow and ID on Thursday. You mentioned the CRP test..I had a 70 last week, Hopefully it will be a little better this week after another week of antibiotics. Thank you for the spacer information. Always nice to talk to another with the same
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.