Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it necessary to wear the TEDS 24/7 or is it okay to remove them during the day (I'm 10 days out)?
Let me tell you my experience: after my first surgery, I took mine off on the 4th day as they only provided knee high TEDS and they were so tight they made deep cuts round the top of my calf that were purple. To me this meant that wearing them was more hazardous than not wearing them so I took them off and laid them on the end of the bed for all to see. During the next couple of hours, a few nurses came in for various reasons, looked at them, looked at me and said nothing. Then the sister came hastening down the corridor to my room, stopped in the doorway, looked at the TEDS and then at me, said nothing and left. About an hour later, my surgeon stopped by. He pulled up a chair and sat and chatted for a few minutes. It seemed he never noticed the TEDS but if he did, he chose not to react. I took that as an affirmation that it was okay!

Oh, and I also found and old article which you might find of interest Surgical stockings do not cut risk of blood clots, research suggests.
 
Thanks @Nana757 and @CricketHip! Very helpful info from both of you. The burning in the feet is so odd. I remember reading about others heels burning, but this burning was even on the sides of my feet. Thankfully it disappeared pretty quickly. I'll remember to keep them off of the bed tonight.
 
I asked the head PT guy who came to my house if anyone who had THR with my surgeon or any other surgeon in the company/office got TEDS. I was surprised (and grateful) I didn't have them. He said he's never seen them on ANY of their patients! They just don't use them. (And he's worked for them a long time.) He said that the TEDS don't do "anything" and are just too hard to put on.
 
@Cynthia777 - I hope the burning in your feet goes away. Sounds very unpleasant. I never had that sensation.

I also hope you have a good meeting with your OS tomorrow. I enjoyed having OT, PT and home nurse (except early on in my recovery, when I was still nauseous. Then I just wanted them to leave after 5 minutes.) I found that I learned something new from each visit. They have worked with a LOT of post surgery patients plus they could give me helpful feedback and different local recommendations (i.e. closest and best outpatient PT place, etc.). I asked them lots of questions and was honest with them. Told PT therapist I was not going to the exercises 2 or 3 times a day, sorry.

Moving more did cause my pain level to increase a bit - not pain really, more like stiffness, not too bad. I would just ice and elevate at the end of a day when I pushed it more.

Your recovery is just going fabulously! So happy for you. Keep it up! :yay:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you are getting to ditch the TED hose - they are the worst to put on and so uncomfortable. I had a DVT device similar to what you are using but mine didn't snap but rather compressed each calf one at a time, alternating every 30 seconds or so. I actually didn't mind that device because it felt like a mini massage. The only thing I didn't like was having to have someone else put them on and off since I couldn't bend and do it myself.
 
Hi @Cynthia777,
I'm having my surgery tomorrow and have enjoyed reading your recovery thread...I can only hope that my recovery goes as smoothly as yours has! I've also had fun setting up my lady lair, I'll post a picture of my recliner in the "media area".



RTHR, MIS (minimally invasive surgery), posterolateral approach, Feb. 15, 2016
 
@Readysetgo

Very interesting how each surgeon is so different! I think I'm going to go ahead and "cheat" tonight and trash the TEDS! I've been trying to analyze how they help in avoiding the developement of a DVT and I haven't been able to figure out how they would be helpful in doing so.

I sure wish I could have straightened out the home care issue, as I can see how helpful they could have been. Oh well, I'm going to go over @CricketHip's thread again and read the link she just posted (thank you so much @CricketHip)!

@Hipster Girl
I like the idea of the compression and "mini massage" much better than the snapping every 30 seconds. The strangest thing is the snapping never disturbed my sleep. The first time I put them on I looked at hubby and said, "What the (blank). How in the world would anyone be able to sleep with these!" Lol! Fortunately I'm able to put them on myself. :-)

@Kitsmom

Oooh, you look soooo comfy!!!! I'm so happy my thread could be of some comfort to you! Please don't be afraid, as the surgery and recovery has been SO much easier than I could have ever imagined! I'm not sure if it's because I had the anterior approach or because of all my prayers (or a combo thereof)! :-)

I will be following your recovery, as well as sending up prayers for you too!!!! Prayers, hugs and blessings for you tomorrow. :prayer: Have you started your recovery thread yet?
 
Trashing poor TED and cheating on him! You are naughty, @Cynthia777! :no-fin: :loll:

I did have the compression booties in the hospital and I liked the massaging action. Their noise didn't bother me.

Good luck with your OS meeting tomorrow. Looking forward to your post about it. :)
 
I haven't been wearing TEDS for several days since the pt person told me I didn't need them. I am doing very well except I probably overdid it yesterday. Felt very good, did some cooking with hubby, walked around house a lot. During the night my thigh area was so achey and sore. I am being less active today and using ice..
 
@Readysetgo
Shhhh! Friends never tell! :snork:

@bab123
I'm seeing a similar trend...the more you move, the stiffer you get later in the day. I think in the future, THR recipients are going to look back at pictures of the TEDS and say, "You mean they used to have to wear those ugly things?" :heehee:
 
Day 12

It's very difficult updating because this plateau hits (at least for me) where things are pretty much the same as they were 3 or 4 days before. No pain, brain drain and boredom are the words of the day.

I'm pretty tempted to have hubby take me to the local park and roll me around in the wheelchair that my mom used to own (I'm feeling that good).

I measured my walking route and figure I'm walking about 900 feet a day, plus whatever the distance I walk in the house getting this or that. The only new update is, I woke up this morning sleeping on my side! Today I tested laying on both sides and believe it or not, sleeping on the op side is more comfortable than sleeping on the
non-op side.

I hope all is well with my great Bonesmart pals! :-)
 
@Cynthia777, I'm not sure if my experience is the same as your foot burning, but after my second surgery I had a burning sensation on the top of my foot close to my ankle. It was intermittent. I mentioned it to my surgeon at my 2 week check up and he took my TED hose off (it was a true Prince Charming moment) and palpated my foot. He said he thought it could be the way the TED hose fit on that area of my foot and told me to stop wearing them.
The burning was reduced greatly and was completely gone in a couple of days.
So much stuff is stirred up during surgery and odd sensations occur. After my second surgery my thumb and forefinger on my right hand hurt like the dickens. I still don't know why that happened, but it lingered for a few days and then disappeared. Once in a great while one side of that forefinger will feel numb though. I don't know if my hand was trapped under me during the procedure or what. Strange! :what:
 
Very interesting @DeepBreath! I guess I shouldn't be surprised that we would experience odd sensations in other areas of our body since our nervous system is all linked together, yes?

I just looked at our forecast and our temps over the next three days will range from 74 to 79 degrees! I best take advantage of it while it lasts....off to the park after my OS appointment tomorrow may be in order! :-)
 
Good luck. Looking forward to your posts from being on the other side!
 
Hi @Arlene56!
Thanks for the "good luck", much appreciated. So far, my recovery has gone so well and I'm just hoping when I have my second THR, it will be just as easy. I'm actually still in shock at how much easier this surgery and recovery has been compared to what my anxious mind envisioned! Are you having a THR in the near future?
 
Oh, I forgot to mention my incision is itching too, but it's not painful to the touch. I've got that glue stuff holding the incision together. Approximately how long does the itching phase last?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom