TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Toothfairy is sleeping I have some questions about several things she said. One is that she had her pre op drink; what is that? Here in the U.S. we are allowed nothing to drink before surgery. She also said earlier about being on the ward. Was that just an expression or are there still wards in Great Britian?

I will be thinking about you today Toothfairy and looking forward to your first post after surgery.
 
Lagrange, I'm not sure about her pre-op drink. I had to take some tablets about 2 hours before surgery and I was told to drink a full glass of water with them. Not sure if that's what she meant or if she had something specific to take. As far as I know if you're having a GA you can't eat or drink, I had a spinal/epidural but still had nothing after midnight apart from that glass of water about 6.am.
Some hospitals in the uk still have 4 or more beds in a ward but even single bedded rooms are often referred to as 'wards' - very confusing I know!

I'm sure TF will be posting very soon after surgery, she should be all done & dusted by now & hopefully coming too gently feeling great!

Hilary
 
Years ago you would be given a "pre med" which would be either in a tablet or liquid form & was supposed to "relax" you prior to surgery, so maybe this is what Toothfairy is referring to? I didn't think hospitals in the UK used it anymore but maybe it depends on which part of the country you are!
Yep! We still have "wards" unless you pay to go private & then you have your own room. There were 6 beds in my ward although only 4 patients were in it :-)
 
We still have "wards" unless you pay to go private & then you have your own room.​

Sorry to disagree Mutley but I was in a NHS hospital and although I was on a 'Ward' I had a single room, there are several hospitals in Scotland that seem to have this system, maybe not in Southern England? Some wards in the hospital in Kendal, Cumbria had single bedded rooms off the main wards. I think maybe if the hospital is more recently built that there are single rooms but it's certainly not just the private sector.
Hilary
 
That's alright Hilary! Like I say, I think it depends where you are in the UK as to what you get! When I went in for my MUA I was in the brand new Day Surgical unit. Here you DID get your own room with curtains AND a sliding door :) I could have done that for the 1st day or 2 of my TKR op just for the privacy factor when your trying to use a bedpan after having a spinal :blush: NOT FUNNY when your feeling rubbish, there's only a thin bit of curtain separating you from everyone else AND the visiting hours are 2-8pm on a weekend :sad:
 
Hi all, I will be on a ward, eight beds & three private rooms. All of my previous hospital stays (first was when I was four years old) I stayed on a ward and find it comforting, as there's always someone there. When you're stuck in a bed for whatever reason, that's a nice thought. Plus you get to chat with your fellow wardees & the nurses are always bustling about. Hope Toothfairy is doing well, I'm cleaning conservatory windows & making macaroni cheese to freeze & keeping myself busy. I think it comes as a surprise that I really really care about you guys, although we have never met (nor are likely to) we share a common thread that binds us (sound like Obi-wan Kenobi now!!may the force be with you Toothfairy!!!!! :dancy: :happydance:
 
Hi guys, ditto everything said about the wards in uk. I think Scotland generally have better funding, I was private and v glad to have my own Space, I prefer to be away from the noise of a general ward so I can rest. But everyone likes different things when they are I'll. I think I saw one other patIent in 4 daYs and that suited me fine.

Know exactly what you mean jetthugger about caring for people on here. It's surprising in a few short weeks how much time I spend each day checking up onpeople and posting, it's so good and I get concerned when I don't see folk for a while. rjanes .Roxanne hasn't posted for a good fenw days now...hope she is ok?

May the force be with us all! Fernie. Hope everyone is ok as this seems to be a v busy thread today! :flwrysmile:
 
This is Toothfairy's recovery thread so don't think we should carry on hijacking it - will start a discussion in Recovery about wards v private rooms & see if it gets any comments. Interesting to see what folks prefer.

Hilary
 
Well it's about time!
Edit later: now I'm checking in on Toothfairy and not sure what I was referring to there. Not to Hillary's comment. Go figure. :scratch:
 
As the first March Musketeers, good luck and show us all how it's done. Thinking of you today as I see you didn't have to bring your own bed.
 
On the ward. Had some early sickness. Sorted that. Have eaten some yummy sandwiches.
If they do return they were worth it.
Not passed the bedpan test yet
Pain kicked in. Had 2 paracetamol followed later by ibuprofen. When I nagged got some oramorph.
Trying to get it quickly.
Ward is 4 bedded room, all full.
Drink was Nutricia Pre op. a carbohydrate drink you can google it.

Love to all. So glad I have you
Toothfairy with a shiny sparkly new knee.
Love Toothfairy. X
 
So pleased its all over and youre back on the ward Toothfairy. (What is your real name by the way - sounds friendlier when we use proper names) Please try and get some sleep and hope the painkillers kick in soon. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY, so pleased its over for you. Take care. :flwrysmile:
 
Yay yay what a great way to start my day to see you are here and munching on sandwiches :dancy: :happydance: :yay: welcome ...all over.. :flwrysmile: now rest my friend things are truly going to get better every day :martini: :friends: :angel:
 
Sooo pleased to hear your ok! Keep on at them about pain relief! Good grief! You shouldn't be in pain! Was with you all day today in thought (sorry about your thread being hijacked :whistle: )try & get some sleep & look forward to getting up & about tomorrow, with long relaxing restful recovery doing all the stuff you read about on bone smart mantra - Soooo good to read your post!!! :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :spin: :happydance: :egypdance: :dancy: :friends: :thumb:
 
Wow Toothfairy! Certainly didn't think you'd be posting today so RESPECT to you :yay: really hope you manage to get a comfortable nights rest & maybe with a bit of sleep thrown in too! Take it easy & keep pressing your bell for those pain pills :-)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust
Sending pixie dust your way to start your recovery off on the left knee! Just follow the BoneSmart mantra and all will be well in fairyland.

Take care and keep us posted when you're up to it. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust
 
Dear toothfairy so pleased to hear you have done it well done. I have been thinking of you all day. The first 24hrs are the hardest then it gets better. That was my surgeon who told me that when I had a partial knee replacement and I really remember it being the pain getting better on day 2 . Hope you get some rest thinking of you a lot x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom