Guest viewing is limited

THR FINALLY!!! Cynthia777's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update...

What I thought was a bruise, is actually a reaction to the tape that was used in the hospital. So I'm happy to say, I have had no bruising whatsoever (and I bruise fairly easily)! However, every place they put an IV in has terrible bruising....go figure. :-)
 
Ha ha... it's the thigh, not the hip (or at least what I would have called hips before all the surgery stuff).
I still have a hard time calling the hip joint the hip. For years, hips was where you put your hands, as in "hands on your hips". That's a hard description to correct.
 
Funny how those IV bruises go away sooner than the 'sore' feeling they leave. Even after 5 weeks, I can feel them on the top of my hand sometimes.
@cynthia 777 - How are you feeling a week or so out now?
 
The nurses always know who the best doctors are. I imagined it to be so much worse than my experience was, too. No comparison...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777 I just blamed my mother for the hospital bed to all medical professionals, lol!!! I am such a wimp. She has planned on renting it, and since she has two joints under her belt....I am not arguing with her---:eyebrows:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
As far as the "gear people"....I actually feel much of the purchasing and preparations I did
pre-op, were for the emotional benefits I received and it helped me get through the dreaded pre-op anxiety by keeping my mind busy.
On top of that, our mattress wasn't in the best of shape (we're getting ready to purchase a new mattress once I'm able to go test them out). Also knowing I needed to go through the recovery twice, I figured the $200 I spent on the bed, the $79 for the new mattress and the $95 for the memory foam topper were well worth the investment (especially since I will resell the bed and recoup my $200 once this is all said and done). :)

EDITED: oh, I forgot to mention I already had two jacuzzis (one in the master bath and one next to our pool)! :heehee:
 
He said he will make them even when he replaces my other hip. Does this sound normal to you?
Well I don't know if it's "normal" but that is exactly what happened to me. They had to angle the implant on my left side just a bit as I also had a collapse. Surgeon who did my RTHR evened things out for me.

In terms of PT - walk, walk and more walking! All that stuff they give you (clam shells, plank) really doesn't do all that much. You will need to build up strength in both legs but if it were me I would wait until after your second op. You don't want to aggravate the hip in waiting.
 
Hi @Cynthia777 I'm a couple days behind catching up on your thread and am amazed you can put your socks on by yourself already - that is awesome! I can't do that yet and I am a few months out so I'm going to need some outpatient PT to get me where I need to be.

I think your hospital bed was a very wise investment. I don't have a hospital bed per se but I bought an adjustable frame before surgery and it has been a lifesaver and makes it so easy to elevate at the push of a button, and even adjusting your head up or down ever so slightly makes a big difference when we are forced to sleep on our backs during recovery. It's hard to sleep in the same position all the time so the adjustable bed helps with that.

That is an ingenious idea to put the apron on the walker - you should patent that. :snork: I had tied one of those thin fabric shopping bags to mine but since there was only one big pocket, everything got jumbled together and I was having to rummage around in it to find what I needed. Having three pockets in the apron would be a big help, as would wearing the apron like @Hip Hip Hooray! mentioned - I wish I had thought of that when I was on my walker - that is a great idea!

Several of us have had the leg length differential and it was fixed when we had our second surgery so I have no doubt yours will too. I am so impressed with how remarkably well you are doing! So very happy for you! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Cynthia777 , I've been following your pre-op and post-op threads with great interest and am so pleased your recovery is such a success. Keep up the good work. I like your great sense of humour and the way you give all the bonesmart family your support.

As far as your early "post-op" posts (hihihi) are concerned, I don't think they are muddled up at all. You sound more coherent than me at many times when I'm not post-op and recovering :). And I could probably do with an apron or similar, so that I can leave my hubby at home and don't constantly have to ask him to find my keys, smart-phone, USB stick etc. etc.

And it's great you were always able to sit Indian style. That's what I was told to do as a child. It's a very healthy way of sitting. Unfortunately, I could not do it the years before the op since my left leg was so stiff. So this is another benefit of the operation - I can do it with ease.
Anyway - enjoy your new hip
Best wishes from Constanze
 
Good morning @Cynthia777 !! This is Day 7 for you.. you sound super duper marvelously well!!

I think you will agree with me when I say that my recovery period will always be remembered as a special time in my life.
1) it gave me my life back and can walk and keep up when we go shopping or some other fun excursion..
2) less pain instantly than what I had pre op ( so amazing, huh!?)
3) the loving support of family and friends AND Bonesmarties from all over the world...

So happy for you,, so so so happy! When will you return to see your OS? I think you mentioned it but of course I forgot already.. :heehee:

So happy to hear that the other hip is behaving for now. I was very worried about that for you. My other hip was hurting and catching a bit immediately post op and into the first 2 months but now it is feeling stronger and healthier again, maybe I will get a few years before walking the surgery walk again.

So-HAPPY!!!!! for you! so, so, so happy!! You were one of the first to greet me on here when I stumbled onto this site.. I was worried, in pain, and scared. You were instrumental in getting me to laugh a bit about it AND helped me pad my "lady lair." Hubby still tells people how I had made it so user friendly and easy for both myself and for him! I give you full credit for that!!

hugs and more hugs, Cindy! So happy for you! Ok now I am repeating myself..

:loveshwr:
 
Cindy you're so kind. And what's more a huge inspiration to me. :loveshwr:I've thought of a few questions and know you'll shoot from the hip (ha ha :eyebrows:) with your responses, but will delay for now so you can concentrate on your recovery now. I really look forward to your updates. Have a lovely day! :roseshwr:
 
because my femoral head had fully collapsed, it also collapsed the cartilage at the same time.
Well, that's rather like saying that because the tyre had gone flat, the rubber had gone flat too! A very weird comment to make!
He said he will make them even when he replaces my other hip. Does this sound normal to you?
Yes, that's what usually happens. It's easier to adjust leg lengths with the second hip.
 
@Cynthia777, your recovery is just fantastic and I am so very glad that the surgery experience wasn't as bad as you had feared it would be. I know that was a relief for me as well. I had cooked up a ton of worries that happily turned out to be non-issues. :)
Oh my goodness, the IV bruises! They really are something, aren't they? I looked like I had gone a few rounds in the ring by the time I left the hospital and the bruises got a lot more ugly before they went away.

I hope that today is another wonderful one for you and that you're enjoying your Lady Lair. :flwrysmile:
 
@Cynthia777
Kudos to you for being so well prepared for your recovery! I have no doubt, it has made life so much easier for you and your loving hubby and daughter. From one gear person to another, I totally agree that getting one's recovery area all lined up with what could be essential at any given time is very therapeutic. Granted, there were a couple of things I never used, but 98% of what I purchased came in very handy on a daily basis and the cost was far less than I had anticipated. And, like you said, as each item was delivered and placed where it would be handiest and best used kept me busy and took the looming surgery off my mind. I actually enjoyed setting up my spare room as my nest, with a few of my favorite things. I still find myself going in there for some "me" time, on occasion.
It's funny...I am one who bruises easily too and was astonished that my hip and leg never bruised. But, man, my hand looked like someone took a hammer to it.
Keep on keeping on with your amazing recovery!
:flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia777 it is motivating to read your account of surgery and now recovery. I've been so pleased with my recovery so far but now I realize it could be better. I'm a bit "older" than many on BS but I've always been very active and extremely healthy but still find I'm worn out many days and I've just completed 5 weeks PO.

My glue was slowly coming off on its own but all came of when I started massaging with vitamin E oil a couple of weeks ago.

No bruising! Girl, they must have been so gentle with you during that surgery. I had anterior too and the back of my thigh and around my knee was mean looking, black, blue, yellow & green. I still have some swelling and pain in that area.

I've got the other hip coming up - probably in another month or so and I'm experiencing some pain now in the still bad hip when I walk in the neighborhood so I'm not doing as much as I should because when the left hip starts aching I think I am starting to abuse the still healing right hip. Just another reason I can't put off the second surgery for very long. Like you, my op leg also feels just a bit longer than the other. I haven't talked with my OS since I've come home and started wearing shoes and walking all over. I see him next week and I'm anxious to ask if I too have a longer leg on one side. If I do, I hope he will be able to adjust the other one to match. I've always wanted to be taller. Maybe now I will be. :yes!:

I'll have to learn from your first recovery to use on my second recovery. I have 2 or 3 good days in a row and then I have a day where I just stay on the couch under a throw and do absolutely nothing all day. I had hopes of being able to do so much more by 5 weeks out, but with left hip needing replacement soon, I'm not pushing right now. Keep up the great posts! --julie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaycey

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I kind of felt just getting my strength back will be of utmost importance before my 2nd THR.

@Josephine or @Jaycey
My legs feel very, very tired (not painful at all). Since I haven't had a PT assessment as of yet, I'm a little lost on how much walking I should be doing each day. Any idea?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
>>I'm a little lost on how much walking I should be doing each day. Any idea?<<

I'm curious to hear the answer to this also.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom