THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Cynthia777 , yep I'm in the countdown, seem to be running in circles, not very productive in getting the house cleaned up for visitors and last minute items. Concerned I won't be able to do anything for weeks and then see things that need doing so I've had a few freak out moments -argh!
On a happier note these are my last few days of OA pain for the left hip so am actually excited underneath it all :).
Thanks for asking!
 
Hip #2 3 week update...

Hip is doing fabulous and confirmed by my PCP today, he's in agreement with my OS that my butt pain is almost certainly sciatica! He has ordered xrays of my back. He moved my hip around every which way but loose and said my hip function is excellent (of course I had to brag a little and sit Indian style just to show off a bit). I'm still in disbelief that I have back issues, as I've never had any problems prior to my THR's. Oh well, just another little glitch in the road of life.

Hip #1 90 day (give or take) update...

This THR has been nothing short of miraculous. If I didn't know any better, I would swear I still have the same hip I was born with! I'm simply amazed and ever so grateful that this life changing surgery is possible. :happydance:
 
What a wonderful update, my friend. I knew all along you would be nothing short of Superwoman! And you are so right about the operation being a miracle of science and medicine. It truly does give our lives back...and more! Congratulations on a wonderful recovery.
:wowspring::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Yippee - no less than you deserve (that is the happy hip, NOT the sciatica you understand) You've striven hard to get where you are and things are just going to get better and better
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've had creak's and pain's in a number of places, they seem to keep moving around I'm assuming probably a difference in posture and the way I walk, more then likely something like that..
 
Nice update, @Cynthia777! Glad all is well with both hips, but frowning about the sciatica. Just how bad is it? When I had it while pregnant with my first, it was debilitating, with horrid, huge sharp pains radiating from my butt down the back of my leg. Could hardly walk. Felt fortunate it only lasted for about a month. I am certain that walking wonkily for 1 ½ years can wreak havoc with your body in a number of ways. Hope you can get it gone! I am being so careful to use my aids almost all the time to prevent walking with my limp. I don't want any bad effects from a year of things not being right with my hip.
 
@Miss Muffet
Thank you so much! You are so precious and always ready with a word of encouragement for all! :loveshwr:

@Jillie422
How interesting that your sciatica has disappeared post-op and mine just started post-op. Go figure! Any tips on dealing with it (besides pain meds)? Would LOVE to get any input about your experience.

@Pony
Besides the sciatica, I've been fortunate not to have pain anywhere else. However, you've been through a whole heck of a lot more than I have. I would imagine it will take quite a bit of time to get used to walking with good posture, as you're using muscles that haven't been used correctly for quite some time. Are you going to PT?

@Krista
How bad is it? Well, it doesn't bother me at all while laying or sitting down, but hurts upon weight-bearing. Sometimes the pain mildly radiates down the back of my thigh and at other times it doesn't. The pain seems to be improving with each passing day. On a scale of 1 to 10, it has hit about a 6 early in my recovery, but over the past week it never goes above a 3 or so (but keep in mind I'm still taking Percocet every 6 hours and am down to one 15 mg. ER morphine tablet a day). Recently I haven't noticed any of the pain radiating down the back of the thigh. I'm hoping this is a good sign. I'm also hoping they dropped me at the hospital, but aren't telling me! :heehee:
How did you manage it (ice, heat, anti inflammatories)? My OS gave me a prescription for a NSAIDs (Duexis), but after reading the possible side effects (heart attack, stroke and the likes), I haven't taken any. Do you think they could be beneficial? If I use my walker with one hand, it seems to relieve the pain quite well. The cane doesn't seem to help as much.

THANKS GIRLFRIENDS! :)
 
Hi @Cynthia777, I found your post by seeing you i n the games room and wanted to wish you well. I pop in and out of the sight, periodically. Sometimes I go into the games room to relax my mind. It sounds like you are doing well also which is great!! I kind of went through some of your beginning post and saw that you and @Me2 had so much difficulties with with finding a good surgeon. With you 5 and with Me2 12 unbelievable. But glad you are on the mend with both hips behind you... not literally.. both hip surgeries behind you. Continue feeling well and doing well. My blessings and prayers :prayer: are with you. :thumb::thumb:
 
Good to know @Pony! After all the advice here on BS, I think passing on PT is wise. Some members swear by it, but I've seen far too many members end up with chronic pain after attending PT. Funny how our mind learns to limp and then has to unlearn the limp. My advice (after reading other member's posts) is for us to concentrate on walking "heel first and then toe". My feet want to walk flat (if this makes sense), so it's going to take some concentration.
 
It's great that the pain from the sciatica seems to be lessening. Hope it truly is and gets better all the time.

Since I was pregnant, I wasn't advised to take any meds, and I don't remember any other ways that I coped with the pain. It was back it 1986 and I have lived several lifetimes since then. Looking back, I should have used a crutch or two during the worst of it. Don't know why I didn't. Doesn't sciatica have to do with nerve pinching of some kind? As my pregnancy progressed, the weight shifted all the time to different places, and one day it was just gone for good.
 
Cynthia,
Here is a link to a post that has a diagram right at the top for heel toe gait. (pay no attention that it is for knee extension after TKR)
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
And more information about sciatic pain Sciatic nerve pain , it can also come from your back, a herniated disc, decreased disc space, or a small foramen, they all cause the nerve to be impinged (pinched).
 
@Krista
From what I understand, the pain could be from the Piriformis or the sciatic nerve. It's very difficult to distinguish the difference. Saturday I will be attending a funeral and am going to try to use crutches if possible. I really do not want to use a cane or walker, as many past business acquaintances will be in attendance (most of which I haven't seen in 20+ years). I hate that I feel this way, but I can't help it. This pain does move around, sometimes near the tailbone and other times in the center of my rear end. Hopefully it will just go poof like yours did. :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom