Guest viewing is limited

TKR Faith and Trust and Pixie Dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Fernie
You are doing such an amazing job juggling TKR recovery with being mum to a little one and work as well. It's not surprising that you don't have time to sit around knitting etc. The Wonder Woman title was not given lightly.
I have taken it extremely easy during this recovery time and have found knitting a great way to keep me anchored to my chair with my ice pack in place.
Reading your posts about your return to work and the exhaustion and knee pain it has caused you has swayed me to take my time about my return to work. As ever you are the trail blazer and inspiration.
Keep your chin up. I hope the physio can offer some helpful advice on Tuesday,
Happy Saturday ,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :console2: :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Hi Pat robynhood
I am so pleased that the party went well. I am so sorry that you are having all this stress with seeing Robyn.
It is so heartbreaking. Hang on in there and hopefully with the passage of time things will ease.
I am sure that when emotions calm down they will realise that it is so good for Robyn to have such a loving influence in her life.
I hope you are easing yourself in to your new exercise regime,
Happy Saturday,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :friends: :yahoo: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Ready glad you are settling back into work. I expect you will be glad of the weekend.
I like your comments from your OS, it is reassuring to know we won't damage our shiny new knees. I must admit to being quite relaxed about that aspect while respecting the messages I get from my soft and sometimes very tender tissues all around the shiny super smooth joint. How is your other knee doing? Mine has taken to reminding me quite regularly why it is being replaced.
I am making the most of my last days of relaxation before going back to work. This week is quiet but the following one is busy.
Happy Saturday,
Hugs Toothfairy x :bicycle2: :happydance:
 
I think you should def stagger your return and go ack as late as poss.it will really help you adjust.

I do feel like I'm back in the real world apart from having t rest and ice when I get chance.

Sometimes you have to trail blaze a bit to find your limits, I'm out again tomorrow, out last night, busy day to day, but somedays are just like that. Least it's half term v soon although I'm busy or working each day!

Its hard not being able to go out for full days and just bimble but it will come soon enough.

Hugs fernie x
 
Greetings Toothfairy. I am taking a break from enjoying SPRING and puttering in the yard. Yes, my 'good' knee is the one that makes me cut a walk short and walk stiffly in the morning. It's so weird how my mind is so set on my surgical leg hurting that I often mentally prepare for standing up. I am still surprised when it doesn't hurt (much).

Work is going OK. Everyone is so afraid I will break, so they are watching me closely and being very helpful. By the time I get through my second class (30 minutes each), I need to sit. I admit I am not exactly resting in the morning before going in. At one time, I thought I would go back after 6 weeks. Who was I kidding? I am glad you took a bit longer to return. Are you going to relax and enjoy OR are you going to do lots of other things and enjoy? Either way, it's a win.

So, what will you do differently to prepare for your next surgery? I was asked that question and the thing that popped into my mind first was FIBER and lots of it. Fruit, dried fruit, bran muffins, prunes...whatever it takes. I was pretty close to needing a transfusion after #1, so I will also amp up the iron before hand.

Hope you are having a great weekend with a good balance of fun and rest.
 
Hi Ready
I am pleased that your return to work is going smoothly.
That is an interesting question about what I would do differently next time. I hadn't thought about that, mmmmm
I am already taking multivitamins with added iron. I agree with you about the fibre, I will make sure I am well stocked with stewed rhubarb and ready to eat prunes as they were helpful and enjoyable last time.
I will need to ponder that one.
Enjoy your weekend,
Hugs Toothfairy x :egypdance: :SUNsmile:
 
Hi TF, that's a great question From Ready , what are the key things you will and won't do 2nd time around?

Just think how much time you'll have for posting and knitting :rotfl:

If you said it took about 20 weeks from assessment last time then your looking at September latest I guess, that makes me think of Christmas shopping ! I have to be so organised as we have a million birthdays as well in the last quarter of the year!

If nothing else, you've learnt that the mantra plus regularly doing gentle exercises is key. You'll have done all the trail blazing by then. :yay:

Im going to search out a nice cross stitch pattern of a butterfly if I can find one.

Ttfn fluttery friend, hugs from Fernie x :friends:
 
I do like that question from Ready & if I have a next time, I would probably not do much different, if it's true that each TKR is different then I can't see that we can prepare ourselves any better than we did before. I would probably elect for surgery around May, then I would hopefully have sunshine with my recovery! It's been sparse so far & Murphys Law dictates that the sun will come out the day I step back into the office!!!!! :shocked: :doh: :headbang:
Fernie is right too. We know what to expect now & can rely on!
Take it easy when you get back to work, it's better for them to think you are somewhat fragile than to try & tough it out! I still get panicky moments where I'm convinced I'm not yet ready!
Big hugs & have a pleasant week :puppysmooze: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Fernie friend Fernie and Alison jetthugger
I can't think of anything that I would specifically do differently apart from making sure I am well stocked up on ready to eat prunes and stewed rhubarb and start taking them ASAP. I will highlight the need for regular anti sickness medicine from as soon as possible as it would be nice not to throw up between recovery and the ward. So very undignified throwing up on a trolley in a corridor. :blush:
I certainly won't wear my best undies in case they need to be cut off!!!! :heehee: :rotfl:
Well it looks like I have just thought of a few things...
I am looking forward to going back to work and anxious about it all at the same time. I am enjoying my gentle routines and time to exercise and rest.
I will try to walk up and down stairs at work etc as a way of incorporating physio seamlessly into my day. Well that is the theory.
I will also try not to go round the first day having hissy fits all over the place when I find that things have not all been done just as they should be because I have not been there breathing down everyone's necks and having eyes in the back of my head!!!
I am feeling so destressed and chilled, I wonder how long that will last once I go back? Might make it till after lunch on day one?!
You take it easy too Alison and don't rush back to full time too quickly.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :cheers:
 
How many km do you mange to do on the bike now TF. My daughter did 3.5 yesterday and seemed to be on there for ages. Is there a guide for TKRs or is it best to stop when your knee is telling you. My physio said last week the first 15 minutes is just for loosening the knee its the next fifteen that does all the work.
 
Hi Pat robynhood,
I do as many as I can manage in 30 minutes.
I have the resistance set to its lowest.
I manage between 11and 13km but it has taken me a while to work up to that.
I sometimes increase the resistance a notch or two but I always start at the lowest for the first five minutes to warm up.
I also start fairly slow and increase speed as I warm up.
By the time I am warmed up I am usually going round 78-82 RPM.
Again that has taken a while to work up to. How I approached it was to build up by an extra minute a day and once I reached 30 minutes I then aimed to increase the distance I managed each day.
By the time I got to 12-13 km I realised that I was not going to increase much more so that is when I started increasing the resistance a little.
As I mentioned I get quite competitive with myself so that has pushed me on. My record is 14.5 km in 30 minutes.
I honestly don't think the time and distance are the key factors.
What matters in my opinion is that you are working at a level that is pushing yourself a little and that you go as far and as fast as you can comfortable manage and get a bit hot and raise your heart rate.
Gradually increasing your speed means your knee moves more smoothly. If you try to do too much too soon you will get sore and swollen. Do remember when you read what I am doing that I was using my exercise bike regularly for 6 months before my surgery so my legs were already well used to it.
Hope that helps. Hugs Toothfairy x :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
All sounds v good TF - I think if you can get control of the sickness and inevitable constipation then you're half way there. it was the sickness that sent me to meltdown in the first week and i couldnt face that again.

good luck with the stairs at work - i'm on the 1st floor yet usually take the stairs up as i'm exhausted by the time I even get here. Can you drive door to door as that will help enormously?

keep up the chilled feeling and enjoy it - thats one of the good things about TKR, we get to have lots of rest and relaxation that we otherwise would not have and take a proper break from work - mind you, we are suffering at the same time! I think you get what i'm trying to say !:heehee:
 
Hi Fernie, I am on the first floor at work and only have a short drive and can park close to the door as long as I will still be working in the same place!
I can and will make opportunities to walk around during the day so I am not always sitting in the same spot. I will plan to go for a walk at lunchtime but am not sure that will happen in reality!
I have overdone it today, slow start and exercises followed by a lovely trip to the seaside and a long walk by the sea. I did some walking on the beach today. It was lovely, a healthy lunch at a beach cafe finished it off nicely. I then decided to have a cooking session when I came home and have made a big pot of soup, a cake and bread since I came home by which time my knee was not happy. I have pulled up a stool in the Over did it club, see you there later,
Hope your day was good, hugs Toothfairy x :happydance: :yay:
 
Save a seat for me. TF. Decided for some unknown reason to change the whole of our bedroom around. Moving furniture, sorting out clothes, chucking things out etc looks nice good idea at the time but ohhhhhhhhhh my aching knees. Mines a martini
 
Pull up a stool Pat robynhood, your Martini is waiting. Shaken not stirred?
Why do we do it? Will we ever learn? Probably not.
Never mind, we will bounce back.
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :martini:
 
Hi TF, good to see we are all in the club! :shocked:
robynhood moving bedroom furniture? Really? I'm impressed!! :bow:
Concert was awesome! Muse really are fantastic live & the show was incredible! Stood writhing around (not quite jumping!) for nearly two hours & long walks up & down stadium stairs & to & from car made it very stressful for Gort & I now have a very stiff & uncooperative knee - hopefully only for today & anyway, was worth it! :groan:
Have a lovely bank holiday, hope it's warmer where you are (was 6' when I went to the bakery this morning!!!) :yikes:
Big hugs :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Massive hail stones here! Just hope it stops in next few mins as otherwise son will get soaked on way home from school :yikes:
 
Hello Toothfairy seem to have lost our private thread anyway good to hear all your news,great to hear you are off crutches I can't wait. I think you asked me about what sort of farming we do I forgot to answer. We have Sussex cows and grow wheat,barley and oats although all looking a little bleak at the moment due to wet spring. We also have a field of lavender. Look up website lordington lavender.co.uk
Anyway enough of me I can't believe we have all got through this knee surgery I certainly have been so thrilled to have had bonesmart friends to help me through it thank you. Oh both my children got engaged last week so have drunk champagne in huge amounts ! Think it has helped my recovery! :)
Hi exhausted with knee pain
I had lost you. I just discovered that I was ' ignoring you'
It certainly was not intentional. I only saw this post when I unignored you. I must have accidentally pressed that button some time instead of your profile. Humble apologies.
Congratulations on your wonderful news about the engagements.
At wedding plans yet?
How are you doing? I have been thinking about you and wondering how you were but couldn't find you anywhere.
Hope you will forgive me, please?
I am doing very well and go back to work on 4th June. I have my Pre op assessment for knee two on 3rd June. A couple of weeks ago I felt quite anxious about coping with this but I have improved so much in the past couple of weeks that I am sure I will be fine.
Hugs and hope to hear from you soon, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom