THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI @CricketHip! I've missed ya girlfriend!
The last WBC count was 13,500, which is better than in the hospital, but still up a bit. I'm not sure if the mild oozing is normal at this stage, but since Josephine never responded to my question, I'll go ahead and see if I can get ahold of my OS tomorrow and see what he says. Other than that, I'm doing great! How about you
Miss Cricket?
 
I am doing well, back to full time and what a difference! In my work it is so important to use a correct stance and body mechanics and it's so much easier again now that I have 2 legs under me. The stiffness is the biggest concern,, but stiffness is small potatoes compared to pain, right?? So glad to hear that the WBC is showing some improvement.. I take that as a good sign. Sorry to be absent, working is keeping me busy! I still get tired and forgetful... oh! I am 5 months post op now. How about that?? time truly flies... well post op.. pre op was turtle speed.. :heehee:
 
P.S. I love my recumbent bike.. But it takes up more space... just my 2 cents. :bicycle1:
 
@alexthecat
I REALLY appreciate you replying! It's not warm to the touch, although the incision is reddish in color (but may be due to the allergic reaction I had to the adhesive and latex?). Thanks again!
 
@CricketHip
I'm with you on the preference to stiffness versus pain! Any stiffness I experience rapidly abates as soon as I move a bit.

Omg...5 months already? It seems as though your surgery was just yesterday! I'm really happy for you Cricket!

Question on the bike...so you recommend a recumbent bike over the traditional stationary bike?
 
recumbent works better for me.. sitting upright isn't very comfy for my sit bones (butt) and recumbent is easier on my back. You get more of a core workout with the upright.. because you need to balance yourself. so that would be a perk of the upright. but I love my recumbent.
 
Quick update...
I'm still experiencing some mild weeping/oozing (yellowish) from my incision, so I've got an OS appointment on Monday to make sure I don't have an infection going on. I feel as though I'm at a standstill as far as recovery goes (it's been 3 and 1/2 weeks since surgery. No pain to speak of and I am noticing a gradual increase in muscular strength. I haven't done any exercises other than walking, but my ROM seems to be very good (sitting cross legged on my bed is no problem, but as I mentioned before, I want to make sure my OS has no problem with this).
So there ya have it...nothing much new and a pretty boring update! :heehee:
 
Hey lady! Glad things are going well! I had a little tiny bit of oozing in the first week or two but checked with the physician that did my discharge at the hospital and they weren't worried (I texted her a picture) I couldn't take a shower and get it wet, so had to do sponge baths. I think it's a good idea to get it checked out though. I hope you are able to enjoy some sunny warm weather, it's frigid here! I'm a southern Calif girl at heart!
 
@Gummy Bears
So good to hear from you! How are you and your chicklens doing?
I figure it's better safe than sorry, so in I go on Monday morning (so happy I didn't go with the surgeon two hours away...five minutes works for me). :)
 
Why is it that I want to block out of my mind the fact that I have a foreign part in my body? I don't like thinking about it even though it feels pretty close to "normal". Has anyone else experienced this?
 
@Cynthia777 I called this phase the one month slump. You have been recovering at a very fast pace. Seeing progress daily. But at around 3+ weeks it suddenly feels like the same thing everyday. Worry not! There is still tons of healing going on and everyday you will be that little bit more mobile.
Why is it that I want to block out of my mind the fact that I have a foreign part in my body?
Think of it this way - would you rather have that shiny new hip or that diseased joint in your body? Easy choice I think!
I'm still experiencing some mild weeping/oozing (yellowish) from my incision, so I've got an OS appointment on Monday to make sure I don't have an infection going on.
Since you aren't reporting any other symptoms this may be nothing. But well done getting it checked out if only to ease your mind.
 
Perhaps I am in that slump. I expect that each day , after almost 4 weeks that I should improve. Today I went grocery shopping alone cause I felt like I could do it but by the time I got back my hip thigh area was aching. I iced and a few hours later it is still achy. Too much ? Most of the time I only am feeling some tightness and walking a fair amt around house and short walks outside.
 
@Jaycey thanks for putting everything into perspective! I am very thankful that today's technology allows us to live a better and pain free life! I think you're right, for me it's been a feeling of elation since surgery, but now I can feel the doldrums setting in. PATIENCE is the word of the day. :-)

@bab123
It's been pretty interesting to follow your recovery, as we've pretty much had a similar experience. Although I haven't ventured out to go shopping, I can imagine it would take a toll on me. I, too, have a mild feeling of tightness around the incision area. Other than that, I haven't been experiencing any pain, but then again, I've taken it REALLY slow and have just been walking laps around my pool and then resting the rest of the time. I'm so happy you've had such an easy recovery thus far! :-)
 
I'm not very patient either, still have to keep myself reined in, first thing dr castle said when he came in yesterday was, "hey your smiling" lol, hadn't realized I had lost it..
 
@Cynthia777, 'Sup, Peep? :) You are almost a One Month Hippie!!! That is huge! I hope your weekend is going good.

"Why is it that I want to block out of my mind that I have a foreign part in my body?"
Oh boy, I remember that. I had spurts of feeling mildly panicky about having these shiny new hips...still do every once in a great while. It's not a natural thing and I think it's very normal to feel a bit squeamish about it.
Like Jaycey said though, better to have the new hips than the old diseased ones. They've done their duty and deserve to rest while we get on with life with our bionic parts. All will be well.
Sending tons of good thoughts with you as you visit your OS on Monday. *HUGS*
 
@DeepBreath
SO GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK!!! You were dearly missed (at least be this Bone Smartie)! Yes, one month this coming Tuesday...wow, how time DOES fly. Thanks for the well wishes! Hugs!
 
You're a treasure, @Cynthia777. :) Thank you for the kind words.
The time does really start to fly post op. Just wait until you've gotten the second one done and dusted. One day you'll realize that your life has pretty much returned to normal and with the added bonus of No Pain. Heavenly!
I hope your day is wonderful and sunny. *Hugs*
 
@ Ya'll: My experience? Once I hit the 3-4 week time frame, I didn't seem to notice any daily improvements; but I did notice that week to week that I could do things I couldn't do the previous week. When I say do, I mean that I'd notice getting up out of a chair was easier, drying off after a shower my leg was more flexible. I was doing the heel slide exercises (and still am) and noticed that my knee angle was better, and that I could slide without feeling so stiff - and the incision had more motion, less pull. Yesterday, I noticed that getting in and out of the car was almost normal motion (one foot in, sit, bring the other foot in -- none of this backing your seat to the car and swiveling).
@Cynthia777 - I can still do too much in a day and be tired from it, but the recovery seems to be faster ... like yesterday - drove an hour to visit my parents, then went walking on a nearby walking path; on the way home we stopped off to do some bargain shopping. When we got home, I was tired! My fitbit says I walked 3.x miles yesterday - probably the most I've done ever (in years, ha ha), and to top it off -- when I got home I did my doctor ordered 6 minutes on the bike. This morning, I'm ok, and not stiff like I would have been 2 weeks ago. BTW, I'll be at the 8 weeks mark this coming Tuesday.
 
Why is it that I want to block out of my mind the fact that I have a foreign part in my body? I don't like thinking about it even though it feels pretty close to "normal". Has anyone else experienced this?
I remember feeling that way too but I don't think about it much anymore. I find I am so elated that I can walk normally and do things that I haven't done in years that it doesn't even faze me that I have a foreign object in my body. Like Jaycey said, better this than that diseased joint any day!
 
Why is it that I want to block out of my mind the fact that I have a foreign part in my body? I don't like thinking about it even though it feels pretty close to "normal". Has anyone else experienced this?

I don't know maybe where I had the rod/pins in for so long is why it really doesn't bother me, with the rod I always felt like I was sitting on a rock, but since the new hip I haven't felt that, of course I haven't tried laying on that side yet, I'm finally laying on the non-op side now with no problem.

I heard a noise by the front door yesterday and went to look and there stood Snowman looking in at me LOL, I guess he came on the hunt of me since I hadn't been to the barn in a while, I got me a couple smooch's and he seemed happy to go and pick afterwards , Lady could care less as long as she's getting her food lol, all she has to do is make a face at Snow and he's outa there, he's hen-pecked for sure lol..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom