THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a great time in Disney!! I hope to hear your screaming on those coasters all the way up here in Virginia :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
GrahamDee I just read all 12 pages of your recovery thread and wanted to let you know I found it very helpful. It's so encouraging to see you come from so much negativity and regret about having the surgery to a complete turnaround in your attitude and feelings about the surgery. Thanks so much for continuing to post your journey! Enjoy your Florida vacation and your new life of long walks without pain. I so look forward to being able to walk for miles again, thanks to you I know that is in my future :)
 
GrahamDee I just read all 12 pages of your recovery thread and wanted to let you know I found it very helpful. It's so encouraging to see you come from so much negativity and regret about having the surgery to a complete turnaround in your attitude and feelings about the surgery. Thanks so much for continuing to post your journey! Enjoy your Florida vacation and your new life of long walks without pain. I so look forward to being able to walk for miles again, thanks to you I know that is in my future :)

Many thanks for that. I have just been looking at my old photos of last time I was in Disney (three years ago) and remember having to buy a walking cane just to get around and stay on my feet and having to leave early every day with bone-grinding pain. It wasn't fun and put a severe crimp on the whole trip. Today, I'm free from pain and more mobile than I have been for years. If I had known how much better I would be, perhaps I would have thought about it getting done sooner rather than later. But I had some issues which had to be overcome and it meant facing - and living - with some nightmares which unfortunately came true (at least partially). The immediate aftermath wasn't much better and there was no fun to be had with the pain, sleepless nights, crutches and general discomfort which came with it. As I said previously, I remember in hospital screaming at the nurses about wanting this thing out of me. I remember the depression and feeling low and all 'broken'. But that is the rollercoaster of emotions which come with surgery.

But today, I'm a thousand times better. My life is vastly improved and I can do things which was simply not possible beforehand. I can look forward to the future, I can plan my life without thought to pain and mobility. Recovery from surgery is always an uphill climb for anyone - mine was especially steep. But I got there in the end and from the top, I can see my own distant horizons without pain or disability. I would say to anyone if you need it done, go for it. I'm not going to lie and say it will be all sweetness and easy for anyone, because it won't be. THR's are a major undertaking and you have to create a massive 'gap' in you life to cope with the recovery and it's emotionally traumatic to put yourself through. BUT the rewards are fantastic and you will look back and soon wonder how you managed beforehand.

Is it worth it?.........Definitely!! :yahoo:
 
15 Months on....

I am seriously running out of things I can add to this. I met an old collegue at work who himself is a THR veteran like myself and like me, he was done at a private hospital, although he has just had his five-year checkup and I haven't had anything since I was discharged. Has post-op checkups stopped recently? Not that its giving me any concern or anything, I was just wondering if I'm supposed to be checked and maybe I've been forgotten at some point.

The only other thing I can add is tomorrow will be 70 days until Disney!! (Not that I'm counting or anything) and started to get some bits and pieces together and plan what we are going to do.
 
Graham, after my one year checkup on the second hip, the doc said to come back at 5 years. I think that's the norm in the US.

Only a few weeks till my Disney trip. I'm a little worried....taking a 7 year old means I can't always stop and rest whenever I want for as long as I want. Standing in lines is my biggest concern. I wish I could take a little folding tripod stool with me, but it seems they don't allow them. But overall I'm so excited about this!

You need to come back and give a full report about your trip too. :)

Sharon
 
Graham, I'm so glad you're going to have your Disney vacation after all! See? Never say never. Also, regarding post-op checks---my doctor saw me at two weeks, then in 6 weeks, then in 3 months, then 6 months, and now he wants to see me once a year as long as I have this hip, which is fine with me. There sure is a lot of difference in protocol from one doctor to another.

sharonslp I didn't know they wouldn't allow a tripod stool, but then I haven't been out there in many years. I did read yesterday in the paper that Disney has changed their policy about disabled folks going to the front of the line (it didn't say what they've changed the policy to) because so many people were faking it or hiring people in wheelchairs to pretend to be family members so they could go to the head of the line. Geez.
 
sharonslp I didn't know they wouldn't allow a tripod stool, but then I haven't been out there in many years. I did read yesterday in the paper that Disney has changed their policy about disabled folks going to the front of the line (it didn't say what they've changed the policy to) because so many people were faking it or hiring people in wheelchairs to pretend to be family members so they could go to the head of the line. Geez.

If I can add a little here....My wife was keen for me to get a chair during our last visit as I was stuggling to walk with the added bonus of being 'front line' for the attractions - which I absolutely refused to do. It was bad enough for me to admit I needed a walking cane and I was not going to be pushed around in a chair as a matter of principle.

That said - having been there a total of eleven times over the years - I have seen exactly what goes on. It's almost a requirement that if visiting with a large group/family, to have at least one person who is disabled as everyone can get the best viewing seats/front of the rides...and see all of them laugh at everyone else who has to queue up or sit in a crowd and miss stuff. You watch a chair-bound person in a prime area surrounded by two dozen family members/friends - all of which are taking in the full benefits that come with being with someone disabled. On top of that, where the disabled space is limited, there is such a crowd that another disabled person is refused a spot because there are so many non-disabled accompanying him - hence he loses out because of a selfish mob of people out to get what they can.
It's considered a "short cut" or an exploit which gives the group a considerable advantage over ordinary visitors. It goes on - so I can see exactly how this come about. I'm certainly not against giving the disabled person and one other (i.e. carer) to having a prime spot, but this has been clearly abused for some time. Unfortunatly, it seems like the genuine disabled may be a victim of this.
 
My daughter and I went together about a year before my first surgery. By the second day, I was limping so badly and in so much pain, the only way we could do a behind-the-scenes tour in Epcot that we both wanted was if my daughter pushed me in a wheelchair. Oh, I hated that!! So then I wised up and rented one of the electric mobility scooters at the theme parks for the rest of our stay. That worked perfectly....my daughter was rather jealous. As long as I had that, I had no need to rush to the head of any line. It was $35 a day then....I see it is now $50. And it's way more than I need; I can handle walking just fine. It's only standing still for long periods that presents a problem. We'll figure it out. Extra tylenol, if nothing else!

I always told my students when I was teaching...if there's a rule, it's because someone was doing something that made it necessary. If everyone did the right thing, we'd never need rules. Human beings are imperfect creatures for sure.

Sharon
 
I just read that effective in October, people with disabilities will get a ticket with a return time, which sounds similar to what anyone can request.
 
16 Months on....

Starting to lose count how long it's been since my time on the 'slab'. :)

Again, not much more I can add since last time. Holiday paid for, just bought myself an early Christmas present - a very expensive camera - but the weather here is really bad and I'm waiting for a chance to go out and learn to use it before taking it to Florida. Some years ago, I bought a new camera and took it to Canada, but my lack of practice managed to mess up a lot of pictures and regret not getting it sooner.

A few weeks ago, I was starting to get a worry on in case this US government shutdown thing takes a bite out of our trip. Managed to get our visas sorted out before things got bad and now it appears to be over.

Hip-wise, nothing to add. No word of any checkup or anything, but its still working ok. If it rains any more, I'll start to rust. :)
 
17 Months on...

I find myself struggling to lose the weight I put on when I got 'done' and going to Florida in 10 days time isn't going to help much either. :) But I'm looking forward to it as it will be the first time for three years and this will be the first real test of my hip since I had it installed, as I tend to walk for miles and miles.

Hip-wise, it's business as usual. It does ache a bit now and again, but I assume it's the damp weather we're having at the moment. By no means painful, it's just 'there'.
 
Hi Graham, great to hear from you and so glad you are finally on your way! I hear ya about the weight - but hey, all that walking should be good for you. Enjoy your trip!
 
Have followed you from the beginning. Good to hear from you and enjoy our wonderful country.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
GrahamDee wonderful to hear from you. I also hear you about the weight issue... Sigh!

Have a great holiday :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
GrahamDee, have a wonderful vacation. Share pics with us when you get back----and enjoy the sunshine!

Always good to hear from you. Take care, we care.
 
Hi GrahamDee I am so glad you are doing so well with the walking andI hope you have a wonderful holiday in Disney.Post when you get back to let us know how much you have enjoyed the experience.
 
Graham, you have been to Disney many more times than I, and I'm just on the other side of town. Will you visit Animal Kingdom?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom