THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! Got caught up on your thread, hoping the pain is lessening. I have a question for you. My first incision area from January still has no feeling in an area about the size of my hand. Have you gotten all feeling back from your first surgery? I am just wondering if I will ever feel anything there again. Hope your limping diminishes. I am so praying for no LLD after the next hip is done. Two weeks till surgery! Take care!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Cynthia777 - thanks for photographic evidence, although I (aka Ms Muffet Marples) have to admit to being disappointed about missing fingerprints. My regular mugshots of my scar (scarshots?) are often take after showering so I think they look slightly redder. Wonder if that's the case with yours. Am so sorry about tailbone troubles - you don't need that, but pleased to hear things are improving. Agree that just a day's difference can see changes. Sometimes just a simple question of a tweak - ice, rest, different approach to things generally. Keep it up - you're such an inspiration!
PS - and the nails look great too
PPS - I thought you only ever had sunshine in California ..... (?)
 
HI @jomarie58, so good to hear from you!
As far as the numbness, I don't have any residual numbness with my first THR, BUT I do have numbness around the incision with this recent THR (also about the same area size you describe). Although I'm only 2 and 1/2 weeks post-op and hoping it clears up, it's much more pronounced than what I experienced with my first THR. I have read that it can take up to a year before the sensation completely resolves and unfortunately can rarely be permanent. It is rather annoying, isn't it? Any permanent numbness is much more common with the anterior approach from what I've read.
 
My first incision area from January still has no feeling in an area about the size of my hand
@jomarie58 my surgery was Feb/8 and I still have the numb area maybe just a little larger area then yours is but I've also had two surgical area's there as I fractured my hip/femur , I wondered if maybe that was why it was still numb, my scar goes from the side to my rear its about 12 inch's long..
 
@Cynthia777 Stopping by to say HI!:hi:

I feel so behind with everyone's posts but I guess that's to be expected as we try to move on to normal day to day activities. I try to read through everyone's threads and comment when I can but even that's getting more difficult.

Good to see, Cynthia, you are doing so well and only 2 1/2 weeks out! Except for the 'pain in the butt' concern, I think it's just a matter of a few short weeks and you will be up moving right along! But to share on the 'butt' pain, I too, experienced that after one of my surgeries. It was painful and seemed to be in the same area that you have pointed out. Eventually it was concluded that I had a sore piriformis muscle! I thought about that for a while and figured if it's a muscle, can it be massaged out.:chinstroke: So I did my research and found a spa that recognized the situation and agreed to have me come in. It was embarrassing, yes, but it worked. I walked out of there painfree!:yes!: It was professionally addressed and gently done. Apparently it is quite common - so they said to me.

With regards to the numbing around the incision, I have that as well but it's less and less as the weeks go by. After 4 surgeries, guess that's to be expected.
 
@keepmovin
Oooh, you doll, you! I am so grateful that you brought up massage, as I've had an instinctual feeling that I need some deep tissue butt massage (I used to get weekly massages years ago and actually loved having my butt massaged...it hurt so good! :heehee:) What's very strange is the pain seems to improve one day and then the next day it's back in full force. I've been walking around my pool every other day and the walking seems to irritate it more. I've been given a referral for PT and wonder if I might use it for massage instead of regular PT? I'll have to inquire on Monday. Thanks so very much for your input!

It's been very quiet here on BS over the past few days, so I guess no news is good news? :-)

I pray you're seeing better days. I have also fallen behind on all my pals threads. Thanks again! :-)
 
@Cynthia777, Hi Gorgeous! :wave: Just poppin' in to see how you're doing. It sounds like things are moving along great. I'll bet it's a relief to have your stitches out.
Re: the limping. I'm betting this will improve as your legs get stronger. I limped very noticeably, even about a month into out-patient PT, until those hip/leg muscles started gaining strength.
I hope your booty pain eases up. It does seem we all have some odd pain that makes the recovery period extra challenging. You are in my prayers every day, sweet friend. :)

@jomarie58, my second THR was on November 24, 2015. I experienced a numb spot all around my incision area for several months. It has honestly only stopped being so numb the past 6 weeks or so. I think I might have exacerbated it with too much PT at first. When I took a break from PT in early March, I noticed a slight improvement within 2-3 weeks and marked improvement as time went on.
I am doing PT again, but on my own and just doing exercises that haven't caused me problems before with emphasis on walking. Even then, I can get slight numb feelings on both incisions (first THR in Sept 2015). It is short lived though. :)
 
SO good to see you @DeepBreath! I've been missing so many of my old cronies from last year! :heehee:
I hope all is going well with you. I'll be checking your thread here in a minute and hopefully see that you're doing great. xoxoxo!!!!
 
@Cynthia777, howdy! I haven't updated my thread actually. I came here to check on you and see what's up in your world. :)
Things are going good. I've been getting more active on post which has been really good for me mentally. I have a tendency to keep to myself too much and that isn't always a good thing. I feel like my life isn't so 'small' now and I'm helping with an organization I really enjoy.
I'm doing my own PT now and so far I'm doing great with it. Most of it is walking (where have we heard that before?) along with some basic PT exercises and some Pilates. I'm making some changes nutritionally and have lost a bit of weight. I want these hips to last as long as possible so I know getting the excess weight off is really important.
I hope all is well there and that you're enjoying some lovely spring weather.
I'm never far away! Just holler and I'll be here. Big Hugs. :loveshwr:
 
Getting back to life is what this surgery is all about, right @DeepBreath? I'm happy for you and I CANNOT wait to get back "out there". It seems like I've been in prison (home bound) for years, rather than months. I think you've got the long term recovery figured out. I'm going to follow your lead and hopefully I'll have learned something here on BS and avoid some of the pitfalls others have experienced. Hugs girkfriend! :loveshwr:
 
Well, of course you should get a therapeutic massage.. as you know, I am biased in that area. :heehee:
I had my first massage at 3 weeks post op- of course I knew my fellow LMT and knew I was in good hands (literally).
It doesn't need to be anything deep, either. Your soft tissue is healing and needs to be techniques to increase blood flow and soften the muscles that are angry.. yet not make them angrier.
Well, angry is a harsh word, maybe they are just a little sad. haha
@keepmovin- It was interesting to hear about your massage from your perspective.. I never thought about it being an embarrassing issue for some. Glad to hear that the massage helped! I am not on here as frequently and just realized that I need to catch up on your thread. You sound very upbeat and healthy so I take that as a good sign. :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That does sound like the same spot @Cynthia777 that I get the SI pain but could be something else on you being post op and I'm pre-op and have different medical conditions. For me it's like an ache and can get really tender and sore to the touch. Massage does help it and I wonder if it's the muscles pulling on the joint which adds to the joint pain. Worth keeping an eye on and bringing up with a pt or doc.


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
@Cynthia777 congrats on the other hip replacement!
I had a lot of numbness from my THR almost exactly a year ago. I got used to it after a while then started noticing it go away. At some point ive pretty much gotten all the feeling back in that area.
And remember I limped for a few weeks? It totally freaked me out but it did go away rather suddenly.
Stay well my friend!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom