Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Miss Muffet
Thank you so much for your ever present sweet and kind words! You're a doll! In the U.S. we call our doctors either GP's (General Practitioners) or PCP's (Primary Care Physicians). You say potato and we say potatoe (or something like that....lol! I'm so pleased that I have been somewhat of a help to you and hopefully for others as well. I can truly say, the only issue I've had post-op is the stiffness that hits in the evening. I think my easy recovery is due to the fact that I've taken it very slow and steady, completely listening to my body. If it hurts, I don't do it. It's really a balancing act. If anything I don't move as much as I should, but my OS said I'm coming along great, so I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing. You're going to be so knowledgable by the time you have your surgery, that you're going to do great! :-)

@Jaycey and @DeepBreath
Thanks pals, I will TRY and not worry. I'm going to have to focus on the same saying I did during my pre-op wait...."It is what it is and all the worrying in the world isn't going to change what it is...give it to God." :prayer:
 
@Nana757
Don't you dare worry about your MIA! If it's one thing I know for a fact, it's that you are sending prayers for me (and everyone else) and that means the world to me!!! I'm happy pure able to skip out here and there and get on with enjoying life like you're doing!!!! Hugs and xoxoxo's my friend! :loveshwr:
 
Ha - now I know what a PCP is! Thanks. :eyebrows: I truly do mean it .... I am so aware of the long journey you took to get to this stage and I suspect I feel the same anxieties you felt which caused you to delay. I'm a bag of nerves and am sure hubby thinks I'm a complete nazzbag (Yorkshire expression I believe, can also be used to express that someone is nazzy) :tantrum2:He gets his ears chewed off regularly but I think he understands it is purely tension. The fact that you conquered your fears and simply got on with it is the approach I need to adopt. Waiting is hellish - and I know you felt the same. Your string goes back miles and it is a success story in itself. Strange to say but I've only been on this site a few weeks yet I really do feel I've made some real friends. :cheers: I could never find that level of support elsewhere, and that is just because you all know and understand - it means the world. Have another hug :friends: x
 
@Cynthia777 Hey there hippy buddy!!! I am now in that strange haze that makes it harder to keep up with everyone's threads.....and sleeping could happen in any moment !

So glad they are keeping an eye on that blood count. They seem to have a good range to track and investigate from. When will you have the results?
 
Screws in THR cups are quite normal but they are used because of the design of the cup, not because it needs them to be stable. Lots of people get a bit anxious when they first see the xray which makes me wonder why their surgeons never told them about it in the first place!

It can have one screw, two or occasionally even three.

Here's a stock photo I have.
 
With everything I've been through my blood work, WBC and everything else would occasionally just go wacky regardless of my infection at the time. Then it would stabilize on it's own. Like everyone here says, try not to worry too much, but feel free to vent about it as much as you want! We'll all listen and comfort!:wink:

I'm going to keep it in mind to ask my surgeon about this screw issue...wonder if it's pretty standard.

I'm suppose to have my new THR in late March early April so maybe we'll be comparing notes together! :)
 
@Cynthia777- Sounds like a great update for your hip from OS! But so sorry about the WBC biz! Your OS did not have a kind bedside manner about that. My #2 hip surgeon warned me at pre-op appointment that there were things that could go wrong for #2 - "Like blood clots, and clots that could go to your lungs and kill you." He literally said that. I think I blacked that out until I read your post just now. Maybe they say the worst to "cover themselves"? I really think this is just a blip for you as Jaycee said. Difficult blip. Hugs to you, friend! I also noticed my recent B/W for #2 was a bit off but I haven't talked to anyone about it yet. Just saw it on my online chart.

I love the idea of you enjoying your java on the veranda! "Veranda"- what a lovely word. Must make a point of using it more!

Hang in there. We're with you! You are strong and positive and doing great. :flwrysmile:
 
@Miss Muffet....yes, you are among friends here on Bonesmart! Friends that understand and care. This site is a godsend! My only advice to you is, don't prolong the agonizing pre-op period (why prolong the worst part of the entire process?). I sure wish I hadn't! Hugs!

@Toddlermom...isn't that haze crazy??? I don't know how many posts I missed during that time, but it was impossible to keep up with. After about 10 days the haze started lifting, but it still rears its ugly head on occaision. As far as the blood test results go, I didn't go today, but will go first thing tomorrow and I think the results should come in right away. Thanks for asking my friend! :-)

@keepmovin...I'm sure hoping that the high wbc count has to do with something minor, that's for sure. I feel great, so hopefully that's a good sign! Yes, who knows, we very well may end up being surgery buddies! Compare notes we will! :friends:

@Readysetgo...I can't believe your surgeon said that! Ummm, a good business man he's not! I sometimes feel many of these "smart" doctors lack common sense (book learned, but dumb as door nails with people skills)! :heehee:
If you haven't heard anything on your test results, it's probably nothing to worry about (no news is good news?). If you weren't so far away, I'd invite you over for a cup of java on my lovely "veranda"! :cheers:
 
I am so happy to see all of your posts Cindy! You are rockin' this THR stuff! Keep up the speed healing and be careful. The good Lord really has your back!! He's so good and faithful! Love and prayers to continue for you. ❤️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
As far as the second surgery goes...when I told my OS I wanted to schedule it now, he said we can schedule my second THR at my next follow-up appointment which is in 30 days. He wants me to follow-up with my PCP first because of the high wbc I experienced in the hospital (22,000, which had dropped to 16,000 upon discharge). Even before the surgery it was a bit high at 13,500. He further stated that we want to make sure nothing else is going on like, and I quote, "lymphoma or something else that's serious"! :shocked: I told him my PCP thought I had pneumonia and had said the type of white blood cells that were elevated didn't indicate any type of cancer, but more likely an infection, allergy, the stress of surgery or inflammation. He kind of stuttered and said THR's are his specialty, not other illnesses. Now I'm scared to death! Can you imagine going through all of this, just to find out you have some type of catastrophic illness? I am having blood work done today or tomorrow, so please keep me in your prayers.
@Cynthia777 Gee, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. My wbc is always a little high. Asthma, colds, inflammation and tons of other things can do that. My family doctor sent me to a hematologist who said it really was no big deal and he didn't find anything wrong. I'm trying to ease your mind. Hope I did. Text me tomorrow if your still worried.
 
@45goingon90
There you are, you precious girl! It's so good to see you dear one! Thank you for your ongoing prayers...you don't know how much I appreciate it! Prayers, hugs and xoxoxo's sent your way! :loveshwr:
 
@Elaine F.
What a sweetheart! Thank you for sharing! It most definitely has helped calm my nerves a bit. I'll bet you were worried sick when you were sent to the hematologist! Thank goodness it was nothing serious!!! Do you remember how high your WBC count was? If you'd rather text me, I'll be around. :wave:

p.s. I still haven't figured out how to quote just a portion of someone's thread, so you did it just like I would. :-)
 
@Cynthia777 I really don't remember how high the count was but remember that the absolute eosinophils were elevated. He really felt it was from asthma and inflammation and no cause for concern. Hope you have a great day. Snow is gone here! Yeah!! I'm meeting friends for lunch!
 
Day 15

Today I went and had my blood drawn. I have a follow-up visit with my PCP on Monday morning, so I will most likely get the results then (don't you just love weekends, when you're waiting for test results?).

Well all, I had my first post-op blip (excluding the WBC count). During my visit with my OS on Monday, I had mentioned to him that I had a mild allergic reaction to one of the tapes the hospital had used. I told him at home I had been using a latex free tape when changing my dressing and I had no problems with that. So his nurse asked him if she should put down a latex allergy and he told her no, it was an adhesive allergy....I rolled my eyes. He then changed my dressing using whatever tape he uses (I'm assuming it was an adhesive free tape). Well, last night when I went to take my shower and I pulled off the dressing he applied, I found an ugly rash...I rolled my eyes again! It also seemed as though my skin came off along with the tape (during the day I had also noticed the incision seemed to be a bit more itchy). I used my latex free tape when I put the dressing back on and today it feels so much better and the itchiness is gone...I just rolled my eyes again! So, with that being said, I'm pretty certain I AM allergic to latex (I really enjoyed telling his nurse today to mark the allergy to latex in my chart...he's a bit arrogant, hence the enjoyment I felt telling them). :snork:

Today while taking a snooze, I laid on my op side and by golly, it feels SO good! I have noticed a bit more discomfort in the groin area and a nigglings worth of pain on the outer/upper buttocks area. I was told my OS implants some type of pain killer inside the hip and I'm wondering if it could be wearing off now, explaining the mild pain I'm encountering. I was under the impression that the pain killer only lasted for a couple of days (at least that's what I assumed...I always tell hubs, "Never assume anything", so I'm not telling him that I did! :heehee:

So that's the story and I'm stickin to it! I hope my BS family are seeing good days! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Cynthia777 SO HAPPY to hear how well your recovery is going!!
I knew you would sail through as I have been lucky enough to do as well! Isn't it amazing- AMAZING how wonderful it feels!
I have been thinking of you & all of My Bonesmart comrades, I am well overdue to post on my own thread, so with due diligence, I will head over shortly and do so!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @TerryCloth! I've missed your upbeat and interesting updates! AMAZING? Heck, it's actually supercalifragilisticexpialidociously AMAZING! Now I'm worried my second THR couldn't possibly be this easy! If there's something to worry about, I'll find it! :heehee:

All kidding aside, so good to hear from you and that you're doing so well! Looking forward to your update. :-)
 
@Cynthia777 gladd to see your posts above and that things are going so awesome for you after your
Brief extended stay in the hospital . I had a brief eye infection and found I could only spend limited time on my iPad as I was heading into my week 2-3 recovery so I had to bow out for a while and save my eyes for communicating with my son who is abroad for the month. I think you'll find some really big improvements in your already super recovery in your next week or so........I found my stiffness diminishing, energy re turning, and comfy new sleep positions:sleep:. Not sure about you but my incision area, about 8" in all directions from the small 4-5" incision was pretty numb until my 3-4 week post surgery. aS the numbness went away I've had a bit of different deep tissue pain, which I learned is pretty typical as that area wakes up and tightens with some scar tissue......so now I'm massaging the area with lotion, and doing some easy stretches which helps!
Keeping you in my prayers as you await the results from your labs......mine have been a bit off....more with LRB
Count and slightly higher wbc but it's seems to be slowly leveling back to normal as they said it would....
I saw your post about the comfy recliner chair!!!!!!!!,MY FAVORITE recovery piece too......only mine was noted for the month. It was taken away yesterday.........gosh do I ever miss it?!! Haven't found my nesting spot on our Family room sofa yet that is anywhere nearly as comfy!!!!!!
aRent you soooo glad at how well this feels?..... so soon after having a major body part replaced with a state of the art hunk of titanium! iTs just a miracle......I too feel so blessed......and know the hip 2 is somewhere off in the future as well.....but like you I sure will not dread it as I did # 1!!!!!! Cheers:flwrysmile:
 
@geneva
Ohhh, I'm so sorry you had to deal with a darn eye infection, but am happy it was short lived AND I'm happy you're back here with your BS family! :-)

Over the last couple of days, I've noticed the stiffness is abating quite a bit and the brain drain and fatigue is getting better by the day (I'm now able to recite the alphabet without forgetting any letters...phew :heehee:). I'm also happy to say that side sleeping has now become quite comfortable (boy, that back sleeping can sure do a number on one's back)!
I'm not experiencing the numbness around the incision much, but I can see some ugly scar tissue puckering. I sure hope this disappears. Since I had a reaction to the latex tape, a few spots around the incision are a bit tender, so I haven't done any massaging yet, nor noticed any deep tissue pain (yet). I can't believe how wonderful it feels to stretch all areas of my body!

Thank you so very much for keeping me in your prayers! It means the world to me and I'll take all of them I can get. I'm putting this in The Lords hands and I know he'll be at my side, no matter what the test results show. I'm staying strong.

How dare they take your throne away! Those cads! Fortunately I was able to find a really nice used one (it's a lift chair as well) on craigslist for $200 (they probably would have taken $150, but they were such nice people and I could tell they might need the extra bucks, so I paid full price). I can't imagine trying to get comfortable on our leather sofas (too soft)! My throne has found a permanent home...:snork:

Blessed is the word of the day for me as well! Are you planning to have your second THR anytime soon? You are in my thoughts AND prayers Barbara! :loveshwr:
 
@Cynthia777, boo hiss about the OS not listening to you like he should regarding the latex issue. I'm glad you are doing your own latex free thing and are seeing relief because of it. Those post surgery rashes are no fun.
Yaay about the side sleeping! That is wonderful. :)
I am winging continued good vibes your way for an 'All Clear' report from your doc on Monday. Of course there would be a weekend to get through before you can get your answer...ain't that the way it always is?
Spoil yourself somehow this weekend, okay? You deserve it for being such a champ! *Hugs* :)
 
Now I'm worried my second THR couldn't possibly be this easy! If there's something to worry about, I'll find it! :heehee:
Now listen here - if you think you're going to overtake me on worry posts you need to think again. I surely must be competing with your pre-Op posts and when Hip #2 follows up the rear (pun) I swear I'll overtake you! :skep:
My only advice to you is, don't prolong the agonizing pre-op period (why prolong the worst part of the entire process?). I sure wish I hadn't!
I REALLY am only waiting for a date - am on the list and honest injuns am not procrastinating. :bolt:
When the mail plops on the mat every day I hunt for a letter.
And then you'll need to stand by for HEAPS more posts asking oodles more questions .....:reading: :sos: :type:
LOVE your posts. So detailed, amusing, informative and warm. What a great buddy you are!:friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom