THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wore my TEDS for two weeks on both legs most of the time and too the one on my non-op leg off then. Continued to wear it on op-leg another week when I just. Could. Not. Stand. It. Any. Longer.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Arlene56
Good for you! Trust me when I say the surgery and recovery isn't nearly as bad as our minds make it out to be. I think the most difficult part is staying patient and not trying to rush things. I'm not fond of the boredom that follows, nor am I happy with the occaisionally post-op blues. I woke up crying from a dream and I NEVER cry! It kind of stunned me, but it passed quickly. This site is so wonderful, not only because it contains so much information, but because the members here are so supportive. Welcome to the family! :-)
 
@Cynthia777 Happy Valentine's Day! Teds, hmmm nurse threw them in the corner second day after surgery. Lol! Glad to hear you are doing so well. Tears will come randomly, part of the post op blues! They will pass. You are the poster child of hip replacements! You should write the book, "hip replacements for dummies". Hugs!
 
Good Morning Cindy, Hope the park is a reality today. Warm weather and outdoors! Probably just what the Doctor ordered. It's freezing here! Glad you ditched the Teds! My surgeon didn't order them at all. Have a wonderful day!
 
@sunbunny....Hey sister, good to see you and a Happy belated Valentines Day to you too! :loveshwr:
Yes, those occaisionally tears are something, aren't they? No rhyme nor reason for them. The phrase of the day is, "Bye, Bye Teddies"! Yippee, yahoo...free at last! I sure don't know why my recovery has been so easy, but I ain't complaining, that's for sure! Xoxo!!! :-)

@Michegon...OMG, you hit it on the head! They DO look like prison monitors!!! Fortunately I've been paroled today, so off they go! :yes!:

@Elaine F.
Hello my friend!!!! I'm sitting outside with no TEDS, no prison monitors, barefoot and wearing a sundress! Feels so fine! Hubby had to take off to handle some business, but I WILL be hitting the park no later than Wednesday (which is supposed to hit 80 degrees)! I pray you're seeing good days!!! :yay:
 
Day 13

Hi all! Hoping you all had a great Valentine's Day! :-)

I just returned from the follow up visit with my OS. He took Xrays, watched me walk and checked out my incision. He said everything looks perfect! He also said that I looked like I was holding the walker up rather than the other way around, so I can use a cane as long as I don't limp. The TEDS are gone :yahoo:(unless I encounter any swelling) and he said I do not need any PT. He told me to just keep doing whatever I've been doing because all is going so well. He wants to see me in 30 days, at which time we will schedule the 2nd replacement (sometime in April). The only pre-op tests I will need will be current blood work.

Mornings are when I feel best, so I make sure I get all my walking in before evening. I do develop some minor stiffness in the evening, so this is when I ice (right before bed). Post-op Blues hit on occaision and the boredom stinks! Thankfully, I've had no swelling or bruising thus far and I feel so blessed to have had such an easy time with my recovery so far. I'm just praying that my second THR goes as well as this one has.

Hugs and prayers to all of my Bonesmart family...you've been such a wonderful and supportive crew! :cheers:
 
@Cynthia777 what a great Dr's report! Congratulations and yes, just keep on doing what you are doing...
You asked about itching.. ironically, at least for me. I didn't itch much after the glue dropped off, but lately? Itchy itchy!! I don't think you have much numbness around your incision area but I did and now it's coming back to life and the end result is that it itches. Compared to how great it feels to walk pain free? A small blip..

So glad to see you getting out and enjoying the sunshine. Your weather sounds wonderful! :flwrysmile:
 
@Cynthia777 Really pleased you are doing so well and have ditched your TED's :wowspring:though still got mine:hairpulling:
Glad you asked the question about the screws because I had an x-ray last week just to check everything was ok because I kept getting shooting pains up my leg when I put weight on my op leg........and when I asked the girl if everything looked ok she said yes looks ok.......but you've got a screw in it!!!!!:yikes: and sounded really shocked and said they don't usually do that........woahhhh too much information........why have I got a screw in?????:scratch::scratch:
 
@Cynthia777, I am so happy to read about your great follow up appointment! :happydance:
It's always good to hear affirmations from your doctor, isn't it? How are you feeling about the second surgery since seeing him? I hope it helped some with the uncertainty.
Re: the screws, I have them in both my hips, but am honestly unsure whether mine are cemented or uncemented.

Have a terrific day, hippie buddy! :)
 
I looked like I was holding the walker up rather than the other way around, so I can use a cane as long as I don't limp.
The key is "as long as you don't limp". As you said, later in the day you get tired and when we are tired the limp can creep back in. Just keep monitoring this. You sound like you are doing great!

Is it standard procedure to use screws in an uncemented THR?
More dependent on the implant and the positioning by your surgeon. But plenty of THRs include surgical screws.
 
@catwoman55
I can imagine how frightening it was when being told they usually don't use screws (not to mention experiencing pain as well)! I agree with you :yikes:!!!!!! Hopefully your pain disappeared?

@DeepBreath
As far as the second surgery goes...when I told my OS I wanted to schedule it now, he said we can schedule my second THR at my next follow-up appointment which is in 30 days. He wants me to follow-up with my PCP first because of the high wbc I experienced in the hospital (22,000, which had dropped to 16,000 upon discharge). Even before the surgery it was a bit high at 13,500. He further stated that we want to make sure nothing else is going on like, and I quote, "lymphoma or something else that's serious"! :shocked: I told him my PCP thought I had pneumonia and had said the type of white blood cells that were elevated didn't indicate any type of cancer, but more likely an infection, allergy, the stress of surgery or inflammation. He kind of stuttered and said THR's are his specialty, not other illnesses. Now I'm scared to death! Can you imagine going through all of this, just to find out you have some type of catastrophic illness? I am having blood work done today or tomorrow, so please keep me in your prayers. :prayer:

@Elaine F.
I wonder if it has anything to do with our AVN? If you're not worried, I'm not worried!
You can bet I'm going to enjoy this weather! In fact, I'm enjoying my morning cup of java on our veranda (I was going to say porch, but veranda made my cup of coffe sound even more enjoyable)! :heehee:

@Jaycey
I want you to know you would be so proud of me because I adhere to just about everything I've learned here on BS! I remember you telling someone how the brain will remember the limping and how it then has to unlearn the limp. Since my right femoral head has collapsedtoo, I'm going to keep using the walker until my left hip has fully recovered. Thanks Jaycey!!!!:loveshwr:
 
Poor Cindy - so sorry you've got upset about the wbc. When will you get your results and what is a PCP? (I don't always follow the abbreviations - sorry :idea:) You're doing SO well and clearly got a great report from your visit and I'm absolutely in awe of your recovery :spin:. I will refer back to it when I'm going through mine as a benchmark (and something to aim for) Don't worry unless you have something to worry about - and of course you're in our prayers :praying: - and rarely out of my mind in my case - I look eagerly for your posts and enjoy them so much for their newsiness and detail! Hugs :friends:
 
I am having blood work done today or tomorrow, so please keep me in your prayers.
Hope this is just a blip and nothing serious. It's natural to be nervous but please don't worry. Do let us know when you get your results.

I am very proud of you @Cynthia777 ! Look how far you have come. From all the doubts and fears to tackling this head on and having a great recovery! Long may it continue!
 
@Cynthia777, oh hon, yikes! It doesn't sound like your OS has the best 'bedside' manner. He could have said that in a much better way. You will definitely be in my prayers as you do the blood work and wait for the results.
If it helps, my WBC count was a bit high this past summer during my last physical. I asked my PCM if I should be worried and she said no, that it was likely due to all the dental work I had been having and that they weren't the kind of numbers that indicated anything cancer related. Deep breaths and one day at a time.
Great Big Hugs :console2:
 
Oh @Cynthia777 ... I have been a bad girl for being MIA on your thread for the past few days. Please forgive me and know that even if I don't post any comments, you are still in my thoughts and prayers every day. What a wonderful update and report from your OS, except for his mindless comment about your WBC. I would take it with a grain of salt and refer back to what your PCP has said. Like your OS said...his specialty is THRs.
I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much about it. You have come such a long way and your recovery has been so wonderful. Keep the faith, girl!
:console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom