TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are too funny. I am laughing so loud I'm choking. I've changed my mind though. One prince is all I can handle. Pantomine in America? I'm not sure. I know what it is but the only place I've seen it is in New Orleans in the French Quarter.
 
Snowfiftyshadesofgrey

Carol Parent (CP) This is much funnier than what you said
Carol Child (CC) I know, I KNOW
CP What you gonna do about it
CC If I knew that, I'd have already done it. How about if I went on the attack. Some comment about how we all know why white was swopped for green and what goes on with all those merry men.
CP Its weak. She'll know she has you on the ropes. Just hit that thingymejig that says `Informative' and get out of there ASAP.
CC Done
 
About 6.5 months now. Thought I would take stock. Much calmer about everything, but can never completely stop the worry. The worry is always about will this knee ever feel OK again.

There are 3 main issues 1. by about 6pm every day my knee doesn't want to bend anymore. Its extremely uncomfortable if I try to walk after 6pm . If I get onto my bed and my knee is straight, at least the discomfort stops. 2. the tight band is still there, possibly a little less than a few months ago, but still unpleasant 3. walking continues to be uncomfortable. I can still only walk slowly. Stopping regularly to rub the nerve pain away.

I've given myself 18 months from date of op to fully recover. This seems like a really long time, and as such, I shouldn't have any difficulty achieving it - in theory. I have a whole year left. Will continue to tell myself I am OK and on track. Stay optomistic, take each day as it comes. And stay well away from the `what if' stuff. It would be so much easier if I could see the OS every couple of months, just so that he could check everything really is alright. But the NHS doesn't allow that level of care. So may as well forget it.
 
Good to read your update today, Carol. I'd decided to do one myself later today as I'm 3 months out of surgery.

I'm anticipating an extended recovery, I never recover from anything quickly, do you? I tend to make a good recovery when I do eventually get there.

It would be good to have more contact with our surgeons, I'm not sure where I'll be with mine after the 3 month check up, I'm soon to be discharged from my physio.

I do hope your 6pm watershed improves and your walking too. We might be slow but we'll surely get there, I hope.

Hugs or Bugs,
Sue. :friends:
 
Thanks Sue, I have never got used to the 3 steps forward, 2 steps back that is my recovery. You would think after 6 months that I would know the drill by now. Yesterday I did a stack of things - went for an eye test, when to the pub, did some shopping etc. Today I get up, everything much the same. I did some housework, exercises and by lunch time my knee felt the way it feels by the end of the day - it wont bend and walking is extremely uncomfortable. So I went to bed to rest it. Of course I couldn't sleep. After an hour, here I am in my office in front of the laptop.

It will be a different story tomorrow, but it does mean that you can't really plan anything - much the way it was before the op. Fortunately, I had nothing planned for today and my husband is away working. All the time I can't trust it, means life is on hold - much the way it was before the op.

I am sorry for the moan. I'm a 6monther now and should try and behave like one. Instead I behave like someone at the 6week stage.

Don't let my stuff depress you. We are all different and YOU will be fine at 6 months out.
 
I doubt I'll be fine by 6 months :shrug: to be honest. I've been trying to do Open University courses for umpty years. I keep withdrawing, deferring. I'm on Alert Status whatever that is now....she's a nuisance probably!! I'm about to try to take a year off as I've no confidence I'll manage a course Feb to Oct because of knee. Do you have grandchildren, we have ooodles that absorb time and energy like sponges, although they are gorgeous?
Sue.
 
No children, so no grandchildren. My sister is the same, so I can't borrow hers. I'm sure if I had them I'd love them, but what you've never had you never miss. Sue, your RTKR was it down to osteoarthritis?
 
Yes, it was osteoarthritis. My knees have been going downhill since an injury to the non operated one when I was 15. I just ignored the swelling and so on until a few years ago, by which time they were far gone. It's familial, we're going down like flies, I have a brother with Down's who's never walked much or done any physical activity and he has it too. I fear I may have it in my neck and shoulder.
Is yours?
 
My first symptoms were 15 yrs ago. But it was a very slow decline. I only ever had two may be 3i nstances of bone on bone pain, then I had the op. Thing is I always thought illness of any kind happened to other people - NOT to me. I still think there is a part of me that is in denial. Its a mind over matter thing. In my mind I am an Amazon.

Don't know about having it elsewhere. I do know that I get terrible neck ache. Its embarrassing to say, but I think my head comes forward more than it should and it puts pressure on the neck muscles - although only on the left side!

You know, this is a terrible thing to say, particularly in a public forum where others are trying their best to be positive and get through it, but FOR ME I question the value of living longer and longer. I can't see the point of getting to a ripe old age if its all pain and gloom. I had a friend who drank too much. He died at 60 - fell down dead at the bar counter. His motto was always a short life, but a merry one. I didn't get it then, but I do now.

What treatment can they offer you for neck and shoulder arthritis?
 
I don't know, I'm in denial about my neck and shoulder! I've had a lot of illness over the last 11 years, not illness exactly but necessary operations and an accident. I'm ready for a clear spell, ha ha! I was in a lot of pain from my knees, one settled but the other was described as an irritable knee, bone on bone for a long while but I was advised to delay TKR.....then I had an arthroscopy that revealed how bad it was and I hit 65 and we went for it, but even in the end I delayed with another injection thinking I could get through an academic year......it wasn't to be.
I am glad I had it done, the arthritis pain has gone and I'm hopeful the knee will eventually feel like a goodun! You'll get there, hopefully.
Alzheimer's is worse, I dread getting that.
Sue.:tada:
 
Alzheimer's is worse, I dread getting that.

But if you've got Alzheimer's I guess you don't know it. I don't mind being stark, raving mad so long as I am totally unaware of it - in fact come to think of it I might very well be. Now there is food for thought. Somebody once said if you think you might be mad - that's proof positive that you aren't. I don't think I'm mad - worrying or what! Carol
 
RestAssured Hoping you could advise me. I'm over 6 months post op. Nothing unusual about my knee prior to op and apparently operation was straightforward. Extention 0. Flexion 90-120. OS has discharged me. Problem is that whilst I get good days I am still getting a lot of bad ones. Walking still slow and uncomfortable, after about 6pm in the evening knee wont bend much. Still got the tight rubber band, but a bit less than a couple of months ago. Think I might have overdone it on the housework today, as knee really bad. Had to take to my bed. My question is do you think there is any cause for concern given that I am now over 6 months post op? Of course I know that recovery can take up to a year (and some). I also know that we are all different, so the fact that others are healing far quicker than me, is just how it goes. But a bit worried today. Would very much appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. Carol
 
Carol

You said you overdid it today. Did you ice and elevate it? Take anything for pain and stiffness. That band feeling is your body telling you that you are still in the healing process. Try ice and Tylenol or Motrin and rest. You should feel better in a day or so. Too much can be as bad as just not moving at all.
 
RestAssured Took pain killers and rested. Icing and elevating doesn't seem to help anymore. Its interesting that you think the band feeling is my body saying it is still in the healing process. If its that, its much easier to live with than thinking something is wrong. As I'm now over 6 months I feel I want to do more, but your message is still about being very careful. I thought I would give it a few days and if its still as bad go see my GP. Don't want to be a time waster, but also don't want to take risks. Thank you for your advice. Carol
 
Hi Carol,
I still get a tight band feeling. Not all the time but it comes and goes depending on how much I have been overdoing it.
A the moment my left knee is peachy perfect with no discomfort at all. I am sure this is due to the enforced bed rest.
Maybe you need a kneecation to allow your knee to rest.
I am sure it is a perfectly normal part of the healing process but if you are concerned it is a good idea to see someone.
Hope it settles soon, Toothfairy x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom