THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honey, gauze is only made of pure grade cotton. If you are allergic to that, you'd have known before this as you must surely have worn cotton blouses or tee-shirts at some time!

As for the surgical tape, if it was Micropore or anything similar, it's not the tape or the adhesive you are reacting to since they are both hypoallogenic. What causes skin reactions is that they are supposed to be gently laid on the skin and patted in place. But staff often apply it with tension, meaning they stick one end on the skin and then pull on it before the stick the other end down. This means the skin has tension or stretch applied to it and the skin doesn't like that so it reacts with a variety of soreness, spots, micro blisters and so on. (Steristrips are made of Micropore - other brands have similar properties)

I have suffered that myself when I had my first knee done. I had a double row of really angry blistery spots either side of the wound where the Steristrips were. They took weeks to get better. I pronounced myself allergic to Steristrips so the with next knee I had staples. But in the meantime, I met a 3Ms (also J&J) company chap at an exhibition and expressed my concern that I had a skin reaction to their supposedly hypoallogenic dressings and that when I learned about the real issue. It actually says as much in the leaflet in every packet of Steristrips but then, who reads the enclosed literature? I worked in theatre for nigh on 50 years and I know I never did!
 
I would make the most boring interior decorator known to man (if there's a picture in the left, there has to be a picture on the right...if this makes sense).

@Cynthia777, you make me smile. :) My degree is in interior design and I am a super 'symmetrical' person. I have worked on becoming more comfortable with random, asymmetrical design schemes, but still struggle with it. I'm just more comfortable with mirror images. :)
Did you get your test done today? I was thinking of you and sending out good vibes. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Miss Muffet - thanks for the info on the speed of bone adhering to metal. That would explain why an OS feels they can release you to somewhat normal motions after hip surgery. I still think of the joint as 'fragile' -- and tend to want to limit my crazy motions (everyone else would construe them as normal motion, a hip crip like me hasn't moved that way in a while, so to me it's crazy.)

@Pony -- ha ha. Your two horses sound like our two cats. One is most interested in the food bowl. The other is leary of the one sitting monitoring the food bowl. And woe be if the food bowl runs low. We'll hear lots of yowling about how someone needs to do something now. (Most the time, when the bowl gets filled, she just walks off...)
 
@DeepBreath
As I've said before...two peas in a pod! :-)
I cancelled today's look/see OS appointment, as my incision is looking better.
Tomorrow I have my much dreaded ultrasound (I'm just praying I can hold that 32 ounces of water for over an hour)! :yikes: Thanks for asking my friend! :-)
 
@Cynthia777, I got my appointment dates mixed up. For some reason I thought your ultrasound was today. I was even having sympathetic 'wee' urges. I'll have some more for you tomorrow. :heehee:
I'm glad your incision is looking better. It stinks when odd stuff comes up. Of course, the mind immediately assumes that it's something terrible, when most of the time it isn't...at least that's how my mind works. :)
Winging good thoughts your way for tomorrow, friend!

@CatLady1, I feel the same way about 'crazy' movements. I definitely have to do things in my own good time or I just don't feel comfortable. I'm glad I'm not alone! :)

@Pony, your horses sound adorable. How sweet that Snowman came to the door to check on you. That is just precious. :)
 
Glad your incision is doing well! Everyone is doing well here. My hip started to bother me bc my 4 year old was insisting that I carry her around. I realized I just can't do it, she's gained at least 5 lbs in the past few months. So we sat down and talked to her so she knows it's not an option and I feel back to normal! So glad things are going so well for you! I got that month mark that progress seemed to slow down but it's like one day I realized I was pretty much back to some sort of normal. You will get there!
 
@Cynthia777- Thought about you today, hoping that dreaded ultrasound went okay.

And is your incision healed up now? That's interesting what Josephine said about the skin reacting to being pulled too tightly. Do you think that's what happened?

My surgery is on March 8. In 1 week! I am glad about it, but at the same time sorry I have to take steps backwards in terms of energy, movement and convenience in order to really move forward with these hips. But the un-op hip is squeaking at me to get rid of it so that's what I'm doin'.

Speaking of getting rid of hips, you asked if anyone felt strange about having that foreign object in their body. I was happy to have the new shiny hip post-op because I could feel even early on how much healthier it was. But pre-op I did have some grief about disposing of my body parts that had served me well for a long time but now were just painful leftovers of what they once were. I don't feel that way anymore. I know it's all for the best.

Hope you're having a good day in spite of the ultrasound. :flwrysmile:
 
@Readysetgo
Instant replay of my postponements for surgery...postponed ultrasound because my PCP put me on a course of antibiotics that MUST be taken in a full stomach. He preferred I finish the medication and wait another week for the ultrasound. :-(

As far as the "pulling too tight", I'm a little skeptical as far as my situation goes (but I could very well be wrong). I'm almost certain this is some kind of an allergic reaction (it may be a reaction to the dressing they closed my incision with). I've taken photos to show my OS. The incision looks better, but still has a mild rash on and around it and it is a little itchy.

I hear you on that pre-op grief. I told hubby I felt like I was having an amputation, just inside my body. I don't know why I get a creepy feeling when I visualize my bionic part.

I know exactly how you feel about the next replacement, as I'm feeling the same way. I'm excited to get it done as my hip has been bothering me more as of late, however I'm not looking forward to starting all over again. Although my surgeon wants me to wait until the 14th to schedule surgery, I'm tempted to go ahead and call his scheduling nurse and making the appointment anyway. I'll have to think about it.

Hang in there girl, you're so close to being whole again...I'm happy for you and will be watching for your first recovery post. :-)
 
:sneaker::sneaker::sneaker::sneaker:
hello! Yes, I've lurked in and out a few times this week.. I think I will have time to post but then the phone rings or a client arrives early and stops my momentum.. aargh! Wow, that pesky incision line... glad it doesn't sound too very serious and sorry to hear that the ultrasound was delayed.. Oh Cindy, you can't just go easily down any path, can you, dah-link??? But you are so upbeat about it all and you really are well on the road to recovery! This may sound stupid but I almost wish my other hip would just go ahead and need replaced sooner than later,, hate the thought of having to go through this at an older age... But then I slap myself and remember just who lucky we all are to have these options.
When I was a child, I loved reading Westerns. I would fantasize about living in the 1800's with my horses and of course a hunky cowboy by my side. But now? I am so thankful to live right here, right now! :snork:
@Pony I had horses like yours, too. They are just like a big old friendly dog. I miss having horses in the back 40. In fact, I now miss having the back 40, too!!

I need to clean up after dinner and walk the pup but hope to return and nose around a bit.
 
@CricketHip
You're always so sweet my friend and a great encourager too! Having been the proverbial worrier since childhood, I had to develop ways to keep those anxieties at bay or I'd be a looney tune! I find focusing on the positives, throwing in humor and shutting the door on those negative thoughts has served me well over the years. It took many years, as well as numerous trials and tribulations to learn the door slamming technique. :heehee:
I've been blessed with a positive attitude and I'm so thankful that this trait has been thrown into the mix!

I can totally understand where you're coming from on getting the second hip done sooner rather than later. Who knows, maybe your un-op hip will stay put and never need replacing? You never know. :-)
 
Saw this and thought I'd throw a little laughter out there.....

[Bonesmart.org] FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey
 
[Bonesmart.org] FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Update day 30....

Recovery has pretty much leveled off since week three. I'm walking an average of a half mile every other day (I know I could walk more if I didn't need my other hip done). I feel frustrated that I still have limitations because of the bad hip, but I'm handling it okay. I still have a mild rash on and around the incision, but it's getting better little by little each day (I'm just wondering if it may have been caused by the glue covering that was used). I received great news today! I no longer need to wear those horrific DVT avoidance clickers (Pictured above) and I can stop taking my daily aspirin. I don't know who invented those clickers, but I can tell you this, I'm convinced he or she is most definitely a certified sadist! Can you imagine wearing a contraption around each shin that loudly snaps (and I mean LOUDLY) every 60 seconds all night long? Not only that, they've grabbed a few unshaven leg hairs a few times, which almost threw me out of bed! :yikes:

I wish I had more to report, but recovery has become ho hum (I'll take it though, as I have no swelling or pain).
Hoping today is seeing my Bonesmart family happy and well! :roseshwr:
 
I know I was happy when they told me I could quit wearing those blasted stockings, "if you could call them that" LOL, but my last xorelto (sp) was yesterday so glad to be off the blood thinner...
Another excursion today, to bad to walk outside so we went to the store.. I'm so happy with my shiney new hip LOL....
 
HOORAY for no more loud clicking box thingies!! That's fantastic. :)
You'll see such a huge difference after you have your second surgery done. I know it's difficult to be patient at this point, but you're going to be so happy after it's all said and done.
Literally LOL'd at the cartoon. :heehee: It would be nice to be able to pick out some slammin' hot hips to go with the bionic parts. As it is, I guess I'll just keep the ones I have. :wink:
Hugs and hang in there, friend. Soon you'll be on your way to having your surgeries behind you.
 
So sorry about the postponement of your ultrasound, but happy that you gained a little freedom with the release of those awful shackles! This has certainly been a long road for you and I have to marvel at your sense of humor and positive attitude throughout all of this.:yes: I'm sure you are ready for a string of good news to land in your lap. In regards to feeling those new shiny hips? Once my hips where in, I never could distinguish the difference between my nature hips and the news metal hips. All I noticed was the freedom of no pain and the sheer delight to move around like a 20 year old again!

I can't wait to get there and know you can't either!:egypdance:
 
@Pony...Boogie in girl! You're doing so great and I bet you're happier than a clown in the circus! I'm so very happy for you! :-)

@Miss Muffet...oh yes, making bail was so delightful! :heehee:

@DeepBreath...thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it! I asked my surgeon, if at all possible, could he remold my body like that of Jlo's, but all I got back was a blank stare...what's wrong with these surgeons of today? Have they no heart? :snork:

@keepmovin...Yes, the road has been a long one, but boy has it been worth it! Thank you for your kind words (blush)! I believe I was blessed with a positive attitude and a sense of humor because I really am the proverbial worrier and without those traits, I'd probably be having open heart surgery instead of a hip replacement! Boy, you have no idea how much I would LOVE having some good news fall in my lap! I've had a few rough years recently and am ready for some good fortune (health wise). :-)
Isn't it just wonderful to feel that freedom one had before the old hip problems again? I have such a long bucket list going and I can't wait to start scratching each one off my list! The first week or so after the surgery, I felt like I had a towel stuffed inside my thigh, but now that feeling has thankfully disappeared. Kind of strange how normal it feels now. Hugs!
 
@Cynthia777 - yes, I was cheering too when the DVT clickers were ended. At first they didn't bother me (probably due to drug induced sleep), but towards the end they'd loosen up and slide down to my ankles in the middle of the night. BUT-- I still think I prefer them to TED hose. At least I didn't have to wear them all day too like the TED's. Getting rid of the DVT devices was almost as exciting as being told I could now sleep on my side. :-)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom