Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sue, It must make a nice break. I love hotels, particularly the ones with large receptions, where you can sit in comfort and watch the world go by. I try to get to our local hotel on a Saturday. There's often a wedding on and its great to watch everybody in their finery.

My knee. Its very slow progress (I think), but it is progress. I get a little swelling still, but no real pain. I haven't needed pain killers for months. My leg was always 0 extension. Flexion continues to increase - around 125 at its best. The biggest issue is stiffness/tightness. Can't seem to get rid of the tight band that sits just above my knee and down the inside of the knee. It makes walking quite tiring. I don't ice or elevate now. I don't exercise either. I just go about my life in the normal way. The non exercising isn't me being lazy, it just seems normal living is more than enough - to do more makes my knee feel worse.

At nearly 9 months I still haven't got the hang of exactly what is best for my knee. I am sure there will be those who think that my not exercising is the cause of the continued stiffness/tightness. Who knows. I just play it by ear. Sometimes I wear a support stocking, sometimes I don't.

If my knee never got any better than it is right now, I would be disappointed. The tightness really does get in the way of daily life. But on the plus side it isn't actual pain. So fingers crossed. Hoping the l2 month mile stone will enable me to say I GOT THERE. Carol
 
It does sound pretty similar to how I expect mine will be by a similar time. I have the tight band all round the joint and it feels slightly awkward and stiff. I'm not walking much at all so can't comment on that but I'm doing no exercise, I stopped the static bike when I had the biopsy done on the lymph node in my groin. I think it will get better. I broke my shoulder and it was a good year before I got full use back, but I did, although I had to work hard at physio for that.
I think this might take a little longer than a year, but I do believe we'll get there.
 
Hi Carol and Sue,

Sounds like mine right now, only it's more just the quads that are affected. I still ice and elevate, and the swelling seems to go down faster, No exercise for me either, except going up and down two flights of store along with normal life. Did just get back from walk in the park. Only four more days and I'll be ableto sleep in my temperpedic bed and relax on our own furniture.

The hotel sounds great Sue. Enjoy!!! And yes, we will all get there, and we will be doing that flash dance and Celebratinn Good Times.

Dorothy
 
I think black lace hotpants, bra and a jewel will be delightful, with Clarks shoes especially.
:whistle: Stay away for a bit and I miss 50 shades of Crazy! :yikes: lol Hello ladies, just quickly passing through. I haven't been on much. turtle68, I had pneumonia last year too... go figure.:shrug: Glad THAT'S over with. :heehee: It does help to share. Carol I could have used that outfit when I went out "dancing" for my birthday. :egypdance: I wasn't ready for Dancing with the Stars, but this was the least painful attempt at having fun in a while. :yay: I had p/t the day before, so I already had Brick-knees from lifting weights. That's when it hit me like a ton of bricks... :tada: If I HAVE to do things that I DON'T LIKE that cause me pain, then I'm gonna DO SOME THINGS I DO LIKE that may cause pain. I'm in pain anyway... might as well enjoy life! :egypdance: :egypdance:

I'm short on words tonight. :shocked: Shocking I know. Maybe it was the "Full Monte" procedure I had today. :eeeuw: I did get 2 good naps out of it though and everything "came out okay." lol Read between the lines Carol, no google this time. :wink:

Goodnight, Good Morning, Good day! :flwrysmile:
 
9 months to the day and still struggling. Will I ever `get there'? Carol
 
Ooooooh Carol. :console2: I feel your pain. My 5 month old right knee has gotten jealous of the left one, and decided to stiffen up as well. Usually it's set off my p/t and those dang blasted weights. Also standing for long periods of time, so thanksgiving dinner prep will be spread out over a few days.
WE WILL get there Carol, but it's definitely a "baby step" thing. I go back to work in a week. :scary: God help me. :scare:
 
Oh, Happy Anniversary! :cheers: You can do this right? :martini: :martini: Hear Hear! :cheers2:
 
Hi Raqia, thanks for the encouragement. I dont think its supposed to work this way round. The `big girls' are supposed to look after the `little girls'. At 9 mths I should most definitely be a big girl. We all have our issues don't we? At 5 mths I couldn't have gone back to work, unless it had been on a stretcher. I feel for you. Did you say in earlier messages that it was part time? What tends to happen is that people are very sympathetic in the early days and then it tails off. My sister said to me yesterday that may be I was walking `funny' out of habit. Hells bells, I am trussed up like a parcel and she thinks its all in my mind!!!!!!!!!!

What's with the weights thing? Do you think it is actually helping you? Sometimes I wonder if its a bit like hitting your head on a wall. It doesn't do any good, but you feel so much better once you stop <chuckle>.

I have until the 24 January to get this knee sorted (if its still not performing at that stage I will seriously consider chopping it off). Wonder if there is anything in the BS library on `how to chop your own leg off'. The 24th is my Elvis night - No, no I don't turn into Elvis I go to see Elvis. But even so I have to be able to do all the Elvis moves (in your dreams girl, in your dreams).

Good to hear from you. Carol
 
Hello Carol,
Happy anniversary! It's a long old job isn't it but you will get there and look back at this and smile.
Like Bionic woman2, I'm also returning to work. I had thought I would be 'fixed' at this point however, i realise it's a long journey. Hope me knee behaves itself!
Take care and keep smiling
Speedy2:flwrysmile:
 
Carol, glad you still got your sense of humor. People say the darnedest things... I ran into another "my wife's baby's mother sister in law's cousin" had surgery and.... I ripped him a new one, and shut him down! Will post about or later on my page.... PEOPLE! :hissy: I gotta run and get a flu shot before I go back to school with the germ infested kiddos AND adults. Teachers are the worst! They swear they can't stay home when sick. Oh, it's full time, full on, but it's only for 3 weeks then we have a 2 week Christmas break.... I'll survive. Btw, my other knee will be inky 10 weeks. PRAY! :beg: :bow: :beg: :bow:

I better take it easy because, I need to be well enough to fly over for Elvis day ad "bust'a move!" :rotfl:

Anyway, if you have time, stop by my page and click on the link I shared yesterday for a good laugh. You'll thank me later. :rofsign:
 
Oh, I imagine weights would work if I actually had some muscle to begin with... But all they do right now is give me "brick knees" yeah there's a song that goes with that. Oooow! She's Ouchy, Ouchy... Lol :headbang: :groan:

I have one more day of torture before I let him know that I'm not coming back once I return to work. 25 kindergartners = P/T in my book. I'll hit the gym over my break if I'm able. :thud:
 
Hi speedy 2. How do you feel about going back to work? I know @Bioni has mixed feelings. And how is your knee? I recall you had the tight band syndrome. I know it can be a slow process, but I am now beginning to worry big time. But next to moaning, worrying is what I do best <chuckle>. I am waiting for Josephine et al to pop up any day now and say `shove off' , we've heard all about your bleep bleep knee. I've tried making new friends on BS so I can tell them about my knee but I think word has got around.:no-fin:

Do you recall Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Rhymn of the Ancient Mariner? The sailor's curse for killing the albatross was that he could not dies. Instead he had to wander the earth. He had to stop every third person he met and tell them his dreadful deed. Well I think I must have stood on a spider or killed a moth or something, and my fate is similar to the sailor, except I have to tell people about.........................my knee.

To make things a bit interesting for myself I think I am going to start embellishing my story.
Any ideas very welcome.

ps: what about this: every day at about 2pm a woodpecker appears and starts tapping at my knee. Has anybody else experienced this? Carol
 
:rotfl: :loll: Carol you are CRAZY... Thank you. :thumb:

Yeah, I'm still online, but I am peddling away on my porta-bike as we speak. :bicycle2:

Gonna re-tag speedy2 for you because I don't think your tag went through.
I LOVE your humorous comparisons by the way. :loll: So maybe that's why you're here. Lol :cheers:
Oh and please.... DO embellish! :rofsign:
 
stop by my page and click on the link I shared yesterday

Raqia, as always, you put a smile on my face. And thanks for tagging speedy2 for me.

I ripped him a new one

think I get the meaning. Is it like saying ` I tore him off a strip?'.

Had a quick read of your thread. Your work issues reminded me of what a drag office politics are. Doing the job, and doing it well, was never the issue. It was trying to get along with everybody else that was the difficult bit. A bit like a marriage only instead of one husband you have ten to please.

I LOVE your humorous comparisons by the way. :loll: So maybe that's why you're here

Chuckle. A purpose at last.

Hope you stick around once you go back to work. Carol
 
Hi Carol @patient99,

Yes, I have the same mixed feelings - quite a scary thought. This knee has certainly been calling all of the shots for the last few months.
You're right, I have had the tight band feeling which has made movements more difficult as had my limited ROM. Ironically, for a few days this last week it did seem to improve at the front but worsened at the back with a terrible constant gripping pain.:shrug: I never thought I'd say this but was glad to wake up yesterday to the tight-band feeling again as the gripping pain seems to have subsided.

He had to stop every third person he met and tell them his dreadful deed.
I was just wondering if you had your costume sorted out yet for this event Carol?:happydance:
I'm fed up of people asking about my knee but really not wanting to know because they think it should be absolutely fine by now - if only. It's definitely come a long way but still has a way to go yet to be that 'normal' I was looking for. However, it has been wonderful to do 'normal' things like walks, shopping that others take for granted.

Don't wear yourself out on this 'embellishing' journey.
Big hugs
Speedy2
:flwrysmile:
 
Ironically, for a few days this last week it did seem to improve at the front but worsened at the back with a terrible constant gripping pain.:shrug: I never thought I'd say this but was glad to wake up yesterday to the tight-band feeling again as the gripping pain seems to have subsided.

Speedy, its so early days for you there is loads of time for improvement. I need to revisit the BS library as I still don't properly understand what this tight band feeling is. I have had the gripping pain you describe. It went after a few days. I tend to think its soft tissue readjusting to the prosthesis.

Re. exercise. Do you have a set of pedals? I got mine from Amazon. They are really effective. 5/10 mins on them before work might help. Thinking about it, they are so light you could even take them to work and do a few minutes when you can.


wondering if you had your costume sorted out yet for this event

Never thought I need a costume. But now you mention it, what comes to mind is something along the lines of |Long John Silver - wooden leg, crutch etc. all appropriate. But not the parrot. I don't want Polly pooping all over my shoulder. C

ps thanks for the big hug. I never used to go in for them pre BS, but turtle68 introduced me to them and now I like them :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks for that referee54. Perhaps all the walking i'm doing is making it worse? i try to walk about 1 mile each day (until work commences). I will wait for that day when it ceases which hopefully will be soon.
 
Hi Carol @patient99,
How are you? Have you looked at QVC yet? Perhaps that's why you haven't been around - too busy shopping!
Hope that knee is behaving itself.
Hugs
Speedy2
:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom