Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Carol, I'm so sorry the PT exercises are not working,and I agree with @pumpkin that he may have given you too much. Did you have a nerve block with your surgery. I've seen several people talking about nerve damage resulting from the block. I'm still experiencing the tightness on the outside of my knee which flared up after the strength training. Sending positive thoughts and lots of hugs your way, wish you were close so we could get together over a glass of wine (or two) and solve all of our and the world's problems. @Dabber the magic cream would be great too. Hugs and Bugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Ladies @Dabber @new knee in June @pumpkin Thanks for all your kind words. I honestly dare not mention my knee to friends and family. After so long they have had enough. So I value your support more than ever (yours too Dorothy).

I have been in denial for some while now. When GP and PT tell me all looks well, I believe them because I want to believe them. But Chris is right. I do think I will have to ask to see a revisionist. I don't know how to go about this yet. I will see what google throws up and discuss with my GP. It might even be that my original OS is a revisionist - although I know its probably best to get a second opinion.

Enough of Me and My Knee (see Pumpkin I can do this limerick stuff too :wink:) Sue, glad to hear you are nearing the end of the chemo. That must mean one very big hurdle behind you. Not that you are jumping hurdles - JUST YET. Chris, April just around the corner. It will then be hurdles for you too. D'D the gym and your losing the pounds means you will ALL be in the same race. xx Carol
 
Did you have a nerve block with your surgery.
Hi Dorothy, I honestly don't know. I came to the operation knowing absolutely nothing - what I know now is as a result of BS. I'm right there with you about our getting together over a glass or two of vino. Would you mind awfully if we let the world take care of itself while we girls have our liquid lunch :cheers:
 
Dear Carol,
Please don't despair :sad: Remember how we spoke about " An answer for Everything" I truly
Do believe this :) You were really feeling great before P.T, perhaps a break is in order. I agree
Too much, Too Soon & your muscles are yelling at you :gaah:
Please Take Care,
Thinking of you :friends:
Diana:flwrysmile: @patient 99
 
perhaps a break is in order
Hi Diana, what did you have in mind? A break as in a break from exercise or a break as in getting away for a while? You know you've got me thinking. Irrespective of being at home or away may be I should set myself a target - say 24 hours where I absolutely refuse to think knee. Just blot it out of my head. Ignore it as far as is humanly possible. I'm gonna give it a try. I wont be back on BS until 7pm tomorrow. I'm going cold turkey. xx Carol
 
Dear Carol,
I meant a break from P.T:rotfl::rotfl::rofsign::rofsign:I have taken many breaks from Bone Smart
It does help for not thinking about Knees :heehee: Enjoy your Cold Turkey :martini::martini:See you tomorrow
At 7:00.
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Carol. Been missing you on forum. Hope all is well and you are just taking a rest from 'knees' they do seem to take over our lives wether we like it or not. Miss your witty comments and funny stories. Come back soon
 
Hi, I've been away for a while as there seemed to be nothing more to say about my knee. But I am back hoping to get your views prior to seeing the OS next month. I wanted to know if you think I should be putting my energies into coming to terms with the issues to do with my knee - accept it for what it is. Or whether you think I am selling myself short and should be moving heaven and earth to get a better outcome.

Briefly I get no pain/discomfort when I am not using my leg. I can do most things although I have to pace myself and be careful not to overdo it. The main problem is walking. The tight band causes chronic discomfort and saps my energy. When its particularly tight I get some nerve pain and pressure pain - particularly if I change direction. I wear an elastic tube just below the bend which helps, but I don't use it all the time because I think it may hinder recovery.

I am pretty sure what the OS will say. He will Xray my knee and say everything looks fine. And that's probably right as far as it goes. Because I don't think it is a hardware issue. It seems like a soft tissue matter - ligaments, tendons, muscles, scar tissue, adhesions (although ROM is acceptable 100/0). Who knows?

Sadly the OS I will be seeing is the same one who did my op. I did want a second opinion, but it hasn't worked out that way. Having said that my surgeon has an excellent reputation (Mr Butler-Manuel) and he is a kind and considerate man with experience of revisions. I firmly believe I am NOT a case for revision (am I in denial? Maybe). In which case what do I want from the man? That's where you Bonesmarties come in.

Common sense tells me that my TKR is never going to be as good as my old knee before the arthritis set in. But I had hoped for a better outcome. I really didn't expect to have to live with chronic discomfort - like walking around with a stone in your shoe. May be that is where I am going wrong. May be I should take the view that its better than acute bone on bone pain and count my blessings. What say you? What, if anything should I be pressing the surgeon for when I see him next month? Carol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me and I had such discomfort when walking all the time I would want some kind of resolution. I would just stress to him that I want some answers, that dealing with the constant pain for so long was not acceptable. Even if he recommended pain management. At this point in your recovery I do not think there should be such pain. This is only my personal opinion and I do not have a medical background. I wouldn't give up getting some answers. Me best to you / good luck!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
At this point in your recovery I do not think there should be such pain

Thanks for responding. The trouble is I wouldn't call it pain. Its hard trying to find the right words to convey how it feels to me. When I bend my knee I can feel this `band' tighten across the top of the knee and down the inner side of the knee. When I walk I meet the same resistance. In the previous message I likened it to walking about all day with a stone in your shoe - big discomfort. Another analogy is like walking around with a heavy weight strapped to your arm. For me pain is when you jam your finger in a car door . Everything is blotted out until the pain subsides.

I would just stress to him that I want some answers,

So I take this to mean that in your opinion something is wrong. Its not just a situation where we are all different and some of us get better outcomes than others. Jozilla, this is me thinking out loud - I'm not pushing for more. It helps to get different views. Thanks again. Carol
 
Sorry Carol I do not think you need a revision for something like this. I would want some answers though as it seems like the discomfort is bothering you. I don't know if PT would help or some kind of muscle relaxer or nerve pain medication. I do take gabapentin for nerve pain in my tkr leg though this pain is not related to my surgery. It is hard to understand your discomfort after a year. I still have some tightness right above my knee on occasion. It is not enough for me to worry about it though. I think I would just start by asking my OS if there is Anything i could do to help me deal with this discomfort. Good luck - I do hope you get some answers. Let us know how you make out!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@patient 99
Dear Carol,
We have missed you:friends:Happy Easter to you & your family. We don't mind you talking
About your knee. You have asked a really good question & we will try & help with an answer :)
First of all...write down detailed questions for your O.S. Appointment ( where it hurts, when it hurts,
What activities cause pain, what concerns you the most) bring this list with you & get answers to your
Questions :ok:
2nd....Ask yourself am I any better since my replacement ? ( for me, I couldn't walk before
Surgery) can I do my day- day living ? Tell your O.S what activities cause you pain.
3rd..... This is the most important....I have found that as my activity level went up &
I was doing more ( walking the track, walking my dog ) basically walking, other muscles &
Joints would scream at me :hissy: My ankles, my other knee & I was just plopping down my foot....
Back to heel, toe, heel, toe. I still walk slowly....1 mile takes me a half hour I felt better at 6-8
Months out because I wasn't doing much. I am usually a pessimist, but with this surgery, I
Honestly believe it is not for sissies & will take a long time to recover, but, it will happen :yes!:
I can do soooooo much more now, than before surgery:happydance:So for me, the surgery was the right
Decision. But, I would be lying if I said I had no aches, & pains.
Good Luck with your appointment :friends:
Keep us posted, we Care :loveshwr:
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Hello. Iam almost 7 months and still have the tight feeling. I do a little and I swell. Some nights to sleep I still use ice. My knee cap hurts sometimes. Dr said everything looks fine. He said some people it takes a whole year. How lucky to be one of those. Guess Iam. Its every day I get up and my knee is the first thing I think of. I cannot wait for the day it wont be.
 
I should add that the last time I saw my OS which was 12 weeks out my doctor told me my tight band would get better as my quad was strengthened. He said I had mushy quads. So I make sure I do small things to strengthen them. The major one is walking up and down stairs the right way. I can really feel my quad when I do stairs.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
We have missed you

Really!!! But there has been soooooooooo much going on. When did you turn into a brown hairy person with additional limbs? No good will come of it my girl. Imagine FOUR tkrs with a revision or two for good measure. Give up the fruit juice D'D. Its never too late, and you just might return to your normal blonde and beautiful self.

Thanks for the advice re the knee. I will definitely do as you suggest. But a question - and give it to me straight, no soft soaping. Does it sound as though there is something wrong?

I can do soooooo much more now, than before surgery

And therein lies the rub. I was `normal' <tis true> right up to a few weeks before surgery. I only ever experienced bone on bone pain twice. So what I've got now feels like the opposite to improvement.

I Honestly believe it is not for sissies & will take a long time to recover, but, it will happen

chuckle. So, a bit like losing one's virginity. OK on your say so I will buy into this `it will happen'. But I'm coming to get you if it don't.:wink: xxxx Carol

ps: the brown hairy is also male!! You gotta change it. I walk a fine line and this is kinda disturbing. What about a picture of you and a warrior or even you and a walnut. But my talking to a dog - no way.
 
Its every day I get up and my knee is the first thing I think of. I cannot wait for the day it wont be.

Judgar, 7 months is such a very short time in the healing process. There are so many success stories on BS there is no reason to doubt that you will not be one of them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom