THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, @CatLady1, that's quite a bit of walking...more than I've done in 10 years and not due to bad hips! :heehee:
I'm really looking forward to starting the bike exercises (just need to find a nice used one). You're doing great!
 
@Hipster Girl
i guess once I get the other hip done and throw this walker away, I'll be much more grateful and these bionic parts will become a treasured part of who I am. :-)

@Pony
Oh my, I bet not feeling that rod must be really wonderful! I was just telling hubby during the first week or so, it felt like I had a beach towel rolled up inside my thigh and now it feels more like a wash cloth rolled up inside. Snowman and Lady?
 
Snow loves attention, Lady on the other hand, just wants food lol..
He tries on occasion to give her some smooch's but she will not have any of it, she's grouchy lol.
So I get smooch's especially if I scratch his neck. This was a first for him coming to our glass door lol..
 
Thanks @alexthecat! It's not new, but has been oozing about the same for the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it matters, but I did have an allergic reaction to the adhesive and/or latex. I'll page @Jamie for help. Have a wonderful dinner! :)
Oh my, I'm so sorry I missed your tag! I hope by now you've discovered from your surgeon that everything is just fine. The wounds do sometimes weep for a while. Did you get to talk with your doctor?
 
HI @Jamie :-)
No problem on the missed tag, I know you guys are busy. So now I'm not sure if I should go in. The weeping has stopped, but my incision is red (although not hot, nor inflamed). I hate making an unnecessary trip to the OS if I can avoid it. My PCP prescribed an antibiotic which I've been taking for three days now. At almost four weeks, should my incision still be red (I've kept it covered with a loose dressing as prescribed by my surgeon a little over two weeks ago)?
 
"Why is it that I want to block out of my mind the fact that I have a foreign part in my body?"

Gosh how is it you always seem to hit on the things I've often wondered about???? :what:

My strange view was/is maybe I'll accept the idea when I've got 2 hips that match so will balance up?
The current ones do match except as they don't work:nah:
 
Oh my @Miss Muffet, you hit the nail on the head! Although I'm quite the teaser, I'm also EXTREMELY analytical. I would make the most boring interior decorator known to man (if there's a picture in the left, there has to be a picture on the right...if this makes sense). Your comment made me realize that I take issue with having a bionic part on only one half of my body...they don't match! :yikes: How crazy is that? Wow, thanks for bringing that to my attention!
 
HI @Jamie :)
No problem on the missed tag, I know you guys are busy. So now I'm not sure if I should go in. The weeping has stopped, but my incision is red (although not hot, nor inflamed). I hate making an unnecessary trip to the OS if I can avoid it. My PCP prescribed an antibiotic which I've been taking for three days now. At almost four weeks, should my incision still be red (I've kept it covered with a loose dressing as prescribed by my surgeon a little over three weeks ago)?

@Jaycey or @Josephine...can you help me in this?
Have you ever encountered an allergic reaction to gauze?????
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Cindy, if this helps... my incision at 8 weeks (almost) is a red-ish line. It's definitely not invisible ... (and yes I do have a couple of scars that are little white lines). Both the top and bottom areas of the hip cut are darker red.

p.s. -- since I had only one bad hip, I'm trying to make it a point to walk every day... something that I NEVER did pre-surgery, even for a couple of years pre. I'm just trying to get myself back to 'normal' some day this year.. especially now that it doesn't hurt to walk (except for the hamstring stretching out.) Hubby thinks he and I need to walk a 5k before too long. I told him I need to build up to it (not sure how long that should take).
In the mean time, I guess I'll be one of the lop-sided hipsters in this group, with only one metal part. :heehee:
 
@CatLady1
Thank you for your response!!!!!! I guess it's kind of difficult to assess something without seeing it. As far as the one bionic part, don't get me wrong, I would MUCH rather be done with surgeries! I'm pretty certain I'd get used to the idea of a one sided part real quick and be thankful I didn't need the other hip done! :-)
 
I'm sure we've discussed this before, but I'm still amazed at the weight of the metal hip joint. When we were in hip class, the instructor/ nurse passed around a hip joint set and a knee joint. Someone else at the front of the class mentioned the how heavy it was, and she commented that it weighed about the same as a real hip joint ( which was surprising to me too). She said that bones were pretty heavy (I would have thought it was the muscles and 'flab' that made up the majority of body weight.). No one here (that I remember) mentions feeling any new hip joint weight (besides just the heavy post-op feeling we all sense).
 
The incision itself may be red for some time. It takes a while for it to lighten and eventually turn to a white line. The redness that might be a concern would be the skin around the incision. Can you post a photo?
 
Why is it that I want to block out of my mind the fact that I have a foreign part in my body? I don't like thinking about it even though it feels pretty close to "normal". Has anyone else experienced this?

I think that we are becoming invincible! We have found the fountain of youth! bionic parts! Stronger better faster


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Packed the Hubster off on a biztrip to Scotland visiting our northern constituency customers last night (I'd normally accompany him on this but just too blithering lame):dead:
He's a metallurgist and coincidently knows a spot or two things about prosthetics. He told me about the staggering speed at which bone grows onto the new joint. It's almost like the body embraces this new opportunity! :wowspring:
 
Have you ever encountered an allergic reaction to gauze?????
Lots of people are allergic to the tape they use to hold gauze. I have never heard of gauze causing a reaction. If you are the slightest bit worried do see your OS. It seems like a very long time to have to keep that wound covered.
 
@Jamie and @Jaycey
I did have an allergic reaction to two different tapes. At my one week visit the OS, he ripped off the glue covering (and I mean ripped, so as to cause some mild bleeding), put some rolled gauze over it and told me to keep it covered with the gauze, but in such a way to let air gets to it. He felt my allergy was to the adhesive, so he used a different type of tape (I'm guessing with latex in it) and I had a reaction to the new tape as well. I started using a tape that is latex free and have had no reaction to it, but wherever the gauze is touching it is red and has little red bumps (as of last night). So, last night I removed the gauze and guess what? This morning the redness is almost completely gone and the little red rash bumps have all but disappeared! I'm going to have to research "gauze allergy" and see what the story is. Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom