Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hipster Girl

I find it so strange that I can so easily reach my toes! Lol!

I can't imagine having to sleep flat on my back during the recovery. Now I know why so many on here have found there recliners much more comfortable thank their beds!

The apron has really been a godsend! I even tried putting my cat in one of the pockets, but he was just a bit too big...:heehee:

Thanks for your well wishes!
 
I've been catching up on your journey and see you've been through quite a bit! Congratulations on your first new hip! Sounds like you are way ahead of the game...I'm amazed that you can put your socks on!!:yay: I love your walker too. Mine is fashioned with a basket on one side and a bike basket in the front. I use the bike basket to move things around the kitchen from one counter to another and getting things out of the refrigerator. Must feel great to be half way there with one more hip to go!:)
 
@DeepBreath and @Nana757

I've never seen such ugly bruises than the ones on my hands and arms! I'm baffled why I have had absolutely not one ounce of bruising on my leg/hip.

I told hubby I may not want to leave my nest when all is said and done. This is the closest image I could find to describe his expression....:yikes:
 
Day 7

Hmmm...ummm...well, not much news today except for last nights sleeplessness.

I've been telling you all how excited I've been about sleeping so well and BAM, I laid awake until 4:00 a.m. this morning! I was so confused, trying to figure out what the deal was. Then it hit me, I had forgotten to take my sleeping cocktail that has worked for me for several years now (Low dose Xanax and Trazadone at bedtime)! I immediately proceeded to take it and was fast asleep within about 15 minutes and slept until 9:30.

I'm feeling really good (no pain, less aces and a little stronger), but am still kind of lost on how much walking I should be doing. Would love to hear from those of you who could possibly shed some light on what worked for you at the end of one week?

Thanks guys! :loveshwr:
 
At the end of one week, I was walking, with a walker, to and from the bathroom and the bedroom and the dining room. That's it. Mostly I was sitting down. My sleeping was done sitting, so I was sitting in bed almost all the time.
 
@Krista and @pumpkin

Thanks Krista, that's pretty much what I've been doing. I feel if I weren't so tired, I could walk a mile, but of course I won't. :heehee:

Thanks for the articles Pumpkin! I'm so sure the BS way is the way to go, but I've been to sleepy today to start trying to find the great articles here. Thanks again! :loveshwr:
 
Wow. I haven't been on here for awhile and missed your big day. So sorry to hear of your setback. That must have been a big shock to think you're leaving and then fund out about the infection. So glad that was a quick recovery and you were able to go home. It sounds like you are doing great. I hear anterior is easier because of less restrictions. I wasnt sure how much I should have been doing the first few weeks either. I just did very little other than short walks around the house the first 2 weeks with first surgery but with second was up doing more after one week. Your body will guide you on what you should be doing. I started out patient PT at 2 weeks after both. It was much easier to get moving with both hips done but it still took awhile to get over the limping. I don't even think about now. My only complaint is I still have a lot of stiffness and trouble getting up after sitting for more than an hour. So happy you surgery is over. Only better days and less pain ahead.
 
@Doodles51

Gosh it's good to hear your doing so well! The time flies by, doesn't it? If you look at this journey as the "marathon" that we've learned here on BS, it makes the journey much more bearable. I'm definitely NOT going to push myself, as I've seen how damaging it can be to a quick recovery. You are right, I'm able to tie my shoes, bend over and pick items up off of the floor, etc. because I had the anterior approach. From what I understand, there are pros and cons to both approaches. :-)
 
@Cynthia777 Girl, you are doing fantastic! Touching your toes.. WeeHoo! I had the posterior approach so none of that fun stuff for me - at least for a bit!
Had my staples out today (12 days) and like you, still no bruising:)
Although I have been mainly keeping myself to the upstairs, I have gotten up to about 5500 (app on my phone) walking steps and it feels great! I have had to PT sessions last week w just some conservative strengthening moves, which really seem to assist w the walking. I be practiced w the cane some & will be working on that PLUS the recumbent bike at PT tomorrow. It IS a fine line between being ambulatory & respecting to need to rest & elevate, but for me, the two are becoming complimentary!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@TerryCloth

Holy moly! 5500 steps is fantastic!!!! Man, I've got a lot of catching up to do my dear! I'm going to have hubs get me a pedometer, or I'm afraid I'll goof off too much. I think I made me lady lair just a tad bit too comfortable...oops! :alarm: You're recovery has been spot on and I'm so happy for you!!!

I've knocked the Oxy down to two 10-325's a day. I really could stop them completely, as I have only minute pain, but I figure it's best to wean off of them slowly. I turned down the anti-inflammatory because I think @Josephine mentioned something about they may not be the best thing to take with uncemented hips. Did I read that somewhere here Josephine, or was I hallucinating?
 
Hi @Cynthia777
About the amount of walking: The thing to do, as our forum administrators like Josephine and all the others always say is, of course, to listen to your body - or - what I call trial and error. So if your legs feel tired after a walk, just rest and do no walking for a day and just ice/elevate/take pain meds as required, and when you've well recovered from that walk, try for another one. Your body will tell you what the right amount of walking (or other exercise) is.

After 1 week, I was able to walk with relative ease and painlessly up and down the corridors of the facility where I had my rehab and to the cafe at the rehab with my husband. I also managed short distances in the open air like walking around the building. Maybe you can walk with your husband or a friend. My hubby and me found walking together so much fun in the last spring when everything was in blossom and he was very pleased that I could walk again. So - with other people - you can share the fun and that's makes walking easier. Did you not say your husband was going to by you a "pace meter" - that's sounds good.
 
My legs feel very, very tired (not painful at all). Since I haven't had a PT assessment as of yet, I'm a little lost on how much walking I should be doing each day. Any idea?
The activity progression article Pumpkin left for you earlier should give you a guide. I started very slowly - go less than half the distance you think you can go. Some people measure their walks by how many houses they walk past. Then build up very gradually and don't push.
I turned down the anti-inflammatory because I think Josephine mentioned something about they may not be the best thing to take with uncemented hips.
I think Jo said this earlier however I left the hospital post both THRs only on NSAIDs. Both my hips were uncemented.
 
@Cynthia777 quick question. Do you have the nerve burning on the thigh (it happens with the anterior approach)? My mom's was pretty pronounced for a while. Just curious if that is everyone's experience.
 
Good morning Cindy!! It's been quite a few months since I've been on Bone Smart or posted. I am so glad to be able to read your recovery thread and so overwelmed with joy at how well you are doing! Amazing how fast the days fly by. Your an inspiration to a lot of people!
 
Hi @Cynthia777 Just speaking from my own experience I did short walks as often as I could muster the energy. This amounted to just a few minutes every hour or so during the day. I think it is important to be gentle with yourself in these first few weeks but still have small goals to accomplish daily.
 
@Cynthia777, I am so glad you are enjoying your Lady Lair. It sounds like you have appointed it perfectly and that work has paid off. Being comfortable during recovery is a fabulous thing. Rest is a healing thing. I know I was (and am) so grateful for my adjustable bed. I still can't sleep on my sides, so being able to get the bed just so is a wonderful thing for me. :)
 
@Toddlermom

No, fortunately I have no burning or numbness at all. The first few days the area around the incision was as numb as can be, but now at day 8, all feeling has returned. The only issue I have (and it's only happened twice) is a slight burning in my heels in the middle of the night. I place a pillow under my calves, lifting my heels off of the bed and the bunting goes bye bye.
Btw...Are you hanging in there? I know you're going to do great. I haven't read your thread yet, but will be catching up on it here in a few minutes. Prayers and hugs my friend! :-)
 
@Elaine F.

Your kind words mean a lot to me! So many members have been and continue to be an inspiration for me and I'm going to "pay it forward" here for a very long time. Without the encouragement and help I have received from the moderators and the members, this would have been a VERY lonely and frightening journey!!!!!
So good to see you back on BS! I know you're doing so well, since we keep in touch through Facebook. I'm so happy for you. :cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom