Guest viewing is limited

TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Toothfairy!! So pleased you're ok. I had dihydrocodeine when I had my foot broken & re-set. Good painkiller that one! X x shower sounds good, it's amazing how small the world gets after surgery & how any advance, however small is a real cause for celebration & generally feeling chuffed! X x sending the sandman back later,hopefully he will do a good job!!! :puppysmooze: :happydance: :cheers:
 
Hi Toothfairy..you are doing so well hugs...I had a lot of bruising around my foot but the ony numbness I had/have still is on one side of my knee. My knee did feel different after they changed the dressing the first time...but that was the day I went home and it felt very different after they took the staples out on day 10.
Being able to go to the bathroom ahhh pure heaven :angel: and that first shower hahahah :dancy: never thought I would so love a shower chair :egypdance: :yes!: just letting that warm water cascade over my battered body so so nice...enjoy :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Dear toothfairy wow you are doing so well. I hope you get to go home soon, although it is early days. I have been thinking of you . Keep smiling you are doing brilliantly. X
 
You are doing well, hope you go home soon!
My heel on the TKR knee is a little numb still, hope yours clears up. Dosen't bother me, I can feel some, just not 100%.
 
Sleep well tonight TF. Thinking of you and hoping your dreams are full of magic and fairy dust and all things nice.... Hugs and gentle squeezes. Xxxx
 
Thank you everyone. I am home after a mixed day. The good news is that I am on crutches, had that shower and managed the steps without a problem and of course got home. Not so good news is I have very little bend in my knee so will be having healthcare at home for a few days to check wound and do physio. After walking from ward to front door of hospital due to absence of any wheelchairs my leg is now massively swollen. There was no ice available in hospital. I have elevated rested and iced since I have been home. I am in bed and hope it improves a bit by morning. Bruising coming out now. I think the numbness is due to my, massively swollen knee.
Bad news is that dihydrocodeine did not agree with me at all. Spent most of today feeling yucky. Started on tramadol instead this evening. Only taken one so far so waiting to see if it agrees with me. Very tired. Will catch up and answer questions soon,
Love Toothfairy x
 
Finally home in bed and tucked up. Well done FT.

My mother had virtually no bend when she left but it all came in time. She also changed to tramadol and felt much better so I hope it suits you too.

Take care
Rosie xxxxx
 
Dear toothfairy so glad you are home . I hope the tramadol agrees with you, I found it really good. Take it slowly . I hope you have good support at home. Lots of support here. Sleep well x
 
Welcome home TF. I was the opposite to you. Was offered tramadol in the hospital. Didnt suit me. So went on to Co-Codamol which ive been on since. Never heard of the dihydrocodeine. Weird how different hospitals offer different pain relief. Hope the tramadol settles with you and your swelling goes soon. Its a tough few days but by the weekend you will feel better. I auctually went out for a meal the saturday after the op. Not sure if that was a good idea tho. Take Care
 
Welcome home Toothfairy! :yes!:

Sorry you overdid it and are paying with swelling and pain. I hope you can get some sleep tonight and your knee starts to feel better soon.
 
Hi Toothfairy
I pray the morning finds you rested and the meds do their job for you...back to the old mantra...meds on schedule...lots of TLC rest ice and elevation. My knee is getting more flexible as the swelling goes down...even though it is still swollen it is easier to live with and there is more movement ...don't stress about it ...it will come I promise...just let it happen my friend...in it's own time...it will happen.

Hugs :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Always good to be home, sorry that you had to have a tough trip. Congrats on your knee and may you have a restful night
 
It will get better TF and of course you won't have much bend if you are swollen. Just make sure to get your leg plenty high, toes above your nose. We found it helpful to lay on the couch or window seat and put the legs right up the wall. (I'll post the pic from my ipad) I didn't get much icing in the hospital either. Crazy, huh? It takes a bit of time to get that swelling down. Mine is still a bit swollen at four months and the doc said that could last a bit longer. Okay, my next post will show that picture. I hope you rest well and have a good day tomorrow, now today in the UK.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust Mega elevation by the flexible Ruffian.
The picture comes out sideways, simply rotate your head for better viewing! :loll:
 
Hi TF. So glad you're home. Take it really easy now, lots of :sleep: , ice & elevation. I've just been to see Physio & according to her it's quite normal for bend etc to regress when you first go home, it soon returns. Secret is the BS mantra, rest, ice & elevation! Really helps if you have really good elevation at night, so build up the bottom of the bed.

Take it slow & steady and you'll soon be skipping about!

Huge hugs:friends: H xx
 
Hello dear Toothfairy, so sorry to hear you had to do that long walk out of hosp, cannot believe there were no wheelchairs for you. I could've given you a lift on my :bicycle1: If I'd known :heehee:.

Hope the tramadol are ok for you. Like Pat, I couldn't take them and use the trusty cocodomol. I hope you managed some nice sleep. Hope you don't mind but I've Been promoting your fairy, dusty stuff so, looks like you may have to open shop again, when you're back on your feet. :dancy:

Take care, big hugs for you,
 
So glad you are home Toothfairy. Been following your posts and so glad that you are now on the other side. Hope to join you there early in April. Hope today is a good one for you with no unexpected surprises!! Keep us posted--we all care and are pulling for you! :SUNsmile:
 
Great post Toothfairy!! Conga :rotfl: - sleeping through too? Bet you feel a huge achievement! Did reading others' experiences brace you for what was to come? How's your pain management? Hope your feeling less icky, you certainly sound chipper!! Sorry about the questions, just curious..... :whistle: :what: :heehee: :goodpost:
jetthugger sorry to be so slow to reply, this recovery business is hectic.
I felt really well prepared after reading so many different experiences on here.
I am lucky to be sleeping quite well so far. I am making the most of it. My TKR leg gets very stiff in the night and is sore to move it but not too bad. I can lie on my side now as long as I move very carefully. First 24 hours I lay straight then started to roll a little to the side. Last night in my own bed I was able to get comfy on my side for a while.
I have been lucky with sickness, I have had some but not too much. I think most of it was aggravated by low blood pressure after the op.
I found the spinal great. Much easier than I anticipated. There was a weird and slightly unpleasant tight feeling while the spinal was going in but it didn't last long and it was not painful, only a small sting with the local anaesthetic. It worked very quickly. It was a bit disconcerting as I could feel my toes tingling but there was no pain. As I chose to have no sedation I could hear everything and feel pushing and pulling occasionally which felt a bit weird but there was no pain at all.
My pain management is pretty good. I am on my regular naproxen, paracetamol regularly and tramadol four times a day. I seem to be ok with the tramadol so far.
On day one post op I had a bit of a melt down, I think tiredness, the hugeness of the experience, nausea and pain breaking through got to me. I got quite tearful. A lovely healthcare support worker quickly got the nurse to get me sorted with an anti emetic and some morphine and the HCA sat with me and held my hand and dried my tears. They were so caring. The intramuscular morphine and antiemetic knocked me out and I had a lovely sleep and work up feeling much better. After this I had no further problems. For the first three days I had a local anaesthetic infusion pump into my knee which took the edge off.
Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, blame the pain meds! I am generally pretty chipper, so pleased it has finally been done.
Not long now for you,
Love Toothfairy x
 
So glad you are doing so well dearest one and glad the tramadol seems to be ok. Sleeping on your side a little is brilliant :)

I have been called in a day early as they want to do new bloods so will be in Friday afternoon with op on Saturday. Was going to have to get a taxi but a friend rang tonight and has offered to take the afternoon off work to take me to Oxford. Everything seems to be so Difficult to organise when you are on your own!!

Sweet dreams tonight and will check in on you tomorrow. I have a busy day with clients tomorrow at home and am not finishing until late so that will keep my mind off things. Your posts have been a real help, much love and hugs Rosie xxxx
 
Well today has been a busy one, breakfast in bed, a sleep ( despite the fact I had slept all night!) first was the visit from the nurse who checked my wound, declared it ticketty-boo and was also pleased with all my pulse, BP and temperature. This was closely followed by the occupational therapist who checked my furniture heights, toilet seats etc and checked my transfers. All good.
Just got my feet up when my next door neighbour popped in for a few moments which was lovely. Physio arrived just as she was leaving and went through my exercises with me, ROM had improved from 50 yesterday to 80 today and the extension was good. I am certainly being very well looked after.
I then had lunch and a rest then a shower. Have spent the rest of the day icing and elevating. Well be going back up to bed quite soon as I am tired. I am very pleased with my progress and feel that most of this is due to the education and information I have received on this site which has managed my expectations and allowed me not to fret.
Thanks all my BS chums.
Toothfairy x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom