Guest viewing is limited

THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Graham....... have only just read your thread....... glad to hear you are getting out and about..... my first two weeks post op were hell one way or another and just cried most of the time and regretted having the surgery.....but look at me week twelve with my life back!!!! Positive mental attitude and a gungho approach to it all...... wishing you well and hope all okay with swelling........ my right knee has an odd lump on it post surgery ( it was my right hip which was replaced!) so think my doc needs to see it at some point!
 
Hello Graham....... have only just read your thread....... glad to hear you are getting out and about..... my first two weeks post op were hell one way or another and just cried most of the time and regretted having the surgery.....but look at me week twelve with my life back!!!! Positive mental attitude and a gungho approach to it all...... wishing you well and hope all okay with swelling........ my right knee has an odd lump on it post surgery ( it was my right hip which was replaced!) so think my doc needs to see it at some point!

Again, thanks to all who took time to reply.

After several hours and having to call the duty radiographer, doctor and various assistants, I had an ultrasound which confirmed the absence of any clots. If appears just to be an accumilation of fluids with the suggested elevation and ice to help minimise - not to mention the itchy TEDS which are starting toget on my nerves.

This has been a long and difficult journey which I've had for many years and continues to be so. I am going to honestly say that right now I have had no reason to believe I have done the right thing. I am physically and emotionally traumatised, tired, exhusted and drained in every way as a direct result of getting this done. The day after the operation I was told to get out of bed and get in a chair, which is usual practice. I never screamed and cried in so much pain and misery and the only thought in my head was to somehow get this thing out of me.

10 days post op, I have the firm belief that I have made the worst mistake this year in getting done. Yes, I am getting slowly better, I can walk a bit etc but I'm hundreds of times worse now than before. If its not the pain of standing, then its the nausea of low blood pressure which threatens to floor me if I stand on my feet too long.

At least with arthritis, I could cope with it. Being in constant sleepless itchy pain is something I can't cope with. This whole thing has been and continues to be an ongoing nightmare with no sign of getting better.

I'm just so fed up with it all....
 
Hi Graham, I am very pleased that you have been thoroughly checked out and everything is ok..

But I am so sad that have regret for having your THR, but when you look at the scheme of things so far, you are only 10 days post surgery that is so early in the healing process.

  • YOU will get rid of the TEDS
  • THEY will sort out your BP and nausea
  • YOU will be able to walk for longer periods and distances.. I was staggered that the other day, what was that 8 days or so post and you had a short walk along the water eating an ice cream... at that stage, I was still in hospital..

I am not dismissing your feelings for one little minute, I am over the other side of the world and don't know your full circumstances and can't sit and chew the fat over a cuppa and talk. But I do believe, give yourself time for these very early issues to be sorted out and the re assess your feelings... In any case it is a done deal now, no way you can go back the only way is forward.

Life is tough!
  • This surgery is complex!
  • We all have different expectations about our recovery!
  • We all have different goals in life... maybe now is the time for you to think about what your future goals are, and slowly work through the recovery milestones to achieve them... But time and patience is the key at such an early stage of recovery.. In fact time and patience is needed in life in general anyway...

I do love coming and chatting on your thread with you, I read so many other threads and see the same patterns and trends coming up time and time again, so I don't think you are any different to some of the other members... I have had fleeting thoughts of take this thing out of me... These thoughts are usually triggered by other variables of our own personal lives. I have even had the 'why me' thought occasionally, but that is the same for life in general isn't it..

Stay with us Graham, share your thoughts, like I said I love to 'cum a visiting' with you :) -

be kind to yourself :) you have a large international family of BoneSmarties who care and understand what you are feeling - normal my friend :)
 
First, I'm glad the blood clot was ruled out. Whew!

Second, though, I'm surprised you are feeling so negative about the results of your surgery. As I look at the reports of your progress, I think "Wow! He is doing great!" Mine was done 2 days after yours and it hasn't been an easy first week of recovery. More difficult than the last hip. I just figure "Oh well, so it's going to be a bit more of a struggle than I expected. I'll deal with it." You have been able to get out and go to your coffee shop and for a pretty significant walk on the beach--things I don't feel I could do now in my wildest dreams! I look at your recovery as pretty darn good and wish I could do some things you are doing. I'm not trying to minimize what you went through at the hospital, but what I read now sounds pretty good to me.

So far my only outing has been a trip back to the Dr's office to investigate some problems. I'm hoping to walk outside some tomorrow, but I've been pretty much in an exhausted, painful state since I arrived home ... *but I know this won't be forever*. I encourage you to try your best to see the positive in your life related to having this surgery. Know that recovery isn't going to last forever. You say you regret having the surgery--Have any medical professionals given you information that indicates that you are not going to have improved pain control and improved functioning after a normal recovery period? If not, then try to think of recovery as the temporary rocky path that will enable you to get to your new life. You are at the place where positive thinking can really help your recovery go more smoothly. The mind-body connection is very strong. I hope you can help yourself come to terms with this temporary bump in the road of life and instead, think of the future as a joyful, pain free place that's waiting for you--something to be celebrated.

Dorothy
 
Oh, Graham,
I can only echo what Sandy and Dorothy have so eloquently said in the last two posts and send you my warmest wishes for a less painful and frustrating recovery. Believe that it is goign to be better!
Elle
 
Early days yet Graham. Give your body and mind a break and try not to fight this whole thing. It's done and life goes on. I know it's hard to believe at this stage but things will get better. Ice, elevate and keep those meds regular. At 11 days out it's far too early to judge. Hang in there!
 
Gosh, Graham, you say yourself that you're getting better, do I can't help but wonder what you thought post-surgery recovery was going to be like. I sure hope you can start looking at the positive side of this surgery soon. We all have our blue days, and I sure hope you are just going thru that. It's hard to figure out what it's gonna take for you to reconcile yourself to your new hip. I'm so delighted to be without bone on bone pain, everything else just seems so trivial! We all have our ways of dealing, but it's important that you DO deal and don't trap yourself in a cycle of unrealistic expectations. Do keep coming back to us for reality checks!
 
If its not the pain of standing, then its the nausea of low blood pressure which threatens to floor me if I stand on my feet too long.

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the "other side" sorry you are feeling like you want to escape and go back to the pre-op side, it is a big change from the issues that came about from the arthritis before surgery. I hear you!!

I was wondering if you had your hematocrit & hemoglobin checked recently? Do you know if those levels were low when you got out of the hospital? Sometimes the "graying-out" feeling can happen if you are anemic. Due to the blood loss during surgery you can be anemic, or close to it, at discharge from the hospital. I took iron supplements at home and I also drank prune juice for both its iron content & help with the constipation that comes from the pain medications.

Since the reality is that you cannot have your old hip back.... try to take it one day at a time, go easy on yourself and ask that your family members help you out by indulging you in some favorite meals or treats, garnering some books from the library you'd like to look at, maybe it's time to view your favorite movie series (I did the Harry Potter series with one of my kids), take a quiet nap in the afternoons to help with the sleep interruptions -- feel free to write here in the forum for support as well.

Hope you'll be feeling a bit better very soon:)
Take care,
Cardie
 
Graham,

I'm so sorry your feeling so down, it's truly "normal" for you to feel blue. Please don't lose your spirit though, you will get through this difficult time. Many times patients in the beginning stages of recovery can feel like they made a huge mistake, but again that's normal because your feeling a totally differant type of pain "healing pain" even know it's a pain in the rear to feel worse then before the surgery the good news is you will start to feel better day by day.

I didn't notice while reading through your thread if you have help or not, if you don't maybe you can call on someone to give you a hand or just to come by to visit. It can really lift your spirits just to talk to friends and to us here on Bonesmart too!

Your not even two weeks out yet, but as time passes hopefully you will start to feel better emotionally and physically. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, rest and remember to put ice on your hip and around your hip, it helps a lot. I know you said you haven't been able to get much sleep, maybe you can find a comfortable lazy boy to relax in, and take the medication, they can help you sleep too. If you have to call your Doctor's office and ask them if you can take some kind of over the counter sleep aid. The lack of sleep can really drain you emotionally, and physically, and if you could at least get more then four hours of sleep at a time, you might feel a bit better emotionally, which will help you feel better physically. As long as there is nothing going on that isn't part of the healing process, I PROMISE YOU WILL GET BETTER, and you won't regret taking care of that old hip. Much peace to you, S.L.:friends:
 
Hi Graham,

I felt the same way as you are feeling now. I thought it was the biggest mistake of my life but, that changed. Hang in there Graham, a few more days into your recovery and things will be much better. :thumb:

Pat
 
Hi Graham,

I just wanted to say that I am saying a prayer for you and I hope that you feel better soon.


Again, I want to say thanks for all the support from everyone here.

I feel I must apologise - This whole thing has been an emotional rollercoaster for me which was started some time ago, and went into a tailspin when I walked into that hospital, and now I had the aftermath which is the pain, sleeplessness and everything else. Unfortunatly the whole experience has left me hurting and reeling from what happened and I'm still trying to come to terms with it all.

It seems things are slowly getting better. The pain is now a barely noticeable ache - more of a sensation, unless I lay/sit on the wound for any length of time, in which case it really hurts. I still can't sleep, although I managed 4 hours last night.

I think with me a lot of this stems from the fact I like to keep myself stimulated mentally. The physical pain and discomfort I can cope with to a point, as long as I have something I can apply my brain to - I do a lot of artwork and photography and all sorts of stuff like that. Problem is, I can't do any of my hobbies as I'm going around like a zombie due to constant lack of sleep. When I nap in the afternoon, I awake usually feeling a bit rough and the day is more-or-less gone. The days come and go and I don't even have the energy to watch TV for an hour. (My torture-rack of a chair doesn't help). If I stand on my feet for about 1/2 hour, I begin to feel faint. (the onset time before happens seems to be increasing)

I'm sure later I will grow to like my implant, but at this moment with my mobility, there is no change in my general discomfort since preop. But I'm still healing and hopefully this will change. Before discharge, I did have all my blood checked, and tested as all OK. Just to add to that, I was told the procedure was "textbook", no nerve damage or drop-foot and they reckon I will not have leg differential (I am not walking unaided to really prove if this is true or not). Even though the THR was a success (So I have been told), If I had to have another THR (Good side currently healthy BTW), I would rather let the local vet do it than go back to that chamber of horrors.

I haven't managed to do much in terms of out-and-about. The weather here is rotten, but I will be out for a bit of shopping tomorrow, having my clips out on Wednesday (ugh!) and maybe visit a relative on Thursday.

Again, thanks for all the support and apologies for letting my emotions get out of control. Things were just starting to get to me.
 
Aloha Graham. I hear you and understand. Yesterday I had an inexplicable urge to cry all day. Not pain or anything. Just a rough night of poor sleep and the frustration of being able to do so little. I keep dropping things and of course my grabber would be forgotten in another room. Stuff like that. I wish you had a more comfortable chair. I bought an electric recliner before surgery and it is my cocoon of comfort.

Nancy
 
Oh, hi Graham,
PLease don't apolgize about being on an emotional rollar coaster. (Maybe women have more experience dealing with emotional rollar coasters, given our hormone fluctations!) I think the emotional rollar coaster is all part of the process of healing, as I see in other people's threads. We have good days, bad days. Try to stay neutral, non judgemental of yourself.

To me, it sounds like you are having a great recovery and I hope that very soon you will start "bonding" with your implant.

Not sleeping will certainly color your perspective on things. If you are used to a good sleep and are only getiing four hours, than you are being sleep deprived, especially when the body needs a lot sleep at this time.

I am sure it is frustrating not having enough energy to do your art. Graham, it wil come. Right now, your whole being is focused on recovering.
Take gentle care!
Elle
 
Graham,

Please give your GP or your OS a call and ask them if you can take anything over the counter to help aid your sleep, they may even call in a mild sleep aid prescription. Although, many times with depression comes not able to sleep or sleeping too much, so that may also be the case with you feeling down causing you not able to sleep for longer then four hours at a time. Either case, and no matter what is causing it, pain, post op blues, or not being able to just because.... we all need sleep. Keeping you in my prayers and thoughts, that you are feeling better everyday.
 
No need for apologies Graham. We have all been there and truly do understand! This is what this community is all about.

Right now you are just finding your way. You will get back to all you love. This is only a blip in time for a lifetime of activity. Cry, rant and nap - I did a lot of that the first weeks. Nancy's comment about dropping things made me laugh. I had to get another grabber to have on hand when I dropped the other grabber!

Hang in there Graham!
 
Hi Graham

You have absolutely no need to apologise - that is what we are all here for to listen ( well read) and be here for each other.. I was so thrilled when I read that you were told it was a text book surgery.. That is fantastic, I am not sure I have read this very often on the forum.

It is so normal to feel the way you are feeling... Let the healing continue; let your new life begin.. It won't be long and you will be back doing all of those wonderful creative hobbies..

For now though your task is to heal and recover from major, major surgery... :)
 
Graham, as the others have said is absolutely normal to feel the way you have been feeling! The first two weeks for me were dire and I spent the whole time in pain, relying on hubby for almost everything, not being able to sleep because I had to be on my back, weeping for the UK and wondering why I had ever gone down the hip replacement road despite the fact pre surgery pain and immobility were awful:gaah:I felt so sorry for myself it was untrue and just moved between the chair in the lounge and the bed....... weeks three and four not much better but beginning to feel better and then it just began to improve daily and so did my mindset........... could not face visitors for almost a month because I was so weepy and fed up...... hate being dependent on people and had to rely on hubby for absolutely everything which I hated ........ but have gone from strength to strength and now, after week 11 spent on holiday in Corfu and having been able to swim and get in and out of boats, has given me the strength to go on........

So upbeat now, have spent the day, after having driven a three quarter of an hour journey, with my daughter and grandchildren........put my own shoes and socks on, drove there, lifted baby up and down from floor, walked three mile round trip to town and back pushing buggy...... helped with lunch etc and then drove back at six pm, stopping for petrol etc Am very tired but feel I am back to normal and free from pain which is wonderful!

So a lot to look forward to after the first awful few weeks.......stay positive and strong........you will get there.... follow the post op instructions to the letter particularly with regards to the exercises......
 
Graham, I can't help but wonder if you are getting sufficient pain meds. The emotional swings, the inability to concentrate, feeling like a zombie...this is certainly normal. The sleep difficulties....totally normal. But if pain isn't adequately controlled, it makes all those things even worse. Could you post what you're doing for pain control, and then we'll tag Jo to take a look if it seems to be too little.

Sharon
 
I seem to have my pain under control, except when it comes to sleeping or sitting in my chair for prolonged periods. I am taking 2x Paracetamol three times a day and 1 Codine at nighttime as required. I also have a Tens machine which used to help preop and now I have no idea where to put the pads for it to work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom