TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you doing water therapy every day? Hope it's helping and that you;re feeling better. I've been lying low with a sinus infection, which has made me feel very tired. At least it has made me rest a lot which seems to be really helping the knee. I didn't realize you were going to have the other knee done as well. That is truly a daunting thought. Have you heard from Mutley lately?I just wondered how she is doing - probably vey busy as we have been since all of the moving stuff going on.
 
Hi Pat. Yes my right knee does need a TKR when I went for my six week check on my left knee my OS was willing to book it in then. He said it should have been a bilateral but he as a surgeon does not do this. I was not at all prepared to book it then. I thought it was too early. Since then I have been having problems with my ROM and start advanced physio next week to help with this. Once that has improved I guess I will have to book the next one. My OS has told me to go straight back to him and not through my GP. To be perfectly honest i really really dont want it done. Im sure most people do not want to have major surgery twice. Some days I think its fine I dont need it done and then I notice the bend starting to show and how straight my op knee looks. I have been doing exercises on both knees since surgery so I feel this knee is a little stronger than my left one. I hope this hasnt confused you more. I would love to hear your take on it. Are you as confused and scared as me.
 
Hi Morgaine I've said it before, but honestly women like you just seem so strong and determined. Please can I have some of what ever it is that makes you the way you are? You know what you said about exercising your second knee prior to surgery. This interests me. Whilst my non TKR doesn't hurt (at the moment), when I move the knee it creeks and groans. I've got it into my head that exercising it will just put more pressure on it and make it worse, quicker. Logic tells me that I should exercise it, but be careful about the exercises I choose. Would you agree? Did you use exercise weights prior to surgery. Carol
 
Hi Pat Yes like you I am scared of the thought of going through this all again. My husband says don't anticipate problems, it may not be necessary. But I know the signs. Its not a question of If, but When. I haven't paid that much attention to exercising my `good' leg - for the reasons in the message above. But I am on to it now.

I think this whole thing has put a strain on my relationship with my husband. He is a lovely man, but how much can another take? Its totally changed both our lives. Also I some times don't feel like we are equal partners any more. Since 22 Feb he has become my carer. Another reason why going through it all again scares me.

I am trying to stay as positive as I can. I am off to the gym shortly - gentle walking on the tread mill. On the up side. I can drive, I sleep well, I do a bit of shopping on my own. I even go to the pub - but only during the day. By 6pm the knee and me have had it. Carol There is light at the end of this tunnel, but my its a long tunnel.
 
Hi Dorothy, Sorry to hear about the sinus infection. You were doing so well. I am not down to have my other knee done. I just know its coming. I know the signs. But enough of that. Like Scarlett O'hara in Gone with the Wind, I will think about that tomorrow.

Mutley has been quiet for a bit. As you say, probably loads to do with the move. Off to the gym now. You take good care of yourself. x Carol(using my real name now. Got fed up with Patient 99)
 
Hi Carol,
I have just read your thread. I hope things are starting to improve for you.
I understand your concern about exercising with your unoperated knee making it worse but as long as you stick to low impact exercises you should be fine.
Swimming, exercise bike on low resistance, walking.
Have a lovely weekend,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Mutley Hi Jaki, I am dying to tell you. Went to the hydrotherapy pool today. It was just supposed to be an assessment, but they agreed I could have a session. I absolutely loved it. You are a STAR. The assessment cost £41, but that's a one off. The one to one session was another £41. But from tomorrow I join a group of 6 and that brings the cost right down to £8.50 - very reasonable. Off to bed now. Absolutely knackered. xx Carol

Hi Carol!
So pleased to hear this :) I really felt the benefit in the 6 sessions that I had. Also,,after my last session we measured my best ever ROM at 115 which just showed to me it can be achieved and is still able to be reached if you find your ROM falls back a bit. Strangely enough, my 2nd session wasn't as good as the first but I think that's because I'd had a bad night & went there with a moody attitude! You have to have a POSITIVE attitude for it to work :)
One piece of advice I have for you is this, don't even THINK about the prospect of having your other knee done at the moment, just concentrate on this recovery & getting your mind & body back on an even keel. When the time comes for you to have the 2nd one done then you will be ready for it, both mentally & physically & will at least know pretty much what to expect. Chances are it will go like a dream as you will have prepared for it beforehand, will know what your doing after & therefore will hopefully have a Merry-Go-Round recovery as oppose to a wicked roller coaster ride :yes!:
 
Carol the exercises you are doing are great. The walking, the biking, the swimming, etc. just keep the leg moving. By the time I had my RTKR done in January, I couldn't even walk (had not been able to take more than a few steps for over 2 years). Thank you for your kind words, but I am not a strong or determined woman. I did what I had to do. After my RTKR, my left knee got even worse, but the exercises that I could do with it, I did to strengthen it. Ankle pumps, heel slides, quad sets, semi recumbant bike, things like that. A couple weeks before my surgery, while at out-patient physical therapy, my left knee popped sideways and I almost fell. So as I said, it isn't a matter of being strong and determined, it was necessity.
Just heal from your current TKR, and as long as your other knee is cooperating, don't sweat it.
 
Chances are it will go like a dream as you will have prepared for it beforehand, will know what your doing after & therefore will hopefully have a Merry-Go-Round recovery

Hi Jaki And they all lived happy every after in Lar Lar Land. Cynicism aside, I totally agree with you. All thoughts of a 2nd trip to see the man who breaks your legs in two places have been banished.

What does your moody attitude look like in the pool? Do you splash water into your PTs face, or is it more subtle?xCarol
 
Ooooooo Mutley you are naughty. Lots of buubles then
 
It feels like the tight rubber band around the knee is squeezing so much it is interfering with the nerves. Does it sound serious, should I be worrying, have you come across it before?
You have described it perfectly and what's more, the good news is that it's perfectly normal! You're only 5 months out and this can go on for ages yet! Read this "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee.

Are you still taking pain killers of any description? If so, what, how much and how often?
Hi Morgaine I've said it before, but honestly women like you just seem so strong and determined. Please can I have some of what ever it is that makes you the way you are?
Don't be so impressed! You tried 'strong and determined' before, didn't you? And look what happened! :wink: (just teasing!)
I've got it into my head that exercising it will just put more pressure on it and make it worse, quicker
And you'd be quite right. There is a dichotomy about this exercising. The benefit is in improving the muscle strength and function and also general fitness but the down side is that it can do exactly what you have described. My suggestion is that you stick to any exercise that does NOT involve walking and/or causing pain in your unoperated knee. That would include things like the treadmill, elliptical or bench press. It could include any stationary bike and upper body machines and hydrotherapy. You should get advice from the qualified trainers in the gym.
 
I have a dentist's appt. at 10am today. Its with the hygienist. Knee was particularly bad yesterday, a little better this morning. But I've got a bit of an upset tummy and I am wondering if I should keep my appt. As I am 4mths post op and its only the hygienist I am inclined to give it a go. Would very much welcome your thoughts up to 9.30am when I have to leave.
 
Morning Carol :) Now this is just my personal view but as your appointment is non urgent, & your not feeling 100% I think i'd be inclined to cancel & re-book when your tummy is feeling better. ( This suggestion could also be because I'm not OVERLY keen on going to my dentist so any chance to cancel would be good with me!) I hope your tummy settles down soon though :flwrysmile:
 
Afternoon Jaki, now where did that day go? I did in fact go to the dentists after all. I also went to the therapy pool later (upset tummy went as soon as I left the dentist). I met another woman there from Newcastle. Now the problem with 99% of geordies is that they have verbal diarrhea. I really liked her, but I wanted to get on with my exercises. Next time I will have be a bit firmer - no talking until coffee time.

Don't know what's up with my knee these last 2 days. The tight band effect is particularly tight. I am being very gentle with it. And I am not worrying about loss of ROM in the meantime. Progress?xC
 
Tell me about it :sad: I had planned to get the house looking clean & tidy as our buyers are having the survey done tomorrow, but alas, it just hasn't happened. Washing, ironing, dog walking & office work has been achieved plus cooking dinner & seeing to the needs of a tortoise & a chicken. ( Did have 2 but Big Bad Beryl had a 1-1 with the vets " Time to go to the chickens version of Rainbow Bridge" injection :sad: ) Florence ( the remaining chicken) now thinks she is a house chicken & keeps sneaking in anytime the back door is open...which is often with the 2 dogs!
Well done for going to your appointment! You now have squeaky clean teeth to match your squeaky clean new knee :heehee: AND a session in the pool too! Go Carol! I used to HATE IT when people would say to me, " But your only just 4 months post op" but I am now going to say, Carol, you are only 4 months post op so STILL early days really :console2: I actually think the knee, at this point is between a rock & a hard place. We're starting to feel mentally better ( well, more days than usual!) therefore we start to do more sometimes without realising just how much more & new knee suddenly thinks WOAH! Your head might be ready but I'm not! It then pays you back by either swelling, throbbing, pinging, zapping, zinging or just feeling REALLY tight. All PERFECTLY normal although a tad frustrating. Keep doing the usual, ice, elevate & gentle exercising to keep the knee moving. It will all settle down again...& next week you'll feel great, do too much & be back on here saying, BUM! I think I did a bit too much :)
Keep that good, positive attitude going & you will be fine! Now, where's my bag of frozen sweetcorn...!!!
 
Hi Jaki
Big Bad Beryl. Now that's a name to reckon with. I wish I had thought of it before Patient 99. I'm sure I would have got instant respect. I'd have been a full Member from the word go, none of that junior stuff. Make no mistake if I ever have to have the other knee done I'm coming back as BBB.

Jaki, Put that tortoise down and pay attention. What follows is a serious question. When does it stop being early days? I have a theory that it is always 2mths ahead. Then there is the all consuming question of rest v exercise. Trying to get the balance right is like trying to nail jelly to the ceiling. Don't know if I mentioned it, but I have been keeping a diary. I thought it would help me to chart my progress. Some days I've marked as good, others bad etc. I tried to look for patterns eg, What has preceded a good/bad/fair day. The upshot is that it tells me very little!

Progress is so slow and subtle that I find it hard to say what is improving. Now if I had spent 3 hours on the back of a bike and felt not too bad the next day, I'd write that up in my diary as Outstanding Improvement. Can't wait to get to 6mths out. xx C

 
Jaki, you make me feel like such a crybaby. My dear sweet husband has been busy making all the moving arrangements, we still have some furniture too sell and we're going to pop for professional moving and storage, including packing It has to be climatized here because of the extreme heat. And don't worry about that survey. Hopefully, you'll get off as easily as we did. Something on our cooktop and air conditioning nothing big.

I was going to go to Carol's thread but it seems Josephine hasn't been too hard on us lately. Carol, I think you're right the move has helped and definitely has given me reason to do something besides think about my knee. As far as the knee feeling better, I think it's the tight band feeling which has been diminishing so slowly, that I finally can walk with out stiffness, just a little stiffness across the front. I have also ben wearing the compression sleeve and icing and elevating whenever I can. Glad you got your dental appt. and that you're doing the water therapy. It should really help. Have a good rest of he day. We will get there,
HUGS, DOROTHY
 
Carol, what can I say? My journey feels like a never ending piece of string. There are NO GUIDELINES or certainties as far as TKR recovery is concerned. I think your idea of always thinking " another 2 months" is probably spot on...& you will probably be adding another 2 months until you get to a year or so post op. When I've read people's threads saying they had gone back to work at 8, 10 or 12 weeks, I thought, how the hell have they managed that??? I know I couldn't have done it. It's really a case of trial & error at this stage as to what is deemed to be " too much" against what you feel you can do & how much your knee can cope with. I think if you can do a bit, rest/ice/elevate a bit, walk a bit or shop a bit, you'll soon find a balance of what your knee can cope with.
By the way, if you did manage to nail the jelly to the ceiling I would write in my diary Outstanding Improvement in one's jelly making skills :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom