Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dandy_candi
Does your SI pain radiate down the back of the thigh?

Hi precious @Gummy Bears! Thank you for reminding me about your limp. I'm pretty certain (and hope to God) that the limp is from the discomfort I feel from the buttocks area. When I use my cane or walker to lessen the weight I place on my leg, the limp disappears. Hope you are having the time of your life enjoying those little munchkins of yours! :loveshwr:
 
@gullimac
Having my sutures removed was such a great feeling. Kind of like, "I'm free at last"! :heehee:
Have you not looked at your incision at all? I'm not sure why, but I made it a point not to look at it for the first week or so.
 
Good morning @Cynthia777! Haven't been around in a few days, but It is so wonderful to read your posts and see that you are doing so well with your 2nd recovery. I tried to find your post where you mentioned the fingerprint bruise, but couldn't put my hands on it...hehehe. But, just to let you know, I ended up with a very similar situation. Mine was located just below my butt cheek and was obviously three finger prints. It's as though someone reached in and pulled my butt cheek away for the surgeon to get to what he needed to get to. I asked my OS about it and he, like yours, responded with a shrug, a hmmm and a "gee, I'm not really sure what caused that". But it eventually went away.. But it was very strange to see. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday, my friend.
 
Hi @Nana757!
I thought the fingerprints looked like someone pulling a peeled orange in half...lol! I do think the fingerprints had to do with opening up the incision so they could pop that prosthesis in! Btw...I also had "three" fingerprints. I just love our OS's responses...nada, because "anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law" response! :heehee: You have a wonderful weekend as well!
 
My OS commented the morning after surgery that I was a big guy and really made them work. I would not be surprised if I had some finger print bruises somewhere, but I guess neither my wife nor my dad were interested I checking out my rump to let me know :heehee:.
 
Hi @Cynthia777! I've been a bit overwhelmed lately with back to life busy-ness - and back to work (!) this Tuesday preparation so I haven't been around much on BS lately. But I've been trying to read up on your thread and wanted to let you know I've been thinking of you fondly and mucho my Lady!:)

What is it with the shrugging doctors?? They must get some special training in med school on how to avoid answering questions properly (i.e. avoid getting into trouble or sued??) It really is annoying. Especially when you're encouraged to take responsibility for your own health, arm yourself with questions, write them down and then poof! All you get in response is a shrug. :shrug: Grrrr!...:blackcloud:

It's also frustrating because sometimes I read on BS about people who get a lot of feedback and detailed info from their docs. What about the ones who got to see their actual poor old hip joints before they were thrown away as medical waste?? Are you kidding me? If I had asked either of my surgeons for that privilege they would have laughed their you-know-whats off! Never mind just explaining to me why one hip surgery's recovery hurt more than another or explaining maybe just a wee bit what they found in there.... Okay shrug rant is over.

You sound like you're coming along really well! I'm hoping your "you-know-what" pain is subsiding. I've noticed especially after hip surgery #2 mysterious pains come and go. I think if the pains move around and come and go they might be the body just readjusting to healthier new hips and trying to find out how to move now. Unscientific theory. I know you want to avoid PT and I understand that. But I do think another eye is helpful- doesn't need to be a PT but someone who knows the body (especially a body in THR recovery.) A skilled, strong massage therapist might do you a world of good. I just started seeing a new chiropractor. They work with a lot of athletes at this office. She has done mostly massage on me so far and a few adjustments. She suggested a deep sports massage for me and explained that I am still healing, yes. But some of my tissues are healing the "wrong" way, creating scar tissue that is impeding full range of motion. For me, there is a lot of that going on in my IT bands on both sides (antero-lateral surgeries.) She also explained that sometimes other muscles get pains because they worked hard to make up for what the hips weren't doing pre-surgery and then in early recovery. The trick is to get everything balanced out as much as possible. I'm sure pains arise just from the act of trying to heal from the surgery as well.

Glad you felt good getting those sutures out! It is a new sense of freedom indeed! And sounds like you are also so beautifully relieved that both hips are DONE now! I know what you mean about feeling like you've been cooped up with recovery for years instead of months. 2 of these surgeries in a row takes its toll on you, doesn't it? I've dedicated 5 months to get these done and dusted. On the other hand, not too big a price to pay for the upcoming (although gradual) freedom to come.

I'm excited about the really great progress you're making already so early on! Keep up the good work of listening to your body and trying to do what's best for YOU! :flwrysmile:
 
@Cynthia777 -Now granted I do sometimes have high (unrealistic) expectations for my questions' answers, but I too have gotten the doctor shrug. I asked, "will my limp be better or be worse after THR?" And he shrugged.

He went on to explain that I've been walking incorrectly for a long time and that I've built muscle memory for that which will have to be corrected. I see where he is coming from. But when you're accustomed to the hype of marketing and sales promises, ("It's revolutionary! It slices! It dices! You will be more attractive, slimmer, save money and be the envy of all who know you!) - sometimes you just want the doc to paint it rosy for you to help you out.
:yes!:
 
Thanks for the info @Readysetgo and @Sommers16, I really appreciate it. If I didn't know better because we live in different states, I'd swear we had the same surgeons!

@Readysetgo
I really "get" what you're saying about "another helpful eye" being helpful. I'm not so sure PT is the answer (although I'm sure it depends on who it is), but I really can see the value of a good chiropractor. I had to laugh when I checked my health benefits and saw that Blue Shield CA covers acupuncture, but doesn't cover chiropractic. I'm going to give it another week or so and then decide who to go to (I just may have to shell out the $$$ and see a chiropractor and/or a masseuse). I hadn't thought about trying to catch any problems early, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all the useful info and I'm happy you're getting back to life! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm no my pain is pretty localised when I get it there- I do get occasional twinges down my legs which would likely be nerve pain.

I have found all PT's to be different and not very good and then I found one that 'got me' and my condition and age. He's the one that suggested surgery and suggested my surgeon. He used to be a nurse so he has a wealth of health knowledge.
A massage sounds divine and painful all at the same time right now. I have one who is pretty rough but doesn't charge much and one who is good but charges an arm and a leg. And I need all the arms and legs I can get right now so I tend to go to Mrs. Slightly too rough.
May have to re-think that for recovery.


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@Cynthia777 isn't that interesting about the insurance covering acupuncture but not chiropractic! Makes you wonder how they make those decisions. If nothing else, I think going to see a masseuse is a great idea. It's amazing how beneficial a good massage can be.

@Readysetgo woo hoo, so excited for you getting back to work Tuesday! Sending tons of good vibes your way! You must be so excited!
:flwrysmile:
 
Well it is supposed to be temporary but ice reduces any swelling which is basically what is causing pain. In my case I was icing constantly so reduced swelling and as a result faster increase in mobility. But everyone reacts differently as you know.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom