TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh carol, Isn't that a song?, my heart goes out to you, it's not easy to be patient but you are getting there...dancing!! Bet you never thought you'd get to that stage. What works one day doesn't the next and we've no way of knowing till its too late. I sit with my legs up all evening on a footstool, could you try tat instead of going to bed? You are making progress you know, it just doesn't always seem like it! Give my regards to Eastbourne ! I miss the sunny days
 
Well, it is always a good idea to seek a doctor's opinion if you are worried about it. Some people start developing scar tissue and adhesions. I will tag one and maybe she can help you more than I can on this one! :O) skigirl
 
Well, I've been waiting to respond to the posts about whining with my own thoughts about sometimes we have to be our advocate while we''re listening to our bodies. I just returned from my OS. He did x-rays, which showed the hardware is okay, but there is some mild loosening where there is some loosening where the posterior cruciate tendon was cut during surgery. My range of motion is still acceptable, along with the flexion, he said he could do surgery, but prefers to treat it conversatively, with some exercises he gave me, water therapy, and that four letter word "rest". I just googled this ligament, and conservative treatment is 80% successful, so I'm happy do the quads and coffee can leg raises, as he called them, and I love the water.

He asked if I was allergic to metal but I told him I didn't think so, since I've had cervical fusion from 2-7, and lumbar fusion from 2 to 5, along with a pacemaker, so we still don't know what's causing the beautiful bruising pattern. At least I know now to stop trying to go down stairs normally. Going up is no problem but going down normally hurts like heck.

He did some blood work, C-reactive protein and sed rate to rule out infection. We also discussed NAISDs, but, unfortunately because of asthma and a-fib, I can't take them or use voltaren. Bummer, I'll just have to stay with my friend ice. I'm very grateful I saw the OS today, he listened to me very carefully, which brings me to my point. I know sometimes we feel like we're just whining and crying, and often we are, but as I told my PT before I found Bonesmart, we have to listen to our bodies, and If it hurts, I'm not going to do it. And I am fortunate to have a couple of drs. in my family who are very good diagnosticians, and encouraged me to see the OS again.

I just realized I should have posted this on my own thread but hope you''ll forgive me as it's time to do some exercises.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Nancy, good to hear from you and thank you for your words of encouragement.

. I sit with my legs up all evening on a footstool,
Is that because your knee is still causing you problems?

Just as an off chance, do you have any experience of support stockings? Some while ago Turtle 68 (Dorothy) mentioned the benefit of compression stockings. I found an old pair of keep fit leggings in my drawers - the tight elastic kind. I've tried them today and I am impressed. My knee has been a lot more comfortable. So I thought I'd see if I could buy the actual thing.

I'm not sure if I should buy compression stockings or support stockings (I want the thigh high hold up type). I'm a bit wary of the compression stockings as they all seem to carry a warning that you should speak to your GP before using them (but don't want to bother her for something like that). Getting the right size is also difficult. All the ads say getting the right size is vital ,but none of them want a knee size. My knee is 41cm circumference which equals large/extra large. All my other leg measurements equate to small/medium.

I suppose I will just have to order some and see how I get on. But these things are quite expensive so I want to try and get it right if I can. Gosh isn't life difficult.
 
Hi Dorothy, I am impressed with your OS. He did a whole lot more than say `give it time'. The `mild loosening' sounds a bit alarming, but if it can be treated with exercises and rest it all sounds manageable. Feeling you have been listened to helps so much, doesn't it. Its a shame you couldn't get to the bottom of the bruising pattern. But it seems he wasn't worried about it. All in all a very useful visit. Well done. xx

ps: anything to add to my message above on compression/support stockings? Carol
 
Hi Carol,

As I understood it the mild loosening was not in the prothesis but some space in between the ligament and the TLR. I don't understand exactoy what he's saying, I was just glad to hear that usually the exercises, which are very gentle, will take care of it, so we'll wait 6 months for any new surgery. I'm all for that and really moivated to do the exercise andwater therapy.

I had two knee compression stockings (at 40$ a piece) and I'e lost them both, so now I'm just using an ace bandage but I do think it helps. It is part of the RICE mantra and I'm so glad it seems to be helping you out. Dorothy
 
Ladies I apologise :sorry: I appear to have NOT been keeping track on your posts. I'm very impressed with Dorothy's OS. He seems to have done a very thorough job of finding out what's going on in Dorothy's knee. I think if you know what's going on you can handle it better. Carol I'm DISGUSTED that your OS didn't even feel/examine your knee. I thought mine was going to come off in his hand! I'm still not signed off & need to make an appt for January. Since the MUA I was told to give it a year to 18 months. I'm just wondering what the hell will I do if I'm still experiencing the same problems then? ATEOTD ( just for you Dorothy that was " At the end of the day"!!) there is NOTHING wrong with the actual replacement, however, no pain killers & no firm explanations as to what the problem is. Last couple of nights have been evil & I met someone for a dog walk at 6am & I have to say it was a real struggle to manage an hour, still chat & try & be cheerful. Got back to the dog van & I had to lift my leg up & in with my hand. Completely heavy & felt like I had a vice clamped round it. Trying to pack up more stuff but just can't concentrate when this pain is just nagging away....Thank goodness for fresh Tiger Loaf ( Dorothy, this is a massive, fresh, crusty loaf of bread!) & pâté PLUS a bonus packet of shortbread fingers...OH NO! Just remembered I'm supposed to be a diet buddy with Laura in America on here! I'll just have to hope she doesn't read this post.... " Diet's going REALLY WELL Laura! I'll let you know how much I gain on Monday!"... Ho Hum.. :)
 
So, we're doing this panto in tights are we......I'm 5 ft 8ins, you're going to tell me you're 6ft 3ins/4ft 6ins. Will they be flesh coloured ones or can we choose different colours, shiny or matt? Will this be before we've eaten a tiger loaf/ploughman's or after?

Seriously though, some worrying posts. Dorothy turtle68 hoping the exercises help. Mutley hoping the packing goes OK, that heavy feeling is just so bizzare isn't it, @patie
 
My posts are being mangled, will try again later.
 
I had some Scholl support hold ups when I had my varicose veins removed, but I'd check with a Dr before using similar. They were comfortable as I remember, much better than whatever it was the hospital issued me with, but it was 10 years ago.
 
So, we're doing this panto in tights are we...
Dear Sue, you know I promised to look after you. Well I am just a wee bit worried that you're losing it - not much, but a bit. Hate to have to break it to you (but that's what friends are for), but there is no panto, there are no tights of any colour, no ploughmans and no jammy dogers. Now get a grip girl. I'll be back to check on you.
 
Sue, never thought about the scholl shop. I'll google it. There's a one not far from me. This is the second day I've worn these elasticated leggings. I am amazed at the difference they are making. I was actually walking about at 8pm last night- for me that it marvelous. They are comfortable on my legs, but a bit hot around my bottom. That's why I want to get holdup stockings. But before I buy on line I will check out what's available in the shops. I've got a garage full of stuff I've bought on line, in the hope that it would help, and it hasn't - skate boards, weights, tables that Hwere supposed to fit over a bed, slippers with extra support, toe-out socks to protect heels when confined to bed etc. etc.

Have you given the grand kids back? Are you managing to take it easy? Carol
 
Hi Jaki, I wonder if now is the time to DEMAND a second opinion. I read somewhere that you should try to get an OS who has no connection with the one that did the op - avoids the old boy's network. I wouldn't wait several more months in that kind of pain. Being cheerful for what you've got is commendable up to a point. But hey, come on. You've always know the hardware was OK , and that's all that shows up on a normal Xray (I think). But whatever Dorothy had done was able to show problems with the soft tissue, which is where your difficulties seem to lie.

Its not as if anybody could accuse you of being impatient - in fact quite the opposite. Besides you have nothing to lose by going to the GP and insisting on a referral. I know when you are down it all seems just too, too much. Sitting in surgeries and hospitals is the last thing you want. But...............Oh I am going to stop there. If I am not moaning I am nagging. Please give it some consideration. Carol
 
Dorothy, how can you possibly lose not one but two compression stockings? I bet they are blocking up the pool filters at your Hollywood style parties.
 
Good morning, or afternoon, wherever you are. It's just another sunny, hot day in Houston whilst I lie here doing exercises for thigh strengthening. We are so looking forward to some cooler weather which should come soon. Carol, I am so glad those compression stockings seem to be helping you out. I rubbed my knee with vitamin E oil last night and then wrapped it in an ace bandage, and it looks so much better.

Jaki, thanks for your comments. I know what you mean about the pain taking away your ability to concentrate. You mentioned packing. Fortunately, I didn't have to do much of that, just a lot of organizing as to what to sell, donate, put in storage, or bring to our daughters. Now unless I look at pictures of our real estate listing I can't remember what we have and wonder why we kept all that stuff,

We are really enjoying being here. It's sometimes like living with two absent-minded professors, but we've had a lot of laughter and fun times. You mentioned being a diet buddy with Laura - sounds like a good idea. I've lost 32 lbs. and want to keep it off, so now I'm thinking about going back to weight watchers to keep it off, Never ending struggle, isn't it??

Carol, I don't remember if I mentioned revision. I may have to have one, but he wants me to strengthen my quads, and wait six months, so I'm real motivated to get stronger, but will do whatever it takes to get it right. And I'm looking forward to that visit to the U.K. hopefully next year, so save some ploughman's for me. Have a good day. Dorothy
 
Carol, I have no idea. We went out to dinner one night, I went to ladies room and took it off and it must have fell out of my purse in the booth, never to be seen again. You're right, I couldn't find the second one after the pool party, must have been too much wine. They were not stockings, more like sleeves, but I'm not spending $40 on another one.

Dorothy
 
Have you given the grand kids back? Are you managing to take it easy? Carol

Yes, all back at school now. :happydance: I see the cardiologist tomorrow to check on the pacemaker. The wounds have healed up well, so we'll see how the pacing is going tomorrow.

Resting well, except last night a light bulb exploded into a million tiny pieces all over a room, thankfully no-one was in the room, but what a mess.

Sue.
 
...you know if anyone new to Bonesmart came on here ( THIS THREAD!) they would think they've come to the wrong place! Maybe Brainsmart" for us, or AWOL stockings are us, or Tiger bread lovers when the chips are down?!!
Carol, glad to here your order from the S&M shop has arrived & your 100% satisfied :heehee:
Dorothy, so pleased to hear your still having a lovely time while lodging with your daughter & son in law! I can manage an hour with mine, 2 if there is a bottle of wine open :whistle:
FINGERS CROSSED everyone but HOPEFULLY I will be in my new house 3 weeks tomorrow! This packing lark is so TEDIOUS :sad: However, it has to be done. Carol, I think if I manage to register with a new, GOOD Doctor, I will run my miserable little scenario by them & see what they say. It's a bit like going to a new hairdresser, you could come out feeling GREAT or you could come out feeling like a MUPPET... No change there for me then :heehee: Unfortunetly, having consumed at least 1/2 the loaf of Tiger bread & pâté...then had 1/2 a packet of shortbread fingers, I lost the will to do any more packing due to bloaty bread belly & too many sugary biscuits headache...bad times :thud:
 
glad to here your order from the S&M shop has arrived & your 100% satisfied
I really am. I am sex on leg. I've put the black leather and lace garter just above my compression stocking, ensuring just the tantalizing tip of my TKR scar is on show. And if I say it myself, I'm hot to trot. Not too sure what to do with some of the complementary stuff, but you can never have too many safety pins.
 
Hi Dorothy,

I don't remember if I mentioned revision.
No you didn't. I thought revisions were only necessary if the hardware was faulty! Best not to think about it, it may not be necessary. Remember what my OS said to me about the MUA and it turned out not to be necessary.

Josephine said some while ago that OSs have admitted to giving patients surgery against their better judgement, just because they feel they have to offer something. Stick with the gentle exercises and rest. Don't think about the what ifs (did I actually say that. Been here too long). Chin up. xx Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom