THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
GrahamDee said, " Unfortuntly, the weather here is terrible at the moment and I wouldn't want my new hip to rust in the rain :heehee:

[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
A little humor creeping in---that's good Graham, I like it, gave me a chuckle.


I hope the steroid cream and sleeping meds will allow you a good nights sleep
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
you deserve a break at this point---it'll just about make you a new man!

Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
Hiya Graham.

It seems like you are doing really well in the hip department which is great news, sorry to hear about your sore legs, hope the steroid cream brings you some much needed relief :)

I wouldn't be worrying about getting rid of one of your crutches just yet, you are very early out a and especially if you can't balance properly with only one, it took me quite a few weeks once I could start full weight bearing before I felt steady enough to go to one crutch.

Hope you manage to get a good nights sleep tonight, you're right, you will feel much better after a good rest

Take care

Ann
 
Graham,
What an awful bout you are having with your legs! I can see how this must just make you feel insane with the itching and must be so bad if you are getting sores. That was clever to think of the cold water.
HOPEFULLY the steroids will do the trick and you will sleep tonight. I can hear how desperate you are for sleep and understandably so!
Wow, glad to hear you are painfree in the hip. Good thinking about the rust-factor in the rain! hee hee- You must be even more fun when you sleep and as you say are "Full of beans"!
Warm wishes,
Elle
 
Graham,
What an awful bout you are having with your legs! I can see how this must just make you feel insane with the itching and must be so bad if you are getting sores. That was clever to think of the cold water.
HOPEFULLY the steroids will do the trick and you will sleep tonight. I can hear how desperate you are for sleep and understandably so!
Wow, glad to hear you are painfree in the hip. Good thinking about the rust-factor in the rain! hee hee- You must be even more fun when you sleep and as you say are "Full of beans"!
Warm wishes,
Elle


Thanks Elle11...you're not going to believe this. The cream helped a little, but I'm still itching and the cold packs were out again. The sleeping pills don't work. I actually got to bed at 4:30am and up again at 6:15am. I don't know what it is, but I seem to be resistant to them. My eyes feel like lead, but nothing happens beyond that. Even the pills I was given in hospital were less than useless. To be honest, I do have some things playing on my mind at the moment which isn't helping and I'm reliving the events of three weeks ago. I'm going to try and get a few hours this afternoon if i can.
 
Hi Graham,

Oh, gosh, things do not sound good sleep and itch wise. Ok, lets hope the steroids kick in a bit better.

YOu know, the mind is like a monkey and will start torturing us (especially when we want to sleep!) with all sorts of thoughts from actual problems to silly things. I find the best thing to do is to first stop freaking out that I am not sleeping, Yes, easier said then done. But here are some strategies that have helped somewhat:

1. Warm milk with a mashed banana and cardomon
2. Repeating over and over in my head a mantra I like. (I use SA TA NA MA from my yoga tradition, but you can use anything you like; the trick is to bring yourself back to the words everytime your mind starts to do its own thing...and it always does!)
3. Get comfy as you can and start listening to your breath. Just follow it. You can even try to lull yourself to sleep by saying "Inhale, sleepy,exhale sleepy". Again, keep bringin gyour mind back every time it wanders.
4.Does the telly make you nod off? I find the droning can put me to sleep. My mum listened to the radio and it did the same. Or some soft music.

Your nap strategy is excellent.

Good luck, Graham. I really feel for you.

Your store is still out of gel packs????!!!
 
Hang in there, Graham.... you have described what many of us went through. I, also had the "blues" much less the physical symptoms you have described (shakes, low BP, nausea - HUGE - like Linda Blair in Exorcist, nasty nurses/hospital experience, transfusions, itchiness due to not being able to handle anesthesia and pain meds...). I was so NAIVE about how huge of a surgery this is. And, obviously, they send you home a lot earlier in the UK than in the US? (or maybe it was just my situation?)

I hope your sentiment is not still to "rip it out of me."

Have you heard from your OS and/or Nurse or PT?

Healing thoughts being sent your way.
 
Hi Graham,

Oh, gosh, things do not sound good sleep and itch wise. Ok, lets hope the steroids kick in a bit better.

YOu know, the mind is like a monkey and will start torturing us (especially when we want to sleep!) with all sorts of thoughts from actual problems to silly things. I find the best thing to do is to first stop very out that I am not sleeping, Yes, easier said then done. But here are some strategies that have helped somewhat:

1. Warm milk with a mashed banana and cardomon
2. Repeating over and over in my head a mantra I like. (I use SA TA NA MA from my yoga tradition, but you can use anything you like; the trick is to bring yourself back to the words everytime your mind starts to do its own thing...and it always does!)
3. Get comfy as you can and start listening to your breath. Just follow it. You can even try to lull yourself to sleep by saying "Inhale, sleepy,exhale sleepy". Again, keep bringin gyour mind back every time it wanders.
4.Does the telly make you nod off? I find the droning can put me to sleep. My mum listened to the radio and it did the same. Or some soft music.

Your nap strategy is excellent.

Good luck, Graham. I really feel for you.

Your store is still out of gel packs????!!!


Thanks for that Elle11. I fell asleep for an hour before someone decided to ring my phone!! Now I'm wide awake again :yawn:
I do have some ambient noise soundtracks on my Ipod which sometimes work, but usually I have the TV on really low which is usually enough to start a nap. I guess I just need to be in a rested state of mind first.
 
Hang in there, Graham.... you have described what many of us went through. I, also had the "blues" much less the physical symptoms you have described (shakes, low BP, nausea - HUGE - like Linda Blair in Exorcist, nasty nurses/hospital experience, transfusions, itchiness due to not being able to handle anesthesia and pain meds...). I was so NAIVE about how huge of a surgery this is. And, obviously, they send you home a lot earlier in the UK than in the US? (or maybe it was just my situation?)

I hope your sentiment is not still to "rip it out of me."

Have you heard from your OS and/or Nurse or PT?

Healing thoughts being sent your way.

Thanks adaflorida. I was supposed to be sent home on Day 3 on this 'accelerated discharge' programme they have going, but decided to keep me in until Day 5. I guess I don't feel the same way about my hip as I did then, I'm virtually on one crutch after three weeks and I can just manage to walk around a room unaided - although I'm still a bit wobbly. I am seeing my surgeon in August and started my weekly physiotherapy last Friday.
 
Sleep is still an issue for me if it makes you feel any better. I don't get it... I'm sure JO does. :)

For me, I have to turn off the tv and any stimuli, or else my mind races.

Sounds like you are doing just GREAT. Keep at it... further rewards to come!
 
Hi Graham, sound like you are right on track. The sleep issue is a big thing for every new hippie. If you have things on your mind on top of it that's a major challenge. Do nap as much as you can during the day.

Please don't push the getting rid of the crutch until you are absolutely feeling confident while walking. You don't want to get into the habit of limping again. Early days still. I used a crutch until about the 5 week mark. When you start leaving it behind you know it's time to transition.
 
Graham I agree with the ladies above. You've got enough on your plate with the legs and not sleeping to try and walk unaided right now. Lurching and limping are not good for you, balance and even gait are. There are no hurries here.
 
Graham I gave up on the sleep thing in the early weeks and did not stress about it! I slept during the day and made sure I had a good book to hand when I could not sleep either for pain or for the sleeping on my back! I was only given paracetamol when leaving the hospital and in the end had to sort out my night meds and use the meds given to me before surgery to help ( Tramadol) Was actively encouraged to leave off all painkillers week three:yikes: which I did and have not touched one since...... onwards and upwards!

Week 14 am in a totally different place and can do all sorts of things, including lying on my tummy etc and at this point am so active do not know I have had a hip replacement!

Want to encourage you to be positive and go for it.... look to the future and what you will be able to do, not what cannot do at this moment in time...... look at me!!! You CAN get there!!!!
 
Day 28....

So far so good, but it's slow.

I gave my hip its first workout the other day. I stood for nearly an hour in a crowd to watch the Olympic torch go past and bag a few pictures. I'ts not easy framing a shot in one hand with a large camera and balancing on a crutch with the other. I did have someone with me in case I went over or my low blood pressure got the better of me. But apart from a stiffness, I came out pretty well - which was something I could have never done in preop, I would have been bent over in bone-grinding agony. The low BP issue has cleared itself up, which has helped my stamina. I still can't say if I have leg differential or not, I'm still walking badly to tell. If there is some, its very small.

Finished the last of my Heprin injections today, just need to get rid of the sharps bin on Friday. One of the surprising things about this, the daily self-injecting is one of the better aspects of this whole process. Being a one-time needle phobe and having trained myself to do something which I considered unthinkable not so long ago. I actually feel I've achieved something in this (Stupid, I know). I even took a load of pics of me doing it. (sad or what :))?

The pain has bottomed out except for a general ache around the scar. I'm still on two crutches when I go outside, but I use one indoors and I can almost hobble about unaided (I look like an Orangutan when I do). Itching and the rashes have all but gone. But the sleepless nights continue. My GP has given me a course of Zopiclone sleeping tablets, which make me nod off an hour after taking them, but when my hip aches and stiffens at 2:00am, I'm awake and bright as a button as if I'd never had one. I would like something stronger, but I don't want to end up dependant and addicted. For some reason, I have somehow lost the urge to nap during the day. I try the best, but I find I just can't relax. So I spend my day in an unfocussed sleep-deprived day, watching dvd's and the like.

Physiotherapy isn't going too well, I just seem to be behind others at my level. I'm getting the exercises, but I have an all round aching stiffness on the wound and around the groin area. Its getting better all the time, but it's slow.

I just can't believe there the days have gone. Its seems an age away where I had to confront my nightmares (That is never going to go away with me), but at least I'm past it.

The saga continues....
 
Yeah! There you are Graham!! I was thinking about you today and wondering how you have been doing, as I didn't see you post recently. So glad you have an update. You are so FUNNY!!! I love your humor!

Wow, look at you, out about about with crazy Olympic happenings! Good for you! Isn't it wonderful what you can do with your new hip?? And good your blood pressure seems to be stabalizing. Yeah, the rashes are gone!

You know the Heprin injections IS a big deal. Fear is fear and many people can't deal with needles. You have effectively faced one of your fears and conquered it! That is amazing! That is ice cream celebration amazing! The great thing is, if you have the courage to face one fear, you have the courage to face other fears as well.

Sorry sleep continues to elusive. I have a very similar reaction to any sleeping meds: nod off quite well and then wide awake in the middle of the night. I don;t have any good solutions, except hang in there. Intersting you no longer want to nap.

Well, I am about a week ahead of you in the process and sad to report, also watching too many DVDs. Maybe that is all part of the healing process, too.

Really happy for the graet update and here's to your continued recovery! Now I think I am goign to go have some ice cream to celebrate your good news!!!

Warmest,
Elle
 
P.S. Remember, don't compare yourself to others in your therapy group. You are who you are. Yes, it is slow and it certainly is taking longer than many of us anticipated, but we will get there.. You just go at your own pace.
 
Wow Graham just started reading your thread. You've really been through the mill haven't you. But glad to see you are hanging on there.
My Day 2 in hospital was one of screaming pain and crying despite ever increasing levels of morphine so you have my sympathies - but I am now managing to wipe it from my brain cells.

I think your GP needs a big slapping - I came out of hospital with paracetemol, tramadol, naproxen, as well as blood thinners (got the pills rather tha injections luckily), and even a bottle of oral morphine just in case. My doctor happily gave me repeats of all the pills and said to just stick the repeat in if I wanted more - I don't do pain so could never have coped on what you had - no wonder you've been low.

My sleeping has been patchy and the last few nights I have been waking up about 4 with really stiff achy legs, so last night for the first time I took some of the Morphine and slept for 10 hours - bliss - feel so much better. Perhaps you need some stronger pills at night?

If all else fails my 5 year old grandson lives in Southsea and you could borrow him .... 2 hours with him and I guarantee complete exhaustion.

Hang on in there Graham x
 
To be honest, I do have some things playing on my mind at the moment which isn't helping ...

Hi Graham,

I often have this issue when I awake in the middle of the night too. A few years ago I developed this little technique to try to keep my mind from wandering about and keeping me up when I should be sleeping. I would only think about one very mundane task, for example, raking up leaves in a small area of the garden. I'd visualize that patch of yard, the leaves and myself doing the task until I fell back to sleep. No mental wandering into whatever pressing issues might be going on in my life... So, if you've got a really dull thing that you can keep your mind to when you wake in the night maybe you can also learn to fall back to sleep.

Also, I see that you mentioned that napping isn't happening during the day for you. I used to have a little self-imposed time that I'd go to my comfy bed and lie down for an hour or two and read quietly. Often times I would nod off and sometimes not. It felt good to be able to relax fully on the bed vs. sitting upright, walking or standing around. It was a quiet time, no tv or radio to activate my brain (movie time was a different time of day, after quiet resting time). :heehee:

Just wondering if you are taking anything for pain before your physio appointments or in general during the day/evening. Some of the achiness/stiffness that you mention may be related to post-op pain. There's an article in the library about pain management that might be helpful for you.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks for all the replies.

Just wondering if you are taking anything for pain before your physio appointments or in general during the day/evening. Some of the achiness/stiffness that you mention may be related to post-op pain. There's an article in the library about pain management that might be helpful for you.

Take care,
Cardie

I am taking paracetamol evening times, but I don't need anything during the day. I can't take anything with Codine as that will conflict with my sleeping tabs. I have a Tens machine which does help a lot, especially when I'm sat watching the telly.

I am trying some eye shades and soft ambient music to relax, but I just find it hard. Normally I would like to curl up with a book and read until my eyes droop. But back sleeping is very unnatural for me and I can't get comfortable no matter what I try.

As I said, I feel I am getting better, but it's slow and I feel I have a long way to go.

:)
 
I feel I am getting better

[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home... Gosh, Graham, this is 150% more positive than earlier posts and very, very good to hear. You're right, it will be slow and you still have a long way to go; but at least now you see that you can and will get there.

TIME & PATIENCE---TIME & PATIENCE---TIME & PATIENCE Dig down deep and find the PATIENCE to take the TIME to get through this recovery. YOU CAN DO IT! AND YOU WILL GET BETTER AND BETTER!

Take care--follow the BoneSmart mantra--keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
 
​
Physiotherapy isn't going too well, I just seem to be behind others at my level. I'm getting the exercises, but I have an all round aching stiffness on the wound and around the groin area. Its getting better all the time, but it's slow.​
​
​
​


That aching stiffness on the wound and around the groin area is pain. It's getting in the way of you making progress at physiotherapy. You could take two paracetemol an hour before therapy and see if that helps.

You certainly have come a long way since your initial posts when you wished you hadn't done this. Looking forward to continued progress reports.

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom