Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CatLady1
Yes, a fellow shin shackler!!!! I thought I was the Guinea Pig and part of some kind of new device experiment! :heehee:
I just loved getting up in the middle of the night for a bathroom run with the shackles sliding down to my ankles!
I'm with you on preferring them to the TED stockings. Since I was able to sleep on my side early on, I had to wrap a towel around them because hen they touched each other and clicked, the sound was unbearable. But like you, I would much rather have worn them than develop a DVT. As far as preferring them over the TEDS....ummm...not sure I could go so far as to say that. :snork:
 
...thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it! I asked my surgeon, if at all possible, could he remold my body like that of Jlo's, but all I got back was a blank stare...what's wrong with these surgeons of today? Have they no heart? :snork:

Oh yes, I would like that "remold" LOL, wouldn't mind a few inch's in height either, oh well I did get another inch on the one leg LOL.. And yes, so far, I'm entirely satisfied.. :dancy::happydance::flwrysmile:
 
Just think, with the added inch, we're a bit thinner because our BMI went down (I wonder how tall people are when one leg is longer than the other)? :heehee:

LOL, I can answer that one, I was five foot when standing on the one leg and five foot one on the other LOL, I really like the other inch..

Are your incision's still pretty tender? Mine especially the one at my knee is very touchy, and my knee still feels very tight, worse then my hip, my hip doesn't really feel so bad at all but a couple inch's behind the incision "my hip" is still numb..
 
@Pony
fortunately I'm not experiencing much incisional tenderness. I do have slight numbness about 1" around it. I've not experienced any pain anywhere else, but I'm not walking as much as you are (you traveling gypsy you) :heehee: and I'm still using my walker because of the pain in the un-op hip. Once I'm not using my walker, I may end up with the other aches and pains that are so common post-op...time will tell. Gosh, it feels so wonderful not having that dreadful groin pain anymore (in the op hip)!
 
I asked my surgeon, if at all possible, could he remold my body like that of Jlo's, but all I got back was a blank stare...what's wrong with these surgeons of today? Have they no heart? :snork:
I know, right? Of all the doggone nerve. I see absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to flip through a book of lovely hips and choose our own model. It's all well and good to have those shiny beauties buried below the surface, but what about the external? I myself would have liked the Sofia Vergara silhouette, but no...I got the same reaction as you. Hmmmff :skep:
Oh well, it might be for the best. If I had Sofia's lovely lower curves, the discrepancy between those and my itty-bitty upper curves would have been quite noticeable and that would open up a whole new can of worms.

I hope your day is going well, friend. :)
 
At home I'm still using the walker too, just hate to be seen on the walker while out LOL, I think I'm getting a little better with the crutch's though lol..
I never was one to be patient, I'm so ready to get out and about..

Gosh, it feels so wonderful not having that dreadful groin pain anymore (in the op hip)!

Wow , isn't that the truth.. And so far , not even once have I felt my hip feel like it was out of socket.. that's so weird for me, cause I was in such a habit of moving around so carefully and would still get stabbed.. and so far I've had no popping and snapping, and the pain in my other foot has eased..

This Gypsy is on the move LOL.. :eyebrows::wave::yes!::flwrysmile::happydance:
 
Shin shanklet, ha ha. I called them ankle shackles. Mine had flashing green lights too (like you couldn't tell they were turned on!!). Yes, the joys of a middle night potty run, to have them flashing your way down the hallway, then slide down around your ankles. That first week was fun- the walker shuffle to the potty with the ankle shackles clacking along. Of course, dear hubby heard it all as I passed the bedroom -- and would have to get up to strap me back in place (remember? I couldn't bend over and was sleeping in the recliner too). Amazing how distant it seems at 8 weeks!! :-)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I get that popping in my bad hip, but it doesn't hurt when it pops, it just sounds so weird (very loud and everyone else can hear it)!
My hip popped too - and got bad pre-surgery. I guess that was the warning about be careful- there's a real possibility you could dislocate before surgery. The noise was especially noticeable when sitting down.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CatLady1
My shackles had those bright green lights too! Lucky for hubby that I had the anterior approach and a hospital bed (thus not needing his help in and out of bed) and my "lady lair" was/is set-up at the opposite end of where our master bedroom is located (so my late night runs went unheard). I'm hating the thought of leaving my lair (I could have moved back in with hubby quite awhile ago, but I'm savoring the hospital bed and the new 50' TV we installed)! I'm milking this recovery for all I'm worth! :heehee:

I have a question...you mentioned that there's a real possibility of the hip dislocating before surgery and I'm wondering if your info came from your OS? The reason for my concern is because my non-op hip pops and kind of catches when I stand from a sitting position. I have a torn labrum and from what I've read, this is the source of the popping. Should I be worried?
 
It was my OS who told me that at my first appointment. Before that appointment with him, there were several times I'd tell the chiropractor that my hip had the feeling that it was getting ready to pop out of joint, and an adjustment (changing the hip angle) would fix it. Now the OS has not warned me about motions with my good hip, but even in recovery, he's advised me not to twist my operated side foot outward behind my leg- with knee pointed in, but instead, bring the ankle/foot inward towards the center of my body (ex when putting on socks or tying shoes, lift the foot up and towards the other knee. )
I'm not sure if the torn labrum is the cause of it-- I didn't have a tear. I think it was the way my hip bone sat in the socket (or almost didn't sit in the socket). It was close to popping out the side-- you know, that fun dysplasia we have. :-)
I didn't notice the hip popping until the last three months or so before surgery-- and also heard knee popping, with swelling in the area above the knee cap. All that's gone away now (both started about the same time).


Sent from my iPad
 
Ok -- make sure you take precautions and avoid activities & motions that you could lose balance and fall. That's what I was advised. Isn't all this hip torture so much fun??? :-) by the time I heard that hip precaution I was already moving slower, so I wasn't too worried.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I actually believe that is part of the reason my hip/leg broke, I had been "baby-ing" my hip for so long the muscles had gotten weak and when my foot slipped I don't think they were strong enough to protect it, I told the dr's my hip broke before I went to the ground, I even twisted so I wouldn't land on it "and I didn't" land on it, I know it was broke as soon as my foot slipped, I felt the pop.. and knew what it was.. The dr disagree'd he said I was wrong...
It had been going out for a long time, just be careful..
 
@Readysetgo and @Arlene56
Thinking of you today and praying for a sense of peace and comfort to wash over you. Hopefully your last minute preparations are helping keep your mind off of Tuesday. You both are such dear hearts, as well as quite positive and well informed Smarties. You are in my prayers...HUGS! :friends:
 
You mean the horrible crunching noise I hear when I move my bad hip could signal an imminent dislocation?!
The crunching noise is bone rubbing on bone. There is no cartilage left in the joint so it no longer moves smoothly. My left hip did collapse pre-op. But I had very severe dysplasia.
It's most definitely a pop and it feels like something in the hip "pops" back into place.
Kind of feels like gears changing? Just baby that poor hip. It's past its sell by date!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom