Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my FABULOUS family!!!!! Wow, what a homecoming indeed! Words can't express the deep gratitude I feel for each and every one of you who have shown such concern for me...it brought me to tears and not because of the post-op blues)!!!

I'm going to preface this post with the fact that my brain is still not quite clear, so should I repeat or not make sense, just smile and ignore it. :heehee:

First I'll throw out the facts (keep in mind, had I not picked up a lung infection, I would have been home day 2)...

1. I cannot tell you how much easier this surgery and recovery has been than what I ever anticipated! My pain level has never gone above about a 5 or 6ish (if that) and that was just the second day of surgery. Day 3 it stayed at a 1 to 3, depending on what I was doing (laying in bed or walking). I walked 300 feet the first time I got out of bed on day one and 400 or more feet each time I walked from day 3 onward.

2. I was told the day of surgery (by the Xray techs) that they had never seen anyone who could move so easily right after surgery (most definitely due to prayer cause I've morphed into a slug ovef the past ten years, so this should have been impossible)!

3. Remember, I warned you of my brain deficiency I'm experiencing at the moment, so I forgot to tell you I got home last night (got in and out of our SUV, with absolutely no problem).

4. I slept great last night and feel alert and ready for action today (I feel so good it's ridiculous)!

5. Because I had the anterior approach, I've not needed to use my grabbers or pretty much everything else I bought for my "lady lair" (thanks for coming up with that name @Nana757, I just get tickled pink when I call my recovery room that)! I will say, out of all the equipment and contraptions I've amassed, over the past 12 months, the $200 used hospital bed, the new $79 XL hospital bed mattress, the high density mattress topper @zauberflöte recommended from Amazon and the $200 used lift chair were the best investments I could have made! Keep in mind that I still need to have the other hip done, so I'll get a lot of use out of them. Then I can resell them and recoup some of my investment.

Since I had so little sleep during this process, I am going to get caught up so my posts will be much more coherent in a day or two! Plus, I need to catch up on all of my BS family and see how they're doing!

I send you all hugs, well wishes and prayers!
 
@Cynthia777! I am beyond ecstatic that you are home and had some quality sleep last night. As you can see, your BS family was worried sick about you. Now, we can rest a little easier knowing you are home and being cared for by those who love you most....except for me...you're too far away...sorry! Now is the time to let the spoiling begin...and let hubby and daughter know I SAID SO! Or, I will come out there and kick some serious butt! And now I can! :thumb:
 
SO happy to read your update, @Cynthia777! We were a bunch of Wendy Worriers for sure...which turned us into Stalker Sallys. :heehee:
Thank you for letting us know how you're doing and it is great to know that you are feeing so good. Please follow the BS mantras and take good care of yourself. No cartwheels until at least next week. :wink:

Take care, sweet friend. :flwrysmile:
 
i thought I'd share the fact that I faithfully followed the BS mantra starting from day one and it has served me well. I used ice almost 24/7, told the nursing staff to wake me every 4 hours for meds (but since I was awake most of my stay they I buzzed them) and I kept my toes higher than my nose and I'm pretty certain this is why my recovery has been so easy. My family hovers over me like mother birds and I have to shoo them away (but sometimes when I feel lazy, i do take advantage of them :heehee:).

Boy am I thankful to Bonesmart for preparing me beforehand for all the do's and dont's of recovery! And then there's my BS family!!!!! :loveshwr:
 
So good to hear the good news that you are home and doing well and despite the other complications, that the surgery went SO well!
I can only hope for a similar result!
Sending get well vibes from Aus and hoping it keeps getting better from here. I know it will


Candice. Rheumatoid Arthritis. From Vic, Australia. sequential unilateral THR June 1st and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@Cynthia777 Glad you are doing well! Now, actually, you have to remember what they have done to you. Chopped sawed, pulled twisted, hammered,ect! Remember to pamper yourself and heal. Most everyone that had problems is that they did too much too quickly and have setbacks. Take it slow and take baby steps. I know that might be hard for the Italian in you!!!!!!!!!!! Slow and easy like Tina Turner!
 
Welcome home sweet Cindy!!!
Isn't it just amazing how good we feel immediately post op??? Now mind you, there are down days and tender days, but I really do look back to that initial post op time as a special time.
Your pain scale is just how I felt. I was never tempted to gnash my teeth or cry.
Gratitude, baby!!!
Now rest and sleep.
Your Lady Lair! "Giggle"
 
Hi Cynthia, I have not been on bone smart for quite some time. So finally you have had your operation. I am so glad that everything went well for you even if you did end up with a lung infection but it sounds as if you were treated promptly for that anyway. I hope your recovery continues to be as easy as it has been. I will be thinking of you. I also hope you next surgery will go this well.
 
So glad to see you are home and all is going as scheduled with your hip. And thank you for reaching out to @Nana757 to relay an update (and obviously thank you to her for being the messenger! ) The silence was making us nervous! Take in the attention and let yourself be pampered. You deserve it!
 
So glad your home and doing well.. :loveshwr:
Now take it easy and get well lol.. Let your family take care of you , you deserve getting pampered for a while.. So happy you are feeling as well as you are.. :flwrysmile:
 
@Cynthia777 so happy to hear from you, what a great update! So glad you are home now after what you had to deal with, and are feeling great and getting some quality sleep. You made some smart investments with the hospital bed and lift chair and will get a lot of use out of them, especially since you are going to have the other hip done. Being able to elevate with the hospital bed is a lot easier than having someone position pillows underneath. You are doing great! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi all!!! I'm trying to get back into the swing of things and give clearer updates from here on out (I hope...still experiencing brain scramble and forgetfulness).

Between the 3 and 1/2 hours of sleep over a 3 day period and the worries of the infection I was dealing with while in the hospital, I just couldn't post like I had promised I would. I feel so bad because Ive experienced that worry when some of our buddies didn't post for a few days...please accept my apologies!

It has now been 5 days since surgery (the best day thus far) and today marks my 3rd day at home. I think I covered how my hospital stay went, but please ask me anything you'd like to know that I may have missed.

I'm trying to find the right words to describe the pain I've experienced since being home, but as I think about it, it's been more like a pressure (like someone stuffed a beach towel into my thigh) and some mild tenderness rather than actual pain. As of yesterday, I cut my Oxy down to every 6 hours (except last night I went 8 hours with no problem). I experience zero pain while sitting or laying down and maybe a 2 while walking. I take several walks around the house (3,000 square feet, so I think I'm getting some pretty good walk time in) and I even go outside a few times a day to enjoy the lovely weather we are experiencing here in SoCal. I've asked hubby to purchase a pedometer for me, so I can get a better handle on the distance I'm going. For whatever reason, I don't any home PT ordered, so I'm not sure how far I should be walking. I've just been "listening to my body" for clues. My surgeon said the only thing he wants me to do is to lift my leg up off of the bed and then bend my knee until the sole of my foot is flat on the bed and that's it.

I was able to put my socks on by myself today, so that was nice. Oh yeah, in the hospital, I had told the PT that all my life I have sat Indian style (the most comfortable position for me) and she said that is the best way for everyone to sit. She said it has kept my ROM in excellent shape, so maybe this has contributed to the ease of my recovery. As far as swelling, I didn't notice any, but hubby and my daughter said my leg is about 20% larger, so I guess I do have some swelling.

Please ignore all misspellings, punctuation and ramblings you have just witnessed! :heehee:
 
So glad to see you on here and so glad your doing so well..
My day is tomorrow, I have to be there by 11:00 so I'm getting pretty nervous, my son kept me busy the past couple of days with his allergic reaction lol..
Hubby is getting some practice in on keeping up with meds time schedule ... :groan:
He is awfully good at it lol.. He's had plenty of practice with me.. I'm sure this is how he feels.. :banghead:

But he's looking forward to a new and improved me lol.. :angel::yahoo:
 
Cindy, nice report! I would say my pain experience is same as yours. When I am sitting or laying down, I have no pain at all. Walking might be a 3-5 at times, usually less, but it is more of a stiffness than a pain. I have a PT appt tomorrow so I will see what they think I should be doing. This morning, I got up at 8 am, had breakfast, read a bit, then actually went back to bed for about an hour. I felt a lot more energized when I got up from the nap. We are having a lovely day here in Nashville so I think we will sit outside on the porch for a bit. I feel like most of my "fog" has been lifted too.
I was able to get pants on by myself but not the socks. I also love Indian style but gave it up a couple of years ago since I became so inflexible in my right hip. Hopefully I can get back to it.
My husband just came home from food shopping, I put a few things away just so I could be of some help and that pretty much tired me out for a while :)
I don't feel swelling but if I look in a mirror I can see a bit. So using ice, elevating, etc.
 
I feel so bad because Ive experienced that worry when some of our buddies didn't post for a few days...please accept my apologies!
Absolutely no apologies needed! Your focus should be on you and your recovery. The rest of us will "entertain yourselves" until you are ready to post. Please don't ever worry about this.
I was able to put my socks on by myself today, so that was nice.
Really? That is major! I could not do this for months post LTHR and many weeks post RTHR. Well done!

Even if you don't feel any swell, ice and elevate. There are plenty of angry soft tissues and muscles. Icing will reduce this internal swelling.

You are doing just great!
 
Well....Happy Sunday, my friend! It is so good to see back on line. But, never ever feel you have to apologize for not posting. We all completely understand AND have been there to some degree or another.
Isn't it marvelous that you have no restrictions and can already do things that some of us can only hope to do several weeks/months down the road.
Now, you just sit back and relax in your little lair, with your ice and call bell, for hubby to fulfill your every wish. Remember, you ARE now the queen of your domain! :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom