Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777, it means the world to me that you feel I have been helpful to you and that you have enjoyed our laughs as much as I have. You were one of the first people who reached out to me, along with Nana, Cricket, and PegGene when I joined BS. I was terrified, and the kindness and support you all showed me helped me face my surgeries. There are not enough synonyms for 'Thank You' to adequately express my gratitude.
Big Hugs :)
 
So glad your laughing so much for your recovery! This is going to be advice I remember- I told hubby to never stop making me laugh, even when I'm crying so hopefully he keeps that up post-op for me! Surely he will.

Glad to hear the other hip is going well with the pressure put on it. I was wondering that too as I'm scheduling both hips 6 weeks apart so am glad to hear the pain killers are helping with that hip and it doesn't seem to be giving you much grief.

Keep up the laughs- it must be good for recovery, plus a positive attitude really helps!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery x


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@dandy_candi
Oh yes, take full advantage of your husbands sense of humor! While in the hospital, i would try to make the staff laugh whenever I could. One nurse told me that the patients who were upbeat almost ALWAYS did so much better than the cranky ones.
Six weeks between surgeries seems like a good time frame (of course depending on each individual's first recovery). :-)
 
Day 6

Today I feel a renewed sense of strength, both emotionally and physically. Last night my muscles felt very tired, even though I really didn't overdo walking about. I'm really listening to my body as far as pain management is concerned. I keep track of my pain meds in a little notebook I keep with me and find every six hours seems to be the magic number (however, it does vary, as yesterday I needed one after 4 and 1/2 hours and at night I go about 8 hours without a problem).

I will also be removing my bandage today and taking my first shower. I do not have stitches or staples, but some type of glue that my surgeon will remove at my first follow-up visit on the 15th.
I've been sleeping better than I have in many years! I usually get up twice for potty trips, but fall back fast asleep in seconds. I've really enjoyed this part of recovery.

I had mentioned before how the used hospital bed, the new high density mattress topper and the used lift chair have been the best recovery items I invested in, however, I forgot another very useful item...a deep pocket apron for my walker! I carry everything I need in it and can't imagine how many more times I'd be yelling for hubby to get me this or get me that (I'm sure he's happier than I am). I purchased it on Etsy.com and I think it was about $12 (those of you who sew, could whip this out in a flash)! Of utmost importance is to make sure the pockets are deep enough for your iPad etc. and the 3 pockets have worked out perfect.

[Bonesmart.org] FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey
 
Nice! Great idea and what a happy looking fabric pattern. SO glad you're doing well, friend.
The difference between today and this time last week is amazing, isn't it? :)
 
I will also be removing my bandage today and taking my first shower. I do not have stitches or staples, but some type of glue that my surgeon will remove at my first follow-up visit on the 15th.
They won't need to remove anything. It's a surgical glue that dissolves naturally. I had this with my RTHR. Magic stuff!

BTW - I just knew you would sail through this op! Well done you!
 
Happy Day 6 @Cynthia777!!
You are doing so magnificently now that you are over that 'blip'! Really smart shopping for your recovery needs, too. Piling the pillows for elevation gets tiresome after awhile so that hospital bed must be wonderful. Your walker apron is very stylin' as well as practical. I thought about something like that, but now think I might get one of those walker trays with a cup holder instead for my #2 surgery. I'm home alone during the day and in the beginning stages of recovery I'd fix some food and a drink at the counter with my walker and then say "Okay, now what do I do?" - trying to figure out how many trips it'd take to waddle it all over to my comfy (raised) sofa. Most of the time I'd just eat at the counter.

I'm glad you're listening to your body as far as pain management is concerned. Very important. I'm also so impressed that you are sleeping better than ever! I was the opposite - felt like I'd turned into a nocturnal animal. And it wasn't pain that kept me awake - just everything else I guess.

You're doing great with moving around. Just make sure to rest if your body says "Hey whoa there cowgirl, let' s take a break." That energy drain can really hit hard out of the blue. :bricks: :yawn:

Oh and have a wonderful first shower! It should feel refreshing after all you've been through.

Keep it up! You're doing just great! :flwrysmile:
 
Wow...you're doing so well. I love that apron! It's so pretty. I used a second walker in the kitchen and living room. It had a tray and zippered pouch. It really made it easy to transport my food to the coffee table. I think I might have worn an apron, too. (now that you mention it.)

Keep up the great work. It sounds like you made the right choice with your surgeon.
 
What a cute little "apron" for your walker. I'm sure it comes in very handy. I am so happy to hear that you are getting such good sleep now. It makes all the difference in the world and certainly helps speed up the recovery process. And Happy Day 6 :yay:and here's to an even better day 7 :cheers:!
 
:hi: Cindy - your posts are SO helpful. I love that you think to include all those little details we might be interested to hear. I absolutely agree with @DeepBreath and @MI Chickie - you really are an inspiration and help to curb those fears and anxieties we preOps all hold. Your path to this stage has been a long one, so you are well qualified to understand all the various concerns we have. You tackled the demon head-on, and sailed through (albeit with one hiccup, which you neatly overcame and which didn't prevent you from getting home in good time!) :loveshwr::roseshwr::yes!:
 
@DeepBreath ....actually after about 4 days of annoyances, every day sees improvement just when I think I feel pretty darn good compared to the horrors I envisioned pre-op! I think the majority on BS probably feel the same way. I send prayers to those of you who are struggling more with your recovery, but remember we all eventually get there. :-)

@Jaycey ...you little Cheshire Cat you! I know your positive thoughts and the shoulder you've shared with me has made my journey a much easier one! For some reason I thought my surgeon said he would get the rest of it off at my visit (maybe a gentle glue solvent of some kind)? And you're right, it's awesome stuff! My daughter has been quite bewildered how they glue the two sides together so evenly (then again, she could never color inside the lines)! :heehee:

Awww @MI Chickie, I'm so happy if I've made your pre-op wait a wee bit easier! You know, I've always had to be a problem solver, finding a solution to any and all problems that would arise (which was every day) during the course of my business. So, what I did during the harrowing and worrisome pre-op wait was ask myself if there was anything I could do to change the outcome of the impending surgery? I would then proceed to tell myself that it was not in my hands, so change it I could not (basically, it is what it is and all the worrying in the world won't change the outcome one iota). Then I would relax...until I started worrying again...lol! Stay as positive as possible, it will serve you well during your journey. :-)

@Readysetgo ...you got me laughing because I JUST experienced my first "now what do I do" moment! I went into the kitchen and brewed the loveliest cup of java, when I suddenly realized my daughter had left me alone for the first time (I thought she was going to serve me in bed, but that wasn't to be...I'm getting pretty used to this spoiling and enjoying it a bit more than I should). So, I stood there (with apron and walker) thinking, "Now what do I do?" :snork: Well, I slipped my coffee cup (with coffee mate and sugar inside) into my apron, poured the coffee into a thermos and slipped the thermos into my apron...problem solved! I like the tray idea though...much easier for toting around plates etc.

@Hip Hip Hooray! ...how right you are on the good surgeon issue! I can't tell you how many times the nurses would tell me how great I was doing and follow it with, "Dr. Antebi?" I would say yes and they would proceed to tell me all of his patients do so well after surgery. Thanks for the well wishes! :-)
 
@Nana757 ...you are so right about the sleep! I remember while you were going through your recovery how well you did sleep wise, well, in every way your recovery was amazing...I'm just trying to follow suit! Hugs xoxoxo

@Miss Muffet ... You know what? I know that I know, that you are going to do so well. If there is one thing I've seen time and time again on bonesmart, those who are upbeat and have a good sense of humor, end up being the best recoveries here. What really helped during the pre-op wait, was getting my "lady lair" all set up. We actually moved our office to a different spare bedroom and prepared my lair from scratch. Since I had purchased the used hospital bed (thank The Good Lord), I started my "decorating" around the bed, ever so mindful of making sure the room would be practical and functional. Then I started putting up pretty pictures, making sure the room would be as dark as I could get it should I need to sleep during the day (purchased black-out drapes that could be opened to let the sunshine in) and even bought some pretty artificial plants to place around the room. In fact, I could stay in there all day and never want to leave! :heehee: Thank you for always having such nice things to say...you're going to do great!
 
I'm smiling from ear to ear while reading your updates. Thrilled to call you "one of us" and know you've SO got this!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777 You are giving me some extra 'mojo' to get through the next few days. Life without anti-inflammatory meds....ain't for sissies! (Especially with a 2 yr old human tornado about the house).:running:

So glad to hear that the hospital bed rental is a good investment for the downstairs. My doc has looked at me like an alien when I mentioned it. :elevate:

Take care of yourself!!!!
 
@Toddlermom
Oh yes, those days without the NSAIDs! Your date is almost upon you and then....FREEDOM at last! These early pre-op days aren't as bad as you think they will be. As young as you are and the kind of shape you're in (chasing a toddler keeps those muscles strong), you're going to do just fine! Sending you well wishes and a brave heart over the coming days. Btw...when in the hospital, refrain from mentioning the hospital bed because EVERYONE will look at you with a scowl (it didn't take me long to keep my trap shut on that one)!
 
@Josephine or @Jaycey

I have a question regarding the leg length difference issue. After surgery my surgeon said he made my THR leg longer than my other leg. He didn't give a measurement, but held up his finger and thumb and indicated about a quarter to a third of an inch. I asked him why and he said because he had to build up where the cartilage was and then install the prosthesis. I said, "That's odd because the other surgeons I saw said my cartilage was perfect." He kind of stumbled over his words, but then told me that because my femoral head had fully collapsed, it also collapsed the cartilage at the same time. He said he will make them even when he replaces my other hip. Does this sound normal to you?

Also, will I approach PT differently than I would, if there were no leg length difference?
Thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom