TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] Everything Comes to She Who Waits
patient 99, here's the link to the Library article about this very thing: "Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee
 
thanks bottomshollow I read the article some while ago. I boned up on it when I thought I might have to have an MUA. The article says it lasts `for several months and gradually reduces'. I am past 6 months now. I would have thought I would have seen more of an improvement at this stage. There would appear to be nothing I can do but wait. I don't have a problem with that. My difficulty is concern that things are not right.

I know from reading this forum that if you wait long enough most people get a good result, but I also know that there are a few who wait only to find out some way down the line that there was a problem all along.

I saw the OS on 16 August. He never even examined my knee. He appeared to make the decision that I was ready to be discharged on the basis that my ROM was OK and that I seemed cheerful. Perhaps I am fussing unnecessarily. But I have been left in charge of this knee which never seems to improve and it gets me down.

I've had support from Josephine and others since I joined BS and I know there's nothing more anybody can do to help me. I ice, elevate, do non-aggressive exercise, take my pain meds, try not to overdo it (although this can be difficult, because what is OK one day isn't the next). I also know that it can take a year or more to get better. But I am going to feel pretty sick, if in 12 months time it turns out that there was something wrong all along and OS, GP and PTs missed it. Carol
 
RestAssured Took pain killers and rested. Icing and elevating doesn't seem to help anymore. Its interesting that you think the band feeling is my body saying it is still in the healing process. If its that, its much easier to live with than thinking something is wrong. As I'm now over 6 months I feel I want to do more, but your message is still about being very careful. I thought I would give it a few days and if its still as bad go see my GP. Don't want to be a time waster, but also don't want to take risks. Thank you for your advice. Carol

Definitely go to your GP if things don't get better. A lot of times though, the body is still healing. If you still feel this way after a week or so, contact your doctor.
 
Good morning Carol, I woke up with my knee feeling much better. It always happens after I make a dr.'s appointment. But I did spend most of the day yesterday resting and icing - had some kind of stomach bug probably caused by eating rich Italian food for lunch Thursday.

Will keep you posted on what the O.S. says on Tuesday.

Bugs, Dorothy
 
I asked my Physio about the tight band and he said it can start to go around month 7ish. It's funny, it seems such a major concern for so many, if not all of us, you'd think the medics would mention it somewhere along the line.
 
Wondered if anyone has experienced the following: Knee reasonable in the morning ie, I can walk although its uncomfortable, but my 5/6pm everyday it hurts a lot and wont bend. I have to go to bed. Once in bed the pain stops. This pattern is the same regardless of what I have done/not done during the day. I am 6 mths post op and there is no let up. Its the old question - Is this normal. Carol
 
There's some work being done on the site, Pat, in readiness for our major upgrade. So you may find a few things dip in and out of working-ness!
 
I'm having a funny day. Knee was a bit of an apple dumpling this morning, now the whole leg is a bit swollen, if it doesn't go down I'm going to try to see GP, heart rate a bit erratic too, stonking head ache.
I was thinking about you though, have you had thyroid tests and Vit D and so on recently? It wouldn't explain the knee pain/bend but might give you a general health check.
Sue.
 
Hi Sue, thanks for your thoughts. Will give it a day or two. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Can you get to see a GP on the day if you get to the surgery early enough? Let me know how you get on. Carol
 
The messages I've received of late boil down to the same thing ie, stop moaning, get on with it and be thankful its not worse. I went to see the GP today who politely said something similar. So whilst I might be a cry baby I am not a fool. I have taken heed of what's been said and decided to give this positive thinking a go. I don't know how long I will be able to keep it up, but I will give it my very best shot.

Reasons to be cheerful today: lovely lunch out, ploughmans and a couple of drinks sitting in the sun.
Today's score out of 20: 17

Gosh, its easier than I thought.
 
Hi Carol,

Sonds like a good day. What is ploughmans? Celebratinng my husband's 73rd birthday today, lucky him they made it a holiday. Going to see OS tomorrow and he'll probably tell me the same thing. It takes a year to heal so grin and bear it.

I already decided to do that. Yesterday I adopted a new song "I've got a new attitude".

Hugs, Dorothy
 
If it's any consolation, I thought I was feeling just like you today. Knee a dumpling, leg a log depsite resting, icing elevating. I had to walk to help look after grandchildren, it was awfully difficult, I took a stick. By gum our pavements are uneven in town. My knee actually feels better for the walk now I'm home. How contrary.

Have you got a part in your panto for me....better not be the woodcutter in case the axe slips?

We'll all have a ploughman's during rehearsal.:dancy:

Sue.
 
Well,

I am proud of you Carol and Dorothy! You have made my day!

I am not saying stop moaning in the least though! LOL. We ALL have our down days.

What I am saying is each day we live we make a choice on how we use it. We can either try to do the best we can and move around the bumps in the road, or lay down and let the street roller, smooth the bumps and us out! I choose the first! Do I have pain occassionally? Yes. Do I slow down? :umm: :heehee: Depends on how bad the pain is! :heehee:
 
Hi Dorothy, never been to a panto and never had a ploughman's. The sooner you get over here the better. A ploughman's is nothing more than bread and cheese, but the pubs dress it up a bit with pickle and salad. I think its called a ploughman's because that's the sort of food a farm worker would have eaten back in the days of ploughs and horses. Hope your husband's birthday was enjoyable. Waiting with baited breath to hear what your OS has to say. Surely just now and then they must say something other than GIVE IT TIME, if only to break the monotony for themselves.
 
Hi Sue, I had to check if you could be in the panto. We have to have an even number of LTKRs and RTKRs for when we do the high kicking dance routine. Being a righty you are in. But think yourself lucky, it was the last place.

Dorothy said something ages back that went completely over my head at the time, but I've been trying it for the last couple of days and it seems to help. Its those tight stockings, similar to those they give you in hospital and on planes. The difference is that mine come right up to the top of my leg. The shorter ones seemed just to move the swelling to a different place. The swelling is less and having a bit of support makes things easier. Just thought I'd mention it in case its of any help to you. Carol
 
Hmmmmmmmmm.

There's another part going spare. As its the aqua version of Snow White they are looking for someone who can man underwater. Interested?
Thank you so much for that Carol, I was just catching up on your thread and this made me laugh out loud.
You are a hoot,
TF x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom