THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@abusby
Very wise and sound advice! I'm going to follow suit. I have a tendency to just kickback and watch everyone wait on me hand and foot. :heehee:

@DeepBreath
Oh yes, my "lady lair"....I'm afraid I made it just a wee bit too comfortable (I hate leaving it and getting my bazooka moving)! Funny you mention not being able to sleep on your side, as last night I woke up sleeping on my side! Until last night it felt a little uncomfortable because my op leg felt like it weighed about 50 pounds more than my non op leg. I notice today that they feel pretty much the same weight wise. Since I haven't experienced much inflammation, I'm thinking any inflammation must have been deep inside where it went unnoticed. I'm just praying, and I mean really praying, that my hips don't end up any larger than they were pre-op! :yikes:
 
@Cynthia777, silly girl! You crack me up. I'm sure your hips are the perfect size. I don't know what happens when there is not much external swelling. I was very lucky and didn't experience swelling except for a little bit around the tops of my TED hose a couple of times. I didn't bruise either, which surprised me. I had prepared myself mentally for those two things to occur, but then they didn't. :)
Oh man, that op leg heaviness is something, isn't it? It feels almost like it's a foreign thing attached to your body. Yaay that you were able to lay on your side! I think my issue is the posterior approach. Laying on the incisions is uncomfortable. Nana shared that the sensation has abated for her, so I'm hoping it does for me as well.
I should get the bamboo roller I ordered, recommended by CricketHip, at the end of this week. I look forward to trying it out and feeling the results. :)

I hope you enjoy your day, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
Oh @Cynthia777 ... Were you just pranking us and really didn't have surgery??? Just kidding :heehee:! You are doing so remarkable, I just can't wait until you get your other hip done. I love to hear about your incredible progress and lack of all those nasty side effects that some of us have experienced. Major kudos to you and your surgeon. And to think you were on the fence for so long and now, look at you! I couldn't be happier for you!
:loveshwr:
 
@Cynthia777- I love that you've made you Lady Lair a "wee bit too confortable"! Good for you! About "getting your bazooka moving" - I say don't worry about that. My PT guy told me the first week of recovery to walk every hour. Uh - No! (Especially after me being weak from not holding any food down for 4 days.) I think it's best to move when you feel like it or need something important like the potty, chocolate or a cup of java. :heehee:

Speaking of java, nice move putting your coffee in a thermos, then your apron to transport it after your "Now what?" moment. I've used the thermos a few times, too. I love that you tried to put your kitty in your apron! Sounds like something I would try.

Glad you can sleep on your side now. Rest is so important and you're doing a great job of it and being comfy as you can under the circumstances! Keep it up! :)
 
@Cynthia777 - oh my gosh you are on the other side and I missed it! I thought you were mid Feb, I'm so sorry! I just read through your posts and sounds like your recovery is going great (the part where you were off line for a while in the hospital had me concerned, glad you got passed that.). You were such a ray of sunshine during my recovery and clearly here with all your BS friends, you've been a blessing to so many others.
It's awesome on the other side, as each month passes it becomes less and less of a thought (which explains my absence on here for so long!).
God bless you my friend and I will say a prayer for you.
Think of where we were a year ago...we've come so far! Right @JayP and @JulieJF?! Thank God for friends on here!
 
I turned down the anti-inflammatory because I think @Josephine mentioned something about they may not be the best thing to take with uncemented hips. Did I read that somewhere here Josephine, or was I hallucinating?
No you weren't hallucinating! NSAIDs are known to repress the formation of new bone cells which uncemented implants rely on - bony ingrowth to secure the device.
 
Well @Josephine, you should feel proud of the fact that I followed your advice over that of my surgeons! I told him :bignono: according to THE Josephine, when he told me I would be taking the NSAIDs as part of my pain control cocktail. :heehee:

All kidding aside, I want to thank you for sharing your vast knowledge and experience with all of us here on Bonesmart! It's greatly appreciated!!!!
 
@Nana757

You know, this has gone so smoothly that I'm afraid the other THR won't be so easy. :shocked:
You hit it on the head...why in the heck did I wait so long? Thanks for the good vibes you ALWAYS send!!!!
Hugs and xoxoxo's!
 
@Readysetgo

I'm with you girl, that "walk every hour" is for the birds. I prefer to do as you say, walk when I need something or when I feel like it. I walked quite a bit yesterday and found my legs (yes both) were really tired and a bit stiff last night. I also noticed they felt a little restless, where I didn't want to sit, but I didn't want to walk either. So, I took a pain pill and it made me feel like a million dollars.
Ps....Kitty wasn't pleased as I tried bending him in fours! :heehee:
 
@gummybears!!!!!!!!!!!

There you are my friend! Don't you dare worry that you missed my surgery! You're here now aren't you! :-)

Your kind words are making me blush! I feel you and the others were the ray of Sunshine and blessing in my life during that difficult decision making time I experienced!
You were one of my greatest inspirations to finally move forward with surgery and for that I'm ever so grateful to you! I pray you and your precious family are out there in the world enjoying your new found freedom!
Thank you so much for stopping by! :roseshwr:
 
@Gummy Bears true enough. This forum is great for both information and support.

@Cynthia777 Re: hips - I've always had big/wide hips. Don't know if it's just "the way they are" or if it's in some way related to my hip problems (Perthes, OA). For about 3 months after surgery I thought my op-hip was noticeably bigger. I was concerned that it might be due to the implant... and... what'cha gonna do? It was apparently just swelling. My hips are now just their normal big size.
 
LOL @Cynthia777! You know, they gave me the knee high TED stockings with both surgeries. I wondered about that since it seemed the thigh high ones would be the better option.
I do remember thinking, during one of the swelling incidents that my leg looked vaguely like a tree with my lower leg being the trunk and my thigh the branches and leaves...except it wasn't beautiful and majestic like a tree...maybe a cottage cheese tree. That ain't cute.

Tee-Hee :heehee:
 
Day 9 Update

Really not much to report, as it seems as though the improvements grow by leaps and bounds the first week and then more or less taper to slow improvements from there. I'm not experiencing any pain, just muscle tiredness at times. I do see the mood dips (ultra sensitive) occurring here and there (always when I'm alone), but I just go take a nap when these hit, as they are short lived.

I thought maybe I would list the things I did or bought pre-op that I'm most grateful for:

1. My precious, precious used hospital bed and the 3" foam mattress topper (4 lb. density) I bought from Amazon (I think it was about $95). It has made my world much more manageable and extremely comfortable!
2. Pre-op PT. Although I only went to about 7 or 8 sessions, I'm sure the muscle strengthening has been invaluable in the aiding of my recovery.
3. My used lift chair (covered in a snugly comforter) has been very useful.
4. My deep 3 pocket apron that's tied to the front of my walker (I didn't buy a connecting tray, but I wish I had).
5. Little tables near my bed and recliner are a must for convenience
6. Taking my pain meds, so to stay ahead of the pain.
7. NOT trying to rush the recovery...very important! Take it slow and steady, but rest as much as possible!
8. Last, but definitely not least, my two slaves...oops, I meant helpers (hubby and daughter). :heehee:

Hope all my Bonesmart family are seeing better days post-op and feeling blessed that this surgery is available to us...imagine if we lived in the covered wagon days! :shocked:
 
Cindy, Sounds great! I agree with you on the emotional side - I have had several periods of feeling some mixture of more than normal depressed, annoyed, etc, it eventually just goes away so i try hard to not snap at anyone :)
 
Hi @Cynthia777 !! Well, phooey! I haven't had any notices to tell me that you have posted.. but I should have been watching and looking, too. You sound so great! My OS gave me instructions on the walking. The first several days they had on my instructions to walk at least 50 steps 3 x a day. then it doubled to 100 steps 3 x day. By the second week I think it went to 500 steps 3 x a day.. and so on. I tempered that with my favorite mantras to do any exercise within my limits and some days that 3rd walk never happened. :heehee:
In my case and I think for you too, walking was very enjoyable and helped keep my pot op emotions in control.

I hear you about the Lady lair...! I loved my lair!! (but yours sounds really really super duper nice!)

When I think of how you worried?? well, just so happy to read your posts and hear how well you are doing.

:loveshwr::roseshwr::wowspring::wowspring::roseshwr::loveshwr:
 
@CricketHip

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now I've got an idea of where I should be. I asked hubby to pick up a pedometer, but he hasn't done so, so I'm going to be on him. You're so right, the emotional benefits one gets from being out and about is a very important part of this journey for people like you and I.

You know, it really wasn't the fear of surgery that kept me from moving forward, it was more a fear that I wouldn't be happy afterwards because any improvement wouldn't have been much of an improvement. I went weeks at a time with no pain at all, which just kept me sitting on the fence. Then of course, there was the surgeon who told me my AVN could resolve on its own. But that is then and this is now and I'm sure happy I did it!
 
Checking in...just got back from a week in Jamaica! I am so happy to see how well you are doing! You go girl!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom