TKR Everything Comes to She Who Waits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you're in pain. Yes, there are days with these knees that we wonder. Hope tomorrow's a better day.xxBugs, Dorothy
 
Dorothy! Lovely to hear from you :) I'm afraid I try not to talk about my knee too much. I have moments when I've forgotten that I've had a TKR... And there are moments when I think chopping my leg off would be a much better alternative :sad: Night times are possibly the worse. The need to try & get the leg straight is all consuming. Sometimes the pain that radiates from it is so bad, well, you'd have thought this was pre TKR NOT afterwards :sad: But like others, you have to just " get on with it" so that's what I'm trying to do! How are you doing? How is life living with your family? Is your new house coming along now? How is your new knee doing?
 
Hi Mutley, we're enjoying living with our daughter, her partner, and her four cats. Went our to the new place last night for a pool party. It's like being on vacation for us right now. the house is moving right along, they are framing right now and we're pleased with how i lays out on the lot with views, etc. Are you still in house limbo? Like you, I try not to think about the knee too much. Have been going up and down stairs a lot but aside from the stiffness and some pain, I just try to ignore it and "get on with it" as you say. And like you I've had thoughts 9f chopping the leg off. Oh well onwards and upwards.
 
Hi Carol,
I hope today will be a better day for you.
I have had some odd twinges too, not as bad as yours but it is disconcerting.
I am just taking a couple of paracetamol and ignoring them as mine aren't too bad.
Take care,
Toothfairy x
 
Carol, if I remember correctly I went through a spell of this. Mostly at night but felt like I'd had an electric shock gone straight through my knee. Very intense & rather disconcerting to say the least. Then, it seemed like everything had settled down again. Maybe it's the same with you, something inside is finding it's way back home but letting you know all about it :)
Have managed to walk the mutts without getting soaked this morning. Had to stop often to rub the bones below the knee & even sit down at one point :sad: It's gonna be a wet day here today & my mood is competing with the dismal weather...stormy! Our buyers want to come round tomorrow to measure up so have a lovely day of trying to make this house look half decent, clean & tidy...Bum :sad:
 
Hi Jaki, My `thanks everyone, I'm off to go it alone' didn't last long did it. Do you think BS could be addictive. Yes the feeling was just like an electric shock - in fact 3 shocks in quick succession. It happened 3 times yesterday, but nothing today. It could well be the knee is still adjusting. But it sure is scary. I didn't think there was any more that it was going to hit me with. I was wrong. Knowing what you know now would you have had TKR?

Getting my right knee done wont happen for at least 6 months (I think), but I honestly don't know where I am going to find the strength to cope. That one that goes `there are others worse off than me, so be grateful and carry on' has never worked for me. My mum used to say it all the time when I was a kid. I got to resent the starving/deprived children of the world because it meant that I was never allowed to be down about anything. And l don't think human are wired that way.

I take it that the house sale has gone through? Have you got a moving date?
 
The house sale is STILL going through :sad: Our buyers just want to come round to measure up & check if they're furniture will fit etc. I'm half expecting bad news tomorrow as our buyers & moving into our house with they're daughter AND they're parents! It's the parents who had a property to sale. They offered to move out to stop the chain falling through & then they're buyers had the nerve to say to them if we don't exchange on Wednesday & move by end of next week then we're pulling out. Believe me when I say this house buying & selling business REALLY brings out the worse in some people :sad: I spoke to our buyers & she said this had so stressed out her father he has now been very poorly. I'm hoping they will have better news to share with us tomorrow....
We are now looking provisionally at the 26th September to complete & move but the way things are going I'm not going to hold my breath...

I think you will find the sensation in your knee was nerves trying to re-position themselves where they are more comfortable as the rest of your knee is getting stronger. Yes! I did say you we're getting STRONGER! This will probably happen a few more times yet & then everything should settle down for a while...HOPEFULLY!

I love the fact that I can now use some good old fashioned " cliche" phrases.....

AT THE END OF THE DAY...I didn't have a choice other than the TKR. Who knows how much WORSE our knees would be by now if we HADN'T had the knee replacement?
It's done now so counter productive to even think about not having had the op done, cos it has been!
When the time comes to have your 2nd knee done you will be FINE! Lets be honest in THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS the recovery can't be any worse than what your currently experiencing, can it? At least you will know what to expect, how hard to push the exercises, how much you should be icing, elevating, exercising & resting. You'll be ready for when the tears flow, the sleepless nights, the re-arranging of pillows to try & get some comfort. When PUSH COMES TO SHOVE you will think, been there, done it, almost survived it so this time I'll show this new knee who is boss & you will be on here a few months later saying, " What was I making such a fuss about?" !!!!!

The sun has nearly come out therefore must get some washing on the line! Can my Sunday get anymore exciting????
Anyway, that decision is months away so keep concentrating on THIS knee & save the " What it's" for another time :SUNsmile:
 
Carol, it may be the weather causing some of the pain. I woke up in pain (my whole tkr leg) this morning and it's cloudy and we're supposed to have thunderstorms today. Jaki, you mentioned how we might end up if we hadn't had our TKR's. We went to dinner with our daughters and a couple of her co-teachers, and they were talking about one of the teachers in their department they hope retires soon. She has refused to have a TKR, is in a scooter, and it's really affected the quality of and her ability to teach. She is an example my daughter used to convince me that I should have it done. Of course I swore at my daughter and my husband, but announced a couple of weeks ago that I'd forgiven them. So I think your idea is great Jaki. Let's just get on with it and SHOW THIS KNEE WHO IS BOSS!!!!


Carol, you mentioned the pool party sounded kind of Hollywood, but it's actually how we survive the Texas heat. I didn't even go in the pool. It was too cold for me and I'm a warm water wuss, but I enjoy the spa greatly. Able to do my stretches, and they keep it about 100 which is perfect. It was a beautiful balmly night so I just like to pretend I'm in the tropics somewhere.

Jaki, sounds like your house move is coming along but it is about the most nerve wracking thing you can go through. The market is such here that you can't sell your house unless you have a place to go to. We're very fortunate to be able to stay with our daughter, because apartments are so expensive and mostly yucky.

Carol, I hope you're knee is feeling better. I don't know why these knees continue to act up. I did nothing yesterday - took 2 naps, went out for dinner and was in bed at 9:30. I too have had the nerve pain thingy. The OS told me it is a nerve regeneration going on and is actually a good thing. Mine were mostly at night and would wake me with a start. So, here's to a better day.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
Hi Jaki Did you know that as the weeks and months roll on your counselling skills go from strength to strength. You may not be able to do the surgery side of TKR, but you sure can do the post op bit. Anybody can do the `cliche' phrases (and they are helpful), but you have gone far beyond that. This is an example:

This will probably happen a few more times yet & then everything should settle down for a while...HOPEFULLY!

And the real clever bit is that you are always dead right. ( I know you weren't right as far as the lotto numbers were concerned, but that is quite different).

You seem to have reached some agreement with your knee. It reminds me of something Mary62 said. That some of us have to lower our expectations and at the same time the knee continues to improve. At some stage expectations and healing meet and its then that we are OK. When you can take the pebble from my hand glasshopper..............

You know I will be so relieved when the 26th September arrives and you are in your new house. I've heard some pretty awful house sale stories, but yours takes the biscuit. The system needs to change. I've no idea why we don't adopt the Scottish way. I'll bet money is at the root of it.

Had an odd day today. Went to pub only to find they had run out of Harvey's (a local brew that my husband loves). We left and went to pub No. 2. It was so busy we couldn't get served, so we left. At pub No. 3 we found that you could only get a table if you were eating, so we left. Not to be beaten, when we got home we opened a bottle of champagne. I downed mine quite quickly, and I didn't so much fall asleep as pass out. I've got a bit of a headache now.


so keep concentrating on THIS knee & save the " What it's" for another time

If you say so. xx
 
I think it's the nerves reconnecting and 'reaching out' to each other.
Up until now I'd have said 'no way' to another knee but now, if it was necessary then yes I'd do it. I hope it won't be for quite some time though.
 
Hi Nancy, I've always thought that pain was your body's way of telling you something was wrong. But from what others are saying this seems to be the exception to the rule. You are a long way post op now. I'd be interested to here in the `How have you managed to cope' thread what got you through. What was the reason for your TKR? When its osteoarthritis it seems that both knees will have to be done.
 
Yaaaaay gone away for the weekend and come back to find the double act Carol and Mutley are back on. Thank you Ladies. Ive been giggling away at all your posts and youve cheered me up no end. Had a really good weekend away and decided I wasnt even going to think about the flippin knee just ignore it and have a good time. Well it worked quite well. Ive come back refeshed and well even tho I brought back two very swollen ankles and feet. I can only put this down to the amount of walking Ive done which is much more than usual. It was nice to have a break from thinking "knee" thoughts anyway Im looking forward to a good week ahead. Thanks again for coming back Ladies. You were missed.
 
Excuse me butting in but I've so been enjoying reading your threads and banter. I get you all mixed up and can't remember who's who but it's such fun compared with going it all alone. Just wish I'd found BS earlier.
Sue.:happydance:
 
Excuse me butting in but I've so been enjoying reading your threads and banter. I get you all mixed up and can't remember who's who but it's such fun compared with going it all alone. Just wish I'd found BS earlier.
Sue.:happydance:

Dabber, it's NEVER too late to have found Bonesmart :) I think I was about 9 weeks post op & my goodness, what a life saver it's been for me! Information is one thing but the " virtual " friendships is what REALLY gets you through. Welcome aboard & chip in when ever you want too :flwrysmile:
 
Mutley Thank you kindly :angel: I'm 12 weeks post op now but also had a Pacemaker fitted 2 weeks ago too so it's all been a bit chaotic.....
Leg was right, pacemaker left, really feel quite, quite in the wars. Pacemaker fitting took nearly as long as TKR as the lovely surgeon.....I've had all lovely surgeons, couldn't get the implanted loop recorder out.
@patient99 I will not hi-jack your thread any more today.:)
Sue.:groan:
 
Rough time sleeping last night and now I can hardly wake up, come on coffee, kick in, Must get a shower and make the day worthwhile,

Jusr feel like I could climb in bed and sleeo rest of day,

Dorothy
 
It must be infectious, I've done just that. Slept all day.
Sue
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom