Guest viewing is limited

THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
:doh:Thanks Deb! Moved to the right place.
 
Yey Graham, great to see you've been moved over to this side.

I'm pleased things are improving for you. Onwards and upwards.

Take care and take it easy

Ann
 
Debkakes....it appears that someone has moved the thread to the Hip Recovery Forum......thanks for the tag!
 
Hi Graham,

Just dropping in to say "hang in there"! It will get better.

I seem to be making progress. I am now Day 8 post op and managed to go for a car ride and a bit of a walk to have my favourite coffee & muffins in a shopping mall. Getting in an out of a car is a wrench, being terrified of 'popping out' with the relatively low seat in the car. But it was nice to finally get outside and see the sunshine for once. Pain levels appear to have dropped to a more manageable level, although sleep patterns are still messed up. My blisters on my back had turned to scabs and have stopped itching.

The saga continues...
 
Wow!! You were out and about ONLY on Day 8??!!!! That is so impressive! I know what you mean about feeling terrified about something popping out with the car maneuver...I looked at a mess of Youtube videos to try to figure out how to be "graceful" about my taxi ride from the hospital.
You know, favorite muffins and coffee are certainly worth a bit of fear!
So, really, Graham...sounds like you are doing great!!
Hope the sleep gets better!
 
Sorry you had the rough time, but it does sound like you are bouncing back from it quite well. I can't even imagine going out to a mall for coffee right now. So, feeling up to doing that sounds very inspiring to me.

Dorothy
 
Sorry you had the rough time, but it does sound like you are bouncing back from it quite well. I can't even imagine going out to a mall for coffee right now. So, feeling up to doing that sounds very inspiring to me.

Dorothy

Thanks for that. The worst of my rough times was on the day of the op - but thats another story. Today I managed another trip out for breakfast and a walk along a beach (on a pavement, accompanied, on not near water) with an ice cream (purely for medicinal purposes). I can walk maybe about 150-200yds or stand on my feet for about 15-20 mins before I can feel my blood pressure begin to drop, then I really need to sit down. I'm now starting to get grief from my TEDS which are making my legs itch like crazy and my ankles are swollen - but apart from laying down, I don't have any way of sitting in front of the telly with my foot raised. I have been given the loan of a chair which is really uncomfortable to sit in, with its back bolt upright, raising my leg will put me at close to 90Degs which is an uncomfortable position. I tend to sit with my foot on a cushion just to keep a bit of circulation going. This chair was supplied by the hospital occupational health which is like sitting in an electric chair, minus straps and wires!!:sad: But its the best I have at the moment.
 
Sounds like real progress Graham. So happy you are starting to see results.

About getting in an out of the car - take a pillow so you aren't so low on the seat. Then sit on a plastic carrier bag to make the swivaling in and out easier. Here's broken link removed: https://oasis.vch.ca/education_media.htmwith a great video of the whole procedure. Scroll down to Managing Everyday Activities and then to Getting in and out of the car.
 
Hi Graham

Great to hear things are improving It a;; takes time just remember to take things gradually you will get there.

Billy
 
A stroll by the water, licking on an ice cream.... Mmmmm Mmmmm! Graham, sounds like a big milestone to me!

Don't like the electric chair you were given, is there anyway you can watch the tele lying on your bed and elevate and ice ?

I was lucky my OS didn't go with the TEDS, so didn't have to out up with the itching I hear so many members mention... Is there anyway you can think to get some soothing lotion on your legs? I have a long flexible arm sponge, which I used extensively to put lotion on my legs. .??
 
Graham,
A walk to the beach AND ice cream?!! Oh, wow, you are doing so well!
The electric chair sounds awful, though! That sounds like a good idea from Sandy, laying in your bed with your leg up, if possible.
That site recommended by Jaycey is so useful..don;t forget to take a peek!
Can hardly wait to hear to what you are up to next...wow! You are really doing fantastic in such a short time!
Warm wishes for continued success!
Elle
 
Graham I think I have been given the same chair as you! It's not the most comfortable but at least it reminds me to get up and walk about every hour or so....I find that if I lean back into the chair with my bum slightly forward (you could place something behind your lower back maybe?) then I can put my feet up on to a footstool with a couple of cushions on top without breaking the 90 deg rule. I'm very impressed with your getting out and about, I have not managed to do this yet.
 
I can put my leg up, but as I'm forced to sit bolt upright, I can't have it up for more than about 10 mins or so. Its just so uncomfortable. What I really need is a chair which reclines back. I would like to lay down on my sofa, but its too low to the ground to get on and off.

As an update, I'm having an issue with swelling on my operated side ankle. Its really puffed up and feels weird. I've called the hospital and they have asked to see me this afternoon.
 
Your chair sounds like the one I had too. My bum automatically kept slipping forward as the cover was lovely brown PVC.....i can only say that I did actually get used to it, took a couple of weeks though. I had to use mine for twelve weeks!!!

We have a recliner but as it is a manual I was told not to use it. It felt quite strange when I sat in it after my restrictions were lifted and it took a few days for me to get used to it again.

Hope the ankles okay, my swollen ankle and foot stayed around for a fortnight, when I would take off my teds to shower I had lovely patterns on my foot!

Take care, you are doing great and your little trips out sound just the ticket.

Ann
 
I tried the cushion thing like arctophile but it didn't feel 'right' so I would just have a walk around the house every hour to try and ease the swelling. I must say though that when I first got out of bed on a morning my foot was hardly swollen but an hour later it was like a pudding again so I would have a couple of hours lying n bed of an afternoon which helped
 
Hi Graham,

I am happy to read that your recovery is coming along nicely with progress every day. Great job on getting out into nature and taking walks outside. I also had considerable swelling on my surgical site down to my ankle along with my other leg. Mine was due to multiple procedures and still persists to some degree around the actual joint. I’ll cross my fingers that it's not too serious. Continued best wishes for your recovery!
 
Yep - the brown PVC chair covering sounds pretty standard!! I also have swelling on my knee and also the ankle and foot on the operated side, I was told it's nothing to worry about though, lying in bed and using an ice pack seems to help me best.
 
Good luck Graham, look forward to hearing what they say at the hospital :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom