THR Finally back home...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graham, you have been to Disney many more times than I, and I'm just on the other side of town. Will you visit Animal Kingdom?

We are not just going to Disney, we're going to a different park each day including shopping and a bit of dolphin swimming and a few exhibits etc. Yes, Animal Kingdom is on our list.
 
How exciting Graham, from memory you have an interest in photography.. If so, we would love some photos :)
 
18 Months on....

What a month this has been!!!!

I have discovered a new hip condition. I call it "Inverted hip pain". Having just come back from Florida and walked more miles I can count, I came across this type of pain I have never heard of before. The best description I can give is during my last trip to Florida 3 years ago, my old hip was really giving me so much grief, I couldn't stand for more than an hour or so. It really hurt. This time, I have Inverted Hip Pain....which means the only part of me which didn't ache was my new hip.

Seriously, we had a great time. The weather was nice and warm, although it was a little crowded at times. Apart from the walking, I had no issues with cramped airplane seats, rollercoasters and various rides which required me to bend down. But we did so much walking, I still can't believe how much we did.

But I'm still not sure if my hip is fully bedded it and functional. Despite my attempts to make sure everything is ok with rollercoasters, swimming with Dolphins, drinking margaritas, eating everything which is bad for me and spending lots of money, I may have to go back to Florida next year just to make sure I have recovered fully.

:) :)
 
When you come to Florida next year, I'll take you kayaking and put that hip to the test. You just can't be too sure….So glad you had a great time!
 
When you come to Florida next year, I'll take you kayaking and put that hip to the test. You just can't be too sure….So glad you had a great time!

Thanks for that. Next year's visit will be dependant on a lot of factors such as work and money, so nothing is really pencilled in at the moment. I'm currently sorting through the many photos I took and may post a few once I'm done. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
bottomshollow
 
20 Months on....

What with one thing or another, I didn't get round to my "19 Months on" bit. So here's a little catchup.

I have been having a little grief with my hip and at one time it felt like the bad bone-grinding old days. Here in the UK, we have had some of the wettest days recorded with unprecedented floods, winds, rain and everything else, which has caused havoc for a lot of people (having had some storm damage myself). But this damp weather has been causing my hip to ache something rotten and for a couple of days, I was getting limited by what I could do as a result of it. The level of pain did surprise me a bit and it felt it was right in the joint - although there is nothing there but plastic and metal. It was a case of downing a couple of paracetamols which put an end to it.

If anyone said an artificial hip can ache, even though there is nothing to feel anything with, I would have laughed. But for me, I found it to be real.
 
I'm surmising that it's all the soft tissue surrounding the joint that is actually impacted by the weather. I certainly notice it too. This has been a winter for the record books around here.

Sharon
 
2 Years to the day....

I'd thought I would add a little something, as two years ago this very day, I was 'on the slab' and my cybernetic implant was imbedded into my hip and since then, I can walk properly without being propped up with a cane and dosed up on paracetamols (for all the good they were at the end).

My only issue I have had with my 'friendly lump of metal' is I'm still trying to lose the weight I put on in the months after my op. Apart from that, life has been great and its difficult to remember how I managed to get around with all that pain. Of course, I still have very vivid memories of my hospital and the months of recovery, which I admit were not very pleasant, but it was all worth it in the end.

:)
 
Great 2 year report @GrahamDee.....something to look forward to.....I'm at 9 months and doing well but not perfect..takes time so good to get a 2 year perspective....and that weight....it's so tough isn't it!! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Gadzooks, I hear you on the weight. I finally got 15 of it lost, then backslid half of it. That reminds me: time to go for a bike ride :-)
 
2 Years, 3 Months on...

Looking back over some old photos with me and a walking stick, I can't remember what it was like to be in all that pain. Since then, life has been without all that discomfort and agony I had to put up with for all that time. The only issue I have with my hip is during changes in the weather, when the joint really does ache a bit. It sounds like an old wives tale, but it absolutely true. It's not debilitating in any way, or have me reaching for the paracetamols, but it's enough to make me pause in what I'm doing (usually getting out of the car, or sitting up from our sofa after watching TV for a while). But it soon goes with a little movement. I guess its not really worth bothering any doctors with it, as it's so minor and infrequent.

Apart from that, everything is done and dusted hip-wise. The only other side-effect is the battle to lose weight still goes on. I keep meaning to buy myself a bicycle - as my company will partially pay for to encourage fitness - but I live in an area where bike thefts are rife and until I have somewhere to store it, its not practical to have one just yet.

One other possible side-effect I have notice (maybe coincidence) is I'm more prone to colds and flu. Last week I was laid up for a couple of days sneezing and coughing. I have - or used to have - quite a strong constitution when it comes to colds, but I this is the second time this year I have been off work with one. Has my immunity system been compromised with my cybernetic implants?

We shall see...

:egypdance:
 
Has my immunity system been compromised with my cybernetic implants?
I doubt it @GrahamDee . But a little trick a theatre manager taught me years ago is probiotics. She told me to start drinking them pre-op to build immunity. Some say it's a wives tale but I drink a probiotic drink every morning and really have noticed I don't get the colds and flu that are going around (knock wood).
 
Graham, I was so excited to get the email notification that you had posted, and so glad that you are doing well with your two year old hip. Mine will be two in a few days, and I've not had a moment's trouble with it.

Bicycling is great, and thefts and storage can sure be discouraging. But there you are in the UK, where Brompton folding bikes are made. I received mine a month ago, made to order and all the way from England to Florida, and oh how I love it. No storage problem with a Brompton.

I needed a folding bike because I live in a second floor condo, and carrying my bike rack and bike downstairs to load onto my car is okay, if I'm going camping or going to take a long ride, but mostly I just want to ride for an hour or so and I was finding that I seldom rode any more because it was too much trouble.

Now my adorable little Brompton (I promise I am not on their payroll) is stashed behind the passenger seat it in my car, and I can whip it out and unfold it and put on my helmet and be riding down the bike path in less than a minute of arriving at the trailhead. I've been riding almost every day that I don't go paddling early.

A folding bike might be a great solution for you, too.
 
Glad that you are doing well, Graham!

I love the suggestion for the folding bike -- I had been thinking, before reading @sissy46 post that maybe your company would help pay for an exercise bike in the house. That's just me being a chicken to ride a real bike!! Go for the Brompton and post a photo :bicycle1:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi, @C Mac! Long time!
Here's a picture of my Brompton this morning at Blue Springs State Park, on the St. Johns River. Let me see if I can remember how to upload here....
[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...

Isn't it adorable? Ride just like a regular bike, stashes on the floorboard of the back seat of my Elantra.

[Bonesmart.org] Finally back home...
 
2 Years and 5 Months on....

I thought for a moment my thread had been deleted, as it didn't appear in any searches...

Anyway, not a great deal to add. Life goes on and I'm about to do a small tour of Germany just in time for Christmas and an opportunity for my wife to spend my money. Hip is as great as ever, no problems at all, aside from a minor ache when the weather changes.
 
Hey, great to hear from you. You know, those "dull" reports of someone just enjoying their lives are just what we love to read!!! So glad things are going well for you and please continue to let us know how you're doing. It's always a pleasure to hear from you!!!
 
2 Years and 11 Months on....

Can't believe where the time has gone!! Nearly three years since my time on the 'slab' and my hip is holding up really well. Possibly too well...its been fantastic and life has moved on, without having the brakes put on it by hip pain and having to sit down and rest and the endless taking pain meds just to keep going when the bones really start to grind.

The only long-term effect has been it does very occasionally twinge a bit when the weather changes....and that's it. I am still trying to lose the weight I put on during my recovery and I will be going to Florida again later this year just to make sure it can stand up to the rigors rollercoasters, waiting in lines, ice cream and assorted junk food. It was ok last time, but just as an extra precaution, I have to go again just to make sure...all in the name of medical hip research....:) :)

Seriously, if anyone is reading this and is worried about getting their hips done....don't be. If someone like a total hospital-wimp like me can do it, then anyone can. No lies about recovery being easy, because it isn't. But when you come out the other side, your life can be transformed like mine has been. I'm not a ballet dancer or a professional contortionist, I'm an engineer and I can work and live without pain or even thought.

Hang in there! :)
 
Hi @GrahamDee Its great to hear from you again and that you are doing so well with the new hip.Enjoy your trip to Florida I think it is your second pain free one.You are a great inspiration for newbies setting out on this journey.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom