Guest viewing is limited

TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if I manage to register with a new, GOOD Doctor, I will run my miserable little scenario by them & see what they say.

Sounds like a plan. Although I'm not sure how you go about finding a GOOD doctor when you move to a new area.
 
Well if you received any complimentary oils I suggest you stick it on your knee! It will be a bit like drinking Heineken (allegedly!) refreshes the parts other oils can't reach :)
No suggestions for the safety pins at this moment in time but I will give them some consideration....( well I do but I think I might be the 1st person BANNED from Bonesmart & that wouldn't be very good would it??!!!)
 
At least you'd be famous. They would talk about you for years to come...............Remember Mutley, they one who got banned. If it wasn't that I'd miss you too much I'd say go for it
 
Carol, He got a little technical at that point but he did mention that there is some looseness on the left side of the knee, and hopefully, if I can build up my thigh muscle it will fill in the looseness. In the meantime it's been a lovely day, exercised, rested, iced etc , then went shopping with my husband, and definitely not thinking about the what if's. As the trite saying goes, it will be what it is, and I did find out that my OS also regularly does revisions, and is one of the best in Houston. I'm just happy to know that the problem has been identified, and that we'll just do what's necessary as time goes along. Meanwhile, after all of the struggles and physical problems of the last two years, I intend to enjoy every day as much as possible. XXDorothy
 
Dabber, as you are the new kid on the block, do you want to say what to do with the safety pins. As you're new you wont get banned. You'll just get a caution.

ps bet you are dead pleased you got me, to good guy, to look after you.
 
Josephine If you have time I'd be grateful for your advice. I've been wearing an old pair of elasticated exercise tights. They seem to help with the swelling and give my leg a little more support which makes it easier. On the basis of this I've now ordered a pair of compression stockings. As they gave me size medium in hospital, I've gone for size large to try and ensure they aren't too tight. I've gone for the thigh high ones as I think they will be more comfortable and be less inclined to inhibit my bend.

Do you think wearing compression stockings will be OK? The last thing I want is for my leg to drop off. On the net they do say you should talk to your doctor before wearing them. But that does seem a bit OTT. Thank you. Carol
 
Carol....way back then you asked me if I sit with legs up because they hurt. Short answer is no, it's just comfortable! My legs are bent while sitting at work all day. I remember at first the instruction from hospital was, no crossed legs. Does anyone know if this is a 'forever' instruction or just post op? I can't help crossing my legs!
Very busy at work as we prepare to launch our 'new' bank on Monday
 
I thought long and hard about the safety pins for ladies of our age and decided......sewing box :happydance:

You could try another option, but sewing box seems the least painful, or send them back to exchange for another garter :)
 
Short answer is no,
Pleased to hear this. Success stories are very encouraging. Long before my op I was told crossing your legs was bad for the circulation. Its easy to see why it should be avoided in the early months of post op, but later on afraid I don't know. As I always err on the side of caution I would try not to do it just to be on the safe side. I suspect you do it automatically. If you don't get any discomfort or any other negatives that's usually a sign that its OK. Its an interesting question. Carol
 
You're right carol, its automatic, legs up = legs crossed. I'm sure it's not good for circulation and I've often thought that was why I was not to do it at first in case of dvt but it wasn't easy!
 
They say it's bad for varicose veins too. I have to stop myself crossing my legs.
Sue.
 
Sue, saw you were online so that I'd just say good morning. I've got terrible neck ache at the moment which means I can't sit for long in front of my lap top. You know if they had told me getting old was like this I would have opted out. Carol
 
It orrible isn't it! Good morning by the way, I'm having a lazy day! I've not kept up with Bonesmart very well for a few days. Going to hairdressers later, that usually makes me feel better. I get gossip!!
Had a lot of niggling pain recently in knee and leg, not sure what meds to take or when or if!

Decisions.
Sue :)
 
Sue, saw you were online so that I'd just say good morning. I've got terrible neck ache at the moment which means I can't sit for long in front of my lap top. You know if they had told me getting old was like this I would have opted out. Carol

Was that from peeking behind your net curtains checking up on what the neighbours are doing??? If you stand there all day you WILL get a stiff neck :heehee:
 
Do you think wearing compression stockings will be OK? The last thing I want is for my leg to drop off. On the net they do say you should talk to your doctor before wearing them. But that does seem a bit OTT.
Of course it will be okay! And I applaud you for deciding to choose larger rather than smaller. By far safer from the circulation point of view. but I'm flattered to see me as an acceptable alternative to asking your GP! :snork:
I remember at first the instruction from hospital was, no crossed legs. Does anyone know if this is a 'forever' instruction or just post op?
There are two reasons for not crossing legs after major surgery. First reason and for a short period, is to avoid causing blood clots (DVT or embolism) and the top leg gets the calf, and therefore calf veins, compressed and slows down the circulation. This is a perfect medium for blood clots to develop and why they urge you to do foot pumps and rotations to keep the blood flow brisk. Second is for hip replacements as this is also a good way to cause dislocations. But since this doesn't apply in TKR, not a problem!
 
Was that from peeking behind your net curtains

Stinking, rotten day today. Can't even respond to the net curtain jibe. I've seen the doctor more in the last 6 months than I have in the rest of my life. She says I've got arthritis in my spine which is causing the neck pain. I'm taking more pain killers for that than I am for my knee!

Remember my saying I had a job. Well today I was doing errands as part of the job. Don't ask me why I am putting this pressure on myself as I really don't know. The nearest I can get is that I want so much to get back to normal and being able to work represents that. Making a few phone calls and doing some paperwork was OK, but I also had to go to the post office and pick up some samples from a shop where there was no parking. Walking and carrying packages was really difficult. I've agreed to look after her son for a few hours on Monday night. My knee is at its worst in the evenings. I think I've lost my marbles.

I bet you will be relieved when the house move is finally complete. Its hard work moving when you are 100%, but when you are in pain.............. Are you getting plenty help and support? Hope the money transfer goes through quickly on the day. In the past we've been stuck outside the new house for hours, waiting for the transfer to go through so they could release the keys. Make sure you have a flask of tea, sandwiches etc. just in case.

Anything to report?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom