Hip Arthroscopy FAI Surgery Round Two—All Done!

Hi Friends,

I’m a little bit anxious today, so I figured I’d pop on and share a post.

This Wednesday (9/24), I went on my insurance app (Anthem BCBS) to see that my request for surgery was denied. Needless to say Wednesday was chaotic as I navigated calls between my doctor’s secretary, his surgical coordinator, and my insurance.

From what I understand, the submission was missing some key clinical notes to detail that all conservative treatments have been exhausted. Everything was resent again Wednesday afternoon, but I’m terrified I won’t get the approval on time :boohoo:.

I had my telehealth visit with his APRN on Thursday and she said that everything “should” be taken care of in time. I even messaged by doctor on the portal and he said he would try to do a peer to peer to get the surgery approved on time. I called the office on both Thursday and Friday, left messages, and haven’t been able to get in contact with anyone. His APRN spoke to the surgical coordinator after our call ended and said she was confident everything would be resolved in time.

On Thursday I also got a call from the Surgery Center. I have a 6:35AM arrival on Tuesday :mcoffee:.

I’m trying not to stress since everything is out of my hands. I’m just praying that I can have my surgery on Tuesday and that we don’t have to reschedule. While rescheduling wouldn’t be the “worst” thing in the world, I just want to be done. Sitting this week has been awful, my tendon has been cramping, and walking has been incredibly difficult.

I’m trying to be positive that everything will work out for Tuesday. I’ve mostly been in bed today, but have started to prepare things around the house for my surgery. Eventually I’ll go food shopping, do laundry, and maybe get a pedicure. I just needed the space to vent today.

:prayer:
 
So sorry you have to deal with this added stress, @Sammy-Am.

The insurance industry makes like so difficult, doesn't it. I know it's hard but try to trust your surgeon's office -- they navigate issues like this all the time.

Sending positive thoughts and :prayer: your way.
 
All my best, hope the insurance issue works itself out, sometimes a call from surgeon's office to insurance company can get it worked out.
When my new OS ordered MRI last summer it was denied by my insurance. The office manager called me & said if I received letter of denial not to worry, that it WILL get approved. I guess the doctor wasn't taking no for an answer, and yes, it got approved.
 
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement—I was such an anxious mess yesterday.

To recap getting authorization from my insurance company was a complete nightmare. I called my doctor’s surgical coordinator both Thursday and Friday with no response. I left a message both with my doctor (on the portal) and with his secretary on Monday. Finally around 1:00PM, I came to find that the office was STILL fighting with my insurance. One of their secretaries was on the phone with BCBS for over 2 and 1/2 hours! Come 4PM I was still sitting in limbo.

My doctor moved my arrival time from 6:35 to 7:15. FINALLY at around 4:30 I got the call from one of the ladies that my doctor was just patiently waiting to do the peer to peer, but they had an authorization number in hand. Apparently my doctor had cleared his schedule yesterday afternoon to make this happen. When I saw him this morning, he said he was FINALLY able to do the peer to peer at 4:45 yesterday, right before closing.

Everything went smoothly this morning. I was beyond nervous, but everyone was understanding and beyond efficient. I think I went to the OR at about 8:30 and was in for 2 hours. My doctor said he cleaned up the labrum and some bone, and the iliopsoas tendon was incredibly tight and was pressing on the labrum. Right now the pain sucks.

I’m still in complete shock that I just had a third hip surgery. I’m resting and icing now and hope to be well on my way soon :flwrysmile:
 
So glad to read that it's all over, @Sammy-Am, and that you are on the healing side now.

It can't imagine the stress you were under waiting for that authorization, but it sounds like you have a great surgeon and team.

Take things slowly. You know what to do.

Sending hugs :console2:
 
Hi All,

Just hopping on with a quick update.

I’m 4 days post-op and overall don’t feel too bad. The last few days have been a little rough trying to manage a lot of soft tissue pain. I spoke to my doctor on Wednesday and explained that my hip muscles and abdominals were experiencing a lot of “nerve pain” and spasms. He emphasized resting to keep the inflammation at bay and trying to relax the hip flexors as much as possible.

I’ve been primarily on bed rest the past few days and it’s a weird sensation feeling my hip flexors “stretching.” For whatever reason, I expected almost a laxity given we did a “tendon release.” Anyhow, while things have felt quite sore and uncomfortable, the hip flexor pain after this surgery doesn’t even come close to the pain of the last surgery. I’m taking that as a “good sign.”

Being on the crutches has aggravated by osteitis pubis pain, which has been stressful. I’ve been feeling a deep ache above the symphysis and burning into my abductors. I’m hoping that these are all a result of the iliopsoas and will begin to ease with time and therapy. I follow up with my doctor on 10/10 and made an appointment to start PT on the 11th.

Originally, I was supposed to go back to work this Monday. My doctor advocated for me after I said I needed more time off, and now my return date is the 14th. Slow and steady is the aim of this recovery and I’m hoping each day will continue to get better.

:loveshwr:
 
Thanks for the update, Sammy-Am. Sorry you're dealing with the aches and pains.
Thankfully you have more time off work to rest and heal a bit. I hope you're feeling much better by the 14th.
All the best in your recovery! :friends:
@Sammy-Am
 
Glad you were able to get more time off, @Sammy-Am. Any surgery is hard on soft tissues. You are wise to take you time to rest and recovery.

Sending hugs :console2:
 
Hi All,

I’m back again at 6 days post-op.

Yesterday was rough. As I‘ve posted on the forum in the past, my stomach has yet to be kind to me during these recoveries. I went into surgery with poor bowel movements (I’m assuming from stress), and found myself still constipated yesterday with little relief in sight.

Mistakenly, I decided to take 2 Dulcolax pills and was up a good portion of the night with horrible stomach cramping. Luckily this morning some water and prune juice decided to do the “trick,” but I definitely need a trip to the gastro once my hip begins to calm done.

Speaking of the hip, I was able to shower again this morning. I’ve still had some nagging abdominal pain which I decided to call the doctor about. I’m sure it’s just a combination of my stomach and my abdominal muscles overworking to compensate my hip. Again, I’m really hoping PT sets everything right again.

My hip has had some pain around the tendon, but the pain in the abductors is lessening. Fully putting my toe on the ground still hurts and I’ve had a weird feeling of weakness going down my inner thigh.

Perhaps the weirdest thing was last night I was laying on my side and had “zapping” pain going down my thigh. It’s very odd how while each surgery is remarkably similar and yet the symptoms can be so drastically different.

Anyhow, my little one (see below) and I are resting in bed and sharing breakfast. I got a coffee and a bagel and we’ll turn on Netflix soon to enjoy the day. Hopefully, I’ll be able to sleep as peacefully as she does in the coming days LOL.

Take care.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] FAI Surgery Round Two—All Done!
    IMG_6550.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 38
Enjoy your time with your snuggle bug, @Sammy-Am. It's amazing how they can make us feel better!
 
Enjoy your time with your snuggle bug, @Sammy-Am. It's amazing how they can make us feel better!
Thanks @benne68!

I’m amazed at how calm she’s been during this recovery. She’s been a lot more patient with me this go-around. She’s definitely soaking up all the time she can get with me before I go back to work :) :-) (:
 
Hi All,

Just wanted to pop on here as I’m looking for some guidance.

As you all know, I had my revision hip scope on October 1st. My doctor has me on both Tylenol and Meloxicam and I started physical therapy on Friday.

For the past few days, I’ve been having a deep ache in my abdomen—it’s almost a straight line from the right side of my pubic bone up into my stomach. I made my doctor aware at my post-op visit on Thursday and have been in contact with him regarding the pain.

From what I can tell, this seems more “anterior,” than psoas pain. I can imagine that everything is super inflamed, but I am worried. I have spoken to my physical therapist and have discussed stopping any exercises aggravating the symptoms. It almost feels like my rectus abdominis or stomach muscles are “overworking.”

My exercises are:
Pelvic Rotations
*Glute Sets
*Ball Squeezes
*Bridges
Seated Hip Extension

The “starred” exercises are the most aggravating.

I have an appointment at PT tomorrow and I’m hoping to find some clarity. Speaking with my surgeon on Thursday, he did say that we aren’t ruling out a sports hernia, even though the MRI came back negative. Naturally, I just want to be pain free and worry free.

Sam
 
I'm so sorry you are having this new pain, @Sammy-Am. Of course, you want to be pain and worry free!

I think you should be very detailed with your PT about which exercises are making the pain worse. That might make it easier for him/her to identify the problem and, perhaps even do some massage or pressure point work to relieve it.

Please let us know how the appointment goes. Meanwhile, sending hugs. :console2:
 
Hi All,

Happy Turkey Season!

I haven’t been as active on here or on a lot of my social media platforms, as I’ve been spending the month of November primarily resting.

Since my last post, I’ve been in regular contact with my surgeon through the patient portal (maybe too much so LOL), and saw him for my 2nd post-op visit on 11/8.

In doing physical therapy 2 or 3xs a week, depending on my schedule, I was lucky enough to have PT’s to voice my concerns too. My PT helped me further understand the severity of my surgery and the patience required, and also helped me see how my desk job was hindering my progress. Work literally became a game of two steps forward, several steps backward.

Communicating with my surgeon on the 8th, he was incredibly helpful with getting me additional time off. I’ve spent the past 3 weeks primarily resting at home. The doggo has been incredibly happy!

During that time, I’ve still been continuing with physical therapy. Generally, everything helps. I actually find the more I’m able to challenge and “load” my hip, the better I feel (of course, always keep my limits in mind).

Burning in the hip, particularly around the tendon, is still a struggle. I stiffen up incredibly easily and still am prone to tightness and some snapping. I’m almost finished with my anti-inflammatory and am still using Tramadol for nighttime discomfort.

All in all, both my surgeon and my PT are happy that my hip is at least, moving in the right direction. A sports hernia diagnosis is on the backburner, but neither my surgeon nor my PT think seeing another specialist is necessary.

With all that being said, I’m supposed to return to work on 12/2. To be honest, I feel mentally ready to work again, but physically would love more time off. I’ll speak to my surgeon this week about additional accommodations and play how I feel by ear. At this point, I’m happy to do whatever my hip needs to make continuous progress, even to my bosses dismay.

Anyhow, that’s all for now. Enjoy the start of the holidays!
 
@Sammy-Am thats great that your surgeon helped get you some more time off at work. If you're still not feeling totally ready is there any way you could telework? That would cut out the getting up and out of the house and to work. Its actually quite a bit of effort that goes into getting there and back. Plus at home it would be easier to take breaks, ice and elevate.

Maybe the surgeon could write something up to at least get you approved for a phased return to work? Start out with half days. If not it would probably still be helpful to take some ice packs with you so you can ice at your desk. Or maybe figure out a way to do your jib sitting at your desk and then periodically stand for a little while and work. If you can't do that try getting up say every hour and do a 5 minute or so walk around the office to stretch you out. Wishing you the best and Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Good AM Sammy Ann,
I'd agree with Elf here, try & get more time off or work from home if possible???
I tried going back to work at my post one year anniversary & it set me back a couple of steps for sure.
So frustrating.
Happy to hear your surgeon & PT are on the same page.
Stay well!
 
@Sammy-Am thats great that your surgeon helped get you some more time off at work. If you're still not feeling totally ready is there any way you could telework? That would cut out the getting up and out of the house and to work. Its actually quite a bit of effort that goes into getting there and back. Plus at home it would be easier to take breaks, ice and elevate.

Maybe the surgeon could write something up to at least get you approved for a phased return to work? Start out with half days. If not it would probably still be helpful to take some ice packs with you so you can ice at your desk. Or maybe figure out a way to do your jib sitting at your desk and then periodically stand for a little while and work. If you can't do that try getting up say every hour and do a 5 minute or so walk around the office to stretch you out. Wishing you the best and Happy Thanksgiving!

Morning All!

While I love mornings served with a fresh cup of coffee, the stiffness in my hip can be miserable! There’s a portion around the tendon that just won’t seem to release! I got some relief from w-sitting (I know—shame on me!) and am waiting for my heating pad to heat up as we speak.

Unfortunately, my current job is very desk heavy. I don’t have a private office or the space for a standing desk.

When I initially went back, my doctor wrote on my accommodations to have me stand and stretch as needed. I tried to get up generally every 20 minutes, but I think the angle of my hip in flexion from sitting was the hardest.

Currently, I don’t have the option of going remote, nor the means financially to just work part-time. I still have 7 weeks of paid leave through the state, which I might just have to take. As I said, I’ll speak to both my PT and surgeon and try to see if they have any creative ideas to keep me in as minimal pain as possible. I’m also curious about a mini heating pad that I can use at my desk.

I’m very stressed to say the least, but everything will get figured out in time.
 
So sorry to hear you are hurting & stressed over the entire work issue. Hopefully another few weeks off might be good for you especially during holiday season.
I wish you the best.
 
So sorry to hear you are hurting & stressed over the entire work issue. Hopefully another few weeks off might be good for you especially during holiday season.
I wish you the best.

Hi Friends,

Not going to lie, yesterday and today were pretty rough. Lots of crying, a mild mental breakdown, and just not loads of fun. I’m a little more relaxed now (Tramadol helps with that!), but going back to work is stressful.

I spoke to my doctor a little bit on the portal yesterday. He wrote me a note to take 20 minute breaks every 2 hours. I’m not sure if that’s enough or how my work will respond to that, but the best we can do is try.

I didn’t ask for additional time off and am just going to see how I do going back. If it’s too much, I have the extra time to take.

I saw my chiropractor this afternoon after physical therapy. Since my work won’t do a standing desk, he recommended a “kneeling chair” as a possible option, which I might explore.

I know realistically “I’m fine,” but being in so much pain the last 2 years, I just don’t want to take any steps backwards. Of course, I know flare-ups are inevitable. I guess at 33, I just want to feel “normal” again.

Anyhow, thanks for all of the lovely support.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom