TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Speedy....if you are having consistent discomfort with this tight band feeling it would be good to slow down the walking for a week or so, ice and take some pain meds to see if you can reduce the inflammation that may be contributing to what you're feeling. Give it a try and see if things improve.
 
Thanks Jamie. I will have to cut back on walking anyway as return to work Monday. I'd been thinking i was helping to get the knee working and stronger again plus it's been a wonderful thing to do after so much time watching others. You sure do enjoy simple things after TKR's...
The support and advice I have had from this forum has been a life saver - thank you so much.
:flwrysmile:Speedy2
 
Take care of yourself and be prepared to be really tired when you start back to work. For at least the first few days, don't plan anything but work and coming straight home. Believe me, that will be plenty of activity for you. You'll likely need ice and a nap!!!
 
Hi Carol, you made me giggle again with your posts. You don't seem to be around as much lately which I'm guessing is a good thing. Like me youre probably just catching up with life again. I know how you feel about your tight band feeling and guessing people would be fed up about your posts about it. With me it was ROM. I didnt have A good ROM, I couldn't get a good ROM. Oh my God why cant I just get over the 100. Eventually when I was doing so much more than before my op I tended to forget about it and just get on with things. I get that the tight band feeling is somewhat different and you are more aware of it more of the time. But that's the great thing about this forum. You tell people your problems and they advise tell,you what they did when they had the problem and they sympathise with you but never get fed up with you. I really hope it gets better for you soon. I'm sure your sense of humour has helped a lot of people on here so you're entitled to a little moan every now and again. I still don't have a brilliant ROM in fact I don't even know what it is now. At one point I was measuring it first with a phone app which was total rubbish 3 different readings within 3 minutes then a gonimeter which I'm sure I've just spelt wrong cos spell check just said no replacements found which was ok but I cheated with that for a better reading. It's disappointing we don't feel 100% better when we approach the twelve month anniversary but when it affects our day to day living its even worse. I really hope things improve for you very soon and please keep posting. They make my day. :)
 
Don't worry robynhood my ROM is also not good only 90 when last measured but trying not to be bothered by it. Life is so much better now than before and most things are now possible. I did find something the other day that was not a good idea -i went to the theatre with a group of friends. It's just a small local one but when I
came to sit down the position was far too uncomfortable as there was hardly any knee/leg room. I spent the evening sitting side-wards encroaching on my friends space. Very sore knee that night and following day. I wont rush to do that again!
Hope your knee is progressing well despite the ROM?
 
I'm going to pull rank now and say, TKRs get very stroppy about chemo drugs, they do not mix!! I was reading the Lymphoma Association forum and people were talking (a long time ago) about joint pain with chemo and I thought, you tell me!!
I've hardly done any exercise because of the very swollen leg and biopsy and my leg swelling has now gone down sufficiently to see a shrivelled up calf....so I thought, must now walk a little every day or use the exercise bike for 5 mins a day.....that's all I would be able manage with chemo fatigue, so I wobbled and clunked my way round the block. Clunk, clunk.....I managed without a stick though but Dh accompanied me to hold me upright.
patient 99 keep posting and cheering us up.:dancy:
Now going to pop over to read Bionic woman2 s thread.:bicycle1:
Dabs.
 
speedy2 yes my knee is progressing really well despite the lack of ROM. I appreciate all the things I can achieve this Christmas I haven't been able to do for years. I also had the theatre experience. We actually ordered disabled seating but were amazed at the lack of leg space when we got there. Like you I sat sideways but it was very uncomfortable and it was only 2 months after my op. I was in agony for days . Good Luck on your return to work. And Seasons Greetings for a Happy Christmas and New Year. no Christmas icons yet????????
 
Carol, I've been perusing BS and you are so missed. You have been such an inspiration to so many people here, including me, and I just wanted to let you know how much so many people care for you, and that you have no idea how many people you have helped.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
Carol, miss your sense of humor, I hope you are OK. Please remember, this is the place to share the good, the bad and the ugly and there is no time limit on when the sharing has to stop. You are part of the bone smart family.

Lee:flwrysmile:
 
turtle68 robynhood Dabber

I logged on tonight out of habit and behold there you all were. Brilliant. Things can't and shouldn't stay the same, and with BS in particular, people are bound to move on, post less etc. But its a wee bit sad all the same. I think what we all went through (and still are, Dabs in particular) was so intense that we needed each other so much. That kind of need brings people close very quickly.

My news. Its official. I am falling apart. 1. I have a dodgy knee (I think you knew that <grin> 2. I have a lump on my head. Its a friendly skin cancer. Its being sorted early next year. I've tried painting it black, in the hope it will look like a beauty spot, but I'm going to pack that in, 'cause I think it looks like I've got a bad case of the plague. 3. My hair seems to be getting thin. This is a problem in itself, but more so because it doesn't cover the `beauty spot'.

And finally 4. .............drum roll. This is a biggy. I dont think anybody else has had this problem following a TKR. MY FOOT HAS GOT SMALLER. My left foot, the one that sits below my left TKR has shrunk. At first I thought it was my imagination, but I've now tried on all my shoes and every left shoe is slopping off my foot. There must be a logical explanation for this, but I'm damned if I know what it is. I'm too embarrassed to run this one past Josephine.

I am determined not to fall apart without putting up a good fight. I've made a start by googling `made to measure' shoes and `hair pieces, real, london'. Wish me luck ladies.

Lets talk again soon. xx Carol
 
You are part of the bone smart family.

Ah shucks! thank you. This will make me shed a little tear.

ps: what size shoe do you take? You wouldn't happen to have a spare LEFT shoe in a 37.5? It needs to be in black suede with a kitten heel and low front. I'm OK for the right foot.

After all, what are family for? <wink>. Carol
 
patient 99
Sorry I took over a post first of all, now Carol, do you think it might be because the muscles are under used compared to the non operated leg? My calf as I mentioned is definitely thinner than the non operated leg calf.
I'm sorry to hear about your skin cancer too...we're officially falling apart. What are they going to do, I know you've had the lump removed....
Hugs if that's OK...:whistle:
 
Great to see you back Carol. My feet haven't shrunk but my body has got bigger- I know for a fact that this is definitely down to the TKR and not the naughty chocolates I've been consoling myself with:heehee:.
Perhaps you should start an online shop selling odd shoes...
 
I know you've had the lump removed....
Hi Dabs, no they haven't removed the lump as yet. To be absolutely certain they are going to do a biopsy in January. After that they will remove the lump. I will end up with a little bald patch. I've been looking at what's available re. false hair pieces. There's not much out there. Well, that's not totally true. There is a lot of online stuff, but I think buying that way, the chances of looking as if you have a dead squirrel on your head is high.

I'd like to go to a specialist shop and get advice. Perhaps get something that would enable me to wear my hair up for christmas parties and such like.

How about you? I know you were concerned about the effects of chemo on your hair. Carol
 
My feet haven't shrunk but my body has got bigger

Big laughs. I wouldn't worry. We deserve a few naughty pleasures after what we've been through. If I could afford it I would have naughty pleasures every day of the week and twice on a Sunday. As it is I'm struggling on a few glasses of wine, the odd meal or three out, a few foot massages if husband is in the mood, a little online shopping (brought to my attention by someone who shall remain nameless) - its a hard life. C
 
Hi Carol,
Please don't fall apart, we need you to entertain us and keep us right.
I will be fascinated to hear any other explanations about your shrinking left foot. Maybe Sue Dabber is right and it's due to less use?
Take care of yourself,
Big hugs,
Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :dancy:
 
Nice to have you back Carol. A smaller foot. Never heard that one before. Perhaps Josephine might be able to explain it. Sorry to hear about your lump. Not a brilliant start to the year is it. Hopefully you will have a really good Christmas and New Year to make up for it.
 
Would love to offer you a spare shoe but mine are not shrinking and are flat and large and the right one will need surgery probably next year - not ones you want. Years ago could offer you some hair but now mine is thinning too so do not have any to spare either.

Not much help am I? I do have extra weight and then some if you are interested?

My mother used to tell me not to get old but unfortunately never told me how to prevent these wonderful things that seem to befall us.

Keep on laughing is my only answer (though hard at times). Lee:flwrysmile:
 
Perhaps Josephine might be able to explain it.

Hi Pat, I was hoping for a little more than an explanation. I thought I might get a prize for being a first. I'm part of the BS family (isn't that right leejaa ). As such you gotta look after me. Left shoes seem to be in short supply, as does spare hair. Distance glasses I've already got, same is true of a commode. Doesn't leave much does it?

Oh on second thoughts forget the prize idea. After all it will give me something else to moan about:yay: . Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom