TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
@turtle68 Hi Dorothy Its so easy to overdo it - even at the one year plus stage. You said your knee still swells. So does mine, but only a little (just below the knee actually). What degree of swelling are you getting? I wonder if it would help if you wore your elastic support stocking when you plan to do something extra.
 
Hi Carol, the thought just occurred to me it was the strength training class. I think I'm going to wait awhile before I go back to that one, my soft tissue is just not ready for lunges and squats, especially while pulling weight with the stretch bands. I did have my knee sleeve on and I think it helped some. Loved what you said about the cooking,cleaning, ironing,etc. I finally got someone to clean for us bi-weekly and I'm thrilled with that. Now if I could just get Jim back to cooking every meal.

Did you find your Moussaka recipe? I haven't made it for years,I remember it seemed to be a lot of work,what with the bechamel sauce, etc. Sounds yummy though. Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Carol,
I won't be like "Bionic Woman" & say "Google It":rotfl:
Snow Tube.... A large blow-up, circular, rubber tube to sled in the snow.
Sounds like a date I had once....:rotfl::loll::rofsign::rotfl::rotfl::loll:( I couldn't resist ) as always,
I crack myself up:rotfl::rotfl:
Take Care,
No more lamp posts....we are now refined ladies :angel:
Diana....:flwrysmile: @patient 99
 
Hi Carol,
I've just been catching up with you. I am delighted to read that things have taken a turn for the better with your knee. You really deserve it.
Hope things continue to get better and better for you,
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
@Toothfairy It seems ages ago since you were in hospital with your second. I expect it feels just like a normal knee now??? If you detect signs of the green-eyed monster I have to admit there is a bit of it. Not that I don't want you to be perfect. I would just like to be perfect too (NO CHANCE). Its only the good guys that get that :sigh:

You 've decided not to abandon BS just yet. I'm pleased. We are getting some great weather at last. I'm going to my favourite walking place today (Eastbourne). Walking that lovely flat prom with the sun on my back is my idea of heaven. xx Carol
 
Sounds like a date I had once
:rofsign::rofsign::rofsign:

He sure gets around that guy.

Final episode of Life Under Lamp Post. Morning Paper `A very attractive young woman found dead under lamp post. Police say it was natural causes. Probably just nodded off and never wake up. In her pocket there was a 50 cent coin, a dog biscuit and a note which read `Dearest D'D I just couldn't make it without you':angel::angel:

Carol Child (cc) That's bound to get the water works going.
Carol Parent(cp) That's no way to treat a friend
CC I know, but it cracks me up
 
I finally got someone to clean for us bi-weekly and I'm thrilled with that. Now if I could just get Jim back to cooking every meal.

:rotfl::loll::rofsign:

A girl after my own heart. I think the secret has to be to get them feeling sorry for us. Its a fine line as I'm sure you know only too well. Cross the line and they start thinking they are in charge, and try to tell you what to do - especially when it comes to shopping. But just on the line means you get the perks without the drawbacks.

Very wise to back off the knee. My appt. with the PT is next Wednesday. The tight band thing doesn't feel like soft tissue any more - more like rods of steel. It will be interesting to get a PT opinion. Fortunately, I am getting used to it, so things are still on the up. Hugs and Bugs C.
 
Hi Carol, your walk along the Eastbourne prom sounds lovely. We have another chilly, gloomy day but at oeast it's warming up, and we got a lot of rain during the night. Going to see daughters today, but mostly I'm just being lazy. Glad you got your PT appointment moved up. Hugs and Bugs, D
 
Hi D, just checked the calender. It turns out my PT appt. is on Tuesday at 10.30. I do hope they will be able to tell me what the tight band/chord actually is. Any news I'll be sure to let you know. BTW you forgot to tell me about your swelling - how much you get and where on your knee you get it. C
 
Carol,
Hope your PT appt goes well, and they can answer your questions.
Tight rubber band is usually inflammation, the question is what is causing the inflammation/
Good luck,
 
Hi Carol, Swelling is in the right side of knee, and above the knee cap whatever that muscle is. I aggravated it yesterday by going down steps "normally". That muscle above the knee on the right is sore and tight, so I'm icing right now. Just a small glitch, however, and I'm going to the fitness center to walk on the treadmill. That usually helps. Hope your PT appintment tomorrow gives you answers. Dorotjy
 
Tight rubber band is usually inflammation,

Thanks for your post, I very much appreciate your comments. I wanted to find your thread so that I could read up on how you were doing. The only recent thread was one entitled `Prayers for a friend'. Do you not have your own recovery thread? Carol
 
Hello Carol,
I hope you enjoyed your walk yesterday :)Did you have therapy today ? I hope
Everything went well. Please don't tell me about a deceased, pretty girl under a
Lamp post, with .50 cents & a dog bone :boohoo::yikes::puppysmooze::cry:In her pocket.
Carol, Are you there ? Carol ? Please answer me.....CAROL....:beg::angel:
Did she have a blonde wig on ? :rotfl::rotfl::rofsign:
Take Care,:friends:
Diana :flwrysmile: @patient 99
 
Carol,
Just click on the link in my signature, it will take you to my recovery thread. Tuesday is here in your part of the planet. I will be interested to hear what the PT has to say.
 
Please answer me.....CAROL....

You missed me then - GOOD. I'm just off to the PT for my assessment. I'm trying very hard not to expect too much. Don't want to have to deal with disappointment.

Hope you are doing well and enjoying the snow. xx C
 
So Carol, we're waiting to hear what the pt had to say. D.
 
Hi Dorothy and all. Went for my PT assessment yesterday. I saw a nice young man who carried out an examination. He checked for looseness, misalignment, knee flexibility, strength, ROM. He observed me walking on the flat and using the stairs. All A-OK. He asked what my hobbies were (dancing and gardening) which I said I could now do, although not as much as pre op. He asked if there was anything I couldn't do in my day to day life. I said I could do everything. He asked if I had pain - No.

At this point I could tell by the look on his face he thought I was a time waster. So, Mrs C what actually is the problem? My chance at last. I said imagine if you had a tight chord around any part of your body. And every now and then the chord was turned so that it got even tighter. You couldn't remove the chord except when you went to bed. Well, that is MY PROBLEM. My knee is all tied up very very tightly. And its tiring.

I don't know if he was guessing or what, but he said the problem lay in my quad muscles and the muscles in my bottom - both were weak. Although why the muscles in my bottom should cause problems in my knee I never found out. He said these weak muscles were trying to do more than they were comfortable with. This in turn was PROBABLY causing the tightness.

I have to apply heat to my knee followed by my massaging it for 10 mins twice daily. This was to relax and soften the quad muscles. He also gave me a couple of exercises to strengthen quads/muscles in my bottom. I have a second appt. in 2 weeks. He said if after the 6 PT sessions nothing had changed, he would write to my doctor advising a referral to the surgeon, although he cautioned against further surgery on the basis that the possible negatives out weighed the possible benefits.

I've been doing the massage and new exercises today. Its too early to tell if it will make a difference. After the massage my knee doesn't feel any better - in fact it could even be a bit tighter!

I will keep an open mind for the present, but as things stand I don't think I would opt for further surgery - in fact I doubt it would even be offered. So the saga goes on. Instead of saying `it can take as long as 12mths to recover' I think I will be saying `it can take as long as 2 years'. I am trying very hard not to think about the time when the other knee will have to be done. Dorothy, Bonesmarties, looks like I will be around for a while yet. Carol
 
Although why the muscles in my bottom should cause problems in my knee I never found out.
If your bottom muscles are weak (gluteal muscles), your leg and knee will be unstable, causing stress on your leg muscles and ligaments. Get your rear in gear, and you knee will be more stable.
(sorry could not resit the rhyme :heehee:) And hopefully that will remove the irritation around your knee causing the rubberband feeling. The muscles work together throughout your body, some provide stability (core muscles) and some provide mobility (arms, legs, and neck).
Hope that helps!
 
BTW, have him explain what you will be doing and why each session. Engages your brain, and you will have greater benefit.
And that means no watching TV or reading (treadmill, exercycle) when exercising, gotta keep the brain engaged on what you are doing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom