Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

So happy to hear he is home. [emoji322]. ❤️ Hope it's just the beginning of great things.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am so glad your husband is home. May you both have smooth sailing from here on! You are in my prayers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
Thank you all!! My husband is feeling a whole lot better. He actually told me that this is the best he has felt for months. I am scheduled to get my PICC out tomorrow. Looking forward to that first non-plastic wrap shower! Then we start the next step, 4 weeks of oral antibiotics---piece of cake :)
 
Sounds like good news all around for you both! You must be so relieved that your hubby is feeling a lot better.
Enjoy that shower!!
 
I know that I like to comment on the small things in life......Today I just stood under the hot shower for 25 minutes without "PLASTIC WRAP"!!! It was the best. I got the PICC out Saturday and had a quickie shower on Sunday (my husband hovered because he was worried about me falling). So I took advantage of having the house to myself today and splurged on the shower:) Have an appointment with the ID Doctor tomorrow and I think I'm going to bring in one of my bottles of Cephalexin to share how nasty they smell!!! I think it is like a rotten egg smell...enough to make me gag before even taking the capsules:sick: Hopefully I will have a good update after my appointment.
 
It is getting to do the "normal" everyday tasks that I too am finding so much joy in.
Things that we used to take for granted are now momentous steps in our recovery.
Makes me so grateful.
I did some baking tonight and I was so happy! Not to long ago I thought I would never be able to bake or even want to again.

Your long hot glorious shower was a big step in your recovery!! So happy for you! :loveshwr:
 
Peggy, I am happy you were able to REALLY enjoy your shower! You are right! Those pills smell like rotten eggs. I had to hold my breath to take mine! Prayers for a good visit with your ID doctor.
 
It's the small things that make the difference. After all how many times do we do a race or whatever. But we shower every day or bake a couple of times a week. Little things are powerful.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My appointment was interesting on Thursday. They are looking at transferring my care over to the Mayo Clinic. With everything that has gone on with the knee they need to put a flap when they do my next surgery which is done by a plastic surgeon. My VA hospital does not have one on staff which means they would have to send me out for that procedure and then bring me back for the rest. My ID is referring me out to Mayo so I can have everything taken care of at one place. So that means I will have all new doctors for the surgery and ID. I know Mayo is a great facility but I hate starting from scratch with new doctors. I really like the team I have been working with and even know the staff on the ortho ward. I am kind of nervous going somewhere that I don't know anyone at all.
They surprised me with this and I forgot to ask them what is a flap and the purpose of it. @Josephine can you please enlighten me about a flap? Thank you.
 
Peggy, you are in my prayers. I am of the opinion when your trusted doctor tells you that you need to go someplace else, then you should go. They have your best care in mind. Perhaps after your surgery, your care can be transferred back to your current team.
 
I think it takes a good doctor to refer a patient elsewhere. It means they are thinking of their patient and not themselves. You'll once again have everyone taking care of you working together, just a different facility and different docs. It makes me believe this choice will bring the best possible outcome for you, but I absolutely understand your anxiety at transferring your care and confidence.
 
Yes, of course I can help you. By 'a flap' they mean a larger skin graft which leads me to suppose you have, if not a deep, then perhaps a larger diameter of skin damaged by infection or whatever. I am also assuming this will be on the side or front of your knee. In which case, they will raise a more or less circular full thickness area of skin probably from your calf, with a small area of attachment left which contains nerves and blood vessels (top image). This will be to a continued supply of blood and nerves to the flap. They will then move it to the prepared area of skin loss and either stitch or staple it in place (bottom image).

[Bonesmart.org] Finally Finishing Up


You may at first be horrified by the site of it as it will swell in the first few weeks but eventually it will regain it's normal appearance and though you will always be able to see it, it will begin to look fairly normal over time.

Is there anything else you want to know about it? I purposely made this quite basic. And yours might not be quite as big as this example, of course, but it was the best I could find!
 
I have a friend who had to have the flap procedure done. She had a new set of doctors as well, but it has been over a year and she is out living life again! she even gets down on the floor to play w her Grandkids! She never thought that would be possible again!:happydance:
 
Hi Peg. I understand your concerns but you do want the best care possible so you can come back 100%. I am assuming you will go to the Arizona facility. I have been going to Mayo Clinic here in Florida for the past 7 years and I love it there. Once you go to Mayo it spoils you and you don't want to ever go anywhere else! I have my primary care physician there who in turn has referred me to my wonderful OS and also to my plastic surgeon for another surgery within the clinic. I also see a rheumatologist there that specializes in fibromyalgia. Every single Dr. that has cared for me are top notch with great bedside manners and take their time to explain things to you and answer questions. The staff is extremely efficient and helpful. From the OR staff to the floor staff my hospital experiences have been exceptional. There is even a pain team on duty 24/7 and if your pain management isn't adequate they are right there to do what it takes to make you comfortable. Fortunately I didn't need them.
The infection rate there is very low post op. I had to wait a little longer in recovery because housekeeping was getting my room ready and the room cleaning between patients takes 1 hour!!
Hope this helps ease your concerns some, I think you will be in the right hands.
 
@Glamg1979 Thank you! I know it will work out, I just just hate changing up in the middle. I am still waiting to hear if they accepted my case. As a planner I just hate being left without knowing what is going to happen and when:)
 
Hi @KarriB ! I haven't heard anything yet. I have an appointment next Tuesday with doctors at the VA. Hopefully they will have some news for me. I am on the last 2 weeks of the cephalexin. I bet you are counting the days down:)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom