Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now, @Cynthia777 and @gullimac ... I've put my thinking cap on and came up with a couple of ideas but were not fit for print :heehee:. However, since most of us ladies know that men do not make ideal patients, no offense to all the men on this forum...but I think you know who you are... How about the "Whine Cellar"?

:rotfl: I crack myself up, sometimes!!!
 
Yes, @Cynthia777 my OS was good enough to send me a link to their online app which guided me though the walking and if I kept my phone with me, it measured my steps and everyday I ws to sign on and give a rating of my pain levels. I enjoyed tracking my steps so much that I now wear a fitbit and I love it. It was called Force Therapeutics. :)
 
@Nana757.....How very apropos! I knew you would think of something perfect! :rofsign:

@DeepBreath....I am doing excellent, except for the scary dream I just awoke from! I dreamt that I slipped in the kitchen (this was scary in itself....me being in the kitchen) and fell flat on my rear end. As I was sitting there, wondering if I should be worried or not, my daughter came home which woke up me up. Weird! Thanks for asking!!!

@CricketHip
It's too bad my surgeon doesn't offer something similar! Not only would it be helpful, but motivating as well. I'm pretty certain I'm not walking as much as I should be. I'm still awaiting the new home health care people to call, but Monday I see my OS and may not need them. Crazy when messing with insurance companies (you would think paying just under $900 a month for my policy that I would have the Royal Ballet performing for me)! :heehee:
 
Day 10

No news is good news, huh? Really not too much to report, as all is well on the Homefront. :-)

I do have my first OS appointment on Monday and am looking forward to it. I need to find out what the deal is with PT. I haven't been able to straighten out the home health care insurance fiasco and since its been 10 days since my surgery, I imagine I'll be skipping it all together. I'm not sure if my OS will order in-home PT or if it will be on an outpatient basis, but I really want to get something going (I'm really not a very physically motivated individual, so I need a push).

Everyone have a wonderful and blessed weekend! :-)
 
Is it necessary to wear the TEDS 24/7 or is it okay to remove them during the day (I'm 10 days out)?
If you were given TEDs in the hospital they probably told you to wear them until your followup appointment (6 weeks). I am not going to tell you to disobey your surgeon's orders but I too ditched the TEDs post both THRs after about 2 weeks. Too hard to put on and very uncomfortable.

Are you taking any medication to thin your blood? If you are and you are also moving around during the day you probably don't need the TEDs. But again, the decision is yours.
 
@Jaycey
I have my first (and maybe only...not sure) OS appointment on Monday (2 weeks post-op). This morning I found my post-op directions (had to dig through 50 pieces of papers I was sent home with) and lo and behold they say I can stop wearing the TEDS 2 weeks post-op (this coming Tuesday). :egypdance: At night, in addition to the TEDS, I've also had to wear these little boxes that strap onto each shin. Once turned on they snap every minute or so. I'm not sure what they're called, but on the paperwork they call them "DVT". I can't wait to get rid of them because they're loud and they make my shins sore.
For blood thinning therapy, I take one aspirin (325 mg) a day.
 
Day 11

Late in the day yesterday, I noticed I've begun experiencing some stiffness and weakness in my legs. I'm sure this must be due to the fact that I've started moving around a lot more. I think the reason I haven't experienced much pain is because I haven't had any PT yet and have walked around just a few times a day. I think I will probably start having certain pain issues once PT starts. We shall see. Otherwise I feel darn good and am so amazed that one can go through this surgery and recovery so rapidly, however I do know things can change at a moments notice. I pray it won't change and I keep every finger and toe crossed that my recovery continues to progress without a hitch.
Did any of you notice that you began having more pain and or stiffness upon starting PT?
 
At night, in addition to the TEDS, I've also had to wear these little boxes that strap onto each shin.
Wow - never heard of this. Must be very annoying!
Did any of you notice that you began having more pain and or stiffness upon starting PT?
At first almost any new activity brought on stiffness and some pain. Just go easy on everything. Slow and steady and don't let anyone push you. Still very early days for you!
 
@Cynthia777, GAH about the nightmare! That's no fun. LOL about it being scary for you to be in the kitchen in the first place. I had a couple of nightmares in the early days of my recovery as well. I never knew if it was just general dream stuff or if the pain killers contributed. Luckily it was very short lived.
Hoping the pain and stiffness subside soon. I agree with Jaycey about any additional movement during that first little bit bringing that on. There is so much trauma from the surgery and then dealing with the onslaught of meds. Our poor bodies are valiantly trying to heal and I think at some point they just say "Argh! :hissy: I'm healing here!"
This too shall pass.
Yikes, those little box things sound hideous. I'm glad you get to ditch the TEDs next week. It is such a relief taking those off for the last time (I gave my legs a good going over with my back scratcher afterwards just to get that confined feeling off of them). :)

I hope you enjoy your weekend, friend. Keep up the awesome work!
 
Just wanted to say hello and congratulations for being on the other side! What a happy place to be in! You are doing a great and it only gets better.:SUNsmile:
 
@Jaycey

Here is a photo of the devices I wear all night on my shins. They are fairly loud when they snap and sometimes they make my leg jump (as though they're hitting the spot where the doc checks your reflexes). The strange part is I must get used to them because they never wake me up during the night.

[Bonesmart.org] FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey
 
I have another question that I forgot to mention in my update. I did awake last night with some burning in my feet. It didn't last long, but it was a very strange sensation. Has anyone else experienced this?
 
Okay... @Cynthia777.... Here's what I was told by the nursing staff at the rehab center, about 2 or 3 days into my stay, which was about day 5 or 6 from surgery. They told me I shouldn't be wearing them at night. And, since I was being so mobile during the day, with walking and PT, and elevating at night time and any other time I was resting, I actually stopped wearing them altogether. But, I was continually doing my ankle movements and any leg movements I could muster. I was also getting injections in the hospital and was put on Warfarin at the rehab center. I would think since you are using the DVT apparatus at night, the TEDs wouldn't be necessary, at the same time. But that's only my opinion and since you only have a couple more days to go..maybe using both isn't such a bad idea.
Ahhhh....the burning feet! I remember them well. Soooooo annoying. What I found that worked for me, was to prop my lower leg up on a pillow high enough that it did not touch any part of the bed. Some people just use a rolled up towel under their ankle. That wasn't high enough for me. It got to the point that if any of my foot touched the bed, it would start burning. And, I also had the aides rub my feet with lotion, which felt oh so good!
And, there probably will be more aches, pains and stiffness once you start moving around more and start PT. all those muscles and stuff have been asleep for awhile and you're waking them up. They are going to scream at you on occasion. But, once you start PT, remember, don't let them push or force you to do something that is painful.
As I said in my thread, your recovery has been nothing short of a miracle and I couldn't be more thrilled for you. Keep up the great recovery, my friend. Hugs and kisses!!!!
:roseshwr:
 
Hi @Cynthia777 If I recall correctly, you have already cut back your meds? I kept m one going full strength while adjusting to the walking and getting in more activity. It's a pretty significant stiffness that keeps a post op person from walking as well and I wanted to get in the habit of walking without limping.. so that's how I approached the first several weeks of post op. None of it was horribly painful, that's for sure.
You have done so well.. I think getting a green light from your Dr about walking more and some simple exercises will help you feel more at ease with what you can do.
I didn't have ANY TED hose to wear!! I took the baby aspirin 2 x a day and that was it, I swear, I did the foot pumps so much that I would wake up and would be doing them... seriously! I wonder if the hose are causing your feet to feel "the burn"?

I still have falling nightmares! crazy! You are doing so well!! Has it really already been 10 days! You've totally got this, girl!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom