THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick question for @Jaycey or anyone that may know...

I've decided to purchase a stationary bike, but I'm unclear if it should be a recumbent or just a run of the mill upright one. Any thoughts?

EDITED: @CatLady1...you mentioned a certain type of bike on another thread, so maybe you can help me out on this? :-)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided to purchase a stationary bike, but I'm unclear if it should be a recumbent or just a run of the mill upright one. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't purchase anything. Can't you go to a gym and use their equipment?
 
@Jaycey
Ahhh, yes, the good old gym! I think I've purchased at least 10 memberships over the years and have attended about 10 times! My intentions have always been good, but my follow through has been pretty pathetic!
I'm thinking of purchasing a used bike from Craigslist for under $100 and if I don't use it, well, I can always resell it. :-)
 
I have caught up on your thread! The whole collapsing second hip is getting old isn't it! At PT today all they did was massage my op leg and have me do some clam shells because last week's Nu step session ended up flaring up my un op leg. Grrrrr, trying to strengthen one without hurting the other.....not easy. Any word on your second surgery?


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Well now my friends I have hobbled to my Drs surgery and she like you guys was very reassuring though understood my fear of unknown .
She has prescribed me some Diazepam to help in the final days before surgery
I couldn't sing your praises enough my new Bonesmart friends ,hope you are all having a good day , much love .
 
@jomarie58...YES, trying to balance between strengthening the op hip and not flaring up the pain in the non-op leg is getting old indeed! Unfortunately because of the high WBC I experienced during my hospital stay, my surgeon won't schedule my second replacement until my appointment with him on March the 14th. If all goes well, I'm shooting for a mid April date for the second THR. I can't wait (now isn't that a strange thing to say?). :heehee:

Do you have a date for your second replacement yet (you may have mentioned it, but brain fog won't let me remember)?
 
@Cynthia777- Look at you- saying you "can't wait" for #2 hip surgery! I'm with you on that! We've come a long way, baby.

I'm feeling like you and all the other "waiting for #2" crowd- feeling the un-op hip pain more now that I'm more active. Frustrating. Yet strangely motivating at the same time. Ugh, let's get this done.

Hope that ultrasound you had went okay.:flwrysmile: Did you go for that Craigslist bike? I hope you can get #2 surgery scheduled as soon as possible.

Thanks for stopping by my thread and asking how I'm doing. I've been MIA for awhile. Running around doing stuff (well not running literally of course). Plus I took my 3 cats to Petco for rabies vaccinations. First time I went there for that. Anyway, one kitty had horrid reaction to vaccine, puking all over the house, pooping on our bed, then restless, itchy and crying, couldn't get comfortable. Off to the ER we went with her (40 minutes away, at night of course). They gave her fluids, benadryl and anti-nausea meds. (Sounds like my trip to the ER.) I thought we might lose her. I was very scared. I took her to our vet the next day to be checked. She's okay now. Sorry TMI about kitty, but it really threw me.

Also trying to get ready for Mar 8 #2 surgery and deal with lots of stuff for the spring and even summer because I know I won't want things to do hanging over my head while recovering. I'm hoping to read up on everyone now and get back to posting soon. Even when I'm away from BS, I think of all of you and hope everyone's doing great.
 
@Cynthia777 - regarding the bike thing...I have just a regular bike, upright with resistance. I love it. I'm not one for gyms either. Been there, done that. I think all that bacteria fear is a part of it too. I like my bike, a nice, brisk walks, yoga!
I would love to begin swimming again too, but I don't do well with the chlorine at inside pools. I actually think I'm allergic or something. One day we hope to move to a warmer climate, and I will build myself a nice lap pool!

@Readysetgo - hope your kitty is doing better. I'm a cat person! I wish I had some kitty's to hug during this time. Thing is, I couldn't care for them.:sad:
 
Hi Hippy friends pre and post op , you are all doing so well , you should be so proud how far you've come , I look forward to joining you on the other side!
Happy Healing X
 
As I read your post about kitty (you may suspect I'm a cat lover when you look at my avatar), all I could think about (besides how happy I was to read kitty is doing well) was...cha-ching, cha-ching (here in California that little trip would run somewhere close to $1,000)! My daughters cat had a mild case of heat stroke, so she spent the night just rehydrating her and it ran just under $900!

The ultrasound was a no go, as I stupidly ate two crackers with my meds and so it's been rescheduled for next Tuesday. I'm dreading the though of drinking 32 ounces of water and holding it in my bladder for an hour (I pray to God I can do it)! I'm thinking a pair of depends may be in order :yikes:. Thanks for asking :-)

No bike yet, but I'm keeping my eyes out for one.

I'm so excited for your upcoming surgery (maybe just a little bit envious as well)! :heehee: This sitting in limbo is for the birds! Hopefully I should be getting my surgery date on March the 14th when I see my OS. Fingers crossed!
 
@keepmovin
I'm with you on the gym thing! I figure I can set the bike up in our family room right in front of the TV and pedal away. It's my only hope of getting a regular regime of exercise in. Walking around the pool can be quite monotonous! I've been thinking about looking into yoga or Zumba, but am afraid they may end up on my ever increasing list of classes I've joined and attended three or four times. Short attention span I guess. :snork:

My hubby left the east coast many years ago and never looked back. He's not one for cold weather, so on a visit to California forty years ago, he decided to stay and never look back. As for me, I'd love to live someplace where I could experience the four seasons, as I find perfect weather here in SoCal to be somewhat boring.
 
Hello all! Today is day 22 and I'm feeling sooo good! Suddenly (over the past two days) my hip has felt pretty much "normal". That feeling of having a beach towel rolled up inside my hip has disappeared and almost all discomfort is gone. I do have a wee bit of tenderness right around the incision area. On occaision I still get a little tired, so I take about an hour nap and it feels sooo good. I've been walking right around a quarter of a mile every other day (completely resting in between) and have found this to be a good plan for me. I'm able to easily lift my op leg in and out of bed and can put my op leg foot up on my other leg (if that makes sense). I feel as though I could sit Indian style, but I'm not going to do it until my OS gives me the go ahead (March 14th). I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my 2nd THR done, but won't get a date until my March 14th appointment. The biggest fear I face right now is the fear that my 2nd recovery won't be as easy or go as smoothly as my first recovery. I feel blessed that I'm where I'm at and am even more blessed that I have met so many wonderful and caring friends here on Bonesmart. Hugs to all of you! :loveshwr:

EDITED: I do have one issue I forgot to mention. I still have a slight oozing at the top and bottom of my incision (glue was used to close wound) and am wondering if I should worry about this? @Josephine or @Jaycey?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777 - So glad you're feeling so fabulous! Nice to get rid of the rolled up beach towel effect! Sounds like you're doing a nice amount of walking, too! Hope the incision stops oozing. Maybe it's part of the healing process? I didn't have the oozing, but I had staples.

Kitty is doing better, but still not 100% herself. But she plays, eats, cuddles okay. Her fluids were apparently injected not done through IV so I guess that kept the cost down. All in all it wasn't bad- total cost under $200. But still... We've had those thousand dollar cha-chings with vets before! Not pleasant. I do love your avatar. Is his name Milo?

Good luck with the ultrasound Tuesday. Ugh, that's a lot of water to drink. And remember - no snacking!

Glad you're looking forward to your #2 surgery date! I hope you can get that set on March 14th. Keep up the good work- you're doing great!

@keepmovin - Thanks for your well wishes for my kitty! Sorry you don't have a kitty now to comfort you. You are going through some tough times. Hope things ease up soon.
 
@Readysetgo
Yes, my avatar is my cat Milo. I also have a Kiki cat (19 years old and going strong).
The dreaded 32 ounces in one hour water intake is something I'm not looking forward to! I'm not particularly fond of water in the first place (I tried to negotiate crystal lite into the equation, but to no avail). :bignono:

Thanks for the encouragement! :-)
 
@alexthecat
I noticed you on here a minute ago and am wondering if you could advise me on a slight oozing issue? I'm 3 weeks post-op and have a little bit of yellow ooze at the top and bottom of my incision. Is this normal? My OS used glue to close the incision. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
 
Has it been going on for a while or is this a new thing? I'm about to head out to dinner, but I will try to check back here in a little while. Why not tag Jamie too, since she may be back online before I am?
 
Thanks @alexthecat! It's not new, but has been oozing about the same for the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure if it matters, but I did have an allergic reaction to the adhesive and/or latex. I'll page @Jamie for help. Have a wonderful dinner! :-)
 
hello @Cynthia777 ! I'm so sorry to hear about the continued oozing. Have you heard anything from your blood test results? but overall you seem to be healing so well and am so so so happy for you! :loveshwr:
 
You know, it may be nothing. If it were me, just for my own peace of mind, I think I would call the doctor and let them know about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom