THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777- Sounds like you're on the right track reducing the meds and limiting liquids past 5:00. I'd hesitate to stop liquids before then if only because the more hydrated we are, the better.
 
@Cynthia777, I too had problems with the middle of the night potty trips. They were irritating and the urgency was ridiculous. I'm with @keepmovin, I wonder if it had something to do with being catheterized.
Just my .02, but I'd be careful about limiting liquids too much. Staying hydrated is important.
I found an interesting piece on foods and drinks that can affect our bladders:
www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/ss/slideshow-leaky-bladder-triggers
Some of these really surprised me. I don't drink soda but I drink a lot of seltzer water.

By the way, I agree with you about not liking when they close the door while you're waiting to see the doc. Have you ever noticed there's seldom a clock in the room either? Just diagrams of joints/joint pains and maybe a model of a joint to play with if you're lucky. :wink:
 
Well now...you got your date! What wonderful news, my friend. I know you must be ecstatic. And, I can't believe you forgot to tell us about your hospital scare. Thank goodness it was taken care of quickly and without injury to anyone. Just goes to show, things like that can happen anywhere, anytime.
I am one who can't stand being closed off in the examining room, either. I always crack the door open, even if it's just a little bit. :)
 
@DeepBreath
Thanks for the article, I can't wait to read it! You mentioned sodas...ummm...I must admit I do drink a few sodas a week (I'm looking forward to seeing if coffee's on the list). Omg...I never noticed, but you are right, there are no clocks in most examining rooms...too funny!

@Nana757
Can you believe I forgot to mention the incident? I guess my THR was more traumatic or was it? You crack the door open? Heck, I swing it as far open as I can, being the nosy little thing that I am! :heehee:
I can't believe that my surgery is just 3 1/2 weeks away! I'm praying I have my test results handled and out of the way. Unfortunately the specialist I'm going to consult with doesn't have an opening until March 29th (and I need his clearance), so my date for the THR is not set in stone. We shall see.
 
Oh, I forgot...I think you may still have some fluid retention, causing your nighttime potty trips. If you are drinking more fluids than you did before surgery, that might be the cause, as well. No drinks after 5 seems a bit early, to me. But, I think your bladder functions will eventually calm down.
Could've been the drugs you were on, that blocked that hospital event from your mind.
Prayers to you for good test results and no delay in your surgery.
I'm a nosy body too...have to hear and see what's going on around me...tehehe
 
HI @Elaine F.!
The date isn't set in stone yet. I still need to have a PET Scan done and signed off before I'll know 100% whether I'll have surgery on April the 12th. I'm being positive and counting the days until I'm done with surgeries! Thanks for dropping by! I pray your other hip stays good for a very long time! Hugs!
 
@Cynthia777, unfortunately coffee is on the list as caffeine over stimulates the bladder. I'm sure it's not an all out ban on all things caffeine, but it might not hurt to cut back a bit during this phase of 'crazy bladder'. :)
Nope, no clocks in exam rooms, which has the effect on me of making time seem even longer than it is.
 
@Cynthia777, I hope the article helps some. I was shocked as well. I love citrus fruits and eat them frequently.
I also drink cranberry juice often for the positive effects on the urinary tract.
Because of the sugar content I dilute it with sparkling water. Sheesh! Sounds like I might as well swill diuretics since so much of what I eat and drink can irritate the bladder. *face palm* :heehee:
 
Right @JMACCA? :)

6 week update....
This post might be a bit disjointed, as I haven't downed my first cup of java yet. :heehee:

Each day I'm feeling stronger and more confident with my new hip. I have been blessed with an easy recovery, with very little pain and stiffness. I did not experience any swelling nor bruising, but I did develope a rash from the dermabond (glue dressing) that was used to close my incision, as well as a reaction to the tape that was used to hold the gauze in place. My OS informed me that I most likely have an allergy to adhesives AND latex (I warned them before surgery that I thought I might have this problem as my skin is very sensitive). I am also allergic to alloys (so staples are out), so I'm not quite sure what they will use to close me up with next time.

I am still using a walker due to a bit of a limp, as I have a sizable LLD that will be corrected at my next surgery (I'm excited that I will be taller because my BMI will be lower :heehee:). I have experimented walking without any aids and am pleased that I experience no pain and I can balance on my op-hip leg without a problem. I do notice some muscle weakness, but I guess it's to be expected. I was able to put my shoes on without help by the end of about one week, I could sleep on my side sometime during the second week AND here's the best news, this week I can sit Indian style once again! I'm fortunate that I never had a problem with ROM because I almost always sat in the Indian style position. My PT at the hospital told me sitting this way was the best thing I could have ever done for my ROM.

Once I have my second hip done next month, I'm anticipating that I will experience more aches and pains once I start walking without any help from the walker. It's been a little over a year since I've walked without the use of a walking aid, so I'm sure my muscles have most likely weakened during this time period.

I can say at 6 weeks, this surgery has been a godsend and I'm actually looking forward to my next THR (although I still get those little twinges of anxiety). My Bonesmart family has been the biggest blessing of all and I can't imagine going through this surgery without all the care and compassion I have received here! You guys have been the best and I thank you from the bottom of my heart! :roseshwr:

ps...my surgery date has been changed to April the 26th (same day as @gullimac :-))
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777 - oh, had so wanted you there on your original date Cindy. Selfish me! But at least it's no too long for you to wait (don't forget to update your signature to remind us). On the bladder scene I find any cold drinks stimulate mine and I now drink decaffinated coffee and tea which has made a big difference.
 
Awesome update, @Cynthia777! You're too funny, girl! :)
Wow, your ROM is amazing. I am in awe! That LLD between surgeries is quite something, isn't it? You'll be amazed at how great it feels to have those legs the same length again.
Your recovery has been fantastic and you're such an inspiration to so many. Keep up the terrific work, friend! I'm so happy for you. :yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom