THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josephine; could you take a look at Graham's post #60, and comment on whether he could get better pain relief for sleeping and sitting.
 
I seem to have my pain under control, except when it comes to sleeping or sitting in my chair for prolonged periods. I am taking 2x Paracetamol three times a day and 1 Codine at nighttime as required. I also have a Tens machine which used to help preop and now I have no idea where to put the pads for it to work.
Well, since you are a mere 2 weeks out, you require more pain meds than that! What you have described is ongoing post-op pain. It's not at all uncommon for people to think that because the pre-op pain is resolved they don't have any but that's not so. You are still having pain - you just said so yourself - but it's manifesting in different ways. Read this Pain management and the pain chart

You should try taking what you have been prescribed which is probably 2 paracetamol and 30-60mg codeine 4 times a day. Perhaps try just 30 of codeine during the day and 60 at night. Try this for at least another 10-14 days and then start testing things without certain doses here and there and see how it goes.
 
Graham, can you speak to your GP or OS about pain meds? Paracetamol just post-op certainly isn't enough. I know the heavier pain killers can cause more side effects than you might want but something in between the two might get you better results and more sleep!
 
Graham, can you speak to your GP or OS about pain meds? Paracetamol just post-op certainly isn't enough. I know the heavier pain killers can cause more side effects than you might want but something in between the two might get you better results and more sleep!

I've just been to my local surgery to have my clips out (which really hurt!!), but the wound is clean and dry.
Whilst getting done, I was asked about I was asked about my sleep patterns (I don't have any) and general pain and discomfort it was suggested that I get some over-counter Cocodamil (sp?) which may be more effective than plain Paracetamol. My perscription Codine has just run out. The general attitude being "Oh dear, never mind", which is what I have been getting since I started this THR and obviously my feelings count for nothing in anything (especially at that hospital). As for seeing my GP, appointment list is backed up four weeks and unless its for anything urgent, I can't see anyone else.

This whole thing from the word 'go' would have been a thousand times easier for me if there were someone in the medical chain who was actually bothered about me and didn't regard me as a cheap inconvenient slab of meat.

:cry:
 
Graham - you can buy 8/500mg (8mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol) co-codamol over the counter but the normal prescription, at least what I've been getting, is 30/500mg which contains 30mg codeine. I've just got another 60 tablets today as I don't yet feel I can do without it. I don't think the over the counter one will be strong enough. To be honest I'd say your need to see a GP IS urgent - so why not make an appt to see someone else and insist on being prescribed something stronger.
 
<I had to get another grabber to have on hand when I dropped the other grabber>

Oh thank you. Someone else who had to do this.
And have you ever, in a drug induced stupor, picked up the remote control and tried to dial a friend?
 
Merry--that's funny! I haven't done that, but I have stood up and then realized I had no idea what I got up for! Funny how the brain just stalls out.

Graham, I'm about the same time out from surgery and I'm taking 10 mg oxycodone ranging from every 3-5 hours, depending on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling. I could not survive on what you are taking. I would be one hurting puppy.

I just had a follow up appointment yesterday and told them I only had a few pills left from the script I was given when I left the hospital. I was given another prescription for 90 5 mg pills, and I didn't get any resistance to that at all. They seemed much more concerned about my increasing my activity (sensibly, of course) than taking too much pain medication at this point. Most surgeons know that you need proper medication to be able to do things to strengthen your body. Of course you don't want to overdo your activity, but you have to be comfortable to be able to do even the routine rehab/recovery exercises and walks that are very important for the next few weeks.

I feel like I'm past the "I feel like ****" point and am ready for more. I'm a big believer in listening to my body and doing what feels right to me. I'm ready to "rock and roll" ... which for me just means more walks and upping my excercises a little. This is the part of my last hip recovery I really liked--feeling my hip and body get stronger and being able to do things one day that I wasn't able to do just a couple of days before that. But, again, you have to be properly medicated because the hip has taken quite a beating with the surgery.

Good luck

Dorothy
 
And have you ever, in a drug induced stupor, picked up the remote control and tried to dial a friend?

Of course! And tripped myself up by kicking my own crutch. Ya gotta laugh!

Graham - you have just had major surgery. Call you GP and remind them this is urgent! Don't take no for an answer. Suggest the GP calls you if needed. Or ask to speak to the Practice Manager. Yours is not a normal request!
 
Day 18...

Today I feel I have crossed a line. For the first time, I am now in less pain than I was Preop, so I guess I am only now starting to appreciate this new hip of mine. Its taken a long time to get to this point and started to think I had made a serious mistake in getting this done. But today, I feel I'm getting better. I don't really have any pain at all, just a minor discomfort all well within reach of my cocodamil (sp?). Its all just a little stiff. I have had my clips out (ouch!) and dressing off and my wound feels like a peeled banana.

However, all is not quite rosey. My sleep patterns are as bad as ever. I have abandoned my TEDS becasue they were causing serious itching and my legs are covered in sores where I have been forced to scratch. Many a night I end up washing them down in cold water just to calm them down. It's driving me insane. In the meantime, I'm experimenting with various lotions and creams to keep them down. If I could sort this, I may be able to get some longer sleep.

On the good side, my walking has increased to several hundred yards, I'm now walking more upright (tended to lean forward) and I'm having some success with using one crutch instead of two, although I still need two to navigate stairs, just so I feel safe. I still get exhusted quickly and need to rest, but I guess this may be expected.

I have tried to see the doctor and I'm going to try again tomorrow. I decided to see what happens with my pain levels which have been decreasing each day. As i said, I'm not really in any. But I am concerned about my itches and I have an old problem starting to resurface which could get in the way.
 
Oh Graham,

A lot of positives in your post today! I am so happy that you are starting to have less pain than pre-op. YEAH!!!

Great you got your clips out! Those clippy things that seem to be the rage in the UK sound ouchy! Must be the influence of all those exotic piercings I've seen in London! Did your doctor tell you you could put ointment on it yet? It feels worse if it is drying out and not moisturizd.

Yes, the exhaustion is normal, especially with your lack of sleep.

Take gentle care and hope you continue to feel better.

Elle
 
Hi Graham

Great update, so pleased for you :)

It is not wise to put creams or ointments on your incision line unless you have been given absolute permission to do so. This is to be sure that the incision is fully closed over. Ask your GP when you see him to inspect the incision and give you the go ahead on that one.

With regard to your itchy legs, if you can get hold of an organic antiseptic Hand and Body lotion containing 5% Tea Tree oil which is recognized internationally by professional aestheticians as one of of the best products for treatment and prevention of dry itchy skin you may find this beneficial. It will penetrate the skin and also provide the known benefits of tea tree. There is nothing worse than itchy skin and then wanting to scratch - google 'the antiseptic and anti microbial benefits of tea tree'. Once you have been approved to massage a lotion into your incision, TT is a very good one for this. Massage gently with little round circles, is helps with the scar tissue or cross linkage of the collagen that started to form within hours of your surgery.

Another good lotion if you can get hold of it is a pure coconut oil.. This also has antiseptic and anti microbial benefits.

I suffered like you particularly at night when I started to get warm under the bed clothes and got hubby to massage my legs with the TT lotion. - itches gone!

Also make sure you are keeping well hydrated. It is quite common after surgery when all the drugs start to come out for the skin to get dehydrated. The skin is the largest organ in the body and is usually the final area for toxins to be released through. Good luck :)
 
Hi Graham, I think you are doing very well at day 18. :) It's good to hear that you're feeling better about your new hip and that your pain is beginning to subside. :yay: At week 11 sleeping is still an issue for me. It's a good day if I can get in a straight 4 hours without waking up. Part of that is my bed (natural fibers, very hot) and part is learning how to sleep in new positions. Now reading over your thread I think I didn't have enough medication to make me comfortable to sleep once I passed that first 3 weeks, so don't be shy at your GP, ask for what you need to sleep and for the itching :yikes:. No wonder sleeping is elusive! Continued best wishes for your recovery! :ok:
 
Hi everyone, Graham...
I am new to the forum but had my second THR a week or so before you Graham on June 8th. I have been following your postings and although I seem to have had a much better experience in both cases, I do recognize all the anxieties, feelings, and frustrations that you have talked about either during my first time round (on my 45th birthday - May 14th 2010) or during my current recovery. It is great to know that there are so many people out there offering such sound and supportive advice. I would say listen to it all. The main thing I have learnt over the last 2 years is to be positive. What ever happens now can never be as bad as the pain you had before, and as along as you keep your sense of humour ( lets face it , some of the positions you have to manoeuvre yourself in and out of are worth a giggle) especially considering the equipment we have to manage with, and your sense of perspective, you will get through this! It will take some adjustments OK but it sounds like you are already up and about and "raring to go" and that makes all the difference, so well done.
Regards
Helen
Osteoarthritis sufferer
LTHR May 14 2010
RTHR June 8 2012
 
Hi Helen

Welcome to the BoneSmart family great to have you come join :)

Perhaps you might like to start a thread of your own and then we can. All come chat with you :)

Sounds like you are doing very well with a positive outlook, it does help doesn't it Snid47UK;

Once again glad you have joined us :)
 
Hey Graham, nice to see you posting again. I think once you have had those TEDs off for a bit things will calm down. Everyone gets a bit crazy wearing them.

Fingers crossed you can get into your GP. Please keep us updated!
 
Graham, I'm glad to hear that you are making progress in recovery. You're experiencing things that most people go through to some degree or another. It's especially gratifying to hear that your pain levels are more manageable. The sleeplessness is normal and it's why we tell people they need to nap when and where they can for the first few months. Be sure you're taking your pain medication right before bedtime and, if you wake up in the night after about 4 hours, take it again. That can help.
 
Hi Helen

Welcome to the BoneSmart family great to have you come join :)

Perhaps you might like to start a thread of your own and then we can. All come chat with you :)

Sounds like you are doing very well with a positive outlook, it does help doesn't it Snid47UK;

Once again glad you have joined us :)

Hi Sandy - thanks for the welcome, I really am very new to all this ( how embarrassing! :blush: ) so not sure how to start new threads, or add to my profile etc. Still, I will have the time now to find out. I just wanted to say that I came on this site by sheer chance and I had no idea just how much the experience of these operations varies for everyone - although that should be obvious really. :tada: But reading through I realise am in good company and that is really reassuring. Have already started some of the additional exercises recommneded by some of the links... Brill! If I can think of something, I will try and set up a new thread.
Cheers
 
Hello, Snid47UK, and
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
. We are happy you have joined us. Please start your own thread in the hip replacement recovery forum. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself. You may simply copy and paste your first post into it, if you wish.
​
​
The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Once you have your own thread, you will be getting a lot of responses. ​
Looking forward to your first post in your thread.
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
​
 
Day 20...

Last night was a bad night. I have a regime of washing my legs every night, applying mosituriser or aloe vera lotion, or an antihistamine to try and stop my legs from itching. Yesterday, I had some problems at home and I had to do a lot of walking and bending over, so I put on my TED's for the day. Big mistake. I woke up at midnight and spent the next three and a half hours trying to claw the burning flesh from my bones. I even have to go to bed with a bucket of cold water an a flannel so I can damp them down and cool them for a bit of relief. I ended up covering them with ice packs to numb them, which worked to a point, but was awoken two hours later with yet more itching.

So I made an emergency appointment to the doctors and saw the duty locum who looked at my lacerated legs covered in reddened sores. I also explained my lack of sleep, which is making me permanently tired and exhusted, which is taking away all my energy to do anything. I got a prescription for some steriod cream for night time and a small box of sleeping pills to help me relax a bit. I know if I managed to get my full eight hours worth, I would wake up full of beans and be looking to go out somewhere for a walk around, excerise, a distraction to think about other things and a muffin/coffee. Unfortuntly, the weather here is terrible at the moment and I wouldn't want my new hip to rust in the rain :heehee:

Being sleep-deprived is making me feel down and lethargic. Hip-wise, I'm almost free from pain at rest. I can feel it, maybe a small ache at times. The wound area is sensitive and tingly where it brushes against my clothes, I guess that will go in time. Walking is not quite pain-free and I'm trying to wean myself onto one crutch, but it's still awkward and I need two just to maintain balance.
 
Oh Graham, your poor man being so tortured with your legs. I am so relieved for you that you so a caring locum.

The prescribed cream should do the trick (by the way good for you using aloe Vera).

I hope that maybe with the cream helping the itch with your legs and the sleeping pills giving you some sleep, it will break the cycle for you and get you into a normal sleeping pattern.

I can tell, you will be off walking as soon as those two things are sorted.

I wish you a good strong sleep tonight :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom