Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

Hello to everyone and thank you for all the prayers and thoughtful wishes. Had the surgery at noon and did not get back to the room until 445. My husband was told that everything went well. Right now I am just kicking back unable to sleep (of course). It is painful and the nurses are keeping up with the meds which I am very thankful for. I am happy they have cable TV so I can amuse myself. I have been watching HGTV tonight. My husband doesn't like these shows so I am taking advantage of my alone time:) The knee feels strange, What little I move it pops and feels like things are rubbing. I am sitting up on the bed and every movement (especially bending forward) is brutal. I think every muscle bruised and sore. The good thing is this part is done. When I loose the fever they will put the picc line back in for another 6 weeks.. I am ready for it this time around:)
 
Well you are handling this better than I ever could! Good for you, Peggy! My friend who had the spacer put in was in a hinged brace that was locked at particular degree. Praying the pain subsides for you soon.
 
I glad to see that part is over with. It will be rough for a while but praying that in the end, this puts to rest all infection.

Rest up and take it real slow. Most important is managing the pain and making you comfortable. :SUNsmile:
 
Glad to hear things are going better. As said, rest and go slow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am anxious to know how members have done after the cleaning of the infection, and especially after the new apparatus is installed. I think my next surgery will be middle of April. Then we will know if he sees MRSA again, or what. I am willing to be on antibiotics is necessary, forever. My PT assures me the bend will come naturally. I read all the threads on depression. It was helpful. I am starting to get overwhelmed. I applied the Mantra of bone smart yesterday and today to insure I am on course. This is a much better day. I just have to slow down when needed. At least NCIS is on as a marathon today. who-ya!! I am staying really positive in hopes the right will achieve similar status as the left one. Prayers are with all those who are in the depths of recovery. Hang in there.
 
I'm glad the surgery is done, @PegGar16 . Rest well now.

@old goat - if you select the prefix (before people's thread) that says KNEE INFECTION, it will bring up a list of threads by people who have had a knee infection - you can then read all about how they progressed.
 
@old goat i had an antibiotic washout/spacer exchange if you want to look at my thread. I did post a year or so after my surgery.
 
Hi everyone! Another update:) I am still in the hospital because it has taken a couple of days to get rid of the fever but I think that the PICC line will go in tomorrow and I can go home on Friday. The leg feels really weird with just a spacer there. Of all the surgeries I think this one has given me the most pain. I have gone to PT twice and it has been very minimum with that knee. Just enough to get me around. The major concentration has been on my other knee which has been hurting. I am building up the strength on that. I will pop in again tomorrow to update and thank you all again for being there for me:)
 
Hi @PegGar16 ,

Yes I am on a low dose antibotic for the rest of my life! They have never seen any infection in the 4 years that I have had this new knee, so I am very satisfied!:happydance:
 
So glad to hear things are going so much better for you. There are quite a few of us on life time antibiotics. Remember to take a probiotic daily too. Have to keep the good stuff in our gut.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
So glad to hear things are going so much better for you. There are quite a few of us on life time antibiotics. Remember to take a probiotic daily too. Have to keep the good stuff in our gut.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very good point! I take a probiotic every day as well!:happydance:
 
Hello Everyone! I have finally made it home today. They ended up putting me on a different antibiotic yesterday. I am taking cefazolin instead of the vancomyacin. It is a lot easier to take, 3 times a day and it is a 3 minute infusion into the picc. Less blood work to do also. The knee is feeling better with the pain under control. That first day after surgery was very painful which makes sense with all of the trauma it has received. I am taking 100mg of Tramadol every 4 hours. The knee still feels really weird with all the pieces out. I am using the walker and it is weight as tolerated. I tend to put the toes on the floor for balance. They also sent me home with a wheelchair so I can get out and about. Needless to say..I am very happy to be home:)
 
Glad to see you made it home! How long are you due to be on the IV antibiotics? Was it hard to get the PICC in, or painful? I am looking at a possible 2 stage revision if I do have an infection, and if a clean-out with antibiotics doesn't work. I'm hoping the result shows no infection and this procedure by itself works. Otherwise I'm looking at a possible one stage revision for metal allergy. Anyway, I'm hoping you have an easy recovery and they get all of that nasty bug killed off!
 
@lovetocookandsew Hi! The PICC was not painful to get. You feel a pinch when they put in the numbing medicine. If you choose to you can watch it all on the ultrasound screen. You are choosing the same route as I did. I figured it was a 50/50 shot and they couldn't tell me what the infection was or how far into the joint had it gone.So now I am going to do the 6 weeks of the IV antibiotics. When it is all clear I will get the new replacement and they will do the tendon graft at the same time. I hope things work out with yours.
 
I'm so glad to hear you're home safely. Kind thoughts and a virtual hug


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad you're home and in a great state of mind. Three minute infusion is awesome! I'm sure you are super tired with the surgery and infection. Sleep, sleep and rest as much as you can.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom