THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just getting caught up here and have thoroughly enjoyed the humor on incision sizes and surgeon's hands. You guys are too funny, and when I need a hearty laugh I know where to go!:wink:

If there are prizes given out to the "longest" incision, I know I win this. I can't even get myself to type what size mine is right now but suffice it to say, mind beats @SweetPea69 by a few extra inches! :snork:

As far as the HANA table, I've seen that before but I don't think we would be 'dressed' like that young woman if we were going into surgery! @Cynthia777, you would know then...was this the likes of 'your' surgical gown? :heehee:
 
My OS was a hubba hubba hunk of a man and I just cringe when I think about what I must have looked like on the Hana operating table he uses for the anterior approach!
@Cynthia777, you and I and our hunky surgeons. It would make those follow up appointments so much easier if they weren't quite so dreamy and knowing the unholy positions they've seen us in...sans undies. :blush:
Your thread got me curious. I have been thinking that my incisions are quite long, so I measured them. My first incision (with the femur fracture than had to banded) is 6" and my second one is 4.75". Not bad!
I guess I haven't paid much attention to them lately and was surprised at how much they've faded since I last took notice.
Three weeks!! How are you doing? You're going to rock this next surgery, friend! :yay:
 
All of you are too funny. I'm thinking there was no blue smurf suit in the operating room, and they probably only saw the 8 square inches of your leg to cut on, as the rest was covered in saran wrap, or some other cloth (like we see in the pictures). My incision site had an * next to the incision. It was drawn on with a black marker, about an inch in width. I guess that mark was to demonstrate exactly where on my butt that the chopping would be.

Actually, my incision is still a bit hard -- right underneath the cut line, and the skin on the cut mark looks like a fine red line, with more prominent redness (and hardness) at the top and bottom of the incision. I can still feel it when I sleep on my side. Usually I can move / roll over an inch and not be laying right on top of it, so it doesn't bother me. I wonder how long it takes for the discomfort to totally go away? Anyone?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@CatLady1
Oh man, I don't even want to think what I would look like wrapped up in Saran Wrap! :yikes:

At two months, my incision still has a scab and redness at the bottom of my incision and it is still slightly tender. I've been hesitant to touch it (except while showering with a wash cloth) because I don't want to take a chance of getting an infection (although this is probably just me being over cautious). Part of me doesn't really want to touch it for some strange reason (denial?). When sleeping on my side, I notice it for a few seconds, but then it disappears. Most of the incision is just a faint line.
 
I'll have to find a photo of the "saran look" I'm talking about. The hip skin looks dark and shiny-- as if you can see a separate layer of skin on top. I'll also post a photo of my asterisk (ha ha, like anyone wants to see it!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I went into the Op room on a gurney with a paper hospital gown on and nothing underneath except those :gaah:Ted hose, one to the thigh and one to the knee. Now, looking at the photo of the Hanna table, I believe I know why my right knee was so bruised around and behind and why it has hurt and burned. That is an odd position for that right leg to take.

@CatLady1 Under my scar was kinda hard at about 3-4 weeks and when the PT checked it at one of my sessions they suggested then that I use the vitamin E oil and take two fingers and with just a bit of pressure rub back and forth across the scar to break up that tissue. I don't know if it helped as it might have softened on it's own anyway, but the entire scar is fairly soft except for one small hard area exactly at the top where it ends in the crease where my torso meets the leg. :walking:oops, no torso.

Did anyone else take food with them to hospital? I didn't for first hip, but I'm all packed (picnic) for 2nd hip. The hospital food was really pretty yukky. Not bland food, Au contraire, it was salty. I don't season with much salt and it jumps out when I do eat food with a lot of it. I complained of feeling nauseated and the nurse suggested that since I hadn't eaten in over 24 hours a bit of broth might snap me out of it. She brought me warm chicken broth that must have been made with water from the Dead Sea along with saltine crackers that weren't Nabisco. Then the PT promptly came in to get me out of bed and .... :eeeuw: I asked for ginger ale to sip and was brought a cup of either 7-up or Sprite. It also came up. After another hour or so I was able to say I was keeping the fuzzy liquids down and was allowed to eat flavored gelatin. It was not "jello" as it left an aftertaste in my mouth and the flavor was not readily identifiable. I do not remember any other food that evening, just more gelatin and crackers and fuzzy liquid. The next day was not much better and I had breakfast (they only have cooked oatmeal, I asked for cinnamon and they didn't have it, I wanted an english muffin and it came toasted but under a dome so had been steamed and was floppy) & lunch (I honestly don't remember what it consisted of but I was so ready to go home) before being discharged. Well, I'm ready for Monday. I have packed; Needs no refrigeration containers of JELLO (lemon-lime), Sleeve of Nabisco Original Saltine crackers with sea salt, cans of Seagrams Ginger Ale - made with real ginger, ginger candy, a few Laura Bars, a plastic container containing raw oatmeal, raisins, cinnamon and an individual container of almond milk. For breakfast I always eat oatmeal uncooked, soaked in a non-milk product for about 30 minutes with dried fruit and cinnamon(ceylon of course). I tried to explain what I wanted to the hospital food service and they said they didn't do that. I felt like Sally in When Harry met Sally. So, I'm taking my own and I plan to use what I can that is mine and then just pick and choose through theirs. :sneaker:Love you all. --julie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Squirrellymom
I took some food (snacks) to the hospital , but was there less than 24 hours so I didn't eat any of it. It sounds like you have a good plan though. Just be sure you have it where you can get to it though. That's another problem I had with the snacks I took--couldn't get to them.

Sending all the best your way & know it'll be such a relief for you to have the two of them done!
 
@Squirrellymom

I'm telling you, you had me laughing all the way through your post! I need to change the hear to the laughing face (just did and I feel better now)! Yes, that Hana arable looks like some type of torture machine, twisting one in all sorts of crazy positions. I agree, no wonder your knee was bruised and painful! :heehee:

The food at my hospital was quite good, but I really didn't have an appetite (no nausea, just not hungry). I did have my trusty NABISCO Saltines at my bedside to take with my pain meds (which worked great...I think, because I never got sick). :-)

You are just a hop, skip and a jump from FINALLY putting these surgeries behind you and I'm right behind you. Yes! :dancy:
 
@SweetPea69
I had the same problem with getting to my overnight bag! They put it in a closet and a double seated chair was placed in front of the closet doors. I had to have my daughter get out everything I thought I would need and place it on a rolling nightstand that was next to the bed. The only problem was every single time the nurses would enter the room, they would push the table behind the bed where I couldn't reach it. :gaah:
 
@Cynthia777 Thanks for posting a pic of the table; I had been wondering what it looked like. The last thing I remember before sedation was being in the OR and the surgical staff told me they needed to put my legs into these boot things. At this point my lower half was completely numb from the spinal and I watched them bend and lift my legs for me and it was soooo creepy! The legs looked so floppy and like a dead person or something. And then I had the realization of oh my god those are MY legs they are lifting. It was very surreal. LOL. :heehee: The next thing I remember I was in recovery and my teeth were chattering uncontrollably.
 
I have a hunky surgeon story too, haha. My best friend who stayed with me in recovery was "interested" in my surgeon. First we were waiting to be called back to surgery prep and there were photos of all the surgeons on the wall. She wanted to know who my surgeon was and she looked at the photo, came back, and said something like "I think your surgeon might be hot but I can't be positive from the pic". HAHA then after surgery after she'd met him she kept making comments like "so how old do you think Dr. X is?" and (all disappointed) "I think he might be too short though". It was nice to have something to laugh about after surgery. :elevate:
 
I can't believe your scar is so small!!! I had anterior and mine is 7 inches long!!!!!!!!!!!
:kayak:
 
Is that table a common use thing??? I have never seen one and just envisaged being on a flat operating table for some reason.

That's pretty cool but I can imagine all my other joints groaning with the twisting it's doing....

I am gluten and dairy intolerant so I wonder what my hospital food will be like...


Candice, 28 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I believe there are video's of THE TABLE in use available for viewing online. The amazing Hanna table which, I believe I read, make the anterior approach doable. I'm not going to watch the video until I'm all finished. I like being dumb about some things especially when they concern the unconscious ME. --julie:dead:
 
@Cynthia777- It's funny how I forgot how annoying it was to always have my STUFF moved everytime someone traipsed into my hospital room! Don't move my cheese!

Sometimes I'd remember to ask them, "Uh, could you just uh move my bag back closer to me? Uh, a little closer please so I can GET AT IT?!" :elevate:

How are you feeling in your countdown mode?? I'm excited for you to get this done. I'm sending good vibes for everything to be smooth sailing/easy peasy for your #2! :egypdance:
 
@Rutabaga
That would be so creepy, seeing your legs flopping around like a fish! :shocked: I just remember laying on the gurney next to some type of table and looking around the room. I seem to remember being alone for a little while (which did feel like being in the Twilight Zone) and then a nurse coming in to hook me up to an IV. I can't remember anything after that, so I must have been asleep (I had a general) when they put me on the table. I don't even remember waking up in the recovery room. Everything seems to be such a blur. I have one question...is your OS single? :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom